Bryant Gumbel - "David Stern like a modern plantation overseer"

That elephant in the room been doing a dance number for years now. No harm in Gumbel noting it.

PaulMooney1.jpg

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Look at how he handles these "negotiations"...making threats and impasse deadlines "if there's no deal by 10/13, I don't think we'll be playing on Xmas"

Compare that to the way that the NFL lockout was handled. IMO, it's pretty clear that Stern doesn't have a lot of respect for the players or their union.

The NFL players held out and they got crushed. Goodel sat back as De Smith guided the union into a brick wall. Players trying to hold out benefits no one especially them themselves.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

laugh.gif
boy got balls to say that about a Jew......*%%# can be lowkey career suicide but Gumbel do have decades in this *%%#
It's not like he called him anything offensive though, and there were jewish slave owners...!@#@ judah benjamin a jew was once of the highest ranking members of the confederacy, I doubt that will be an issue.

And I applaude Gumbel.  Stern did a wonderful job with the NBA for the first about 20 years of his job but he's bending down to the owners too much lately and becoming too much of a tyrant.
the holocaust card is >>>>>>> slavery card
just saying

Stern is a dip !@*#. NBA will never again be successful under his reign. His time has been up for years.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

If the average "worker" on that "plantation" is making an average of $5 million a year, where do I sign up?? Brian Gumble is a clown and has been known to play the race card. Tried to hate on the winter olympics saying it wasn't a real sporting even because of the lack of diversity. As much as I don't like Stern, this point of view is somewhat asinine. The players already have everything, they have guaranteed money and no hard cap, if anything in the previous cba the players were the ones controlling the league and the owners had to succumb to them. What is wrong with the owners trying to strong arm the players into a better deal for them? players don't deserve what they are making right now, half of them go out there and play half +$@ every night anyways. I think this thought process stems from how Stern is using the media to somewhat sway public opinion. If you ask me that is a damn smart move, if the players union has a problem with it why don't they come out and try and do the same thing, instead they sit there with their mouths shut not trying to do a damn thing to change the opinions Stern is creating.
You sir are an idiot. 

Stern is one of, if not the most powerful man in sports. 

Whether or not you agree with some of his policies, for example :I actually like the result of the dress code, however, it was started for all the wrong reasons. Intent is what I judge actions on, not results.

As far as your post, as little as I want to even address it, I feel it necessary after being real. What does them making 5 million a year have to do with anything Gumbel said? You do realize that the owners make 20 times that, and this is a side gig for most of them. 

Exploitation is exploitation.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by airblaster503

If the average "worker" on that "plantation" is making an average of $5 million a year, where do I sign up?? Brian Gumble is a clown and has been known to play the race card. Tried to hate on the winter olympics saying it wasn't a real sporting even because of the lack of diversity. As much as I don't like Stern, this point of view is somewhat asinine. The players already have everything, they have guaranteed money and no hard cap, if anything in the previous cba the players were the ones controlling the league and the owners had to succumb to them. What is wrong with the owners trying to strong arm the players into a better deal for them? players don't deserve what they are making right now, half of them go out there and play half +$@ every night anyways. I think this thought process stems from how Stern is using the media to somewhat sway public opinion. If you ask me that is a damn smart move, if the players union has a problem with it why don't they come out and try and do the same thing, instead they sit there with their mouths shut not trying to do a damn thing to change the opinions Stern is creating.
You sir are an idiot. 

Stern is one of, if not the most powerful man in sports. 

Whether or not you agree with some of his policies, for example :I actually like the result of the dress code, however, it was started for all the wrong reasons. Intent is what I judge actions on, not results.

As far as your post, as little as I want to even address it, I feel it necessary after being real. What does them making 5 million a year have to do with anything Gumbel said? You do realize that the owners make 20 times that, and this is a side gig for most of them. 

Exploitation is exploitation.

I'll get exploited to make a $20 million a year.

I don't normally agree with Whitlock's point of view, but I do read his columns for the entertainment value. Here's some of the highlights:
That wasn’t Gumbel’s point. Gumbel laced his critique of Stern with a loaded comparison so we would take notice of his larger point: The NBA’s commissioner is bullying the players unfairly and treating them in a condescending fashion during the lockout because there is a severe power imbalance.
Agreed.

But these NBA players are not victims during this lockout. Not of David Stern.

They’re victims of their own immaturity, stupidity and delusion. They have the wherewithal and resources to stand toe to toe with Commissioner Stern, but they are improperly using and undermining their power. Gumbel’s commentary on HBO’s Real Sports won’t help them realize and effectively utilize their power. It will assist the players in curling up in a fetal position and playing the victim.

And here's where it gets interesting, because although Whitlock has a reputation for same old tired anti-hip hop/baby mama angle when it comes to today's generation of athletes he's right about this...respect is earned not given and the players do (or did, at least) have the resources and leverage to demand respect from Stern/owners respect but they may have missed that opportunity. We all knew this day was coming for a while now, Stern definitely looks like he had a game plan ready and now he's in full attack mode killing the players at this chess game. The star players like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, etc are a part of the engine who drive the NBA so they should have done something before this lockout to grab the owners attention and remind them just how important they are to the league. I remember reading a blog post about how the star players should've boycotted NBA All-Star weekend to boost their leverage in this process, but instead their game plan just appears to have been just to save up and hope that Billy Hunter can convince the owners to come to their senses.
With millions of dollars at stake, Stern is going to use his power and every other advantage he has to get the best deal for the owners. That’s his job. There’s no amount of begging or whining that’s going to stop Stern. Nor should it. If the players want respect during this lockout or at any other time, they should deal with Stern on his level.

I wouldn't categorize what the players are doing as begging or whining, but agree 100% with that last statement. I still believe that the players have equal leverage to some degree in the NBA, but fighting the battle in the boardroom or with their wallets by holding out they're never going to win.

I've never liked nor trusted $tern, but if you're trying to put this lockout entirely on his shoulders, you're completely ignoring the facts.

The NBA, by far and away, has had the most ridiculous and unsustainable contracts and pay-grades. It's not even close. The NFL rookie wages were out of control...but they were pulling in billion dollar profits. Baseball has ridiculous contracts...but they've got twice as many games to sell tickets, merchandise, concession sales, etc.

Most NBA teams were straight-up hemorrhaging money, in the 10's of millions each year. It's unfortunate, but this had to happen.

A new system more than likely had to happen, but a lockout and the manner in which negotiations are happening did not.

I still dont understand why the owners are blaming the players for getting paid too much, when they are the ones paying the players...no one told Atlanta to pay Joe Johnson $120 mil if they didn't know who was gonna run the team in a year. That's just common sense. How you lose $300 million in a year where the NBA had it's highest ratings EVER is just bad business sense.

A new system more than likely had to happen, but a lockout and the manner in which negotiations are happening did not.
I'll agree with that, but you quoted it yourself: the players have been undermining themselves throughout this process, so they're not free of blame in that either. With this much money at stake, it was bound to get ugly.

It's ironic, because I think the only way to get a deal done is if the stars of the league band together and stand-up...but they have no incentive to do so, because they're not the ones who're getting overpaid. It's the mid-level dudes getting 7-year $60 million contracts that are killing the league.

It's ironic, because I think the only way to get a deal done is if the stars of the league band together and stand-up...but they have no incentive to do so, because they're not the ones who're getting overpaid.
But in reality, the stars and superstar rookies are underpaid so they do have an incentive to make sure that the new CBA doesn't force them to take another unjustified pay cut. If Dwight Howard was getting paid accordingly in Orlando there wouldn't have been enough money left over to sign Lewis for $100+ million
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

I'll agree with that, but you quoted it yourself: the players have been undermining themselves throughout this process, so they're not free of blame in that either. With this much money at stake, it was bound to get ugly.

It's ironic, because I think the only way to get a deal done is if the stars of the league band together and stand-up...but they have no incentive to do so, because they're not the ones who're getting overpaid. It's the mid-level dudes getting 7-year $60 million contracts that are killing the league.
This stood out for me in that article:  "Rather than beat up Stern for being an overseer, why isn’t the focus on the foolishness of basketball players moonlighting as labor negotiators?"

One huge publicity stunt for his show. I never knew he had a show until now and I'm sure he's going to gain some viewers because of this.

Back
Top Bottom