Black Culture Discussion Thread

I've gotten good advice, but many of them don't know how to approach the youth. Maybe they've done so already in the past and have been rejected. Seen it numerous times first hand.

definitely could be the approach on both ends. some youngins aren't trying to hear anything from the elders, and some elders refuse to see things as they are opposed to how it use to be. there definitely has to be a meeting point tho

The truth doesn't change no matter how old you are.

The reason most people don't offer advice to the ignorant is that they won't appreciate it.

Putting wisdom before knowledge is dangerous and things that are given freely aren't valued.

To cast pearls before swine means to offer something very valuable to someone who is unable to appreciate that value. Most often, the phrase is rendered as the admonition don't cast your pearls before swine, meaning don't offer what you hold dear to someone who won't appreciate it.

“Do not cast your pearls before swine,” He says, “Do not give dogs what is sacred.” An analogy mentioning dogs is also used in Proverbs: “As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly” (Proverbs 26:11). A dual reference to swine and dogs is also found in 2 Peter 2:22, “Of [false teachers] the proverbs are true: ‘A dog returns to its vomit,’ and, ‘A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud.’”

Most folks don't actually want the truth.

They simply want you to agree with them/tell them that they are right.

If you don't then they will make an enemy of you.

Matthew 7:6

Do not give dogs what is holy; do not throw your pearls before swine. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

Last edited:
i think there is some truth that older/previous generation(s) today may feel their advice/wisdom would be unappreciated but i also think the actual opportunities for interactions inter-generationally & the context of those interactions often don’t make good chances to communicate…such that the words of elders often sound like criticism rather than helpful advice/guidance

not sure if younger folk are in regular contact in circumstances that allow for conversations where ‘game’ can really be given where it would be relevant & they’d be open to hear/receive it

Last edited:
This the same woman who has worked for various white media companies :lol: , many of which have also had complaints of racism in their ranks

So I work for a white company, like most of us do. Does that mean we cant call out racism?

Whose side are you on? Jemele Hill or Ron DeSantis?

So I work for a white company, like most of us do. Does that mean we cant call out racism?

Whose side are you on? Jemele Hill or Ron DeSantis?

She called out black people for working for someone she thinks is racist.... but gladly accepts checks from the same kind of people :lol: .

It's hypocritical as hell. I've grown sick of all these "pro black" people who do nothing but generate money for white media companies while simultaneously complaining about whiteness every chance they get.

also there is hell of middle ground between not agreeing with her stance & being in support of Desantis :lol:

She called out black people for working for someone she thinks is racist.... but gladly accepts checks from the same kind of people :lol: .

It's hypocritical as hell. I've grown sick of all these "pro black" people who do nothing but generate money for white media companies while simultaneously complaining about whiteness every chance they get.

also there is hell of middle ground between not agreeing with her stance & being in support of Desantis :lol:

um you know what, nevermind

Still trying to figure out why an African's opinion should matter to me as a Black American born and raised here.

I'm not sure I could go to Nigeria and open my mouth about Nigerians or how their corrupt government sold them out to Shell Oil decades ago.

If I was on that panel - many feelings would be hurt and all damns would be absent. :lol: :smh:

oohhhh boy its back to diaspora wars in here. The pettiness is back

Remember there is another thread that isnt about Black Americans vs Africans vs Caribbeans

Peace and black power

giphy.gif

The video title is misleading (clickbait) - but it give you a different perspective and their experiences in Africa and America along with Blacks in America.

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out why an African's opinion should matter to me as a Black American born and raised here.

I'm not sure I could go to Nigeria and open my mouth about Nigerians or how their corrupt government sold them out to Shell Oil decades ago.

If I was on that panel - many feelings would be hurt and all damns would be absent. :lol: :smh:
That woman's children (if she has any) will be born here, just like your kids. I'd hope you would want them to understand the whole history of this country and not just the stuff they learn in school, which is knowledge that often comes from parents and close family.

While slavery won't be their past, she and her black kids will live with the racism and the socioeconomic struggles and misconceptions that came from it.

That woman's children (if she has any) will be born here, just like your kids. I'd hope you would want them to understand the whole history of this country and not just the stuff they learn in school, which is knowledge that often comes from parents and close family.

While slavery won't be their past, she and her black kids will live with the racism and the socioeconomic struggles and misconceptions that came from it.

Non sequitur Fam.

But since you brought it up...

Briefly dated the daughter of African immigrants from Eritrea.

She was terrified to be seen with me in public or let it be known she was dating me.

Her family was not having it - all because I was an American.

Once I figured it out, I cut her off with the quickness.

Imagine me moving to Eritrea and forbidding my kids from dating Eritreans under penalty of disownment / being sent back to the US.

Just like my kids? Man, please.

These folks' kids are going to grow up being taught that they are different than us...and they are.

Why do we as Black Americans need Africans from Africa to be our friends/understand us? I don't get it.

What is this need to ally with people who look down on us...in our own country, where we paved the way for them to even be here in the first place?

What's wrong with minding our own business?

Non sequitur Fam.

She was terrified to be seen with me in public or let it be known she was dating me.

I have relatives who married Black women, and I know Black men who married African women, and we get along well.

Also, I highly suspect that her parents didn't like you because you weren't Eritrean, not because you were American.

Those who grew up on the continent will understand the nuance.

Imagine me moving to Eritrea and forbidding my kids from dating Eritreans under penalty of disownment / being sent back to the US.

These folks' kids are going to grow up being taught that they are different than us...and they are.

Why do we as Black Americans need Africans from Africa to be our friends/understand us? I don't get it.

What is this need to ally with people who look down on us...in our own country, where we paved the way for them to even be here in the first place?

Did that white cop lady ask Botham Jean were he was from before she shot him? Did the cops who shot Amadou Diallo ask his name?

They saw black people.

Using your singular experience to paint a whole group is exactly what these white folks who move from small towns to cities do when they have negative experiences with black people.

Non sequitur Fam.

Honestly it's not because you are black. It's more so they want to preserve the culture and language.

Most Africans want to pass down their native language and customs for generations and not just have kids only speaking European languages

Alot don't want to lose their identity and get washed up in European culture cuz that's not who we are.

Alot don't want to lose their identity and get washed up in European culture cuz that's not who we are.
Too late.

The school culture and the office culture down there is a remnant of colonial customs. :lol:

****, look at what lawyers wear when in court...

"Who we are" changes all the time, even when we don't notice it...

I have relatives who married Black women, and I know Black men who married African women, and we get along well.

Also, I highly suspect that her parents didn't like you because you weren't Eritrean, not because you were American.

Those who grew up on the continent will understand the nuance.

Did that white cop lady ask Botham Jean were he was from before she shot him? Did the cops who shot Amadou Diallo ask his name?

They saw black people.

Using your singular experience to paint a whole group is exactly what these white folks who move from small towns to cities do when they have negative experiences with black people.

Honestly it's not because you are black. It's more so they want to preserve the culture and language.

Most Africans want to pass down their native language and customs for generations and not just have kids only speaking European languages

Let me move to Eritrea talking about wanting to preserve my culture and language :lol: :smh:

Also -

Are you talking about the man whose family was in the courtroom hugging on the cop that shot him?

Yeah, we don't do that here.

Last edited:
Let me move to Eritrea talking about wanting to preserve my culture and language :lol: :smh:

Also -

Are you talking about the man whose family was in the courtroom hugging on the cop that shot him?

Yeah, we don't do that here.
Talking about ole girl

Also, that has already been done. Go read up an Liberia. Specifically the Americo Liberians.

American foreigners are not exactly known for socializing with the locals in African countries.

I'm sure that door swings both ways Fam.

Far be it from us to love our language, history, culture, and heritage, just as much as anyone else loves theirs.

I don't need anyone or anything on the continent of Africa to validate my existence as a Black man is all I'm saying.

I love my people just as much as Africans love theirs.

Not sure why Black folks need Africans to understand racism when we have been over here dealing with it for centuries. :lol:

Whether or not an African immigrant understands/respects my history or culture is none of my business.

What Africans got going on aint supposed to be on Black Americans' to-do lists.

We have PLENTY of problems watering our own grass to worry about what Africans think or feel about us.

No hate or disrespect at all.

Talking about ole girl

Also, that has already been done. Go read up an Liberia. Specifically the Americo Liberians.

Again - No hate or disrespect at all.

Why do I need to know about Liberians?

I'm American Fam. I have no interest in going to Liberia.

I'm sure it's a nice place.

I'm also sure that if I went there those folks won't see a Black man - they'll see an American man.

I'm also sure I need a passport to enter their country - even though we are all "Black".

Not sure why I shouldn't see a Liberian when they are over here in my country.

They needed a passport too.

Last edited:
Can't really think of too many elderly men that have given me important advice. But honestly the world is so different between current times & the world of someone who's 70-80
I presume a 70-80 old black man's grind was harder than ours. Why not drop a few gems along the way? When we die, everything we could have given dies with us. I think we all should leave something (i.e. public speaking, volunteer with the youth).

I've gotten good advice, but many of them don't know how to approach the youth. Maybe they've done so already in the past and have been rejected. Seen it numerous times first hand.

That's fair. My lil niece got a boyfriend and she introduced me to him. The first thing I told that light-skinned negro was "Don't wear anymore pajamas outside". Young fella had the nerve to wear them to school/basketball game. He said he will work on it.

It's crazy with the youth these days. You tell a young man to pull his pants up and it might go left. When I was young, we had enough respect for the OG's not to cuss/sag pants around them.

I can recall a few times when someone told me "Boy, I know your father". That straightened me right up.

This the same woman who has worked for various white media companies :lol: , many of which have also had complaints of racism in their ranks
Have you read up on the beef between her and Chris Berman? Dude tried to G-check an apology out of her and then left a NSFW message on her phone. She had Michael Smith listen to the message which she sent to HR.

Once HR heard the message, the matter went away.

Deion WILDIN’

Trying to gentrify the band? Nah Patna
I'm happy for Prime and wish him nothing but the best.

But I can't front, he doing too much with this one.

CU band is gonna try hard, but, this might get cringy.

There's a reason why Cola don't taste like Coca-Cola.

I'm sure that door swings both ways Fam.

Far be it from us to love our language, history, culture, and heritage, just as much as anyone else loves theirs.

I don't need anyone or anything on the continent of Africa to validate my existence as a Black man is all I'm saying.

I love my people just as much as Africans love theirs.

Not sure why Black folks need Africans to understand racism when we have been over here dealing with it for centuries. :lol:

Whether or not an African immigrant understands/respects my history or culture is none of my business.

What Africans got going on aint supposed to be on Black Americans' to-do lists.

We have PLENTY of problems watering our own grass to worry about what Africans think or feel about us.

No hate or disrespect at all.

Again - No hate or disrespect at all.

Why do I need to know about Liberians?

I'm American Fam. I have no interest in going to Liberia.

I'm sure it's a nice place.

I'm also sure that if I went there those folks won't see a Black man - they'll see an American man.

I'm also sure I need a passport to enter their country - even though we are all "Black".

Not sure why I shouldn't see a Liberian when they are over here in my country.

They needed a passport too.
That's honestly a lot of rambling about nothing.

I asked you a question you dodged: did they ask Amadou Diallo his name before they shot him?

The lady wasn't speaking from Nigeria. She was speaking from somewhere in the US, where your background as a Black person matters very little when it comes to public perception.

She gained an understanding of the condition of the Black person in the US and empathized with their anger. Did you even watch the video?

Back
Top Bottom