Charlie Weis gone

As long as ND is still on national television every week and playing quality opponents, I don't think the incentives of joining a conference outweigh thecosts. The beef with ND's schedule is that the opponents who they traditionally play, outside of USC, are in down years. Look at a year like 2005, wherethey played the first, third, twentieth, and twenty-fifth ranked teams in the country. How is joining a conference where one or two other teams are rankedbetter than that? They wouldn't get to keep their television contract and any BCS money would be split with the rest of the conference. Not to mention theprestige that is lost. If anything, it's the school's academic standards that are making it difficult for them to compete, not their status as anindependent.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

As long as ND is still on national television every week and playing quality opponents, I don't think the incentives of joining a conference outweigh the costs. The beef with ND's schedule is that the opponents who they traditionally play, outside of USC, are in down years. Look at a year like 2005, where they played the first, third, twentieth, and twenty-fifth ranked teams in the country. How is joining a conference where one or two other teams are ranked better than that? They wouldn't get to keep their television contract and any BCS money would be split with the rest of the conference. Not to mention the prestige that is lost. If anything, it's the school's academic standards that are making it difficult for them to compete, not their status as an independent.
If they use that argument, which they do, then all of their sports that leech off of the Big East and receive the benefits can kick rocksespecially basketball. NBC will not renew that contract in 2015 if Notre Dame continues to be mediocre. Stop using academic standards as an excuse. Stanfordcan compete, Berkeley can compete, Duke had a decent season despite the academic rigors included with going to the that university.

The players voted against going to a bowl.

indifferent.gif

it's the school's academic standards that are making it difficult for them to compete, not their status as an independent.
Academics are not holding this team back from having the ability to beat Navy, Stanford, BC, MSU and Pitt.

ND has an elite QB and an eilte WR. I don't see why anyone wouldn't take that job.

please, we all know that is what you were referring to.

Yeah because I just said so, this is a message board homey I have no need gloss over what i really mean. Who knows why Ty was told to hit thebricks sooner than any ND coach, but I refuse to say it was race and race alone

And my point was not specific to Ty...college's are not exactly running to black coaches to fill their head coaching spots. ND does, fires him and is called out on that when other schools won't even let a black coach interview for a job.

So that makes it better? So they'll hire a black coach and give him less of a chance and that's progress...

Yes, Bob Davie and Charlie got 2 more years than Ty. Fair? No, probably not.

But they all sucked.

That we can agree on.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

As long as ND is still on national television every week and playing quality opponents, I don't think the incentives of joining a conference outweigh the costs. The beef with ND's schedule is that the opponents who they traditionally play, outside of USC, are in down years. Look at a year like 2005, where they played the first, third, twentieth, and twenty-fifth ranked teams in the country. How is joining a conference where one or two other teams are ranked better than that? They wouldn't get to keep their television contract and any BCS money would be split with the rest of the conference. Not to mention the prestige that is lost. If anything, it's the school's academic standards that are making it difficult for them to compete, not their status as an independent.
If they use that argument, which they do, then all of their sports that leech off of the Big East and receive the benefits can kick rocks especially basketball. NBC will not renew that contract in 2015 if Notre Dame continues to be mediocre. Stop using academic standards as an excuse. Stanford can compete, Berkeley can compete, Duke had a decent season despite the academic rigors included with going to the that university.
That's a ridiculous argument since there are a handful of teams that have football teams that don't play in the conference. Either way,it's not going to happen.

As far as academics go, those schools bend their standards more than ND is willing to. Stanford is an exception and deserves recognition for that, but we allknow how things went the last time a Stanford coach was hired at ND.

Academics are not holding this team back from having the ability to beat Navy, Stanford, BC, MSU and Pitt.
I agree. Those losses should not have happened and that falls on the coach. But that doesn't change the fact that academic standards heavilyimpact recruiting.

If they use that argument, which they do, then all of their sports that leech off of the Big East and receive the benefits can kick rocks especially basketball. NBC will not renew that contract in 2015 if Notre Dame continues to be mediocre. Stop using academic standards as an excuse. Stanford can compete, Berkeley can compete, Duke had a decent season despite the academic rigors included with going to the that university.
That's a ridiculous argument since there are a handful of teams that have football teams that don't play in the conference. Either way, it's not going to happen.

As far as academics go, those schools bend their standards more than ND is willing to. Stanford is an exception and deserves recognition for that, but we all know how things went the last time a Stanford coach was hired at ND.
In regards to the Big East, those football teams don't play in the conference because 1) those schools don't have a team to begin with or2) those schools have football teams that are not D1A.

Additionally, Notre Dame with Lou Holtz at the helm did not give a damn about academics. That's why they were winning. They bent the hell out of their"standards" when bowl games and championships were being won but when they lose "we have to remain true to the mission of the university and notcompromise the setting of academia for a win". Can't have it both ways.

Ianello is the interim

..I can't find anything substantial about the vote, but that's the rumor right now.

Even if it they just wanted the input of the team, why would the players vote no? what part of the game is that?
smh.gif

That's a ridiculous argument since there are a handful of teams that have football teams that don't play in the conference. Either way, it's not going to happen.

As far as academics go, those schools bend their standards more than ND is willing to. Stanford is an exception and deserves recognition for that, but we all know how things went the last time a Stanford coach was hired at ND.
In regards to the Big East, those football teams don't play in the conference because 1) those schools don't have a team to begin with or 2) those schools have football teams that are not D1A.

Additionally, Notre Dame with Lou Holtz at the helm did not give a damn about academics. That's why they were winning.
Exactly. So schools like Georgetown should move up to DIA or get expelled? What ND or Georgetown or Villanova do with their football programsshould have no bearing on their other programs.

And I agree with you on Lou Holtz but the reality is that the current administration does not allow players in with the same academic standards that Holtz wasrecruiting under.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

The players voted against going to a bowl.

indifferent.gif
roll.gif

this team has NO heart

thats disgusting. who wouldnt wanna play an extra game ...
and yall think Tate and Clausen gonna come back their senior year and play with these chumps
sick.gif

Bowl games = extra practice for next yr and visability for recruits.
Im sorry, u never turn down any kinda trip for a bowl

and yall think Tate and Clausen gonna come back their senior year and play with these chumps
ehh, my guess is those 2 have quite a bit of pull.

golden commented he wasn't sure if he wanted to go, Jimmy said he views it as a 'vacation'.

Yeah but next year is the last year of contracts without caps for rookies, everyones gunna leave this year

edit: I dont understand NOT Wanting to play in any bowl game...

smh.gif
@ not playing in a bowl, or turning down an invite.

The Seniors on that team were probably like:

2lntks8.jpg

A chance for more practice, more exposure and a chance to go out with a win. These fools turned it down
smh.gif

Tommy Tuberville schoolin em...

said " u cant just bring in the flavor of the month, the popular candidate thats hot, u gotta bring in a guy who can and has a history of recruitingnationally "

"recruiting is one thing, but getting a staff in there who can evaluate the talent is priority"

Tubby gotta get back on the sidelines

Back
Top Bottom