Boardwalk Empire Season 3 Thread - "Margate Sands" SEASON FINALE

arnold rothstein's goons got goons

pimp.gif

I guess Rothstein doesn't mind starting a war in NY anymore. I was kinda suprised at how reckless and sloppily his hit on Gyp was. Usually he's a lot more calculating than that.

I guess Rothstein doesn't mind starting a war in NY anymore. I was kinda suprised at how reckless and sloppily his hit on Gyp was. Usually he's a lot more calculating than that.
IMO it was pretty calculating. It wasn't just send a fake newspaper boy in there firing. He did it while Gyp was having his little kinky sex and had Bugsy pose as the guy they were all expecting, getting by with the lie and he managed to kill everyone in the house except Gyp.

I think he thought it was gonna work. He really didn't want to cause a war in NYC but given business partners it makes a world of more sense to deal with Nuck than Gyp. So he took that risk.

Last edited:
IMO it was pretty calculating. It wasn't just send a fake newspaper boy in there firing. He did it while Gyp was having his little kinky sex and had Bugsy pose as the guy they were all expecting, getting by with the lie and he managed to kill everyone in the house except Gyp.
I think he thought it was gonna work. He really didn't want to cause a war in NYC but given business partners it makes a world of more sense to deal with Nuck than Gyp. So he took that risk.
Oh, well if the idea is that Rothstein knew the exact time Gyp was having the kinky sex and knew the exact positioning of all of Gyp's men,then I guess it was pretty calculating. But it's just hard for me to buy that scenario. I mean, if all it took was for Gyp to have his door locked to throw the whole plan off, then it was kinda sloppy.

Unless I missed something otherwise, my guess is Rothstein told Lansky and Luciano to take care of it, and that was the best plan they came up with. Send the maniac Benny who has something to prove and that's what happened. It was a good plan with one problem at the end.

Hey_

can we assume that nucky was in on the plan to kill gyp?

as in that he knew about it...

Its stated in the episode.

Owen: I don't like that its out of our hands.

Nucky: If it goes wrong, the blame lies with someone else.

Later in the episode Owen reports the results of the failed hit.

Julius F. Wrek

I think some of you guys missed the genius in the Chalky/Pearnsly/Cantor scene. They set it up perfectly. When Nucky is trying to convince Cantor to help Billy out and Nucky says "you know what the show needs?" Cantor interrupts him and says "some dub prantzing around like a schvartze" and does the whole c o o n hands. He basically made a racially insensitive joke. Schvartze is yiddish for n_. So Nuck turns around and send Chalky and Pearnsly not only to intimidate him but also to give them the opportunity to turn the tables on Cantor if you will. They say in the room they don't get to see Cantor because the places he plays basically don't allow colored people. So a private show with Cantor is unheard of. A more likely scenario would be for them as blacks to be shucking and jiving on a stage for HIS amusement. That's why they didn't just make him do what Nucky wants but instead took it a step further and made him do a song and dance that they clearly had no interest in. It was a powerful moment for them. As exemplified by them insisting on being called Mr. White and Mr. Pearnsly. The whole scene was an empowering role reversal, expertly executed.

This had to be a top 3 episode overall for me. So many noteworthy things happened. We got to see how much of a psycho Gyp really is in that first scene. Then in the argument between Nuck and Rothstein, Rothstein finally takes off his poker face and lets Nuck know exactly what he's thinking. Nuck jabs back and lets him know that he's not for play either. I think they both needed that moment of honesty so there wouldn't be any misunderstandings in the future. It allowed them to focus on Gyp. And if you go back and look, when Rothstein is at the table with Gyp and Gyp tells the paperboy where to bring the paper Rothstein drops his pokerface again for just a second as he sees the window of opportunity materialize (basically linking the Nucky argument scene to the shootout scene). Rothstein doesn't like to get his hands dirty but he will if he has to. There was likely an agreement btwn Nuck and Rothstein b4 he left Nuck's place. Owen telling Nucky the results at the end pretty much confirms that. And the shootout scene was on some Scorsese x Tarantino :wow: The way it happened and the way they filmed it was top notch. Gyp walking down the hallway buck naked, cover in blood, with a belt tied around his neck and his dong hanging was one of the rawest scenes I've ever seen on HBO. Pause and no pun intended. Gyp is about to take it to another level. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Yo Rav I'ma need you to break down every scene, at least the ones with subtle stuff like that, from now on! Dope stuff.

Yo Rav I'ma need you to break down every scene, at least the ones with subtle stuff like that, from now on! Dope stuff.
I don't always have time to watch episodes twice (considering I'm watching no less than a half dozen shows simultaneously) but when its one of the better scenes I definitely try to at least watch the scene again. You pick up a lot of stuff you may have missed. I'm more than happy to share the stuff I pick up on.

2cents:
- yo when you're blazed, this show makes a lot more sense and you tend to catch all the subtleties.
- that whole Mellon scene - its basically saying that prohibition is like a boon for politicians, law enforcement and the speaks, which have vested interest in keeping the whole thing going.
- Van Alden may be down and out, but he stays inadvertently pulling the best broads on the show.
- Rosetti is easily the most interesting character that ive seen on television in a minute.
- I dont miss jimmy at all.

Back
Top Bottom