Black Swan | A Film by Darren Aronofsky

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by Zero 0123

I was all tripped out at the end of the movie... Great movie! It's great to see Natalie Portman putting in work for a performance like this. She's come a long way from the Star Wars Ep. 1-3 and all the horrible acting.
word? you must not have seen The Professional or Closer (to name a few)
and she was great in "Garden State"
One of my favorites with an outstanding soundtrack.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

the camera work is AMAZING.. i really felt as crazy as Nina throughout most of the movie... 
eek.gif

I'm sayin! From the first opening shot to the last one, DA didn't take any shortcuts, put in work on every scene. 
Topped 127 Hours as my fav. movie of the year.
The mother killed it too, surprised she isn't getting nommed for anything. 
nerd.gif

She's old and ugly, a forethought who let go of her dreams, remember, Natalie Portman is the Swan Queen.

...what the hell are you talking about? does anything you said mean anything?
Anyways, Ellen Burstyn won an Academy award in Aronofsky's 2nd movie Requiem for a Dream, playing a similar role. If Mila Kunis, who just played herself can get nommed for best supporting, the mother in this movie should be getting some love. Natalie Portman killed it, and the mother stayed toe to toe with her in every scene.

Ellen didn't win. She lost to Julia Roberts for "Erin Brockovich".

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

the camera work is AMAZING.. i really felt as crazy as Nina throughout most of the movie... 
eek.gif

I'm sayin! From the first opening shot to the last one, DA didn't take any shortcuts, put in work on every scene. 
Topped 127 Hours as my fav. movie of the year.
The mother killed it too, surprised she isn't getting nommed for anything. 
nerd.gif

She's old and ugly, a forethought who let go of her dreams, remember, Natalie Portman is the Swan Queen.

...what the hell are you talking about? does anything you said mean anything?
Anyways, Ellen Burstyn won an Academy award in Aronofsky's 2nd movie Requiem for a Dream, playing a similar role. If Mila Kunis, who just played herself can get nommed for best supporting, the mother in this movie should be getting some love. Natalie Portman killed it, and the mother stayed toe to toe with her in every scene.

Ellen didn't win. She lost to Julia Roberts for "Erin Brockovich".

Originally Posted by hymen man

I was all tripped out at the end of the movie... Great movie! It's great to see Natalie Portman putting in work for a performance like this. She's come a long way from the Star Wars Ep. 1-3 and all the horrible acting.
V for Vendetta was her best role IMO.

Originally Posted by hymen man

V for Vendetta was her best role IMO.

Caught that DVD screener and finally watched.  Since I had first seen the trailer, I thought this movie would be great and it lived up to what I thought.

Tremendous psychological thriller with an A+ job by Portman, for sure will be a nominee for Best Actress come Oscar time.

True Grit was also great by the way, I suggest you guys see that.  The girl in that movie also does a great job and could be up for an award around Oscar time. 
nerd.gif

Caught that DVD screener and finally watched.  Since I had first seen the trailer, I thought this movie would be great and it lived up to what I thought.

Tremendous psychological thriller with an A+ job by Portman, for sure will be a nominee for Best Actress come Oscar time.

True Grit was also great by the way, I suggest you guys see that.  The girl in that movie also does a great job and could be up for an award around Oscar time. 
nerd.gif

I wish they added more depth to Nina's character at the beginning of the story. It almost seemed that she was already close to her breaking point at the beginning of the film.

With that said, it was a beautifully crafted film and Aronofsky deserves an Oscar nod for the picture.

I still take The Wrestler over Black Swan, but it's really a shame that both weren't made as one film (as originally designed to be).

I wish they added more depth to Nina's character at the beginning of the story. It almost seemed that she was already close to her breaking point at the beginning of the film.

With that said, it was a beautifully crafted film and Aronofsky deserves an Oscar nod for the picture.

I still take The Wrestler over Black Swan, but it's really a shame that both weren't made as one film (as originally designed to be).

--SMH, I havent seen The Wrestler yet either. Gotta jump on that.
--Black Swan is only playing in one theatre here in SD. Hopefully its not packed...

--SMH, I havent seen The Wrestler yet either. Gotta jump on that.
--Black Swan is only playing in one theatre here in SD. Hopefully its not packed...

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

i agree, but Aronofsky rarely does character buildups like that.. everything is so subtle..
i got the point that she was a repressed child prodigy type from the 1st 30min of the film..

i agree, but Aronofsky rarely does character buildups like that.. everything is so subtle..
i got the point that she was a repressed child prodigy type from the 1st 30min of the film..

What I couldn't really buy into, was the fact that the mom (Hershey) really didn't seem like a "stage" mom, but more of an "overbearing" mom. I could never figure out Portman's motivation for being a ballet dancer. Was it just because her mom pushed her into it? Did she even like performing at some point? Did she do it for the money? Or was this a simple case of the obsession for perfection causing her downfall (regardless if she did ballet or any other art/career)? That's really what I would have liked to have explained.

Interesting to note though, is that I've seen a lot of people discuss how her mom was a figment of her imagination as well.

What I couldn't really buy into, was the fact that the mom (Hershey) really didn't seem like a "stage" mom, but more of an "overbearing" mom. I could never figure out Portman's motivation for being a ballet dancer. Was it just because her mom pushed her into it? Did she even like performing at some point? Did she do it for the money? Or was this a simple case of the obsession for perfection causing her downfall (regardless if she did ballet or any other art/career)? That's really what I would have liked to have explained.

Interesting to note though, is that I've seen a lot of people discuss how her mom was a figment of her imagination as well.

Back
Top Bottom