Cheap things you do vol. every dollar counts

Service industry margins are all f’ed up.

That’s why everywhere is switching to counter service, you got servers demanding health insurance and a livable wage, which they aren’t wrong about. But then if you got 7 of them on in a 100 seat restaurant it just isn’t sustainable with what you’d have to charge.

If I was to start a restaurant I’d do counter service and make everyone a cook/server and run with a tiny crew in order to provide benefits and pay. Every position needs to be essential. No hosts or support staff.

the food industry is notoriously messed up and backwards towards servers and waiters. in many states, customer tip is used to compensate for the low wages (which is oftentimes below the fed min wage). i'm generally hella frugal but if service is on point, i'll provide appropriate tip.

but the worst is when you order from a to-go spot that uses square for payment. they'll swing that tablet around and have the audacity to ask me to leave a 20% tip for just handing me my order
And then when you order online for pickup and don't tip, they are bragging on ticky tocks about intentionally messing up people's orders who don't tip.

Some cheap thing I did the other week.

I had to return my work laptop and they provided a prepaid FedEx label. When I got to Walgreens, the QR code didn't work for whatever reason. The clerk tried to print the label off my phone but the machine wasn't detecting it. Then he said if I upload the label to the website they can just print it out from there.
So after I uploaded, it took me to the cart page, which was 36 cents. I asked him if I'm supposed to pay, he said yea. After all that trouble I was like nah forget about it. I drove to an actual FedEx location so they could print it out for me.

Probably wasted more on gas but I wasn't tryna pay anything anyway since its work related.

Last edited:

I had to return my work laptop and they provided a prepaid FedEx label. When I got to Walgreens, the QR code didn't work for whatever reason. The clerk tried to print the label off my phone but the machine wasn't detecting it. Then he said if I upload the label to the website they can just print it out from there.
So after I uploaded, it took me to the cart page, which was 36 cents. I asked him if I'm supposed to pay, he said yea. After all that trouble I was like nah forget about it. I drove to an actual FedEx location so they could print it out for me.

Probably wasted more on gas but I wasn't tryna pay anything anyway since its work related.

Something is wrong with y'all man. You probably could have found the 36 cents on the street instead of doing all this nonsense.

when it comes to being cheap I think it boils down to principle at the end of the day and not necessarily convenience... I bought nba2k23 from bestbuy a couple days before black friday it was on sale for ps5 for 35.00 which I thought was a good deal so I bought it... I didnt open it thinking there might be a better deal...and on black friday it was on sale on amazon for 30.00... I asked bestbuy can they match amazon price and they said no they cant match any price until the tuesday after cyber monday and I already knew If I waited until then I would miss any sale including the amazon one... I was so heated I ordered from amazon and returned nba 2k23 to bestbuy even though its like 9 miles from the crib lmao

Last edited:
I’m keeping Christmas gift bags that my gf didn’t throw out after she received her gifts. No one’s name is written on the tag part so I’ll be reusing them for people’s gifts next Christmas.
My family also keeps and re-uses holiday gift bags. Probably a lot of people do. Would be wasteful to throw them out if they can be used again.

I am currently seeing a therapist and she is always available by phone call or even FaceTime if I need to talk to her without charging me extra. Instead of scheduling a session and paying for an appointment, I’ve just been relying on these calls and basically getting free virtual therapy sessions.

I am currently seeing a therapist and she is always available by phone call or even FaceTime if I need to talk to her without charging me extra. Instead of scheduling a session and paying for an appointment, I’ve just been relying on these calls and basically getting free virtual therapy sessions.
Did that for four months last year. Only did it because it was free. Hope it works out better for you than it did for me.

Back
Top Bottom