Black Culture Discussion Thread

for this to be a thread for black folks to uplift each other
seems that folks always putting each other down in here

Garvey may be a bit too extreme because he wasnt down with the bourgeoisies of the NCAAP and WEB Dubois.

When he got too powerful, they conspired with the FBI to try and take him down.

Also, Garvey main goal wasnt just for American blacks, but instead for all BLACK WORLDWIDE ESPECIALLY AFRICA

Marcus Garvey is an important part of African history in several ways. He led the largest ever black political movement in history, and his slogan “Africa for Africans” exemplified the primary mission of African politico-economic liberation, black control of religious, educational and cultural institutions and an audacious view that linked the destiny of Africa and its diasporas.
Garvey was part of a centuries-long history of diasporic blacks that sought re-connection with, and return to, the African continent akin to the biblical return to Canaan of the Jews. For continental Africans, Garveyism became a vehicle to express popular discontent with white rule, to animate and, in some cases, reinvigorate their political organisations, trade unions to create and control black-led churches and schools and to spark a prophetic liberationist Christianity that placed godly black people at the centre of a divinely-ordained historical drama that would lead to African redemption.

While most mentorship relationships happen between people who are close to one another, it is possible for them to happen between people who have never met. This kind of mentorship takes place where as a mentee, you actively seek out information about a mentor and then model your actions on those of the mentor.

Marcus Garvey, one of the greatest leaders of the Pan-African movement, was one such mentor who indirectly mentored many African leaders through his teachings. The leaders actively used his teachings in colonial and postcolonial Africa. Here are 5 African leaders who greatly benefited from the teachings of the great Marcus Mosiah Garvey Jr.

1. Patrice Lumumba
Patrice Lumumba

The first elected Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Patrice Lumumba is remembered for his great contribution towards the end of the colonial rule of Belgians in Congo. He was a great supporter of Pan-Africanism and strongly advocated for the end of colonial rule in Africa. Just like his mentor Marcus Garvey, Lumumba envisioned a united Congo which was free of colonial and external influences. He advocated for strong African structures and governance systems, which would help Africans and more specifically the people of Congo, navigate their own unique circumstances.

1. Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela

Seen as the father of modern South Africa, Mandela remains a political icon across the world. He famously led the anti-apartheid movement, which ushered in African leadership in South Africa. Mandela often stated that he admired Marcus Garvey and was a keen student of his teachings on Pan-Africanism. Mandela was greatly involved in African Nationalist politics and vehemently fought for an end to racial segregation in South Africa.

1. Steve Biko
Steve Biko

Another South African on the list, Steve Biko was a key figure in the anti-apartheid movement, which returned power to black South Africans. He is remembered as one of the founders of South Africa’s Black Consciousness Movement, which was influenced by the teachings of Marcus Garvey and advocated for African Nationalism.

1. Kwame Nkrumah
Kwame Nkrumah

Kwame Nkrumah is one of Ghana’s iconic leaders, having led the push to the end of colonial rule in the country. Nkrumah first encountered Marcus Garvey’s work when he was a college student in the United States and they greatly influenced his version of the struggle for an independent Ghana. Due to So influential was Garvey on Nkrumah, that the later went ahead to name the national shipping line, ‘The Black Star Line’ and Ghana’s flag has a black star in the middle.

1. Jomo Kenyatta
Jomo Kenyatta

Finally, our very own Jomo Kenyatta was a student of Garvey’s teachings of unification and Pan-Africanism. Kenyatta, Kenya’s first Prime Minister and later, president, was greatly influenced by the teachings of Garvey on African pride and made efforts to create a unified Kenya after independence, his vision being the social and economic development of the country.

Marcus Garvey had a tremendous impact on the lives of millions of people across the world. Through his teachings and ideologies, he mentored many people who formed various political organisations based on his ideologies. His greatest impact was on different liberation movements across the world, and especially in Africa, where many countries were clamouring for independence.

oh this is MLK on Garvey

MLK: Marcus Garvey Was the First
Posted on April 1, 2013
Martin Luther King pays respect to Marcus 2
On June 20, 1965 Martin Luther King Jr. visited Jamaica to speak at a valedictory service for the University of the West Indies. The next day he was given the Keys to the City of Kingston where he noted that “in Jamaica I feel like a human being.” Dr. King expressed pride in being among his “brothers and sisters on this wonderful island.”. Before he left Jamaica, the courageous outspoken preacher made one last stop to visit the grave of national hero Marcus Garvey to lay a wreath out of respect for the person who… “was the first man of color to lead and develop a mass movement. He was the first man on a mass scale and level to give millions of Negroes a sense of dignity and destiny. And make the Negro feel he was somebody.”

Also this was X on Garvey

1572289560034.png

so P Present keep your strawman arguments on WEB Dubois and Edgar Hoover about how they didnt like him because he was BLACK FIRST.

AFRICA and BLACK PEOPLE AT LARGE LOVES GARVEY, its quite sad you tried to present this petty argument against him.

Jesus I feel sorry for you. Have a great day gents, and remember love your brothers regardless if they American, Caribbean, or African.

Peace

man please we can make out jokes in the wrestling thread, but please just stop with the nonsense with me in here, simple. You have a good day brother
It's not nonsense and ironically you often come off as nonsensical; I wouldn't address it if I didn't realize that you actually aren't a troll and is deadass serious. I'm just trying to help you, but okay.

It's not nonsense and ironically you often come off as nonsensical; I wouldn't address it if I didn't realize that you actually aren't a troll and is deadass serious. I'm just trying to help you, but okay.

I don't care about your petty opinion of me, see you tomorrow morning in the wrestling thread. Have a great day

Wait, did I just read Marcus Garvey was a klansman :smh: c'mon son that is not what I got from reading that.
so P Present P Present keep your strawman arguments on WEB Dubois and Edgar Hoover about how they didnt like him because he was BLACK FIRST.

AFRICA and BLACK PEOPLE AT LARGE LOVES GARVEY, its quite sad you tried to present this petty argument against him.

Jesus I feel sorry for you. Have a great day gents, and remember love your brothers regardless if they American, Caribbean, or African.

Huh?

I think youre using the word Strawman wrong.

These arent "my arguements" - they are facts, and I never twisted your words to fit my narrative.

Thats why I provided links...for anyone to follow.

Also - never meet your heroes.

You might find out that they are just people...

Black people LOVE MLK but that doesnt mean he didnt cheat on Ms. Coretta Scott.

Sheesh!

Facts matter bro.

Are you here to communicate facts or are you here to be "right"?

One serves us all, and one is self serving.

I asked you for the Pan African website and you told me to kick rocks.

I just admitted to you that I dont know what Pan African means so that was your chance to share...but instead you all upset that I dont know what it is.

People throw words around all the time so I did my own research and it seems you cant be a Pan Africanist without considering yourself an African...which makes sense to me.

I just happen not to consider myself African...and that should be Ok, but if it aint...meh.

Garvey said in his own words that he considered himself African "My fellow Africans" - I provided a link to his actual recorded voice saying it.

Sheesh!!!

Garvey may be a bit too extreme because he wasnt down with the bourgeoisies of the NCAAP and WEB Dubois.

When he got too powerful, they conspired with the FBI to try and take him down.

Also, Garvey main goal wasnt just for American blacks, but instead for all BLACK WORLDWIDE ESPECIALLY AFRICA

Marcus Garvey is an important part of African history in several ways. He led the largest ever black political movement in history, and his slogan “Africa for Africans” exemplified the primary mission of African politico-economic liberation, black control of religious, educational and cultural institutions and an audacious view that linked the destiny of Africa and its diasporas.
Garvey was part of a centuries-long history of diasporic blacks that sought re-connection with, and return to, the African continent akin to the biblical return to Canaan of the Jews. For continental Africans, Garveyism became a vehicle to express popular discontent with white rule, to animate and, in some cases, reinvigorate their political organisations, trade unions to create and control black-led churches and schools and to spark a prophetic liberationist Christianity that placed godly black people at the centre of a divinely-ordained historical drama that would lead to African redemption.

While most mentorship relationships happen between people who are close to one another, it is possible for them to happen between people who have never met. This kind of mentorship takes place where as a mentee, you actively seek out information about a mentor and then model your actions on those of the mentor.

Marcus Garvey, one of the greatest leaders of the Pan-African movement, was one such mentor who indirectly mentored many African leaders through his teachings. The leaders actively used his teachings in colonial and postcolonial Africa. Here are 5 African leaders who greatly benefited from the teachings of the great Marcus Mosiah Garvey Jr.

1. Patrice Lumumba
Patrice Lumumba

The first elected Prime Minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Patrice Lumumba is remembered for his great contribution towards the end of the colonial rule of Belgians in Congo. He was a great supporter of Pan-Africanism and strongly advocated for the end of colonial rule in Africa. Just like his mentor Marcus Garvey, Lumumba envisioned a united Congo which was free of colonial and external influences. He advocated for strong African structures and governance systems, which would help Africans and more specifically the people of Congo, navigate their own unique circumstances.

1. Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela

Seen as the father of modern South Africa, Mandela remains a political icon across the world. He famously led the anti-apartheid movement, which ushered in African leadership in South Africa. Mandela often stated that he admired Marcus Garvey and was a keen student of his teachings on Pan-Africanism. Mandela was greatly involved in African Nationalist politics and vehemently fought for an end to racial segregation in South Africa.

1. Steve Biko
Steve Biko

Another South African on the list, Steve Biko was a key figure in the anti-apartheid movement, which returned power to black South Africans. He is remembered as one of the founders of South Africa’s Black Consciousness Movement, which was influenced by the teachings of Marcus Garvey and advocated for African Nationalism.

1. Kwame Nkrumah
Kwame Nkrumah

Kwame Nkrumah is one of Ghana’s iconic leaders, having led the push to the end of colonial rule in the country. Nkrumah first encountered Marcus Garvey’s work when he was a college student in the United States and they greatly influenced his version of the struggle for an independent Ghana. Due to So influential was Garvey on Nkrumah, that the later went ahead to name the national shipping line, ‘The Black Star Line’ and Ghana’s flag has a black star in the middle.

1. Jomo Kenyatta
Jomo Kenyatta

Finally, our very own Jomo Kenyatta was a student of Garvey’s teachings of unification and Pan-Africanism. Kenyatta, Kenya’s first Prime Minister and later, president, was greatly influenced by the teachings of Garvey on African pride and made efforts to create a unified Kenya after independence, his vision being the social and economic development of the country.

Marcus Garvey had a tremendous impact on the lives of millions of people across the world. Through his teachings and ideologies, he mentored many people who formed various political organisations based on his ideologies. His greatest impact was on different liberation movements across the world, and especially in Africa, where many countries were clamouring for independence.

oh this is MLK on Garvey

MLK: Marcus Garvey Was the First
Posted on April 1, 2013
Martin Luther King pays respect to Marcus 2
On June 20, 1965 Martin Luther King Jr. visited Jamaica to speak at a valedictory service for the University of the West Indies. The next day he was given the Keys to the City of Kingston where he noted that “in Jamaica I feel like a human being.” Dr. King expressed pride in being among his “brothers and sisters on this wonderful island.”. Before he left Jamaica, the courageous outspoken preacher made one last stop to visit the grave of national hero Marcus Garvey to lay a wreath out of respect for the person who… “was the first man of color to lead and develop a mass movement. He was the first man on a mass scale and level to give millions of Negroes a sense of dignity and destiny. And make the Negro feel he was somebody.”

Also this was X on Garvey

1572289560034.png

so P Present keep your strawman arguments on WEB Dubois and Edgar Hoover about how they didnt like him because he was BLACK FIRST.

Peace
Add Sankara to the list

P Present you dont need to be born on the continent of Africa to be considered yourself a Pan-African. It simple means to fall under the umbrella of the African diaspora.

Since you dont consider yourself "African" then I wont waste my time trying talk to you about it.

It's not an organization, its a black consciousness that believes we cant go anywhere as a race until Africa is back strong. You cant be strong collectively in America as black people without Africa being strong. Simple

So there is no website to give you 100% fact and guidelines, its a conscious movement.

If you are not down for the upliftment of the AFRICAN/BLACK diaspora regardless of nationality (USA, Brazil, Jamaica, Kenya, Haiti, Nigeria, etc) then you're just not on that wave bro.

P Present you can call yourself whatever amd be proud of the fact that you are "black" or "American", but as a black man you shouldnt be ashamed of the "African" label.

I always tell people I love being "Jamaican" and all that comes with it, I always love now that I can say I am "Africa-American" since I have now lived here most of my life and now a citizen, but I LOVE being "African" because its bigger than myself and once you see the beauty of the diaspora and the struggle we are all going through because of enslavement and colonialism you will understand.. Peace be with you my brothers, I literally spent the whole day at work on NT lol. Bye

This is called the Black Culture thread, guess what? Black Culture isnt just African-American culture.

Black is synonomous with AFRICA. Thats where black people come from you know.

So please love all of the Blackness/Africaness, we are all one brothers. Ok, Im going home now. Goodbye

I embrace my African heritage, but I am Black.

People who call themselves African first, leave holes open so that the devil can slip through. People who identify with being Black are aware of those holes, then have the option to close them at any time.

Being African identifies with the continent, not the struggle. That is because the whole continent isn't aware of that devil in all of his forms. Sometimes that devil can call himself African, then getting away with it.

I'm African-Jamaican living in America, you can call me "black" too, and I want to see all people of African descent be in better place in this world.

Simple, thats me and I own it.

Im not here to tell you all what yall should call yall selves, thats not that serious. I do think that if youre about black people rights and upliftment you should be about ALL BLACK people and not just the people in your country?

Am I right?

Last edited:
Meh...I believe we are as diverse as any other group of people so I really can’t say one way or the other if I should be concerned about all black people just because they are black.

Everyone who is your color is not your kind.

Europeans are the ones who divided us based on skin color so I have a hard time limiting people to that.

People are just people IMO.

I’m more of a content of character than a color of skin kind of person.

With that being said – I absolutely 1000% agree that Black people are the most hated and disrespected people on the planet.

No matter where we are from.

There is a real reason for that.

Just knowing our history and how we got here would help A LOT!!!

Fellas, why is this thread created? Was it not to celebrate "Black Culture"? meaning "Culture from people coming from Africa?"

or am I wrong?

The answers in this thread is a microcosm for black people in general. We can all say we look alike, have the same rhythm but we still having issues with saying even though we are diverse we are technically the same.

Jesus....

Homeboy combo gd combo gd first thing he said when creating this thread was LACK OF UNITY, and here we are with brothers coming in here and wanted to bring up how they more connected to different things other than BLACKNESS

This thread is an oxymoron.

1572373778162.png

That's the thing... I'm not sure I can define black culture. Is that an issue? I don't know, which is why I thought it would be a good idea for us to discuss it here.

And I was referring to "Blacks in America"
This is a "Black Culture thread." The person that started this, myself, and likely the majority of people that clicked on this thread probably associates "Black culture" w/ Black Americans. This is technically a Black American thread.

Damn Khufu!!!

Mans came through like Romelo in Sugar Hill!!

I have handed out quite a few *** whuppin's over the years due to the stupidity of white supremacy, and those that it has influenced. Make no mistake about it, there are many who do not want to be connected to anything Black, simply because of the historical significance behind the term. They, do not want to be connected to, or identify with, slavery at all. I for one am proud of what MY ancestors have survived, and I use it to check any one of those so called supremacist that not only did we survive? We flourish.

The strongest survived that Middle Passage, and that is what you are dealing with right now.

WE are the ones who made Black and Proud an anthem, and we are the ones that created the culture both financially and spiritually, that the western hemisphere flourished through. THAT is nothing to be ashamed of.

You got a bunch of punk@$$es here who only want to be BLACK, when it is convenient.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom