Black Culture Discussion Thread

This is simply not true. Black culture as a whole is imitated. To say it's strictly black American Culture that is imitated would mean your uninformed. And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that.
I'd say that you are willfully ignorant, and that is okay. It simply means that it isn't my problem.

This is simply not true. Black culture as a whole is imitated. To say it's strictly black American Culture that is imitated would mean your uninformed. And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that.

Agreed, a lot of these brothers in here never left America it seems....lol, they think they only black people are in America.

Listen, I dont want this thread to turn into black people from one area talking bad about black people from another area. Its silly and counterproductive.

I LOVE AFRICAN-AMERICA, just as I LOVE CARIBBEAN-AMERICANS, just as I love AFRICANS.. Yall need to wake up and realize BLACK people EVERYWHERE going through the same ****.

Agreed, a lot of these brothers in here never left America it seems....lol, they think they only black people are in America.

Listen, I dont want this thread to turn into black people from one area talking bad about black people from another area. Its silly and counterproductive.

I LOVE AFRICAN-AMERICA, just as I LOVE CARIBBEAN-AMERICANS, just as I love AFRICANS.. Yall need to wake up and realize BLACK people EVERYWHERE going through the same ****.
Look, you come from one perspective that did not live through the Black American Civil rights movement, nor the Black power movement. You are from the the Caribbean, correct? You did not grow up understanding the importance of the Black Panthers, or why the NOI was truly feared by the entire American establishment. They, the government, had to go and ask Elijah to stop calling them Devils, because the rest of the Black world had gotten wind of it, then began using it. This was a BLACK thing. Garvey was the one who wanted to unify the entire diaspora under the guise of Blackness, for the very reasons that I mentioned earlier.

Now, I am well traveled, been all over the world. So when some idiot suggests that Black people aren't respected globally? You need to question the motives of that individual first, instead of agreeing with him. Muhammad Ali was loved GLOBALLY. More entertainers around the world cite Micheal Jackson as their artistic influence than anyone else. Micheal Jordan is revered globally as well, and you are cosigning that Black people aren't respected? Why don't you remind them that if any one of aforementioned showed up in any part of the world? Tears of joy soon followed.

We, BLACK people, run this ****. White people know it too.

Last edited:
I'd say that you are willfully ignorant, and that is okay. It simply means that it isn't my problem.

KHUFU you get a THUMBS DOWN

TOMDIGINSON you get a THUMBS UP

Look, you come from one perspective that did not live through the Black American Civil rights movement, nor the Black power movement. You are from the the Caribbean, correct? You did not grow up understanding the importance of the Black Panthers, or why the NOI was truly feared by the entire American establishment. They, the government, had to go and ask Elijah to stop calling them Devils, because the rest of the Black world had gotten wind of it, then began using it. This was a BLACK thing. Garvey was the one who wanted to unify the entire diaspora under the guise of Blackness, for the very reasons that I mentioned earlier.

Now, I am well traveled, been all over the world. So when some idiot suggests that Black people aren't respected globally? You need to question the motives of that individual first, instead of agreeing with him. Muhammad Ali was loved GLOBALLY. More entertainers around the world cite Micheal Jackson as their artistic influence than anyone else. Micheal Jordan is revered globally as well, and you are cosigning that Black people aren't respected? White don't you remind them that if any one of aforementioned showed up in any part of the world? Tears of joy soon followed.

We, BLACK people, run this ****. White people know it too.

My issues was when you specially said that Black-American culture is whats being stolen, and tomdiginson tomdiginson said black culture at large is being stolen and you disagreed.

Bro, I respect the hell out of the struggles that black America went through, but dont think ONLY black Americans went through a struggle. The black diaspora went through their own struggles worldwide and continue to go through them. Thats all I'm saying.

My issues was when you specially said that Black-American culture is whats being stolen, and tomdiginson tomdiginson said black culture at large is being stolen and you disagreed.

Bro, I respect the hell out of the struggles that black America went through, but dont think ONLY black Americans went through a struggle. The black diaspora went through their own struggles worldwide and continue to go through them. Thats all I'm saying.
Nope. The discussion was about BLACK v. AFRICAN as an identity.
I was replying to this......
tomdiginson said:
Opposite sides of the same nonsensical coin. Many people left their homeland(by force or on their own accord) and came here to and helped fight for civil rights. To sit here and say this was strictly done by Blacks who born here is some foolishness. In case y'all haven't noticed, blacks as a whole are looked at as inferior throughout the world. No need for us to further cause division amongst ourselves.

If we are talking about Black people, then there is no doubt about what I have stated. WE have influenced the entire world, regardless if they want to admit their admiration or not. They want to be US.

If we are talking AFRICAN, well, the BLACK POWER movement started right here in the united states, which had a global effect on how Black people and other people of color fought against oppression.

Either way his comment was offensive, and you cosigned it.

tomdiginson said:
Opposite sides of the same nonsensical coin. Many people left their homeland(by force or on their own accord) and came here to and helped fight for civil rights. To sit here and say this was strictly done by Blacks who born here is some foolishness. In case y'all haven't noticed, blacks as a whole are looked at as inferior throughout the world. No need for us to further cause division amongst ourselves.

If we are talking about Black people, then there is no doubt about what I have stated. WE have influenced the entire world, regardless if they want to admit their admiration or not. They want to be US.

If we are talking AFRICAN, well, the BLACK POWER movement started right here in the united states, which had a global effect on how Black people and other people of color fought against oppression.

Yes, the Black Power Movement started in America

But, what about the Haitian Revolution? What about Garvey leaving Jamaica with the Pan-African ideals to create the UNIA in America? What about all the fight agaisnt colonialism in Africa.

Bro, all im saying is that Black Revolutions are NOT specific to America.

Yes, the Black Power Movement started in America

But, what about the Haitian Revolution? What about Garvey leaving Jamaica with the Pan-African ideals to create the UNIA in America? What about all the fight agaisnt colonialism in Africa.

Bro, all im saying is that Black Revolutions are NOT specific to America.
You are correct, and I did NOT deny that. However, read his comment again. It finished with Black people not being respected. Are AFRICANS included in his observation?

I am certain that you understand what I am saying here.

You are correct, and I did NOT deny that. However, read his comment again. It finished with Black people not being respected. Are AFRICANS included in his observation?

I am certain that you understand what I am saying here.

Yes, Im 99% sure he is talking about Africans too. Black people are people who are black from African descent, people from Africa included. Yall gotta gotta get yall terminology together man lol

Yes, Im 99% sure he is talking about Africans too. Black people are people who are black from African descent, people from Africa included. Yall gotta gotta get yall terminology together man lol
Did you ask him if that is what he meant, or are you assuming? He didn't differentiate between what part of the world actually looked down upon Black people.

Because as you well know, there are so called africans who claim that Black people from america? Are not african, therefore not to be respected. I had someone on here, niketalk, assume that my name was given to me by a white man, therefore making me less than he. Funny enough my name was not given to my family by someone white, of which the family name goes all the way back to EGYPT no less, which made me a bit more authentic than he..... :lol:

tomdiginson said:

Other nations look down at black people. They enjoy our culture and exploting us, but many of them look down on us. They may fear us, but they also despise us. I said blacks which encompass black people from everywhere. Stop feigning ignorance to try and win and internet argument.

Other nations look down at black people. They enjoy our culture and exploting us, but many of them look down on us. They may fear us, but they also despise us.
Okay, so now that sounds different.
You edited your comment, so I will respond in kind. It isn't about feigning ignorance as much as it is about understanding the platform that we are using. In my experience, there are many people on this site who do not want to identify with being Black, even though it is clear that they are. I am not going to name names, but there are quite a few here who will not admit to belonging in the back of the bus. So when I see slight of hand through commentary, I question the authenticity.

This is why BLACK is so much more powerful than calling oneself African. Black is political, and it is unifying. Being Black in proper context means that you know who the enemy actually is. Black ignores tribalism, and IMO, cannot be controlled.

Last edited:
Ok this is getting interesting.

cul·ture

the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group.

cul·tur·al ap·pro·pri·a·tion

the unacknowledged or inappropriate adoption of the customs, practices, ideas, etc. of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society.

If I, a Black American, wear a traditional African garb for Halloween...lets say Abacost or Senegalese kaftan am I in fact engaging in cultural appropration?

What happens if someone from that culture approaches me and greets me in thier language and I have ZERO idea what they are even talking about let alone what language they are speaking or what country they are from.

How do you think they would receive me looking like this:

becbb188143c76e2087120c4f2cc3fa9.jpg

senegalesekaftan.jpg

3:55 mark

Like brothers we REALLY need to stop this division between different types of black/African people.

I use to be petty like that too, Oh Afro-Americans said this about Africans" or "Africans said this about African-Caribbeans"

I aint with that talk

So in your view, the solution is to exterminate them all yes?
No.

On the flip side, there are people who do not identify as being white. I have no beef with them. There are cultures that did not take part in colonization. They are innocent. Those that are guilty, have already begun to eliminate themselves. My money is on them doing so all the way.

Last edited:
Okay, so now that sounds different.
You edited your comment, so I will respond in kind. It isn't about feigning ignorance as much as it is about understanding the platform that we are using. In my experience, there are many people on this site who do not want to identify with being Black, even though it is clear that they are. I am not going to name names, but there are quite a few here who will not admit to belonging in the back of the bus. So when I see slight of hand through commentary, I question the authenticity.

This is why BLACK is so much more powerful than calling oneself African. Black is political, and it is unifying. Being Black in proper context means that you know who the enemy actually is. Black ignores tribalism, and IMO, cannot be controlled.
Your ego prevents you from having proper dialogue. There is nothing wrong with being incorrect, but to lie and come up with a reason as to why you're incorrect is low. I did not edit the comment.

Your ego prevents you from having proper dialogue. There is nothing wrong with being incorrect, but to lie and come up with a reason as to why you're incorrect is low. I did not edit the comment.
Yes, you did edit it. Your first comment was the one I quoted. Your inability to tell the truth puts you in line with Trump.

Have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom