Black Swan | A Film by Darren Aronofsky

Portman deserves an Oscar for this, her performance was insane! I was satisfied by the ending, which is where I find a lot of films are lacking. I guess DA will get a nomination for this film too.
pimp.gif

Portman deserves an Oscar for this, her performance was insane! I was satisfied by the ending, which is where I find a lot of films are lacking. I guess DA will get a nomination for this film too.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Originally Posted by proper english

I wish they added more depth to Nina's character at the beginning of the story. It almost seemed that she was already close to her breaking point at the beginning of the film.
i agree, but Aronofsky rarely does character buildups like that.. everything is so subtle..
i got the point that she was a repressed child prodigy type from the 1st 30min of the film..
What I couldn't really buy into, was the fact that the mom (Hershey) really didn't seem like a "stage" mom, but more of an "overbearing" mom. I could never figure out Portman's motivation for being a ballet dancer. Was it just because her mom pushed her into it? Did she even like performing at some point? Did she do it for the money? Or was this a simple case of the obsession for perfection causing her downfall (regardless if she did ballet or any other art/career)? That's really what I would have liked to have explained.

Interesting to note though, is that I've seen a lot of people discuss how her mom was a figment of her imagination as well.
For some reason her mom came off as what Nina would have been if she never took that step of dedication into her own art...She seemed to be someone who had the same passion, technically sound in her gift but was uptight, frigid and timid...scared to break out of herself just like Nina was..and then she grew into this cold old woman filled with regret...I think that also helped Nina because she didnt want to become that.....who knows, just my theory
laugh.gif

I like the idea that she wasnt real to begin with too though

I wish they added more depth to Nina's character at the beginning of the story. It almost seemed that she was already close to her breaking point at the beginning of the film.
i agree, but Aronofsky rarely does character buildups like that.. everything is so subtle..
i got the point that she was a repressed child prodigy type from the 1st 30min of the film..
What I couldn't really buy into, was the fact that the mom (Hershey) really didn't seem like a "stage" mom, but more of an "overbearing" mom. I could never figure out Portman's motivation for being a ballet dancer. Was it just because her mom pushed her into it? Did she even like performing at some point? Did she do it for the money? Or was this a simple case of the obsession for perfection causing her downfall (regardless if she did ballet or any other art/career)? That's really what I would have liked to have explained.

Interesting to note though, is that I've seen a lot of people discuss how her mom was a figment of her imagination as well.
For some reason her mom came off as what Nina would have been if she never took that step of dedication into her own art...She seemed to be someone who had the same passion, technically sound in her gift but was uptight, frigid and timid...scared to break out of herself just like Nina was..and then she grew into this cold old woman filled with regret...I think that also helped Nina because she didnt want to become that.....who knows, just my theory
laugh.gif

I like the idea that she wasnt real to begin with too though

the camera work is AMAZING.. i really felt as crazy as Nina throughout most of the movie... 
eek.gif
i loved the part where she's spinning and spinning in the first audition
the whole movie made me feel like i was following her as things happened rather than watching them happen

the camera work is AMAZING.. i really felt as crazy as Nina throughout most of the movie... 
eek.gif
i loved the part where she's spinning and spinning in the first audition
the whole movie made me feel like i was following her as things happened rather than watching them happen

Just seen it and I must say that this movie was an absolute work of art...If Natalie doesn't sweep the awards I will commit suicide.

Just seen it and I must say that this movie was an absolute work of art...If Natalie doesn't sweep the awards I will commit suicide.

Originally Posted by I Am Georgia

Quoted for Future.

Quoted for Future.

Originally Posted by hymen man

Quoted for Future.

embarassed.gif
 I didn't think anybody would even catch that...She better win at least an oscar though.

Quoted for Future.

embarassed.gif
 I didn't think anybody would even catch that...She better win at least an oscar though.

just watched.

I really enjoyed it. The acting and camera angles were
pimp.gif

another vote for best movie of the year.

just watched.

I really enjoyed it. The acting and camera angles were
pimp.gif

another vote for best movie of the year.

Quoted for Future.

embarassed.gif
Pretty sure she has it on lock.  Only competition might be the lesbos from The Kids Are Alright. 

Quoted for Future.

embarassed.gif
Pretty sure she has it on lock.  Only competition might be the lesbos from The Kids Are Alright. 

Back
Top Bottom