Bryant Gumbel - "David Stern like a modern plantation overseer"

If you listen to the entire closing of that episode of Real Sports, in contexts, its not as bad as it sounds .

Also that piece of Jerry West was probably the best segment in the series' history.

HORRIBLE timing... he is doing the NBAPA a huge disservice, NBA bout to become a pro-am league
tired.gif

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Wasn't about comparing athletes to slaves...it's Stern's actions as commissioner to an overseer.
it implies that stern is treating these pro athletes as slaves.
The point.
Your head.

Implies...
laugh.gif

If the average "worker" on that "plantation" is making an average of $5 million a year, where do I sign up?? Brian Gumble is a clown and has been known to play the race card. Tried to hate on the winter olympics saying it wasn't a real sporting even because of the lack of diversity. As much as I don't like Stern, this point of view is somewhat asinine. The players already have everything, they have guaranteed money and no hard cap, if anything in the previous cba the players were the ones controlling the league and the owners had to succumb to them. What is wrong with the owners trying to strong arm the players into a better deal for them? players don't deserve what they are making right now, half of them go out there and play half +$@ every night anyways. I think this thought process stems from how Stern is using the media to somewhat sway public opinion. If you ask me that is a damn smart move, if the players union has a problem with it why don't they come out and try and do the same thing, instead they sit there with their mouths shut not trying to do a damn thing to change the opinions Stern is creating.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Wasn't about comparing athletes to slaves...it's Stern's actions as commissioner to an overseer.
it implies that stern is treating these pro athletes as slaves.
The point.
Your head.

Implies...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

you're right..it is over my head. just like most of the stuff gumbel is always crying about
laugh.gif

the dress-code, no arguing calls, and no 6 year contracts aren't really great examples to support this point. would love to here more examples of the oppression.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

2006 on the Winter Olympics:
"Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention. Try not to point out that something’s not really a sport if a pseudo-athlete waits in what’s called a kiss-and-cry area, while some panel of subjective judges decides who won ... So if only to hasten the arrival of the day they’re done, when we can move on to March Madness — for God’s sake, let the games begin."
He tries so hard to be controversial.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Plantation is the key word. Plantations date back to the latifundia of the Roman Empire and continue to exist today, and they have only relied on slave labor for a small proportion of their existence.

And the swastika has been a symbol of peace outside a small amount of time where it was used by the Nazi party. If you use certain symbols or phrases, it will inevitably evoke a certain reaction. It is a poor choice of words, plain and simple.

While I have defended him on this board, I do think Stern is overly autocratic and tends to talk to pretty much the rest of the world like he's much, much smarter than them. So, in that respect, I see what Gumbel was getting at. I don't like the plantation analogy though. It adds a racial overtone that I don't think needs to be in the discussion. Stern's not racist -- he thinks he's better than everyone.

If you don't think that Stern has ran this sport like a dictator you have your head up your @#$. 

Bud Selig has guys drinking in clubhouses and taking naked batting practice.  He doesn't suit and tie them up. 
Goodell is an @#$%^&* and likes to tell people when they've been bad during their free time, but he doesn't give out threats like show where the bodies are hidden and what not. 

Stern runs this league however he feels like with 29 other white guys and then insult these guys with his bs 35% BRI offer to start, that's roughly EIGHT HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MILLION DOLLAR LOSSES that he said to their face, and thought that was ok.  Pointing his finger in players faces during negotiations, making up FLAT OUT LIES and doing whatever he wants to make the players look like they are at fault.  He knew, as many of us did, that the owners were winning this negotiation, and instead of simply doing a deal that would be fair enough, but still an owner win, he decided to play along and belittle the players.  What does that sound like to you? 

Not a guy that wants to have the league operating as normal, that's for sure.  He coulda had this deal done before July 1, easy.  But he didn't want that.  He wanted to piss on the players and make them all look bad.  And some of you people buy it hook line and sinker. 
30t6p3b.gif

Some of you are so naive when it comes to racial issues in the United States, and even the world today.

One day it'll all make sense...

He used the plantation overseer analogy FOR A REASON! So you fools would be up in arms
laugh.gif
but he IS right.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

I don't like the plantation analogy though. It adds a racial overtone that I don't think needs to be in the discussion. Stern's not racist -- he thinks he's better than everyone.
Racial overtone =/= racism
I don't have a problem with discussing race, I do have a problem when people try to dismiss it as being a non-factor in things because it almost always play some kind of role. 

It's not like Gumbel was saying anything that other people weren't already thinking. It's not nearly as bad as when Dan Gilbert acted like
a slavemaster when Lebron left Cleveland, like Lebron freed himself and learned how to read.

Originally Posted by CP1708

If you don't think that Stern has ran this sport like a dictator you have your head up your @#$. 

Bud Selig has guys drinking in clubhouses and taking naked batting practice.  He doesn't suit and tie them up. 
Goodell is an @#$%^&* and likes to tell people when they've been bad during their free time, but he doesn't give out threats like show where the bodies are hidden and what not. 

Stern runs this league however he feels like with 29 other white guys and then insult these guys with his bs 35% BRI offer to start, that's roughly EIGHT HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MILLION DOLLAR LOSSES that he said to their face, and thought that was ok.  Pointing his finger in players faces during negotiations, making up FLAT OUT LIES and doing whatever he wants to make the players look like they are at fault.  He knew, as many of us did, that the owners were winning this negotiation, and instead of simply doing a deal that would be fair enough, but still an owner win, he decided to play along and belittle the players.  What does that sound like to you? 

Not a guy that wants to have the league operating as normal, that's for sure.  He coulda had this deal done before July 1, easy.  But he didn't want that.  He wanted to piss on the players and make them all look bad.  And some of you people buy it hook line and sinker. 
30t6p3b.gif
I completely understand your point of view, and honestly couldn't care less about the players or owners.  But the players already have and are continuing to ask to much.  Yes the 35% offer was a slap in the face, but the players counter offer was just as ridiculous.  Players should have taken the 50/50 when it was on the table, they aren't going to do any better than that.  Stern is playing his cards smart though, he is using the media to build a case against the players and change the public opinion to back the owners. And for the most part so far that has worked.  The players have nobody to blame but themselves, there is nothing stopping them from coming out and publicly speaking like Stern is and trying to sway opinions their way. 

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by CP1708

30t6p3b.gif
I completely understand your point of view, and honestly couldn't care less about the players or owners.  But the players already have and are continuing to ask to much.  Yes the 35% offer was a slap in the face, but the players counter offer was just as ridiculous.  Players should have taken the 50/50 when it was on the table, they aren't going to do any better than that.  Stern is playing his cards smart though, he is using the media to build a case against the players and change the public opinion to back the owners. And for the most part so far that has worked.  The players have nobody to blame but themselves, there is nothing stopping them from coming out and publicly speaking like Stern is and trying to sway opinions their way. 

Wrong. 

You think starting at 4% (3% above the 50/50 you speak of) is ridiculous?  How on earth is that?  Players say 53, owners say 47, they meet in the middle at 50, give or take a point here or there.  Easy.  That's how you do it. 

If the players START at 50, the owners just bring them down, say 42, next thing you know the players are at 46 and have to agree.  That's not smart, at all. 

So saying 4% and offering up 160 million dollars a year to make up money the owners lost them damn selves for bein stupid is pretty fair. Asking for 880 million should have gotten somebody beat up in the @#$%^& hallway. 
laugh.gif

As for the last part, lemme see if I got this right, the players should come out and teld bold face lies like Stern, and that would make them look BETTER?  What the @#$%?  Stern is up there lyin his face off, and the players aren't getting into a pissing contest at all, and this makes STERN LOOK SMART? 
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
  People are even more dumb than I thought then. 

I do not in any way want Derek Fisher up on the podium saying things like "we think asking for 75% of the BRI is a fair deal, the owners are just trying to hold us back" 
A complete and utter joke of a statement, but when Stern says things almost as bad, the masses eat it up. 
grin.gif

Look at how he handles these "negotiations"...making threats and impasse deadlines "if there's no deal by 10/13, I don't think we'll be playing on Xmas"

Compare that to the way that the NFL lockout was handled. IMO, it's pretty clear that Stern doesn't have a lot of respect for the players or their union.

I don't like the plantation analogy though. It adds a racial overtone that I don't think needs to be in the discussion. Stern's not racist -- he thinks he's better than everyone.
I don't have a problem with discussing race, I do have a problem when people try to dismiss it as being a non-factor in things because it almost always play some kind of role. 

I understand your point.  And I'm not dismissing race as a factor in the NBA labor negotiations.  I just don't think it is the driving consideration behind the way Stern runs the NBA.  I happen to think Stern would act the same way if he was the commissioner of the NHL.  Of course, there's no way for me to prove that.      

Originally Posted by airblaster503

If the average "worker" on that "plantation" is making an average of $5 million a year, where do I sign up?? Brian Gumble is a clown and has been known to play the race card. Tried to hate on the winter olympics saying it wasn't a real sporting even because of the lack of diversity. As much as I don't like Stern, this point of view is somewhat asinine. The players already have everything, they have guaranteed money and no hard cap, if anything in the previous cba the players were the ones controlling the league and the owners had to succumb to them. What is wrong with the owners trying to strong arm the players into a better deal for them? players don't deserve what they are making right now, half of them go out there and play half +$@ every night anyways. I think this thought process stems from how Stern is using the media to somewhat sway public opinion. If you ask me that is a damn smart move, if the players union has a problem with it why don't they come out and try and do the same thing, instead they sit there with their mouths shut not trying to do a damn thing to change the opinions Stern is creating.
HAHAHAHAHA.... that's that good hate. I like it.

I understand your point.  And I'm not dismissing race as a factor in the NBA labor negotiations.  I just don't think it is the driving consideration behind the way Stern runs the NBA.  I happen to think Stern would act the same way if he was the commissioner of the NHL.  Of course, there's no way for me to prove that.      
I don't think it's the driving factor either. It just amazes me how quickly people want to dismiss the race factor when it's brought up, like it's a sin to even consider racial implications. Haven't seen it in this thread, but peep the comments on some of the websites where these articles have been posted...I'm speechless.

Im a fan of anyone who says something negative about Stern. The day Stern is no longer the commissioner will easily be the one of the greatest days of my life.

Back
Top Bottom