Black Culture Discussion Thread

Sucka stuff from owner and other co-worker

If only we all had such flexibility.

White Americans don’t seem to realize they are the outliers in believing coworkers need to be friends outside of work. In Europe this is not the practice for any racial/cultural group. (Maybe the Brits?) It has not and will never be among Black Americans, and most of the world quite frankly, a cultural expectation to make friends with coworkers.

If only we all had such flexibility.

White Americans don’t seem to realize they are the outliers in believing coworkers need to be friends outside of work. In Europe this is not the practice for any racial/cultural group. (Maybe the Brits?) It has not and will never be among Black Americans, and most of the world quite frankly, a cultural expectation to make friends with coworkers.
I disagree, with the has not part. I worked at the post office for a bit in my early 20's and, while I didn't need to, I was making friends like a mfer up in that joint :lol:

I disagree, with the has not part. I worked at the post office for a bit in my early 20's and, while I didn't need to, I was making friends like a mfer up in that joint :lol:
I mean I get cool with people but I only have one close friend I kept from all the jobs I’ve had.

You just agreed with him though. You didn't need to hang out with all those people at the post office; you chose to. Most people are fine with that.They just don't want to be questioned about it or have it it held against them if they choose not to (like the lady in the video).

The issue is the job suggesting they hang out outside of business hours to make business hours easier for the white lady. Personally, Idk if it makes weird, but I don’t understand the idea of WANTING to be friends with someone. Like, I usually just end up cool with someone. Theres a natural connection made over similarities. I never thought about tryin align myself with someone. Thats too much like conniving.

The issue is the job suggesting they hang out outside of business hours to make business hours easier for the white lady. Personally, Idk if it makes weird, but I don’t understand the idea of WANTING to be friends with someone. Like, I usually just end up cool with someone. Theres a natural connection made over similarities. I never thought about tryin align myself with someone. Thats too much like conniving.

Exactly. You can’t force it. It has to happen organically. Sometimes all you have in common with people are your work tasks. Personal lives are completely different and that’s OK

This is a great read.

I always wondered why Boomerang and Harlem Nights got bad reviews from mainstream critics. Eddie really used his power for good.

Some of these quotes was 🔥

From the director Reginald Hudlin

"In the heart of Kenneth Turan’s review of “Boomerang,” he complains about Eddie Murphy’s character not being a “hustler” and calls the film’s setting among black professionals “silly and arbitrary” and not “dramatically motivated” (“ ‘Boomerang’: Eddie Murphy’s Romantic Fling,” Calendar, July 1).

If this were a movie with rappin’, gun-totin’ drug dealers, it would be praised for its gritty authenticity while the complaints would be about encouraging violent behavior in the wake of national riots.

Instead, a movie that shows successful African Americans in the business world offends Turan because there aren’t enough white people in it. I guess the huge number of films that show a “positive” image of white life aren’t enough for him."

Boomerang” is set in New York City, where the majority of the population is black and Latino, like most urban centers in America. There are more white people in “Boomerang” than all the black people in Woody Allen’s films put together. Which is the more accurate depiction of New York’s racial makeup?

From Eddie

For those who feel that it’s racist for a film to have a predominately black cast, one has only to look at the countless movies that portray an all-white world. And consider all those films that did feature small roles for African Americans--we thank you for having the world believe that all people of color are pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers and criminals.

Last edited:
This is a great read.

I always wondered why Boomerang and Harlem Nights got bad reviews from mainstream critics. Eddie really used his power for good.

"In the heart of Kenneth Turan’s review of “Boomerang,” he complains about Eddie Murphy’s character not being a “hustler” and calls the film’s setting among black professionals “silly and arbitrary” and not “dramatically motivated” (“ ‘Boomerang’: Eddie Murphy’s Romantic Fling,” Calendar, July 1).

If this were a movie with rappin’, gun-totin’ drug dealers, it would be praised for its gritty authenticity while the complaints would be about encouraging violent behavior in the wake of national riots.

Instead, a movie that shows successful African Americans in the business world offends Turan because there aren’t enough white people in it. I guess the huge number of films that show a “positive” image of white life aren’t enough for him."

Boomerang” is set in New York City, where the majority of the population is black and Latino, like most urban centers in America. There are more white people in “Boomerang” than all the black people in Woody Allen’s films put together. Which is the more accurate depiction of New York’s racial makeup?

From Eddie

For those who feel that it’s racist for a film to have a predominately black cast, one has only to look at the countless movies that portray an all-white world. And consider all those films that did feature small roles for African Americans--we thank you for having the world believe that all people of color are pimps, prostitutes, drug dealers and criminals.

Man! I was talking about this recently, and have been in here for some time:

The heavy hand, corny social commentary is phony. Like, WE know what it is :lol:. Hollywood been having its white guilt moment, and trying to makeup for a century of neglecting brilliance in black original films. Especially with lack of resources and their trash institutional critical reviews, which have aged like milk overtime. A series like Friday or house party….they could never understand. And those had bad “ratings” by critics.

The pandering annoys me. The rating and awards for average movies does as well. Pet peeve of mine :lol:

something was lost around 2006ish. Inclusion and watering down + appealing to masses has diluted what would and should be quality black film.

I really wanna make a thread on this topic. Been annoying me for a minute :lol:

I’m a movie buff, remember critics and rotten tomatoes for what it really was…and the way they played great black art for centuries to the left…only to later in the 2010s pander to average, white washed black art annoys the **** outta me.

People always look at me crazy, when I told them in real time that movies like “Black Panther” were just ok.

Man! I was talking about this recently, and have been in here for some time:

I’m a movie buff, remember critics and rotten tomatoes for what it really was…and the way they played great black art for centuries to the left…only to later in the 2010s pander to average, white washed black art annoys the **** outta me.

People always look at me crazy, when I told them in real time that movies like “Black Panther” were just ok.
I seen people jumping out the window on BP. Tried to paint as the most culturally relevant movie of this time period :lol:

This is a great read.

From Eddie

Friends and I believe sex in the city being set in NYC without black people was egregious

Ish was the suburbs set in the city

Give me Meteor man, blankman, or any blaxploitation movie (shaft, cotton comes to Harlem, black caeser, supafly or the mack) over that black Panthers joint.

I respect the aesthetic but nah…

But y’all know how our people tend to get obsessive over certain cultural events

The folks around O St might be out within the next decade. A bunch of luxury Apts are still being built south of Audi field after converting the old federal buildings. Developers have to be eyeing the land north of it (one just got built last year in the area). The city's wants infill development from the Water Front to the Navy Yard

Back
Top Bottom