Black Culture Discussion Thread

giphy.gif

That's y'all Nigerians then.

Nigerians aren't the only Africans

sure, that specific term is specific to nigerians & maybe familiar in other west african countries, not sure…but i don’t think the ideology for own cultural preference (or condescension/superiority depending on how you look at it) is not specific to nigerians specifically or africans generally, many ethnically ‘black’ folk & immigrants generally could have that view & outright discriminate, or dissuade too much fraternizing with others, or at the very least have a preference for their own culture; it all functionally could be seen as the same from an ‘outsider’s’ perspective, especially when it there seems to be a particular bias against black americans

as godfrey notes in that video in reference to dominicans saying they aren’t black, some immigrants when they get here to the states take on that negative connotation of what it means to be black, then layer on cultural pride and it’s not surprising they take that “i no black” stance but i think it’s a lot different when traveling to other countries as a black american

Last edited:
I disagree,

The thing is, very few Africans Americans are aware of the depth of the cultural fault lines that exist within Africa.

Growing up, we had to be careful about some the girls we were talking to, due to their family very conservative (let's say xenophobic) values when it came to relationships. Girls from the northern part of the country (mostly Muslim Fulanis and Hausa) were dating dudes who didn't belong to their tribes or religion in secret. A noticeable number of African immigrants have kept the same values when they arrived in this country, and this behavior is only attenuated by whether the interested party has (or is perceived to have) money and status, and some families would still try to force a religious conversion out of the dude.

What he was describing could have happened to any non-Eritrean dude.

I always say…wait til you hear a Ghanaian REALLY talk about a Nigerian. Or vice versa :lol:

It ain’t just better jollof jokes. Same goes for anywhere in the diaspora truly. Jamaicans & Trinis for example. Y’all think “Akata” is bad…whew…

Similar in other places. Africans that emigrated to America over the last 60 or so years, have had an interesting experience. On the shoulders of the civil rights movement, and Black Americans & general global pan Africanism in the 60s. There was a lot more unity then.And community and better understanding. By the 80s & 90s up to the 2000s, you saw a mix of Assimilation in Black American communities with Africans, and some more minority **** as well. People in the diaspora, that come to America are either fascinated or scared of Black Americans (from what the media puts out). What we’re seeing now is, the African kids that took the jokes/bullying or misunderstanding or whatever…have just grown up, and lashing back. It can become nasty, because some can forget why they are in the position in the first place. But on the converse, African immigrants been “other-d” in some Black American communities as well.

I’m pretty fortunate to come up in a TRUE pan African family/community etc. People from everywhere with all kinds of roots/perspectives. From the African Booty Scratcher to Akata to everything in between. It’s similar sides to a coin. I think at the end of the day, most Black people of the diaspora align on most things. And recognize white supremacy for what it is globaly, and shared experiences etc. That’s always been the unifying thing.

People think there is a separation, I argue it’s closer now (in real life), than a decade before.

Universe is funny. I was just trying to remember the name of a brand Lupe Fiasco was wearing back in 07 or 08 that I eventually saw in marshalls in like 2010 or 2011.

And I couldn't remember it for the life of me...until I saw your link.

😂 definitely scooped few pieces from tj maxx/marshall around that time, still low key nice

Typically I'd disagree and say mind his business, but I can't defend them shenanigans.
I'll ask this again, why didn't he claim the blicky was fake? I would've.

Typically I'd disagree and say mind his business, but I can't defend them shenanigans.
I'll ask this again, why didn't he claim the blicky was fake? I would've.
I've been judging Ja on his mistakes. Then I realize I do dumb **** every day and should really get my **** straight before worrying about Ja. That's about as close to a defense I'll generate for Ja.

That said, I'm really glad he didn't lie. Lying would be him continuing down the path of being a **** up. He really needs to turn the corner on these mistakes.

I know the, "Respectability politics" folks will have something about this but.

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Shay ain’t lied.

I remember some kids stole our puppies as kids. My aunt was passing by their house and saw our puppies. They rounded all us up, we went over there and got our dogs back.

Like if y’all wanted a dog, ASK! The same dude who did it was did stints in prison (cool dude, we’ve always had mutual respect). But like Shannon said, it be taking prison for these boys to understand.

I’ve witnessed kids bill other kids from ACROSS the street. Literally walking across the street. Some kid walked over and told a kid that he can’t read. When I saw the kid with his head down I said “look man, don’t ever let someone talk bad to you. Walk with your head high and if he says something slick, say something slick back!”

I know the, "Respectability politics" folks will have something about this but.

I don't think you need to racialize it.

I think there is a larger problem with later gen x and millennials where they valorize children,
we grew up in a cultural context where the villains in every narrative about history were the adults,
and we watched media where self actualization ("follow your dreams") and autonomy are prized above everything.

the culture has also become more feminized and attuned to more female levels of empathy.
everything is "complex" we need to defer to people's "lived experience"

now that that generation have gotten old,
adults are much more apprehensive about pulling rank on young people and tell them they are wrong and stupid.

nobody wants to be the villains in a civil rights movie, or the scolding parents in 90's teen movie.

this is happening with every race of people, it's not unique to "black culture" imo.

also enforcing standards of conduct is not "respectability politics".
people get these terms and apply it in dumb ways.

respectability politics is when you fixate on respectability as a way of AVOIDING or distracting from making social change.

there is no social change in the Ja Morant situation. Nobody thinks we need a civil rights movement for flashing pistols in the club.
it's socially enforcing standard of conduct,

which is what older men SHOULD do for younger men.

Should’ve lived like it was ‘99 and not go live on social media.

social media aspect of this is huge

ja far from the first 23 year old to do a bunch of dumb shh and going be far from the last.. with or without money

ideal world he has an older dude who can get through to him.. but again, far from the first and far from the last who wont have that.. we've seen plenty NBA players blow opportunities

but we just werent granted this level of access to them blowing it or doing dumb sh

Is it common for 23 year olds with opportunities like this to flash pistols in the club on SM?
...after having a story leak in the summertime of you beating up a "teen"...and after having a story during the season where members of an NBA organization say you and your crew rolled up on them after the game and shined a laser into the team bus, a laser they believe to have been attached to a gun... and after the story from the summer about beating up a kid gets updated to say it was a 17 year old who was playing pick up at your house and that you threatened him with a gun as well...and after a story leaks that your mom got into it with someone at finish line, called you up, and you and your crew made threats to folks up there

...after all that, who says to themselves...let me take a gun into a club AND hop on SM to show it off. That's why I'm easily caught up in judging dude. How many dumb choices do you need to make in a row before you wake up?

But like I said earlier, I do dumb**** everyday too.

Is it common for 23 year olds with opportunities like this to flash pistols in the club on SM?

Yes. The average 17-25 year old nowadays grew up posting and recording everything they see.

They are hard wired to post, record, and be talkative

These young dudes nowadays will literally hit a lick, and post a video of them flashing the money within hours :lol: :lol:

Dudes will accuse someone of dropping dime on them, when there’s already a digital trail of your capers or wrongdoings

Last edited:
...after having a story leak in the summertime of you beating up a "teen"...and after having a story during the season where members of an NBA organization say you and your crew rolled up on them after the game and shined a laser into the team bus, a laser they believe to have been attached to a gun... and after the story from the summer about beating up a kid gets updated to say it was a 17 year old who was playing pick up at your house and that you threatened him with a gun as well...and after a story leaks that your mom got into it with someone at finish line, called you up, and you and your crew made threats to folks up there

...after all that, who says to themselves...let me take a gun into a club AND hop on SM to show it off. That's why I'm easily caught up in judging dude. How many dumb choices do you need to make in a row before you wake up?

But like I said earlier, I do dumb**** everyday too.
I don't get the defense of this latest action specifically because the issues leading up to the gun incident.
Yes. The average 17-25 year old nowadays grew up posting and recording everything they see.

They are hard wired to post, record, and be talkative

These young dudes nowadays will literally hit a lick, and post a video of them flashing the money within hours :lol: :lol:

Dudes will accuse someone of dropping dime on them, when there’s already a digital trail of your capers or wrongdoings
Very few of those dudes have the opportunity that Ja does at the moment. I see it happen regularly with those dudes who got nothing to lose and they really put the yo in lo. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom