Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

Here's an interesting read... stay away from these I guess...
laugh.gif

Little Lumps ofCoal: The Worst Blu-rays of 2008

Originally Posted by eteam o2

BD-Live
pimp.gif
Speaking of BD live... i havent been able to get mine to work...

Where do i go to register for it?? i think i registered for Disneys BD live but so you gotta do it for like sony, paramont, WB etc etc???

I updated my BD player but when i went to get on BD live for TDK it said i have to be connected to the internet, which i was via Ethernet...

dunno =\

I watched TDK on blu ray today and my only beef with the movie itself, was the sound, but that's mostly because of the dark shadow it was made to cast. TheIMAX scenes are really clear and those skyline shots were unbelievable.

Netflixed Planet Earth on BD cause i wanted to compare it with HD DVD on my xbox (Component cables...)

Heres what i got...

HD DVD Component

BD HDMI

HD DVD Component

BD HDMI

Has anyone mentioned streaming Netflix through a Blu-ray player? Maybe someone did it through their XBox. Regardless, a family member picked up the LG BD300 soI'll let y'all know how Netflix works with it. I believe it's standard definition so I don't expect much, but It seems like a better deal thangoing to a rental store when it's late or you're feeling lazy.

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

Has anyone mentioned streaming Netflix through a Blu-ray player? Maybe someone did it through their XBox. Regardless, a family member picked up the LG BD300 so I'll let y'all know how Netflix works with it. I believe it's standard definition so I don't expect much, but It seems like a better deal than going to a rental store when it's late or you're feeling lazy.
They do have HD content... not everything but i think a lot of the shows that are available in HD on TV are available in HD on netflix... iwatched the Office and 30 Rock on netflix, all in HD.

Originally Posted by DaNiKeRhiNo

I noticed that the BD screens look a bit more sharper than the HD DVD screens.
Yea, my demonstration is more of contrasting the difference between HDMI vs Component cables...

My camera isnt the best and you can still notice the differences between the two... while i looked at it in person its a pretty big difference.

reminder: for this week
band of brothers is $37.49 @ best buy

as well as other HBO box sets apparently.
i think the only other box sets on blu from hbo is Sopranos season 6 which comes in 2 parts.

still good deals.

oh and apparently Amazon has price matched them as well.
tax free(ymmv) & free shipping for those patient enough to wait for it

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

They need to release the first 2 Xmen on blu-ray ...

yup.. or release a box set of x men... first thing im tryna do is build up my Marvel movie collection

fraij da 5 11 wrote:
DaNiKeRhiNo wrote:
I noticed that the BD screens look a bit more sharper than the HD DVD screens.
Yea, my demonstration is more of contrasting the difference between HDMI vs Component cables...

My camera isnt the best and you can still notice the differences between the two... while i looked at it in person its a pretty big difference.

That was my initial impression as well (that you were comparing HDMI vs Component), because as far as I know, the PQ of a movie on Blu vs. HDDVD should beidentical if they used the same codec. The question is, did they ever release the same movie using different codecs for Blu vs HDDVD?

Originally Posted by SinnerP

The question is, did they ever release the same movie using different codecs for Blu vs HDDVD?
off the top of my head the one that comes to mind is District B13, hd = vc 1, bd = mpeg 2

I watched I-Robot on blu ray yesterday and I think picture and sound wise, Hulk was better. Good movie though. I'll probably pop in Nightmare BeforeChristmas today as well.

Bump...

-Can fraij or someone else point me towards a quality Blu-Ray player that's inexpensive?
-My HDTV is 1080i so will Blu-Ray still look
eek.gif
?

Copped Band of Brothers tonight at Wal-mart for the Best Buy price. Price match ftw. I was on a damn mission tonight--went to 6 stores trying to find theBlu-Ray joint, and finally got lucky at the last stop.

I should have just ordered it online, but that Christmas cash was burning a hole in my pocket. Instant gratification was necessary.

Back
Top Bottom