Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

If I have a 720 set, should I even bother getting a blu ray player?

Of course! Depending on how far way you're sitting from your TV and its quality, you're not likely to notice the difference between the two (1080p vs 720p).

Looks like you can buy a PS3 for $320 until the 17th: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1074550http://forums.slickdeals..../showthread.php?t=1074550

Edit:
.. correct me if I'm wrong, but most, if not all, sports programs are in 720
Last I read, all HD programming is either 720p or 1080i depending on the network.

it also depends on how big your t.v is... i think that is a 37inches and above where you can tell the difference...
is the ps3 deal $320 shipped??? some people said i need to see my t.v at its finest... so i should get a ps3... i wanna see planet earth on blu ray

check out http://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htm if you want a dvd rack.

just sold all my dvds since i don't even watch them, almost all of em were sealed. home network with bluray rips
smokin.gif
. too many hard drives FTL though.i have 2x 1.5TB, 4x 500GB, 2x 250GB, and a 320GB. then my two 100GB portable drives. gotta backup everything
laugh.gif
. now i have to organize all my files thisweek since school is done.

Originally Posted by freshhh

i havent really read through this, but i work at best buy right near the home theater department.
and they have a 120hz samsung tv on display showing blu ray movies.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

i was mad that i just bought a 60hz tv til i found out its twice the price for a 120hz
laugh.gif

quality is insane, its not even a movie anymore. its like im watching them film it.

Man, I swear this is what I must have seen the other day at Best Buy when I was doing some Christmas shopping. I mean, I have pretty good av equipment (ps3,pioneer 50-inch plasma) and I have seen my share of hd material, via blu-ray and hd networks, but what I saw I best buy blew my mind, literally. The picturequality was beyond compare. They had a demo running of Batman Begins and I literally watched like 30 minutes. That's how impressive the PQ was. Like,without any exaggeration whatsoever, it was seriously like watching two people have a conversation right in front of you. It was surreal.

How much do 120hz tvs go for?

fraij da 5 11 - info on that dvd stand pls...

btw the dark knight blu ray 1080p = WOW!!!

u can clearly see the diff. between dvd and blu ray.....if ur in denial about it, get ur eyes checked

Originally Posted by CrimsonCloudAttire

i havent really read through this, but i work at best buy right near the home theater department.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

i was mad that i just bought a 60hz tv til i found out its twice the price for a 120hz
laugh.gif

quality is insane, its not even a movie anymore. its like im watching them film it.

Man, I swear this is what I must have seen the other day at Best Buy when I was doing some Christmas shopping. I mean, I have pretty good av equipment (ps3, pioneer 50-inch plasma) and I have seen my share of hd material, via blu-ray and hd networks, but what I saw I best buy blew my mind, literally. The picture quality was beyond compare. They had a demo running of Batman Begins and I literally watched like 30 minutes. That's how impressive the PQ was. Like, without any exaggeration whatsoever, it was seriously like watching two people have a conversation right in front of you. It was surreal.

i got my t.v with a stand 4 to 6 months ago for $1900.. 46 inches..Samsung LN46A650 " Touch of Color"... 120hz, 1080p, 50,000:1 contrast ratio....
i believe you can find them between $1400 to $1600
mad.gif

So i copped TDK and was pretty excited to watch it on my 1080p Samsung, I've never seen a Bluray before on an HDTV so i didn't know what to expect. Iwasn't really impressed, it looked clear but not really incredibly different than an HD HBO movie. I'm gonna change the settings like in the videoKidskillz858 posted says you're supposed but is there any other reason why it wouldn't look as good as it should?

yeah i'm waitin to get a good deal on a sammy 6 series...
i'm on a vizio 37" rite now that i bought nearly 2 years ago

obvious upgrade is to 1080p and 120hz, aiming for a 42" screen

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

fraij da 5 11 - info on that dvd stand pls...

btw the dark knight blu ray 1080p = WOW!!!

u can clearly see the diff. between dvd and blu ray.....if ur in denial about it, get ur eyes checked
http://www.bestbuy.com/si...duct&id=1134703776749

The stand is on a lazy susan so it rotates 360*... real easy to set up, took me like 20 minutes to put it all together.. just need a Phillips head screwdriver
happy.gif

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

ehh yea nevermind dumb quesrion

that panasonic looks good up there
Nah not stupid... just look at the back of the TV somewhere and find a Model number... itd be an easy look up.
wink.gif

I don't even know why I still own any HD DVDs, pointless. Blu Ray FTMFGDFWB!
Both are the same pic quality... but i wont get into that discussion again.

Bottom line is, buying HD DVD's for $3-$4>> buying BD's for $20+ still... ill be watching HD DVD's until my player breaks
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by deezxnutz

check out http://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htmhttp://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htm if you want a dvd rack.

just sold all my dvds since i don't even watch them, almost all of em were sealed. home network with bluray rips
smokin.gif
. too many hard drives FTL though. i have 2x 1.5TB, 4x 500GB, 2x 250GB, and a 320GB. then my two 100GB portable drives. gotta backup everything
laugh.gif
. now i have to organize all my files this week since school is done.
You are the type of person Microsoft will love in the future. Microsoft is banking on digital downloads as being the future after blu-ray which iswhy they refuse to release a add on blu-ray drive for the XBOX 360. I myself don't see how digital downloads will be the next big thing.

Originally Posted by CrimsonCloudAttire

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

laugh.gif

Man, I swear this is what I must have seen the other day at Best Buy when I was doing some Christmas shopping. I mean, I have pretty good av equipment (ps3, pioneer 50-inch plasma) and I have seen my share of hd material, via blu-ray and hd networks, but what I saw I best buy blew my mind, literally. The picture quality was beyond compare. They had a demo running of Batman Begins and I literally watched like 30 minutes. That's how impressive the PQ was. Like, without any exaggeration whatsoever, it was seriously like watching two people have a conversation right in front of you. It was surreal.

Man after i saw that i was kinda mad i just bought my tv.

but i got a 32inch samsung 550 for $700.
i checked the prices tho
woulda been like $1200 for the 120hz
i wasnt mad at all anymore
laugh.gif

plus a 40 would be pretty big in my room.

Originally Posted by Kidskillz858

check out http://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htmhttp://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htmhttp://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htm if you want a dvd rack.

smokin.gif
. too many hard drives FTL though. i have 2x 1.5TB, 4x 500GB, 2x 250GB, and a 320GB. then my two 100GB portable drives. gotta backup everything
laugh.gif
You are the type of person Microsoft will love in the future. Microsoft is banking on digital downloads as being the future after blu-ray which is why they refuse to release a add on blu-ray drive for the XBOX 360. I myself don't see how digital downloads will be the next big thing.
digital downloads would do better if the ISPs and movie companies would cooperate but there would be a lot of profits lost. ISPs are trying to capmonthly bandwidth on downloads and movie companies are charging the same prices for a digital movie and a physical copy. of course no one will want to buy adigital copy for the same price. netflix knows what's up. they're adapting to the technology unlike blockbuster. they know that DVD distribution willbe dead in the future so they're working on online movie streaming and implementing it into as much hardware as possible. there's still a long way togo for the average consumer to take advantage of digital downloads and media streaming but it'll happen.

u guys are lucky buying a TV now. my 40" 2 years ago cost me $1800.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Kidskillz858

check out http://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htmhttp://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htmhttp://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htmhttp://boltz.com/showitems_deptcode1_501.htm if you want a dvd rack.

smokin.gif
laugh.gif
You are the type of person Microsoft will love in the future. Microsoft is banking on digital downloads as being the future after blu-ray which is why they refuse to release a add on blu-ray drive for the XBOX 360. I myself don't see how digital downloads will be the next big thing.
digital downloads would do better if the ISPs and movie companies would cooperate but there would be a lot of profits lost. ISPs are trying to cap monthly bandwidth on downloads and movie companies are charging the same prices for a digital movie and a physical copy. of course no one will want to buy a digital copy for the same price. netflix knows what's up. they're adapting to the technology unlike blockbuster. they know that DVD distribution will be dead in the future so they're working on online movie streaming and implementing it into as much hardware as possible. there's still a long way to go for the average consumer to take advantage of digital downloads and media streaming but it'll happen.

u guys are lucky buying a TV now. my 40" 2 years ago cost me $1800.
frown.gif
Tell me about it. I bought mine last year for $1600 and they now run for $700
grin.gif

Is there a big difference between 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound? I have a Blu Ray player and 1080p TV, and was looking into purchasing a home theater system. Dothey even make 7.1 home theater systems yet? Any info would help a ton, thanks!

Originally Posted by swizzc

Is there a big difference between 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound? I have a Blu Ray player and 1080p TV, and was looking into purchasing a home theater system. Do they even make 7.1 home theater systems yet? Any info would help a ton, thanks!
Yea they make them... youre not gonna find an HTIB thats 7.1 or 7.2 that i know of but you can get a 7.1 channel receiver like the Yamaha 683 and883 (think those are the models...) and then just customize your HT around that with some nice speakers...

The receiver alone is gonna run you $500+ though

But listening to an uncompressed BD audio track on some fly speakers is
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Is there a big difference between 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound? I have a Blu Ray player and 1080p TV, and was looking into purchasing a home theater system. Do they even make 7.1 home theater systems yet? Any info would help a ton, thanks!
Yea they make them... youre not gonna find an HTIB thats 7.1 or 7.2 that i know of but you can get a 7.1 channel receiver like the Yamaha 683 and 883 (think those are the models...) and then just customize your HT around that with some nice speakers...

eek.gif
pimp.gif
you sure there arent any 7/1 HTIB? I couldve swore i've upstocked some sammy 7.1s in the warehouse before
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Yea they make them... youre not gonna find an HTIB thats 7.1 or 7.2 that i know of but you can get a 7.1 channel receiver like the Yamaha 683 and 883 (think those are the models...) and then just customize your HT around that with some nice speakers...

eek.gif
pimp.gif
you sure there arent any 7/1 HTIB? I couldve swore i've upstocked some sammy 7.1s in the warehouse before
nerd.gif
Not at my store i dont think
nerd.gif

If Yamaha came out with one of those with 7.1 and 2 HDMI ins i would cop in a second though
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Lol fraij, I do keep my cardboard slip covers too. I don't know why.
laugh.gif
Right? I always take em out of the cover and look at it and for a split second i consider tossing it in the trash, then im like "....nah thisjoint got stickers on it
pimp.gif
nerd.gif
" and leave it on there
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

frail...wanna give me a discount on a panasonic blu ray or monster cables (before I get flamed, its for my cousin who swears by them)

you do not need HDMI monster cables.... its the $100 name you pay for... monoprice is the place you wanna get your hdmi cables at...

^ Right... Don't get the Monster Cables! You don't need em! regular, good ole HDMI cables will be just fine.
Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Lol fraij, I do keep my cardboard slip covers too. I don't know why.
laugh.gif

You're not the only one...
laugh.gif

I didnt even buy my BD player from BB
laugh.gif
you can get better deals that include some BD's online... keep an eye out on amazon.com and slickdeals.net

and monster cables are OD... id consider hooking up a rocketfish but ive already bought a !+$% load of those and they on the verge of looking at me crookedwhen i cop cables
laugh.gif
even the geeks at avsforum.com will
smh.gif
at anyone who pays more than the $4 that you pay at monoprice.

That being said... I paid $25 on a Digital Coaxial audio Monster cable the other day cause i couldnt wait for shipping from anywhere and we dont carry any DCrocketfish/dynex joints
smh.gif
laugh.gif
and im not even happy with the cable cause i thought i was going to break my BD player trying to put it on
sick.gif
its one of thosejoints that you have to twist and push reallllll hard at the same time to get it on... had me
indifferent.gif
..... i wouldnt be surprised if my DC input ripped right out ifi tried to remove the damn thing
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom