Black Culture Discussion Thread

How, when the treaty is to ensure that they don't get attacked by their neighbors?

And, speaking as an African-raised, the popular support for these military leaders will be short-lived as soon as the honeymoon phase is over if the military governments do not offer a clear economic vision (no high hopes on that front from me...)

BTW, @wavycrocket, the new Gabonese president is the former president's cousin, so I don't think we should celebrate these coup d'etats so fast....
Do you ever get tired of talking all the time? The three parties in the alliance are collaborating on economic opportunities and working to suppress the rebel groups that originated in Mali and have been persistent. By coming together to eliminate these rebel groups in the present, despite not doing so in past regimes, could this be seen as an example of Pan-Africanism? It's comparable to the Delian league.

By coming together to eliminate these rebel groups in the present, despite not doing so in past regimes, could this be seen as an example of Pan-Africanism?
No because they're not just coming together to fight islamist groups; they're also coming together to prevent ECOWAS from restoring the democratically elected president in Niger. Now if you're somewhat familiar with the politics of West Africa, it wouldn't come as surprise to you that for the putschists, the extremists would be less of a threat to their newly acquired power than international sanctions/military action by the likes of Ivory Coast and Nigeria.

My birth mother, black woman born in Alabama in the 1940's, told me the exact same thing.

*Ye shrug*
Screenshot_20230921_131837_Chrome.jpg

Lets keep it a buck, during the Snoop Dogg era....that was the point. Im assuming is adoptive mother was white.

No because they're not just coming together to fight islamist groups; they're also coming together to prevent ECOWAS from restoring the democratically elected president in Niger. Now if you're somewhat familiar with the politics of West Africa, it wouldn't come as surprise to you that for the putschists, the extremists would be less of a threat to their newly acquired power than international sanctions/military action by the likes of Ivory Coast and Nigeria.
I didn't say that was their main objective. They have a shared interest and chose to form an alliance for the betterment of all parties involved rather than acting solely in their own self-interest.

I didn't say that was their main objective. They have a shared interest and chose to form an alliance for the betterment of all parties involved rather than acting solely in their own self-interest.
Those three countries were already part of ECOWAS, which seems to work a lot better than the neighboring CEMAC/CAEMC when it comes to promoting intraregional economic and military initiatives.

Those military leaders created this new alliance out of self-preservation: they don't have the support of Senegal, Nigeria, or Ivory Coast, and they are willing to drive their countries into the hands of Russia. That's where the dig at your "Afrocentrism" comment came from.

Lets keep it a buck, during the Snoop Dogg era....that was the point. Im assuming is adoptive mother was white.

My issue with today is how we like to go back in time and judge thinks with modern standards.

My private HS didn't allow dudes to grow their hairs out. No rows. No bushes. No plaits. No nothing. At the time, it was widely believed that was the look of a thug.

But of course in this modern type we like to pretend everything was always as it is today.

Went to Hampton University...

HAMPTON, Va. - Afros are OK but cornrows and flowing dreadlocks are
not for business administration students at Hampton University.

The hair code is part of a strict academic and dress doctrine for
combined business administration students at the private,
historically black university. The program allows students to receive
a bachelor's degree and a master's in business administration in five years.

In addition to the hair rules, students must maintain a B average
after their sophomore year, heed a conservative dress code, complete
two internships and meet regularly with business leaders.

"We don't have problems with Afros," business Dean Sid Credle said
Friday. "A nicely tapered Afro - that's fine."

Credle said the dress, grooming and behavior rules are intended to
prepare students for the starched business world.

"When we look at the top 75 African Americans in corporate America,
we don't see any of them with extreme hairdos," he said.

With the requirements, "they'll get very comfortable wearing a suit
over a five-year period. When they get into corporate America, the
transition will be easier," Credle said.

Aaron Wells, a junior from Fairfax, put away his earrings when he
enrolled. He's got no complaints.

"It really gives us a very good model of what we should be doing in
corporate America," said Wells, who hopes to pursue a career in
finance. "We need to look the part as professionals."

Credle said only one or two students per year have not complied.

Those three countries were already part of ECOWAS, which seems to work a lot better than the neighboring CEMAC/CAEMC when it comes to promoting intraregional economic and military initiatives.

Those military leaders created this new alliance out of self-preservation: they don't have the support of Senegal, Nigeria, or Ivory Coast, and they are willing to drive their countries into the hands of Russia. That's where the dig at your "Afrocentrism" comment came from.
I am aware that they were a part of ECOWAS; however, there are reasons to doubt the organization's independence from Western influences. Despite its self-preservation, they found solidarity within it, making it a unity.

Went to Hampton University...

HAMPTON, Va. - Afros are OK but cornrows and flowing dreadlocks are
not for business administration students at Hampton University.

The hair code is part of a strict academic and dress doctrine for
combined business administration students at the private,
historically black university. The program allows students to receive
a bachelor's degree and a master's in business administration in five years.

In addition to the hair rules, students must maintain a B average
after their sophomore year, heed a conservative dress code, complete
two internships and meet regularly with business leaders.

"We don't have problems with Afros," business Dean Sid Credle said
Friday. "A nicely tapered Afro - that's fine."

Credle said the dress, grooming and behavior rules are intended to
prepare students for the starched business world.

"When we look at the top 75 African Americans in corporate America,
we don't see any of them with extreme hairdos," he said.

With the requirements, "they'll get very comfortable wearing a suit
over a five-year period. When they get into corporate America, the
transition will be easier," Credle said.

Aaron Wells, a junior from Fairfax, put away his earrings when he
enrolled. He's got no complaints.

"It really gives us a very good model of what we should be doing in
corporate America," said Wells, who hopes to pursue a career in
finance. "We need to look the part as professionals."

Credle said only one or two students per year have not complied.

Thats the old school play by the rules to be accepted school of thinking. Sometimes...I sense a bit vitriol form older generations seeing us current generations move without certain barriers. Sometime when Im out after work, I can look on parent's faces and tell they just told their kids they can't get a job with dreadlocs. :lol:

….. now you got those same uppity folks at brunch shaking their asses.

It was OK for corporate people to snort all the cocaine they wanted and get pissy drunk, but dreadlocks and cornrows is where they chose to discriminate.

Don’t get me started on tattoos. There’s no such thing as the corporate/clean cut world anymore

Seeing dudes on ESPN with suits and sneakers makes me laugh. Even coaches got coaches not wearing suits anymore. (I’ve always thought suits and sneakers was tacky btw) I can only imagine how these corporations deal with millennials and gen z who don’t even own suits and whatnot.

There’s none of that type of etiquette anymore so I don’t understand their gripes.

A white persons who’s ancestors raped, mutilated and lynched black folks, but calling us “thugs” for wearing braids never sat well with me. They’ve always been the thugs.

Those people could never say that mess to me with a straight face, without me mentioning the atrocities that their people committed.

Burning crosses, burning down our businesses, etc but we are thugs? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We are just as much thugs, as they are.

Thats the old school play by the rules to be accepted school of thinking. Sometimes...I sense a bit vitriol form older generations seeing us current generations move without certain barriers. Sometime when Im out after work, I can look on parent's faces and tell they just told their kids they can't get a job with dreadlocs. :lol:
In 2023 parents still on that?

“Cut your dreads”

:lol: :rofl: :rofl:

Surgeons out here getting in trouble for recording patients having procedures without consent. Professionalism and customer service is at an all time low but I need to worry about my hair offending people.

Grown adults acting a fool on things like tik tok or IG, the hypocrisy nowadays is laughable

40974821-EEA6-4B74-95C8-A23D9B45D7EF.jpeg
895FDF01-2DE4-40D9-A4EC-6A2D5B660583.png

Luckily I do have my own company.

Hopefully those corporate junkies with dirty piss can find ways to pass their drugs tests.

They don’t want thugs but they don’t mind buying drugs from the same thugs they hate.

FYI, I can easily pass a piss test because I’ve never done drugs. No alcohol either :lol: :lol:

Imagine those junkies on Wall Street or Silicon Valley trying to create standards

…. Then after years of abusing drugs and alcohol, they need mommy and daddy’s connections to go to rehab clinics.

Don't like it? Start your own company.
This is the key. I never heard of a black man working in white corporate make any positives changes for the black community. Politicians are the closest you'll get. Black women on the other hand.....

Black women have advantages that black men do not when it comes to starting a business in the United States.

Worked for two black women CEO's. A couple of the best jobs I ever had...until they weren't :lol::lol:

At the end of the day, business is business (black, white, male, or female).

Not taking anything away from Black women but being CEOs and owning businesses isn't exactly conducive to the advancement of the nuclear family in the Black community.

Need more balance IMHO.

I find it funny that black women fought for the right to wear their hair anyway they want to but black men, "Naw white folks right on that one." A man can come to work with a skirt on one day and its still considered professional. Why is that? Because they fought for that right. I get it though, hair means a lot to us. You're going to have a hard time getting a dude with his hairline running from his face to go to bat for a guy that has hair down to his waist. :lol:

That gives me an idea, though. What if a black man with locs just said he was trans?

Yea older folks def feel some type of way that things are more lax in most business/work settings these days…We grew up lectured about how to act in that world with all the rules and things you can’t do, just for them to see somebody with dreads and tats working an office making more than they did at the same age :lol: …It will always be times and things change, gotta get with it or get left behind looking crazy and salty

I used to get annoyed by all that you should act this way, wear this etc etc ******** myself

But i'm looking at the results and things have went too far in the other direction, straight up kids leading kids

Back
Top Bottom