Black guy hair cuts

Has the bubble burst for hair cutting prices in your area yet? I live in Arizona and some cats are out here charging $35 for a bald fade. Not to mention the "VIP Special" which is north of $100. I looked at a few barbers and for me to get my fro shaped up and beard lined up i'm looking at $50 - $60 ($35-$45 for the fro and $15 to line up beard).

I don't have the right to tell a black man what his labor is worth. I either pay his rate or go elsewhere. It seems like only a few years haircuts were only $20 - $25 which seemed a lot more reasonable.

I remember when jalen rose mentioned on jalen & jacoby about 3-4 years ago he spends $100 per cut if he goes to see his barber and $150 if the barber comes to him. It's like when he mentioned that it sparked this increase for the prices of haircuts.

Have any of you brothas considered going non-black barbers? At this point, it's looking like I'm only going to step in a barbershop for special events.

I thought about cutting my own hair but I'm not there yet confidence wise to try it.

Has the bubble burst for hair cutting prices in your area yet? I live in Arizona and some cats are out here charging $35 for a bald fade. Not to mention the "VIP Special" which is north of $100. I looked at a few barbers and for me to get my fro shaped up and beard lined up i'm looking at $50 - $60 ($35-$45 for the fro and $15 to line up beard).

I don't have the right to tell a black man what his labor is worth. I either pay his rate or go elsewhere. It seems like only a few years haircuts were only $20 - $25 which seemed a lot more reasonable.

I remember when jalen rose mentioned on jalen & jacoby about 3-4 years ago he spends $100 per cut if he goes to see his barber and $150 if the barber comes to him. It's like when he mentioned that it sparked this increase for the prices of haircuts.

Have any of you brothas considered going non-black barbers? At this point, it's looking like I'm only going to step in a barbershop for special events.

I thought about cutting my own hair but I'm not there yet confidence wise to try it.
Yea man prices are crazy now. In the DMV a good barber is like $40 minimum if you can find that lol. I go on “The Cut” app and they’re taxing. Like said earlier I can’t be paying $40-50 and tipping you on top of that :lol:

Yea man prices are crazy now. In the DMV a good barber is like $40 minimum if you can find that lol. I go on “The Cut” app and they’re taxing. Like said earlier I can’t be paying $40-50 and tipping you on top of that :lol:
Man one of my boys is a barber and I think his prices are like $65+ and for him to come to you starts at $80. Dude has definitely cut a few celebs though as well so I guess that’s why he has his prices high.

My guy charges $35 and I tip him $10. Mistake on my part now bro expects that $10 tip every cut. I cut the tip down to $5 my last cut just to check his temperature and sure enough my fade wasn’t as crispy, he was done in 20 mins instead of the usual 30-35 he normally takes.

My guy charges $35 and I tip him $10. Mistake on my part now bro expects that $10 tip every cut. I cut the tip down to $5 my last cut just to check his temperature and sure enough my fade wasn’t as crispy, he was done in 20 mins instead of the usual 30-35 he normally takes.
You pay before the cut? Never seen that.

I pay 30 + tip of 5-10 depending on randomness honestly.

I go every two weeks. I can't be spending 100 on just hair cuts a month lol

Thecut app. You lock in the payment when you book the appointment. If you cancel it’s a 25% fee and if you no-show gets the barber paid in full.

I can understand that, but expecting you to tip in advance is some BS.

Reactions: ace
Been growing out since November. 32 and first time getting braided this Sunday. Pretty excited! Moms is even more excited :lol:

582E91F4-DA42-4FB6-BC7E-ED1B529F6CB5.jpeg
BB29D888-58D3-420F-B2FD-F2440AE672BA.jpeg

You got plenty of hair for braids, probably have decent hangtime. I’m staying away from braids, I put too much stress on my scalp braiding my dreads into barrel twists for 2 years straight.

I been rockin the s curl for a few months . Past 2 weeks I’m just slumming it with a pic handy and the hair blowin in the wind 😎

I’m debating on dreads … Asian dude with dreads haha. I’m half black tho so that’s where the hair probably comes from.

Scalp lacks stimulation. Especially if this is the first time getting braids. Get a little oil and drizzle it throughout your hair. That should add some relief. I'd recommend a castor oil and peppermint oil mix.
I’m surprised whoever did them didn’t recommend him some oils to use. But like you said, definitely gotta keep the scalp moisturized.

I’m surprised whoever did them didn’t recommend him some oils to use. But like you said, definitely gotta keep the scalp moisturized.
Especially the areas where the braids cover. Skin sheds everyday. So there's lack of stimulation due to being covered, dead skin and dryness taking place.

Nah the stylist told me to use tea tree oil. With some due diligence, I copped a scalp brush with some apple cider vinegar shampoo and conditioner.

Scalp lacks stimulation. Especially if this is the first time getting braids. Get a little oil and drizzle it throughout your hair. That should add some relief. I'd recommend a castor oil and peppermint oil mix.

I’ll try this too .. I took my backs out last night. The frizz was way to itchy. The top and sides aren’t as bad as the back so I’m gonna have to reevaluate what I’m doing with that area.

The night time seems to activate that itchiness. I’m hanging in there tho..

Back
Top Bottom