Calipari to Kentucky.

On the incentives, if a coach wins the title, does he get the incentive for the title + the incentive for the Final Four + the incentive for the Sweet 16, orjust the incentive for winning the title?

And on the 8 UK football tickets, how many basketball tickets does Rich Brooks get? Just curious.

^ Good thought, if i were coach and it wasnt stated clearly to me, id try for it all.....id say its just the $375,000 for winning it all though....

I heard Wall was visiting friday and a decision could come as soon as monday on catspause....u know the rumors on there though.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Wall needs to go to UK, F Duke, Baylor and NC State
co-sign.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
Good... Dude needs to take his papermill fake !+% HS diploma and hit the mid-major circuit...
smh.gif

^ don't worry about that. Cause even if he does, Cal will have someone on deck, that might be even better.

Ross-Miller's out, Tony Wroten JR in?
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

ESPN reported that Arizona is getting Tim FLoyd (watching halftime of game)

who is available for Memphis
grin.gif

Originally Posted by tmukg21

grin.gif
Capel.

and Bruce Pearl. There's some talk heating up about him coming to the other side of Tennessee. I would like him to exchange that orange cream blazer fora royal blue Tiger coat.
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by TrillipinoTrapstar

Originally Posted by tmukg21

grin.gif
Capel.

and Bruce Pearl. There's some talk heating up about him coming to the other side of Tennessee. I would like him to exchange that orange cream blazer for a royal blue Tiger coat.
laugh.gif
grin.gif
Turncoat
laugh.gif

Idk why any coach would take Memphis. It's really not that good of a job.

Got this off GOAZCATS...good insight.
Everyone who views the possible hire of Tim Floyd as an epic failure and evidence of how far our program has fallen needs to back up off the ledge. Look at the hires of other elite programs over the last 20 years and what those coaches had accomplished prior to their hiring.

Elite Jobs:

Kansas

1988- Hired Roy Williams who up to that point had never been a college head coach. He was an assistant coach at UNC when hired for the KU job.

2003- Hired Bill Self. His career before then:
4 years at Oral Roberts, 55-54 record, 1 NIT appearance, no NCAAs
3 years at Tulsa, 74-27 record, 2 NCAA appearances (2nd Rd; Elite
glasses.gif

3 years at Illinois, 78-24 record, 3 NCAA appearances (Elite 8 (ha ha); Sweet 16; 2nd Rd)- notice his NCAA success got progressively worse over time as his own players came into the program

North Carolina

1997- promoted Bill Guthridge to head coach

2000- Hired Matt Doherty, who in his only year as a head coach the year before at Notre Dame was 22-15 and went to the NIT. North Freakin Carolina was turned down by many coaches including alums Roy Williams and George Karl before hiring Doherty.

2003- Hired Roy Williams

Kentucky

1989- Hired Rick Pitino who was released by the New York Knicks. Kentucky was on probation at the time. Prior to being hired at Kentucky, Pitino had made one NCAA appearance- a Final Four run with Providence in 1987. His record in two years at Providence was 42-23 with the one NCAA and one NIT. Prior to Providence, he was head coach at Boston University for 5 years where he was 91-51 with 1 NCAA appearance.

1997- Hired Tubby Smith. His record before then:
4 years at Tulsa, 79-43 record, 2 NCAA appearances (both Sweet 16)
2 years at Georgia, 45-19, 2 NCAA appearances (Sweet 16, 1st Rd)

2007- Hired Billy Gillespie. His record before then:
2 years at UTEP, 30-32, 1 NCAA (1st Rd)
3 years at Texas A&M, 70-26, 2 NCAAs (2d Rd, Sweet 16)

UCLA

1988- Hired Jim Harrick. Prior to being hired at UCLA, he spent 9 years at Pepperdine, 167-97, 4 NCAA appearances

1996- Promoted Steve Lavin. Had never been a head coach before.

2003- Hired Ben Howland. His record:
5 years at NAU, 79-59, 2 NCAAs (both 1st Rd)
4 years at Pittsburgh, 89-40, 2 NCAAs (both Sweet 16)

Indiana

2000- Promoted Mike Davis. Had never been a head coach before.

2006- Hired Kelvin Sampson.
Inconsequential years at Montana Tech
7 years at Washington State, 103-103 record, 1 NCAA (1st Rd)
12 years at Oklahoma, 279-109, 11 NCAAs (once to Elite
glasses.gif

2008- Hired Tom Crean who in 9 years at Marquette was 190-96, 5 NCAAs (riding Dwayne Wade to 2003 Final Four, 3 1st Rd exits and one 2nd round)

Now, how many of those guys were "Win the Press Conference" type guys when they were hired. Roy Williams at UNC was one, but he was an alum there and had turned the job down before. Other than Roy, Sampson's record at Oklahoma is the most impressive before heading to Indiana, with Self having good albeit declining success in a short time at Illinois before going to Kansas. Tubby did fairly well in 2 years at Georgia before UK, but he was far from a smashing success as a Bulldog. Crean had good success before heading to a decimated Indiana squad. Howland was an up and coming coach. But would any of those guys have won the press conference under the expectations many Arizona fans had for this hire?

Excluding Roy Williams returning to his alma mater, notice that none of the coaches had a National Championship, and had a combined 2 Final Four appearances between them. That's in 14 hires by these storied programs. Calipari himself equals these numbers, proving he is the exception to the elite jobs hire, not the rule. Guys like Pitino and Izzo just don't leave good jobs, even to go to the elite.

Now look at Floyd:
2 years at Idaho, 35-25, 0 NCAAs
4 years at Iowa St, 81-47, 3 NCAAs (2d Rd, 2d Rd, Sweet 16)
4 years at USC, 85-50, 3 NCAAs (Sweet 16, 1st Rd, 2 Rd)

Stat wise, his numbers are on par with the coaches that these other elite schools have hired. There is no reason to view the hiring of Floyd as an indication of our basketball reputation.

Now Floyd wasn't my first choice. I would have preferred a Cal, Pitino or Izzo. But just because we couldn't secure these guys doesn't mean we are any less of a basketball school. Like I said, top guys just don't go from one good job to another very often.

Billy Clyde's gonna come back to the Big 12 whenever a job opens up

Or a Texas team for that matter

GJ decommited.. And did you all see Landon Slone and Scherbinkse or however the hell you spell his name get interviewed on Sportscenter
laugh.gif
making it seem like they actually have a chance to remain on the team.

Jdcurt...I just saw that about GJ.

Bob gibbons said Wall is leaning UK and he'll visit next week, not friday.

LOL...

u would also be playing with fire tho taken 3 players that are 1 and done LOCKS and seen how KY is winning no title next year it wouldnt pay off having themonly for 1 year

Wall
Meeks
Cousins
Pat
Orton
Hood
Miller
Pilgrim
Liggins
Stevenson
Harris
Harrelson
Galloway

Coach Cal...

I see no reason to believe that that roster and coach has zero chance of winning a title.

yea but any team can have reason to believe. Y'all are gonna be hyped up to no end next year, but everything still has to be done on the court. No hatecause I would love to see Cal win a chip at UK it's just that hype and potential can only take you so far.

Back
Top Bottom