Calipari to Kentucky.

[h1]Geoff Calkins: Tigers' Calipari to make decision this afternoon about Kentucky[/h1]
By Geoff Calkins (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Originally published 10:17 a.m., March 31, 2009
Updated 10:17 a.m., March 31, 2009

John Calipari told friends at a Memphis donut shop this morning he would make his decision about the Kentucky job "this afternoon."

And, yes, that is what this has come to: Tracking the man to a donut shop.

Calipari dropped by to see a collection of buddies at Gibson's Donuts at Mt. Moriah at 9:35 this morning.

Unbeknownst to him, The Commercial Appeal had a source -- we'll call him Deep Crueller -- at a nearby table.

Calipari stayed for exactly eight minutes. In that span, he said:

** In addition to Kentucky, Arizona came after him over the weekend offering not a salary but a blank check. Calipari said, "No thanks."

** He was in the Memphis Athletic Office Building yesterday but slipped out a side door.

** He loves Memphis but is drawn to the history and prestige of Kentucky. Calipari said it's one of five programs -- along with North Carolina, Duke, UCLA and Kansas -- any coach would have to consider.

Nobody actually came out and asked Calipari if he was leaving, but he said he hadn't made up his mind. He was going to drive around Memphis today and decide this afternoon.

If you're into reading tea leaves -- or coffee grounds, if you prefer -- Calipari did say two things that should have Memphis fans worried.

"Things will be OK here," he said.

And also: "Taking the job is the easy part of the decision. Leaving here is the hard part."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/31/tigers-coach-john-calipari-said-be-making-decision/

Arizona is top 5 in revenue and could if they REALLY wanted to pay Pitino or Calipari but I don't think they will compete with UK.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

- Along that note, the same person said that almost all of the details were finalized late Monday night. One of the major sticking points was the status of the outstanding scholarship offers for the players in the 2010 class and beyond. According to this source, Calipari said that "only one is anywhere close to a UK-level player".
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That shouldn't surprise anyone... Aside from Meeks and Patterson, that roster suuuucks... But if they let him dismiss kids as he sees fit and he brings acouple of his guys along with him, it'll turn around quick...
Arizona is top 5 in revenue and could if they REALLY wanted to pay Pitino or Calipari but I don't think they will compete with UK.
Just go get Reggie Theus...

Ewwwwww at the thought of Reggie Theus.

Arizona needs to do everything it can to steal Capel from Oklahoma...

Originally Posted by Uter Zorker

Ewwwwww at the thought of Reggie Theus.

Arizona needs to do everything it can to steal Capel from Oklahoma...

You're Buggin... Theus can coach and will be able to recruit due to his tenure as a former NCAA Coach, NBA Coach and NBA player... he will be able to sellkids on the fac that he can prepare them for success on each level. Would be a damn good move if Zona could pull it.

Leave Capel alone, I need him to become seasoned so he can take over when K leaves.

[h1]John Calipari Has Made His Decision[/h1]
Staff Writer

12:25 PM CDT, March 31, 2009

(Memphis 3/31/2009) News Channel 3 has learned from a source very close to the situation that U of M coach John Calipari is leaving to be the new coach at the University of Kentucky.

Right now, Calipari is at his home meeting with members of his staff explaining the decision.

We have live crews stationed in the area as well as working with our sister station in Lexington, KY.

http://www.wreg.com/wreg-calipari-decision,0,7710064.story

wildKYcat:
uh oh...lot's of rumblings...
That doesn't sound too encouraging.
embarassed.gif

Seems like Billy G all over again, where pretty much every UK fan was rolling out the red carpet for the new coach's arrival... only to be told to roll thered carpet back up because he's not coming.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

When/What time is he announcing. I would like to hear it from the horses mouth

you ain't the only one...i got to get away from the computer in about 45 minutes...

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

wildKYcat:
uh oh...lot's of rumblings...
That doesn't sound too encouraging.
embarassed.gif

Seems like Billy G all over again, where pretty much every UK fan was rolling out the red carpet for the new coach's arrival... only to be told to roll the red carpet back up because he's not coming.

laugh.gif

I honestly had no problem with Cal leaving. The thing I did have a problem with was him recruiting one of the best classes for next season and then messingthat all up because he wants to leave now.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Leave Capel alone, I need him to become seasoned so he can take over when K leaves.
Exactly.

Let Jeff run OU for the next 5-7 years, then it's time to come on home

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tmay407

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

i'm confused about this...you sure there are only 4 programs who've won at least one postseason tourney game 5 years in a row???
Pretty sure that's correct. UNC, Memphis, Louisville, Texas A&M, and I think there's one more. Georgetown would have been in there, but they lost to Baylor in the first round of the NIT this year. Those 4 teams plus Georgetown were the only teams in the nation that had 4 consecutive postseason tourney wins in a row as of last year...and they all won at least one game this year (except for Georgetown).

That's according to several articles I've read on AggieAthletics.com and a couple of other sites.

Florida next year
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Oklahoma is gonna do everything they can to keep Capel in Norman...
Stop trying to crush my dreams Dirk.

I'll settle for Johnny D or Capel though
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom