Black Culture Discussion Thread

Again - No hate or disrespect at all.

Why do I need to know about Liberians?

I'm American Fam. I have no interest in going to Liberia.

I'm sure it's a nice place.

I'm also sure that if I went there those folks won't see a Black man - they'll see an American man.

I'm also sure I need a passport to enter their country - even though we are all "Black".

Not sure why I shouldn't see a Liberian when they are over here in my country.

They needed a passport too.
That was a rebuttal to you stating

"Let me move to Eritrea talking about wanting to preserve my culture and language"

It does and has happened

That's honestly a lot of rambling about nothing.

I asked you a question you dodged: did they ask Amadou Diallo his name before they shot him?

The lady wasn't speaking from Nigeria. She was speaking from somewhere in the US, where your background as a Black person matters very little when it comes to public perception.

She gained an understanding of the condition of the Black person in the US and empathized with their anger. Did you even watch the video?

Its the audacity for me :lol:

Fam demanding answers to non sequitur/rhetorical questions while dismissing/categorizing other folk's statements as "rambling about nothing".

I need to know who I'm talking to - especially when they are attempting to project a position of superiority in communicating with me :lol: :smh:

...and Godfrey is Nigerian!

He would never be caught on a panel questioning Black folks about racism in the US.

He even calls out his own folks for the foolishness.

Fools want me to stand up and clap for folks that just now realized Asians don't speak in subtitles because all they knew about Asians came from watching Kung Fu movies :smh: :lol:

I have relatives who married Black women, and I know Black men who married African women, and we get along well.

Also, I highly suspect that her parents didn't like you because you weren't Eritrean, not because you were American.

Those who grew up on the continent will understand the nuance.

Did that white cop lady ask Botham Jean were he was from before she shot him? Did the cops who shot Amadou Diallo ask his name?

They saw black people.

Using your singular experience to paint a whole group is exactly what these white folks who move from small towns to cities do when they have negative experiences with black people.

maybe there is nuance...but there may also be a difference between the opinions of those that are on the continent and have never been in proximity to black americans or visited america vs. those from the continent that have emigrated such that there are definitely africans in america that do make that distinction for (black) americans...whether or not that was the case in his situation is unknowable from our vantage point...but from his perspective the distinction would be kinda irrelevant

I'm sure that door swings both ways Fam.

Far be it from us to love our language, history, culture, and heritage, just as much as anyone else loves theirs.

I don't need anyone or anything on the continent of Africa to validate my existence as a Black man is all I'm saying.

I love my people just as much as Africans love theirs.

Not sure why Black folks need Africans to understand racism when we have been over here dealing with it for centuries. :lol:

Whether or not an African immigrant understands/respects my history or culture is none of my business.

What Africans got going on aint supposed to be on Black Americans' to-do lists.

We have PLENTY of problems watering our own grass to worry about what Africans think or feel about us.

No hate or disrespect at all.

Again - No hate or disrespect at all.

Why do I need to know about Liberians?

I'm American Fam. I have no interest in going to Liberia.

I'm sure it's a nice place.

I'm also sure that if I went there those folks won't see a Black man - they'll see an American man.

I'm also sure I need a passport to enter their country - even though we are all "Black".

Not sure why I shouldn't see a Liberian when they are over here in my country.

They needed a passport too.

even tho i don't have anything against 'pan africanism' i do think it is something of a distraction because what you say is demonstrable true, black america's concerns aren't necessarily the same as africans on the continent (or african living in america for that matter) & vice versa, obviously...that said where the interest do align/converge it would make sense to, altho again not neccesary, get understanding of where each are coming from so that any partnership has the a better chance of being fruitful. depending on the context tho, one side will almost certainly have much more (or less/no) incentive to understand the other

Its the audacity for me :lol:

Fam demanding answers to non sequitur/rhetorical questions while dismissing/categorizing other folk's statements as "rambling about nothing".

I need to know who I'm talking to - especially when they are attempting to project a position of superiority in communicating with me :lol: :smh:
It's not a rhetorical question, and you know damn well what the answer is.

So please, tell me more about the audacity of this woman (or any Black immigrant) to tell their story about their changing perspective.

The only time she said something about Black people in the discussion was to agree with their feelings. You're the one who took a moment of shared understanding and turned it into a personal grievance.

maybe there is nuance...but there may also be a difference between the opinions of those that are on the continent and have never been in proximity to black americans or visited america vs. those from the continent that have emigrated such that there are definitely africans in america that do make that distinction for (black) americans...whether or not that was the case in his situation is unknowable from our vantage point...but from his perspective the distinction would be kinda irrelevant
I disagree,

The thing is, very few Africans Americans are aware of the depth of the cultural fault lines that exist within Africa.

Growing up, we had to be careful about some the girls we were talking to, due to their family very conservative (let's say xenophobic) values when it came to relationships. Girls from the northern part of the country (mostly Muslim Fulanis and Hausa) were dating dudes who didn't belong to their tribes or religion in secret. A noticeable number of African immigrants have kept the same values when they arrived in this country, and this behavior is only attenuated by whether the interested party has (or is perceived to have) money and status, and some families would still try to force a religious conversion out of the dude.

What he was describing could have happened to any non-Eritrean dude.

Again in a perfect world the idea of pan-africanism sounds amazing & like a really helpful thing, but given the current dynamics of the world i just don't see it being realistic on a large scale.

It's not a rhetorical question, and you know damn well what the answer is.

So please, tell me more about the audacity of this woman (or any Black immigrant) to tell their story about their changing perspective.

The only time she said something about Black people in the discussion was to agree with their feelings. You're the one who took a moment of shared understanding and turned it into a personal grievance.

I'm telling you about your audacity Fam :lol:

It aint about her.

I watched the entire video that Grine posted, not just the clip.

There were 6 topics discussed from various points of view (outside trusting the police) so not sure what "shared understanding" you're talking about.

My point is why should I care what an immigrant from Africa thinks or feels about my people in this nation?

My lived experience is no more or less valuable than anyone else's and there were VERY few Godfreys amongst the Africans I've met/been around.

I no Black, I Nigerian.

I no Black, I Ghanaian.

I no Black, I Eritrean.

I no Black, I Ethiopian.

As soon as the cops show up...

Black Lives Matter :lol::smh:

Also:

Rhetorical Question
(noun):

a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.

Then got the nerve to talk about "feelings". :smh: :lol:

Again in a perfect world the idea of pan-africanism sounds amazing & like a really helpful thing, but given the current dynamics of the world i just don't see it being realistic on a large scale.

Pan-Africanism, the idea that peoples of African descent have common interests and should be unified. Historically, Pan-Africanism has often taken the shape of a political or cultural movement. There are many varieties of Pan-Africanism. In its narrowest political manifestation, Pan-Africanists envision a unified African nation where all people of the African diaspora can live. (African diaspora refers to the long-term historical process by which people of African descent have been scattered from their ancestral homelands to other parts of the world.) In more-general terms, Pan-Africanism is the sentiment that people of African descent have a great deal in common, a fact that deserves notice and even celebration.

Still waiting on someone to explain to me how we can have Pan-Africanism when the continent of Africa itself isn't and has never been unified (nor should it be IMHO).

Aint nobody talking about a unified Europe or a unified Asia or a unified America.

There are currently more countries in Africa than there are States in the United States and most would say the US isn't truly "unified" (especially politically).

Ex: The United States itself is only 158 years past the civil war.

There are only 4 countries (out of 54) and a province that are over 158 years old in Africa (Liberia, Ghana, Ethiopia, Egypt, and the KwaZulu-Natal Province in South Africa).

I don't get the Pan-African thing, and it's really none of my business.

IJS believing in Pan-Africanism doesn't make anyone more or less Black no matter what Umar Johnson is talking about. :lol:

If you want to denounce your citizenship, pack it up, and move to Africa then so be it.

I'm staying right here and watering my own lawn vs thinking the grass is greener across the street.

Last edited:
Most African immigrants share that thought actually. It's the "akata people dem" they look down on. Least around these parts.

being appreciative of those that made a path isn’t mutually exclusive to also ‘looking down’ on those very same people…and of course this is not always the case or even the majority but it does exist

Cats gotta stop using dramatized hollywood films as factual evidence. We all know who finances and runs Hollywood

One anecdote out of a large sample size doesn't mean anything.

Y'all gotta stop falling for the deception

i’m nigerian as well, i can definitely corroborate 🤣 that the terminology in question is/has been used in reference to black americans altho i don’t believe the translation is anything like ‘cotton picker’ but ‘wild cat’ or ‘homeless cat/animal’ not that that really makes it any better…the idea that there is some cabal tasked with doing this stuff is laughable tho

Back
Top Bottom