Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Originally Posted by freshhh

i havent really read through this, but i work at best buy right near the home theater department.
and they have a 120hz samsung tv on display showing blu ray movies.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

i was mad that i just bought a 60hz tv til i found out its twice the price for a 120hz
laugh.gif

quality is insane, its not even a movie anymore. its like im watching them film it.

does ps3 upconvert dvds? i need at least a blu ray player now.
Yes, PS3 does upconvert.

I have the 120 HZ Samsung... i've gotten so used to it I don't even notice it anymore at all.

Its so weird to me though, because at work (best buy) When I watch the Samsungs I notice it. Makes me feel like somethings wrong with my Auto-Motion Plus

BTW IMO Pirates Of the Caribean isnt all that on Blu-Ray maybe its just me

Yeah, i've had my 120hz for about two months now and it doesn't even seem like I notice it as much as I used to. My friends are always like "BrehI can't wait to check that blu ray on your TV".
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Jordan Freak 32

Go to Best Buy or something and peep it.

Blu-Ray...
eek.gif
I've seen those things. I swear it's bull. They make it look DRASTICALLY different for sales I bet. Not to say there's not adifference, I'm sure there is. But c'mon now.

EBW you ever turn your 120 HZ off on your movies... I noticed a big difference then, all a sudden everything looks REAL jerky

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Just found a cool easter egg on TDK

Play Theatrical Trailer 3 on Disc 2.
On your player's remote, enter these numbers:
5 6 5 3 7
Don't enter them too fast, give it a second or two between each.
The numbers spell out the word "Joker".
The screen should go blank and the Joker-ized version of the same trailer will play.

is there a way to do this on the ps3 control?

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by freshhh

i havent really read through this, but i work at best buy right near the home theater department.
and they have a 120hz samsung tv on display showing blu ray movies.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

i was mad that i just bought a 60hz tv til i found out its twice the price for a 120hz
laugh.gif

quality is insane, its not even a movie anymore. its like im watching them film it.

does ps3 upconvert dvds? i need at least a blu ray player now.
Yes, PS3 does upconvert.

^^When you use the HDMI connection.

Originally Posted by Fiasco23

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Just found a cool easter egg on TDK

Play Theatrical Trailer 3 on Disc 2.
On your player's remote, enter these numbers:
5 6 5 3 7
Don't enter them too fast, give it a second or two between each.
The numbers spell out the word "Joker".
The screen should go blank and the Joker-ized version of the same trailer will play.

is there a way to do this on the ps3 control?
Yeah, just pause it when the screen is green @ the beginning, press triangle, and put in the numbers

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Johnny nice icon sir.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You got that on Blu right?
Thanks. The only Pitt movie I got on Blu Ray is Troy. Which was pretty awesome. I think I'm def. going to add Fight Club to my Blu Raycollection once it releases, unless it gets terrible reviews.

Picked this up and built it tonight... couldnt hold out any longer finding a spot to put all these movies

Typhoon-82635385.jpg

couldnt hold out any longer finding a spot to put all these movies...

Works for now and looks nice... ill take some pics when i fill it with movies a little more

Yes, definitely. Pics would be baller. Anybody picking up Into The Wild this coming week? AWESOME movie.

I liked it but not sure if ill be grabbing it right away... i got a LOT of stuff i gotta get on BD that i dont own yet that ill get before a lot of the newstuff...

Anyone else have WAY too many cables running behind their TV???
smh.gif

My +%+* has like 8000 cables just goin everywhere... i cant seem to get it organized... it all piles up back there.

Doesnt help that my Cable splitter for Time Warner is right there too. Will they come and move all that +%+* if i called them up to do so? lol...

Oh, and... the cardboard/paper covers that comes on some DVD's... do yall keep or throw away?... theyre basically useless but i always seem to keep them onthere for some reason..
laugh.gif

I wish I understood this 60hz 21312hz talk
laugh.gif
frown.gif

question: 1080p is better than 720? Ok i have a 50 inch sony in the living room about 3-4 years old, everything on it looks great oh HD but is it 720 or 1080?

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

I wish I understood this 60hz 21312hz talk
laugh.gif
frown.gif

question: 1080p is better than 720? Ok i have a 50 inch sony in the living room about 3-4 years old, everything on it looks great oh HD but is it 720 or 1080?
how we supposed to know? may as well have asked us if it was turned on or off.

I've known about these tweaks for the PS3 for quite sometime now. But for any new PS3 owner or for peeps who just dont know, this is a great video on howto optimize your PS3 blu-ray settings:

Originally Posted by MinGrady

If I have a 720 set, should I even bother getting a blu ray player?
I'd say save up for a new TV first before you get into blu-ray. There are some great deals going on right now and prices on LCD's andplasma TV will continue drop in the next coming months with the Superbowl coming up.

MinGrady wrote:

I'd say 'sure'... a 720p set is still an HDTV... and with a blu-ray player, you're still getting a clean HD picture...

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

yes, 1080p is better than 720p because its a higher-resolution, which should give you more detail...

but like I mentioned, 720p is still HD... correct me if I'm wrong, but most, if not all, sports programs are in 720p

Of course! Depending on how far way you're sitting from your TV and its quality, you're not likely to notice the difference between the two (1080p vs720p).

Looks like you can buy a PS3 for $320 until the 17th: http://forums.slickdeals..../showthread.php?t=1074550

Edit:
.. correct me if I'm wrong, but most, if not all, sports programs are in 720
Last I read, all HD programming is either 720p or 1080i depending on the network.

^^ For anything smaller than 42, you cant tell the dif between 720p and 1080p.

But for anything like a 42+, 1080p is kinda a necessity, kinda.

I just got my dad a 50in 720p plasma, and I have a 42in 1080p in my room and I cant tell a difference at all.

I had a xbox 360 with hdmi with hd-dvd and played it on both and they both looked about the same.

I need to get a blu-ray soon...

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Originally Posted by MinGrady

I'd say 'sure'... a 720p set is still an HDTV... and with a blu-ray player, you're still getting a clean HD picture...
What:

If dude's TV only support 720p then how is it going to benefit him when the hardware & software required for blu-ray are 1080P to see a big difference.

Originally Posted by Kidskillz858

If dude's TV only support 720p then how is it going to benefit him when the hardware & software required for blu-ray are 1080P to see a big difference.

Lol, was it necessary to attack me for my opinion...? why don't you first calm down kiddo.

1080p is not a requirement for watching blu-ray discs. yes, to get the full benefits of blu-ray, you'll need a 1080p set, but if you have a 720p or a1080i set, you can still get a superb HD picture. Now if he has an old 4:3 tv set, then I'd say it wouldn't be worth getting a blu-ray player... Hehas a 50 inch 720p... now comparing that with a 50 inch 1080p, of course the 1080p will look better... but you're making it sound like there are nobenefits from watching a blu-ray disc on a 720p, which isn't the case.

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

Last I read, all HD programming is either 720p or 1080i depending on the network.

thats my understanding too... I was referring to all sports programs being is 720p because of the fast-motion nature of sports... I think only Japan broadcastssome of their shows in 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom