Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Girl KO'd before movie ended so i snapped some of Kung Fu Panda on BD
happy.gif

f6a2513e3552a953c12e35ad5b8dc2a75fa154f.jpg

1cb3506eeae65d9d9a4ecb6ae155590f1a30040.jpg

3d2353c0eb4b5d2a94efcbc2eb89f21edb7d027.jpg

ea625f9e9159f925c23e1cac3e4311ccc2f63b2.jpg

83d15fe15799c7e04fc867684441bd3d1f80f8a.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

Originally Posted by CrimsonCloudAttire

Originally Posted by freshhh

i havent really read through this, but i work at best buy right near the home theater department.
and they have a 120hz samsung tv on display showing blu ray movies.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

i was mad that i just bought a 60hz tv til i found out its twice the price for a 120hz
laugh.gif

quality is insane, its not even a movie anymore. its like im watching them film it.

Man, I swear this is what I must have seen the other day at Best Buy when I was doing some Christmas shopping. I mean, I have pretty good av equipment (ps3, pioneer 50-inch plasma) and I have seen my share of hd material, via blu-ray and hd networks, but what I saw I best buy blew my mind, literally. The picture quality was beyond compare. They had a demo running of Batman Begins and I literally watched like 30 minutes. That's how impressive the PQ was. Like, without any exaggeration whatsoever, it was seriously like watching two people have a conversation right in front of you. It was surreal.

How much do 120hz tvs go for?

i got my t.v with a stand 4 to 6 months ago for $1900.. 46 inches..Samsung LN46A650 " Touch of Color"... 120hz, 1080p, 50,000:1 contrast ratio....
i believe you can find them between $1400 to $1600
mad.gif
Ok, so I did some research and the quality of 'surreal' picture I alluded to evidently is not due to 120hz, but rather to a specialfeature on LCD screens called de-judder. I guess pretty much all the newer LCD screens have it as a feature that can be engaged/disengaged based on theviewer's preference. TV manufactures typically give the feature some snazzy name like 'smooth'-something. What it does is insert extra frames inbetween all ready existent ones to smooth out slow pans, zoom ins/outs, etc. Evidently some people like it, while others do not. Why don't they? Wellsome say it makes films look unnatural, unlike how the director intended, and more like captured video than film. They argue that it gives motion picturefilms a sort of soap-opera-y look to them.

To each his own...but I say to the dissenters...'bollocks!'...that picture looks hella smooth to me.
pimp.gif

^ I've been noticing that on newer sets as well... for Sony's, I think its called MotionFlow, which as you said, give the camera pans and movement amuch more smoother 'feel' to it. I'm undecided on this feature right now. I think that it sometimes makes the picture un-naturally smooth... Idon't have this function on my Sony, so oh well...

I just ordered I-robot, Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride on blu ray. How did you guys like each of the films?

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I just ordered I-robot, Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride on blu ray. How did you guys like each of the films?
Great buys.

I, Robot is one of the best transfers to blu I've seen. Nightmare Before Christmas is, Nightmare Before Christmas, my favorite Disney movie of all time andthe PQ is great. Corpse Bride is good as well.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/613/irobot.htmlhttp://bluray.highdefdigest.com/613/irobot.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1207/nightmarebeforechristmas.htmlhttp://bluray.highdefdige...tmarebeforechristmas.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/87/corpsebride.htmlhttp://bluray.highdefdigest.com/87/corpsebride.html

Remember, these are just reviews from one reviewer, but I think you'll be happy with your purchases... I have I, Robot and thought the PQ was fantastic. Tempted to get Nightmare...

i was watching batman on a nice lcd last time and it was amazing.....it seriously looked like it was being played out live right in front of me, it was insane

You'll be very happy with each of those movies.

All have great picture & audio quality. Both Tim Burton's classic animation movies. Honestly animation movies like these two and all of Disney'sanimation movie releases really shine on blu-ray.

I Robot has great picture quality. The movie itself is decent and always gets mixed reviews but if your a Will Smith fan you'll like it.

I own all 3 of these blu-ray's myself.

what is the best blu-ray player i can buy for a reasonable price?
im talkin cheaper than a ps3, unless the ps3 is the best one for the price.

and for my fellow bb employees, which is the best i can buy with the best discount
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by freshhh

what is the best blu-ray player i can buy for a reasonable price?
im talkin cheaper than a ps3, unless the ps3 is the best one for the price.

and for my fellow bb employees, which is the best i can buy with the best discount
laugh.gif
There are plenty.

Panny BD35k
Sony 350
both less than $280 . If you are patient and look around you can get either for less than $200. Plus you said your're a BB employee so you are good.

I'm not too sure about Samsung or Sharp or even LG but I'm sure they have some good stand alone players at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

I've been wanting a stand alone player next to my ps3 so i'm getting the BD300
smokin.gif
why?

not to critisize. but does it do somethin the ps3 cant?

edit does anyone know if the 360 upconverts dvds to 1080p?
i feel like ive asked this before but i dont remember the answer
laugh.gif

full HD audio profile compatibility, and true upconvert. I'm sorry but people claiming the thing does upconvert is lying through the teeth when I broughthome a $40 insignia UC player and my DVDs look tond better than on my $400 ps3

Oh yeah so I can have a player around that also has netflix streaming capability without having to untangle the 360

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

full HD audio profile compatibility, and true upconvert. I'm sorry but people claiming the thing does upconvert is lying through the teeth when I brought home a $40 insignia UC player and my DVDs look tond better than on my $400 ps3

Oh yeah so I can have a player around that also has netflix streaming capability without having to untangle the 360
Nothing a system update wouldn't fix. When or even IF that update ever releases who knows. But the PS3 is a very solid player.

To each his own.

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Best Buy Employees... Samsung accommodations right now
eek.gif

Too bad I bought my TV in august

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

i just bought my tv too

ill check em out tmo, please dont be too good.

I didn't check them out for myself... but from what I've heard they are VERY good

IDK if i should be posting on here what the price is... but
eek.gif

how would you compare a PS3 blu ray player's performance versus other players? Reason I'm asking is because I was either gonna get a PS3 itself or aBD player AND an XBox360. If something like a Panasonic hass better quality, performance or value than a PS3, I'll just get than and a 360. But if youguys think a PS3 is pretty good, I'll just get that alone.

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

how would you compare a PS3 blu ray player's performance versus other players? Reason I'm asking is because I was either gonna get a PS3 itself or a BD player AND an XBox360. If something like a Panasonic hass better quality, performance or value than a PS3, I'll just get than and a 360. But if you guys think a PS3 is pretty good, I'll just get that alone.
What are your needs?

Gaming or movies, or both?

I've checked a couple threads on a couple forums like AVS Forums & blu-ray.com and a lot of people say that the PS3 has faster load times but thePanasonic DMP-BD35K has slight better audio quality & sound quality.

Check out this thread:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=75318

Also right now costco has the Panasonic DMP-35K for $199 and I believe there is a mail in form that that you just mail into panasonic along with proof ofpurchase gets you The Nightmare Before Christmas and Ratatouille on blu-ray for free.

Here is the video review for Panasonic BD-35K:

Also one thing to keep in mind when comparing the PS3 and a stand alone blu-ray player is that the PS3 has built in WI-FI whereas most stand alone blu-rayplayers have ethernet ports and no WI-FI, which depending on how your home network is setup can be a deal breaker because if your runnning a wireless networkyou are going to have to run a long ethernet cable or get a ethernet over power line adapter to connect a stand alone blu-ray player for firmware updates or ifyou to want access BD-Live features on some blu-ray movies.

This came back on Slick Deals,so get it while u can...
Discovery Channel has Planet Earth Complete Collection Set (Bluray) for $35 - $5 coupon EML2008 = $30 with free shipping. Thanks estwd

Note, this is a US version, narrated by Sigourney Weaver, and you will need to choose Standard Shipping at checkout for free shipping.

Price Comparison is listed for the original BBC version, narrated by David Attenborough

Price comparison:

Originally Posted by Kidskillz858

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

how would you compare a PS3 blu ray player's performance versus other players? Reason I'm asking is because I was either gonna get a PS3 itself or a BD player AND an XBox360. If something like a Panasonic hass better quality, performance or value than a PS3, I'll just get than and a 360. But if you guys think a PS3 is pretty good, I'll just get that alone.
What are your needs?

Gaming or movies, or both?

I've checked a couple threads on a couple forums like AVS Forums & blu-ray.com and a lot of people say that the PS3 has faster load times but the Panasonic DMP-BD35K has slight better audio quality & sound quality.

Check out this thread:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=75318http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=75318

Also right now costco has the Panasonic DMP-35K for $199 and I believe there is a mail in form that that you just mail into panasonic along with proof of purchase gets you The Nightmare Before Christmas and Ratatouille on blu-ray for free.
my needs are both kidskills. Basically for me, its just gonna come down to price. I've always been a playstation head.... but i have noproblem switching up to a 360 if i get a good deal on the panasonic. I don't need alot of games anyway. I just want one good racing game (either Forza 2or GT4) and 2k9 and i'm set.

thanks for the info too

Originally Posted by Kidskillz858

Here is the video review for Panasonic BD-35K:

Also one thing to keep in mind when comparing the PS3 and a stand alone blu-ray player is that the PS3 has built in WI-FI whereas most stand alone blu-ray players have ethernet ports and no WI-FI, which depending on how your home network is setup can be a deal breaker because if your runnning a wireless network you are going to have to run a long ethernet cable or get a ethernet over power line adapter to connect a stand alone blu-ray player for firmware updates or if you to want access BD-Live features on some blu-ray movies.
hmm..�� good point with the PS3 being wireless too.

Back
Top Bottom