Black Culture Discussion Thread

With that said, as students, they must know how to make their speech match the social context they're in and their audience. The teachers are doing the right thing to correct them within the context of the classwork. As long as they know how and where to use "proper" English, I don't have an issue with them also using more informal forms of English or their own regional dialects.

Bingo. Nothing wrong with this.

But I could see why (in 2023) a white person feels like they shouldn't touch that topic but I feel like not correcting them isn't as much of a "protection" as they think it is.

Kids need to know time/place and nothing is wrong with correcting language.

I guess I sometimes struggle with this idea of, "Just letting us be" is always what's best for us. Regardless of who the "correction" is coming from, some behaviors SHOULD be addressed.

1693597619474.png

Language evolves

But I could see why (in 2023) a white person feels like they shouldn't touch that topic but I feel like not correcting them isn't as much of a "protection" as they think it is.

I guess I sometimes struggle with this idea of, "Just letting us be" is always what's best for us. Regardless of who the "correction" is coming from, some behaviors SHOULD be addressed.

This use to be a thing but now any type of low brow behavior & actions shouldn't be condemned or questioned because these new ****** learned the phrase "antiblack" :smh: .

I’m fine with white ppl staying in white ppls business. The whole idea of so called professionalism when it comes to language is nonsense anyway because it’s determined by the dominant culture (white folks). I’ve heard white ppl at all levels of seniority say some of the wildest, most vulgar stuff in professional settings, yet if I were the call something “cap” or say “finna” then I’m the unprofessional one?

I’m fine with us teaching us the time and place for certain things. But I really don’t want to hear correction from white folks.

Precisely. How you talk with your friends will not be the same way you do you with co workers, family and strangers. The lines begin to blur.

This use to be a thing but now any type of low brow behavior & actions shouldn't be condemned or questioned because these new ****** learned the phrase "antiblack" :smh: .

That is why the, "Respectability Politics" convo is so blurry to me.

Are we able to want to see different behaviors from our folks without it meaning we are doing it to look good in front of white folks?

I get the idea of no lt letting them create the standard for us but in reverse it can promote unchecked degenerate behaviors at times too.

I take it back to the scenario in Dallas (?) When those women were standing on the furniture and tweakingnin that brunch spot owned by the black man. He said he didn't want his spot to be that type of place and people got on him for
A. Playing music that promotes tweaking
B. Not allowing black women to just be free/natural.

Sometimes I just don't know what can/should be allowed to be checked.

Are we able to want to see different behaviors from our folks without it meaning we are doing it to look good in front of white folks?

I get the idea of no lt letting them create the standard for us but in reverse it can promote unchecked degenerate behaviors at times too.

I take it back to the scenario in Dallas (?) When those women were standing on the furniture and tweakingnin that brunch spot owned by the black man. He said he didn't want his spot to be that type of place and people got on him for

I believe we have agents of chaos within our community. As Umar mentioned, some of them have to go sleep for good.

I ain’t defending twerking on tables but buddy’s spot serves absolutely massive frozen drinks in tequila bottles that would put the heaviest drinker on the floor. You overserving people and playing “Back That *** Up” at club levels, the outcome is not surprising.

I’ve said it before, but there’s way too much “trap day party, city girls brunch” from upper middle-class negroes who then get offended when ignorant **** occurs. It’s weird.

9/10 those who use the "respectability politics" "anti-black" phrases in response to clear out of bounds behavior are really projecting their need for white validity.

Like in the example you used, A black man wants to set a certain precedent for his restaurant, prefers a certain ambiance & is accused of wanting to please whites. it's insane

I remember women on line deadass acting as if they couldn't help themselves from shaking *** because "twerk music" was on.

Black woman online went viral for sayig she don't want Sexy Redd/Suki & the image they portray to represent her... Black women were in the comments killing her :lol:

Every ethnicity have people who do lower brow things, but we the only ones who get upset when people call to correct it

I’ve said it before, but there’s way too much “trap day party, city girls brunch” from upper middle-class negroes who then get offended when ignorant **** occurs. It’s weird.

Boy….living in DC-ATL….being from Baltimore, and THEN also being around folks from like Morehouse-Spelman type people is a major trip.

I thought the Jack N Jill type **** was made up. I be around it now by relationship, and it’s a trip how these people lack perspective on things at times :lol:. It’s weird, because they fetishize and also gravitate towards things they see as “real” but only for a brief moment. I got so many thoughts on this :lol:. Especially with how I be coming. **** be funny. But it’s some good folks there. There is this show called, “Summer House - Martha’s Vineyard”.

This is really a thing man. Idk what to make of it yet, but imma be with these type of folks for a few days. Pray for me! :lol:

wavycrocket wavycrocket what is the jack and Jill type?

Always hear it but west coast jack and Jill is a far cry from the east coast

It’s really the same **** to me man :lol:. I linked with some folks from Oakland. They def seem a lil more grounded…but when push comes to shove, they do resort to their “talented 10th” type **** over anything. Almost like it’s ingrained in them. But they seem to know/feel better. So anytime that somebody enters their circle that THEY perceive to have more “real” experiences…their antennas perk up. And this can be good/bad depending on the interaction. But you know how normally, the avg black dude can sus out a situation for what it is, and where it’s going. Some of them miss that. And then act surprised when things happen. It’s a trip to me at times. And I don’t know how I got here. But I’m here. And my lady feels very much the same way. As somebody else, who “snuck in” :lol:. That feeling out of place is a real thing.

Hard to explain. But not for me. Be telling them folks about their selves on the humble, and they don’t say nothing. Strange indeed. But they needed too.

I hear ya. At the end of the day bad behavior……is bad behavior, doesn’t really matter who calls it out. A lot of OUR women are out of control so of course there is going to be pushback or resistance when they get called out accordingly.

In regards to adults correcting kids/children that act or speak unprofessionally I’m all for it. Doesn’t matter who does it. Due to the facts that the vast majority of black kids don’t grow up in a 2 parent household the lack of education/decorum shows in our kids and they need to be called to task for the failures in their household.

Chicks do be wildin at spots, looking crazy at times but you gotta set the tone for your place…They twerkin on couches cuz that’s the vibe they getting, you don’t see em doing that at red lobster too much :lol:

You mix hookah/drinks/food/city girl type music the crowd gon move a certain way

Boy….living in DC-ATL….being from Baltimore, and THEN also being around folks from like Morehouse-Spelman type people is a major trip.

I thought the Jack N Jill type **** was made up. I be around it now by relationship, and it’s a trip how these people lack perspective on things at times :lol:. It’s weird, because they fetishize and also gravitate towards things they see as “real” but only for a brief moment. I got so many thoughts on this :lol:. Especially with how I be coming. **** be funny. But it’s some good folks there. There is this show called, “Summer House - Martha’s Vineyard”.

This is really a thing man. Idk what to make of it yet, but imma be with these type of folks for a few days. Pray for me! :lol:

Not sure if familiar but taking a deep dive into the “black bourgeoisie” history in America.

There was place in Upper Michigan similar to this as well.

Inkwell is one of my favorite movies too, and talks about our history up Martha’s Vineyard

Had my guy Larenz tate around them folk wilding out

97D324FD-9F4C-44CC-BC7B-991C97A6459B.jpeg

4DD673BB-BAA3-499D-8410-E2975F582A70.jpeg
19E5DFD1-2E0A-4981-AF96-4D159D7FB01B.jpeg

Last edited:

It’s really wild though. My upbringing was pretty middle class, but going to Howard was a complete culture shock. Jack & Jill kids going to class with blazers and boat shoes on talking about how their parents are gonna let them bring the Benz to school next semester. Then on the flip side you got the rich kids tryna prove they’re “real” so they start lying about where they’re from, selling drugs and doing card scams :lol:

i feel like it all comes back to ppl putting their kids in really white environments. Yeah maybe they got a better grade school education but, mentally, a lot of em end up really insecure about who they are as a Black person in this world

It’s really the same **** to me man :lol:. I linked with some folks from Oakland. They def seem a lil more grounded…but when push comes to shove, they do resort to their “talented 10th” type **** over anything. Almost like it’s ingrained in them. But they seem to know/feel better. So anytime that somebody enters their circle that THEY perceive to have more “real” experiences…their antennas perk up. And this can be good/bad depending on the interaction. But you know how normally, the avg black dude can sus out a situation for what it is, and where it’s going. Some of them miss that. And then act surprised when things happen. It’s a trip to me at times. And I don’t know how I got here. But I’m here. And my lady feels very much the same way. As somebody else, who “snuck in” :lol:. That feeling out of place is a real thing.

Hard to explain. But not for me. Be telling them folks about their selves on the humble, and they don’t say nothing. Strange indeed. But they needed too.
Got it . the snuck in part is interesting and unfortunate.

I appreciate you sharing.

If you have the urge to start twerking on restaurant chairs because of a margarita and background music, you need to hit up betterhelp.com. The owner was right because he asked them politely first and then they kept doing it. No need to handhold and baby grown *** people for being called out.

"White-gaze" excuse is stupid when folks are in predominately black spaces. Black people like decorum and decency too, that don't got **** to do with White people.

If you have the urge to start twerking on restaurant chairs because of a margarita and background music, you need to hit up betterhelp.com. The owner was right because he asked them politely first and then they kept doing it. No need to handhold and baby grown *** people for being called out.

"White-gaze" excuse is stupid when folks are in predominately black spaces. Black people like decorum and decency too, that don't got **** to do with White people.

Nah, they will just tell you that you only want to behave because white people have set the precedent on what "behaving" looks like.

Like I said, folks seriously try to act like white folks have exclusive rights to acting with decency.

Everybody be tryna talk and act black anyway. It's kinda creepy. Had an older 50 something white dude at one of my jobs give me the brotha handshake when I met him. In 5 years when all these black acting teens grow up, gentrified black culture will be the standard

Back
Top Bottom