Building a Better NikeTalk: What are your favorite website designs/layouts?

-One thing that bugs me is that when embedding videos you have to use the "old" embed code for things like YouTube. Many other types of embedding just simply do not work on this platform.

-The ability to just drag and drop items into a post, on the fly, would be a welcome addition.

-An actual legit search function would be nice. Currently the best way to find anything on NT you're looking for is just to go straight to Google and type in "niketalk xxxxx"

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I would like a, "Go to first unread post" link to the left of each listed thread though. That would be nice.

They have this already..
click this 
80925b17116ba565329d54db401f083992eafe1.png
 for any thread that you've been in previously and want to find new posts..

I believe you have to be logged in though

Have an "@" capability with a notifcation system...

So if someone mentions my name in a thread Via @Kaycurrency, there will be a notification on my NT notification tool bar

Mods - Meth, Dirty...
What are the features you guys want the most? 

^ Kay I like that idea.

I still think we should organize the homepage more. Compress it and simplify it.

Have our main subjects "The Kicks, The Vault, The Lounge ETC" listed and then the sub-sections be dropboxed when you mouse over or click.

Also, I don't think we need any of that key word space up there. Does anyone ever use that?

Also, our formatting help tools should dropbox as well instead of opening a new page.

Instead of having to manually quote text...(the coding comes out wrong when I use my Mac) there should be a "reply to" feature for replying to a specific post and it will quote the poster you are replying to when you choose that option rather than just the regular thread reply.

As far as the black/red colorways...I agree with keeping the theme...but we should use full range of colors. It will really class up the site. Create a shadowy effect. I even like the use of gold in this picture. After all, MJ has 6 rings!

image001.jpg

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I would like a, "Go to first unread post" link to the left of each listed thread though. That would be nice.
They have this already..
click this 

Is this real
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I don't know if this was mentioned but I would like some sort of cache system.  Like a pick a couple favorite threads and add them to like a personal home page so i can always find them and don't have to just "pfl" to track them down in my profile.  That way i can view regular NT and then like my personal NT with threads i really like.

I also love the idea of the task bar so i could jump right to music or sports without going to the niketalk home screen first.

My favorite site would have to be Tumblr as of now, and if I could change Niketalk, all I'd do is try & make things more simplistic and find a way to incorporate endless scrolling.

get rid of tags. they just take up space and no one uses them properly.

A lot of members just browse one section of niketalk. I think in the place of tags you should put popular threads in other sections to better advertise other parts of this site.

I also think random Marketplace listings should be at the top of the page, or at least each section forum. You should be able to check through our posting/viewing history what size we constantly view and BAM random postings from that section should be at the top. I haven't bought shoes in forever but there are random things I keep an eye out for.

Im sure marketplace feedback has been said. But I guess we can use our yuku profiles comment section for that

Bring polls back: I know you think we'll just create a ton of dumb poll threads but after a while its novelty will wear off and the dumb polls will cease. Look at every other forum that has polls and it doesnt seem to be a problem there! Furthermore we could get a better consensus of our opinion as a whole instead of opinionated threads where only loud mouth members sway the entire thread, or derail it completely

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

Mods - Meth, Dirty...
What are the features you guys want the most? 

I have a few...However, this thread is for layout..not features

so not to derail the thread I'll put two...
1)notification if someone replies/quotes your comment - ala reddit.
2)for me and staff to be able to assign points to a user, so that staff could see the rating for that user and be aware to pay attention to that user's replies.

Jking0821 wrote:

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

They have this already..
click this 

Is this real 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

yes.. it's real.. try it with any thread from the main view

Method Man

Allow us member's or long time member's for a fee per post to edit & bump our buy and sell post's.

You can put the money back into the site or give it away.

real life...

keep it the same... the blk red makes it NT..

you should have upvotes and down votes ala reddit

just leave it how it is. if it were to change members would leave.

the other site made the change and lost so many members. that site is garbage now.

i hope we stay the same.

Originally Posted by PRIME

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

I like the look of the hypebeast.com front page and forums

And Meth Macristocracy has a dope setup. 
If we just "borrowed" those sites' layout and textual elements, I think NT would be in a much better and modern place. The rep system and whatnot can be implemented later (if at all) because it's not really relevant to the current discussion (layout, aesthetics, etc.). The boxes and generic letters and buttons that we have right now have kept this site easily functional but also archaic. A redesign to make NT look more like the two sites I quoted would maintain--possibly increase--ease of navigation, but also make it more pleasant on the eyes. Also, if we can use those sorts of layouts, mobile browsing may be better, too. Having an auto resize/maximum size for images to fit within the natural borders of the text space would help, too (allays the problem of super-wide text areas because one person Ninjahood'd a picture).
If we could get a way to make mobile browsing similar to the iPad's Twitter and Facebook apps... well... that would be amazing. NT's layout keeps me off of it when I'm on the go because it's hard to manage from anything besides my actual computer.

Originally Posted by Dimelo

I think niketalk is fine the way it is

Yep. The basic nature of Niketalk makes NT what it is. We don't need anything else cluttering up our smooth sailing basic loading screens. It is fine the way it is.

If you add any other skins, please allow us to keep this same Vintage NT skin for those of us that don't want to change.

Make it so, Number 1

The ability to see to post made in real-time would be great. It sucks having to refresh the page just to see the next post in whatever thread.

If NT were to consider a platform change, I think Huddler would be a great option.

Always wanted NT to move to VB, but it's nice having other options.

Originally Posted by Uptempo kid

Originally Posted by Dimelo

I think niketalk is fine the way it is

Yep. The basic nature of Niketalk makes NT what it is. We don't need anything else cluttering up our smooth sailing basic loading screens. It is fine the way it is.

If you add any other skins, please allow us to keep this same Vintage NT skin for those of us that don't want to change.

Make it so, Number 1
http://niketalk.com/reply...ns-layout#reply-12656179

Back
Top Bottom