California propositions thread: Props 1,2,3,8,9,11,12 Pass, Props 4,5,6,7,10 fail

by 2016 it won't even be an issue in a lot of states, the comment about the baby boomers holds a lot of truth

Here's a comment by one of my gay friends, who is my family, like a brother to me:
"I hope that my children are born into an America that fulfills the promise that you can be whoever you want as long as it DOESN'T AFFECT THELIBERTIES AND FREEDOMS OF OTHERS, AND IF YOUR WILLING TO PUT THE WORK IN. I honestly hope the no one has to experience thefeeling of being told by over 3 million people that you don't deserve the same rights they have."

Originally Posted by tupac003

43202678.jpg
The fact that people celebrated like this because of taking a group of people's civil rights away absolutely disgusts me.

"YES! GAY PEOPLE CAN'T GET MARRIED!"

Seriously?
smh.gif

^Seriously. It's absolutely disgusting. A lot of people coming out from this election. I still try to not make things awkward, because people arebrainwashed, but it's making see all the people who they REALLY are, both by crazy opinions and racist remarks. Even on this board, that supports hurtingsomeone's feelings (opposing their right to marry), when they don't hurt your feelings. It's absurd. Heartless by Kanye West is talkin aboutthose ppl "How could you be so heartless".. I wish I knew... or maybe not.

[h1]Lawsuit Challenges State Gay Marriage Ban[/h1]
POSTED: 9:40 am PST November 5, 2008

UPDATED: 12:22 pm PST November 5, 2008

[img]http://www.ktvu.com/sh/storytools/storytools_print.gif[/img][img]http://www.ktvu.com/sh/storytools/storytools_email.gif[/img]

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- At least one lawsuit was filed Wednesday, challenging the constitutionality of a ban on gay marriage that was passed hours earlier by California voters.The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and the National Center for Lesbian Rights filed a writ petition before the California Supreme Court urging the court to invalidate Proposition 8."If the voters approved an initiative that took the right to free speech away from women, but not from men, everyone would agree that such a measure conflicts with the basic ideals of equality enshrined in our constitution," said Jenny Pizer, a staff attorney with Lambda Legal, in a prepared statement. The passage of Proposition 8 in Tuesday's election represents a crushing political defeat for gay rights activists, who had hoped public opinion on the contentious issue had shifted enough since the state overwhelmingly passed an earlier gay marriage ban in 2000 to help them defeat the measure. "We pick ourselves up and trudge on," Kate Kendell, executive director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, said early Wednesday when it appeared the measure was headed for passage."There has been enormous movement in favor of full equality in eight short years. That is the direction this is heading, and if it's not today or it's not tomorrow, it will be soon." With almost all precincts reporting, election returns showed the measure winning with 52 percent. Some provisional and absentee ballots remained to be tallied, but based on trends and the locations of the votes still outstanding, the margin of support in favor of the initiative was secure. "People believe in the institution of marriage," Frank Schubert, co-manager of the Yes on 8 campaign said after declaring victory early Wednesday. "It's one institution that crosses ethnic divides, that crosses partisan divides. ... People have stood up because they care about marriage and they care a great deal." Proposition 8 overturns the California Supreme Court decision that overturned the 2000 ban and legalized same-sex marriage in the state in mid-June. Since then, an estimated 18,000 gay and lesbian couples, many of them from other states, have been married. The measure's passage represents a personal loss for couples who still hoped to wed, and casts a shadow of uncertainty on the legal unions of those who already have. Because the initiative holds that only marriage between a man and a woman is recognized in the state, legal experts have said it will have to be resolved in court whether existing gay marriages would be nullified.

Originally Posted by Da XpLiCiT OnE

[h1]Lawsuit Challenges State Gay Marriage Ban[/h1]
POSTED: 9:40 am PST November 5, 2008

UPDATED: 12:22 pm PST November 5, 2008

[img]http://www.ktvu.com/sh/storytools/storytools_print.gif[/img][img]http://www.ktvu.com/sh/storytools/storytools_email.gif[/img]

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- At least one lawsuit was filed Wednesday, challenging the constitutionality of a ban on gay marriage that was passed hours earlier by California voters.The American Civil Liberties Union, Lambda Legal and the National Center for Lesbian Rights filed a writ petition before the California Supreme Court urging the court to invalidate Proposition 8."If the voters approved an initiative that took the right to free speech away from women, but not from men, everyone would agree that such a measure conflicts with the basic ideals of equality enshrined in our constitution," said Jenny Pizer, a staff attorney with Lambda Legal, in a prepared statement. The passage of Proposition 8 in Tuesday's election represents a crushing political defeat for gay rights activists, who had hoped public opinion on the contentious issue had shifted enough since the state overwhelmingly passed an earlier gay marriage ban in 2000 to help them defeat the measure. "We pick ourselves up and trudge on," Kate Kendell, executive director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, said early Wednesday when it appeared the measure was headed for passage."There has been enormous movement in favor of full equality in eight short years. That is the direction this is heading, and if it's not today or it's not tomorrow, it will be soon." With almost all precincts reporting, election returns showed the measure winning with 52 percent. Some provisional and absentee ballots remained to be tallied, but based on trends and the locations of the votes still outstanding, the margin of support in favor of the initiative was secure. "People believe in the institution of marriage," Frank Schubert, co-manager of the Yes on 8 campaign said after declaring victory early Wednesday. "It's one institution that crosses ethnic divides, that crosses partisan divides. ... People have stood up because they care about marriage and they care a great deal." Proposition 8 overturns the California Supreme Court decision that overturned the 2000 ban and legalized same-sex marriage in the state in mid-June. Since then, an estimated 18,000 gay and lesbian couples, many of them from other states, have been married. The measure's passage represents a personal loss for couples who still hoped to wed, and casts a shadow of uncertainty on the legal unions of those who already have. Because the initiative holds that only marriage between a man and a woman is recognized in the state, legal experts have said it will have to be resolved in court whether existing gay marriages would be nullified.
I want to say no... not yet at least. from what i read this statute doesn't act retroactively (admittedly i'm not 100% certain though)but speaks only on future attempts to wed, not past ones. but if this becomes legislation then it'll be a lot easier to act on writing up a law thatspeaks directly on past unions.

Originally Posted by melomanDNVnuggets

So does this mean that gay people that have already gotten married now have that titlement takin away from them now????

no. if they are already married, they are married. i heard on the news there was like 90 gay marrages in sf or sac yesterday

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

The fact that people celebrated like this because of taking a group of people's civil rights away absolutely disgusts me.
Word...me too.

Originally Posted by xdc2b18c1x

So does this mean that gay people that have already gotten married now have that titlement takin away from them now????

no. if they are already married, they are married. i heard on the news there was like 90 gay marrages in sf or sac yesterday
oh ok, that would suck if the people that were already married got that taken away from them but either way it is stupid to ban it imo, just letpeople live their own lifes and let them do what they want

The California Attorney General, Jerry Brown, is also on record saying that they don't intend to invalidate already completed gay marriagesbased on the passage of Prop 8.

you think that we would learn from the past.
smh.gif
this is completely unconstitutional, but i have faith that justice will be served.

Originally Posted by Da XpLiCiT OnE

Here's a comment by one of my gay friends, who is my family, like a brother to me:
"I hope that my children are born into an America that fulfills the promise that you can be whoever you want as long as it DOESN'T AFFECT THE LIBERTIES AND FREEDOMS OF OTHERS, AND IF YOUR WILLING TO PUT THE WORK IN. I honestly hope the no one has to experience the feeling of being told by over 3 million people that you don't deserve the same rights they have."
Yes. I work with a girl who is a lesbian and, in talking to her this morning about Prop 8, I could just tell she was thinking the exact samething. Sad.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

The California Attorney General, Jerry Brown, is also on record saying that they don't intend to invalidate already completed gay marriages based on the passage of Prop 8.
ex post facto law i guess. but is this illegal?

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

Originally Posted by lawdog1

The California Attorney General, Jerry Brown, is also on record saying that they don't intend to invalidate already completed gay marriages based on the passage of Prop 8.
ex post facto law i guess. but is this illegal?
Most laws that pass need to state explicitly in the language if they are going to be applied retroactively. I don't think Prop 8 has suchlanguage, but again, that's going to be up to the Court to decide.

how ironic? people vote for "change" yet they say yes to prop 8. it is clearly discrimination. 100 years from now this will be in history books rightbehind women not having rights and blacks sitting at the back of the bus.

how ironic? people vote for "change" yet they say yes to prop 8. it is clearly discrimination. 100 years from now this will be in history books rightbehind women not having rights and blacks sitting at the back of the bus.

Originally Posted by SEVEN654THREE

how ironic? people vote for "change" yet they say yes to prop 8. it is clearly discrimination. 100 years from now this will be in history books right behind women not having rights and blacks sitting at the back of the bus.

2m2ib7d.gif

Originally Posted by SEVEN654THREE

how ironic? people vote for "change" yet they say yes to prop 8. it is clearly discrimination. 100 years from now this will be in history books right behind women not having rights and blacks sitting at the back of the bus.
oh0cpj.gif

O SNAPS GAY PEOPLE ARE GOING CRAZY IN LA

COPS IS BEATING GAYS UP SON... just one

JUST NOW

Hollywood and Highland

pimp.gif
to them fighting for their rights and stuff.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

JUST NOW
eek.gif
?
Watching the Clippers get beat by the Lakers and then they had breaking news.

Some dude hopping on a police car then some dude got beat by the popo
roll.gif

CRAZY

Originally Posted by RKO2004

JUST NOW
eek.gif
?
Watching the Clippers get beat by the Lakers and then they had breaking news.

Some dude hopping on a police car then some dude got beat by the popo
roll.gif

CRAZY
Wow thats wild. Its not even on the news here. Sheesh cats are wildin. I hope no one gets killed.
tired.gif
Hmmm I smell possible martial law.

Man they need to just wait and act civilized. This wont get them anywhere.

eek.gif
dude just said ++*+*#*! on FOX
smokin.gif
laugh.gif

WOWWW LAPD just declared a tactical alert, get that #@@! outta here

GIVE THESE PEOPLE THEIR RIGHTS!

Back
Top Bottom