Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Originally Posted by SJSneakerheadIII

Anyone looking for a player, I just got the Panny BD35k for my mom for christmas with 4 blu's for me + another 2 blu's for a mail in rebate for $207 shipped. (link below)

player:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/...CI&tag=blurayforum-20

2 blu's rebate:

http://www2.panasonic.com...rtner=7000000000000005702
Wow! Considering that you can sell off any of the movies for $60-80 easy, that's a quality BD playerfor a little over $100!

Still, it's Christmas time, it's a little work to sell the movies, and I'm holding out 'til I hear that a brand other than Samsung or LG areupdating their players to stream Netflix. I'd be all over the BD35k if it could stream Netflix.

Shoot, I may get it anyway.

thinkin bout pickin up that bd player for my dad...

great reviews....

one of the best apparently.

Originally Posted by DG Kyrk 33

I Am Legend has the best PQ of any BD I've seen thus far. Followed by tropic thunder.
I am Legend has good pq, but another Will Smith movie easily trumps it and is hailed as the best live-action BD in regards to PQ. I, Robot iscrazy good, try that out, it's an older film but the PQ is much better than I am Legend.

Here is my list for top blu-ray's for picture and audio quality:

Picture Quality:

1. The Dark Knight
2. I Robot
3. The Nightmare Before Christmas
4. Iron Man
5. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Sound Quality:

1. Transformers
2. The Incredible Hulk
3. Hell Boy 2
4. Live Free Or Die Hard
5. The Dark Knight

My BD Player came today
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Watching TDK right now... gonna mess with some Transformers after to check what all the fuss is about.

IMAX Scenes =
eek.gif

The IMAX scenes really do spoil for for the rest of the movie.
laugh.gif
I can't stand it!

I guess i'll be copping Wanted for Xmas. The big ol gift set is pretty cool.

What are some cool ways to store DVD's/ BD's?

Im running out of drawer space with all the movie buying ive been doing...
smh.gif

Any BD racks that are sort of unusual? Lookin for something out of the ordinary...

dumb question, why does Pirates Of The Caribbean(1080i) look better than movies that are 1080p?

I was looking for a nice storage unit for all my BD/HD DVDs about a year ago and couldn't find anything really made for their cases. I just keep them inABC order now as the collection kept growing. A lot of the DVD towers have the customizable heights so they could work out perfectly with them.

I might try to get up some pics of the collection soon just to add something new to this post. It's been straight up Dark Knight the last 4 or so pages.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

I refuse to let this post die.
It wont
laugh.gif

Speaking of... I went on a BD buying spree today
smh.gif
... went out to the store for an Optical audio cable and came back with Black Hawk Down, Step Brothers, and I am Legend...
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
smh.gif

GOOD CALL!

I've been meaning to get Step Brothers. That I Am Legend deluxe is a little OD for me.
eek.gif

Yea i saw that giiant box and was like
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Step brothers was
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
... but it was $27 at BB WITH my discount
sick.gif
... had me price matching to Wal-mart
smh.gif

Add Sex and the City BD to that list too for the girl for christmas... shoulda just got it on DVD though... she always watchin stuff on her laptop.

nice pickups dude, I stepped back on stepbrothers because even with our DC its still expensive as hell
smh.gif

since thanksgiving day i've copped another dozen BDs
smh.gif
smh.gif

My BD Player came today
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Watching TDK right now... gonna mess with some Transformers after to check what all the fuss is about.

IMAX Scenes =
eek.gif

would you mind me asking wat kind of BD player you purchased. Im on the verge of buying a BD player but dont realli know what I should look forwhen buying a BD player

stupid nt blu-ray hype getting to me
smh.gif
laugh.gif

i'm assuming the hype is warranted though, but the one blu-ray i saw wasn't impressive, so I guess the picture quality just sucked.

did ne one here get into the community screening of dark knight with christopher nolan

Heres a comparison of a few good BD players that you can find from $200-$300

[table][tr][th=""]

Release date[/th] [td]October 10, 2008[/td] [td]May 15, 2008[/td] [td]July 15, 2008[/td] [td]October 25, 2008[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]The Bottom Line[/th] [td]The LG BD300 deftly combines Blu-ray and Netflix streaming in a single box, although there are better standalone players without Netflix.[/td] [td]The Samsung BD-P1500 lacks some features and doesn't perform as well as the PlayStation 3, but its relatively low price makes it a solid option for those few people on a budget who still demand a standalone Blu-ray player.[/td] [td]The combination of its small design, solid feature set, and excellent image quality make the Sony BDP-S350 a worthwhile standalone Blu-ray player--especially if you can find it for less than $300.[/td] [td]The Panasonic DMP-BD35 represents the best value in standalone Blu-ray players, with excellent image quality, a comprehensive feature set, and a price that's significantly lower than the PS3.[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Similar Products[/th] [td] Compare more products [/td] [td] Compare more products [/td] [td] Compare more products [/td] [td] Compare more products [/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Features[/th] [td]See What's the Same or What's different[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Product Type[/th] [td]Blu-Ray disc player
[/td] [td]Blu-Ray disc player
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Remote control type[/th] [td]Remote control
[/td] [td]Universal remote control
[/td] [td]Remote control
[/td] [td]Remote control
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Upscaling[/th] [td]Yes
[/td] [td]Yes
[/td] [td]Yes
[/td] [td]Yes
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Product Description[/th] [td]LG BD300 - Blu-Ray disc player
[/td] [td]Samsung BD-P1500 - Blu-Ray disc player
[/td] [td]Sony BDP-S350 - Blu-Ray disc player
[/td] [td]Panasonic DMP-BD35 - Blu-Ray disc player
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Recordable Media[/th] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]DVD+R
CD
JPEG
CD-RW
DVD-RW
CD-R
DVD+RW
DVD
BD-R
DVD-R
BD-RE
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Weight[/th] [td]6.6 lbs
[/td] [td]8.6 lbs
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]5.7 lbs
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Manufacturer Warranty[/th] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]1 year warranty
[/td] [td]1 year warranty
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Full contract period[/th] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]90 days
1 year
[/td] [td]1 year
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Sound Output Mode[/th] [td]Stereo
[/td] [td]Stereo
[/td] [td]Stereo
[/td] [td]Stereo
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Service included[/th] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Labor
Parts
[/td] [td]Parts and labor
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Service & support details type[/th] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Limited warranty
[/td] [td]Limited warranty
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Dimensions (WxDxH)[/th] [td]16.9 in x 10.9 in x 2.3 in
[/td] [td]16.9 in x 10.8 in x 3.3 in
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]16.9 in x 9.8 in x 1.9 in
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Power[/th] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]AC 120 V
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Audio D/A Converter[/th] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]24bit / 192kHz
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Remote Control[/th] [td]Remote control
[/td] [td]Universal remote control - Infrared
[/td] [td]Remote control - Infrared
[/td] [td]Remote control
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Video D/A Converter[/th] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]12bit / 148.5MHz
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Built-in Audio Decoders[/th] [td]Dolby TruHD
[/td] [td]Dolby Digital
DTS decoder
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby TrueHD
[/td] [td]DTS-HD decoder
Dolby Digital
DTS decoder
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby TrueHD
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Media Format[/th] [td]PAL
NTSC
[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [td]Info unavailable[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""]Media Type[/th] [td]BD-ROM
DVD+R
CD
CD-RW
DVD-RW
CD-R
DVD+RW
DVD
BD-R
DVD-R
BD-RE
[/td] [td]BD-ROM
CD
CD-RW
DVD-RW
CD-R
DVD
BD-R
DVD-R
BD-RE
[/td] [td]DVD+R
DVD-RW
DVD+RW
DVD
BD-R
DVD-R
BD-RE
[/td] [td]CD
CD-RW
DVD-RW
DVD-RAM
DVD
BD-RE
DVD-R
DVD+R
BD-ROM
DVD-R DL
DVD+R DL
CD-R
DVD+RW
BD-R[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

stupid nt blu-ray hype getting to me
smh.gif
laugh.gif

i'm assuming the hype is warranted though, but the one blu-ray i saw wasn't impressive, so I guess the picture quality just sucked.

laugh.gif
I don't think its just NT... for HD movies, that my only option...

I think a slight misconception for Blu-Ray is that EVERY movie will look pristine, but thats just not the case... a lot depends on the transfer, how thedirector wants it to look, etc... like I said before, read the reviews first...

Originally Posted by bns1201

did ne one here get into the community screening of dark knight with christopher nolan

i got in it

u gotta sign into bdlive on the tdk blu-ray.
register for an account (free, easy)
make sure while registering u select the option to receive updates from warner
shortly thereafter you should receive an email with an invite to the screening.

anyone got questions they want asked?
i'm allowed up to 3 in advance and i can't think of any.

and the following should be no surprise

The Dark Knight fastest selling Blu-ray of all time; over 25% format share
Originally Posted by PS3 Fanboy

We had high hopes for "The Dark Knight"'s Blu-ray release. But boy, we didn't expect such phenomenal results. "The Dark Knight" has become the fastest selling Blu-ray yet, besting the last king of the hill, "Iron Man." Nearly 3 million copies of the movie were sold on Tuesday, with 600,000 units being sold on Blu-ray. That means about 25-30% of the disc sales were on Blu-ray -- an impressive feat for a relatively new format.

"It's encouraging," said Ron Sanders, president of Warner Home Video. "The Blu-ray sales of 'Dark Knight' were exceptionally strong and much higher than our projections." Considering "The Dark Knight" is an obvious addition to an HD home theater set up, we doubt their projections were much lower. Besides, all that money should make up for the Golden Globe snub, amirite?

also people still looking for a BD player. don't sleep on the panny bd35 that's include in the amazon deal (bdplayer + 4bd = $100 off) That is a steal.Will be pickin that up for my father should the promotion still be running next week.

ALSO
for anyone near any Circuit City store closings all BDs are 30% off. For me it's still not enough to bite, but you might find some gems. Personally i'mgonna wait another week or 2 or whenever they start doing @ least 40% off BDs.

Back
Top Bottom