Black Culture Discussion Thread

#Cultural take of sorts….

Feel like black folks spend more money per drink than whites. Higher propensity to order a top shelf liquor.

I’ll never forget sitting next to a lady at the bar who ordered a top shelf Long Island at a sports bar. I almost spit out my drink :lol:

Thoughts?

Was in Lower Manhattan and paid that much for a 6 pm in Osaka at The Beekman.

Worth it.

Consumerism transcends race.

Also - if I'm drinking, why not drink top shelf?

I've paid my dues and cheaper is always more expensive in the long run.

IMG_20240303_151144.jpg

Was in Lower Manhattan and paid that much for a 6 pm in Osaka at The Beekman.

Worth it.

Consumerism transcends race.

Also - if I'm drinking, why not drink top shelf?

I've paid my dues and cheaper is always more expensive in the long run.

IMG_20240303_151144.jpg
You either got it or you don't. What I've learned is that some Black people who don't have it, find it hard to believe that there are Black people who do and aren't celebrities or scammers.

I'm in some local development facebook groups where I live and you see people complain about new, expensive apartments or subdivisions being built. Usually along the lines of "Who can afford this?!", but even more egregious is "THEY are trying to get US out. Gentrification!!!".

I'm like, ***** its plenty of us who can afford these things that aren't in financial debt or trying to keep up with the Joneses. By and large we still dominate who's moving in.

Ime, it hasn't been the qualified black folks that are the majority of people moving into gentrified areas.
That's great, but I was referring to where I live.

For where you live, do you see well off Black People who can afford to live there and choose top shelf liquor for their long islands? Or is that unfathomable?

That's great, but I was referring to where I live.

For where you live, do you see well off Black People who can afford to live there and choose top shelf liquor for their long islands? Or is that unfathomable?
Sounds like gentrification has been great for you where you live.

Gentrification, in of itself, isn't the problem. I'd go as far as to say its a good thing if everyone is getting paid fairly. THATS where the problem is.

The displacement of long time, less affluent residents (typically renters) is the issue. Hopefully local lawmakers can work with builders to provide some affordable units as part of their developments, but that’s not always guaranteed. Same with caps to rent increases.

That being said, the point I was making was that Black people are also included in the groups of people moving into these luxury apartments, shopping at Whole Foods and enjoying “elevated dining”; whether they’re the majority/minority in your area. Folks just seem to act surprised that they exist.

Back
Top Bottom