College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

^ i was talkin to some guys at the derby classic tonight, they was saying that its looking like hes not gonna be coming to UofL so take it for what its worth.

^^^^ Any new info on Juan Patilla???? wildkycat???? Im thinking big things next year, especially if we get him and Galloway, they are both very good players.

i don't know, but i heard Ater Majok was real nice and that Tyler Zeller was trash. this was the first time i've missed the Derby Classic in like atleast 10 years.

i think, you mean if we get him with Galloway, right? cuz Galloway has signed.

^ Yeah he impressed me, he hit a couple 3s too. Im pretty sure hes a lock for UConn though.

- Yeah i meant with galloway, hopefully patilla follows him.

Tyler Zeller didnt play too well, he got his shot blocked more than a few times.

April 16, 2008
[h1]Is Orton a target?[/h1]
Brian McLawhorn
Devils Illustrated Publisher

Talk about it in Devil Insider
After failing to land a true post presence in the 2008 recruiting class, Duke is in heavy need of help in the paint area and is hoping to fill the void in 2009. While they are certainly evaluating a handful of potential suitors, Blue Devil fans have often wondered why Mike Krzyzewski and his staff have not been targeting 6-foot-10, 260-pound five-star center Daniel Orton from Oklahoma City (Okla.) Bishop High.

[table][tr][td]
DANIELORTON_0124.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Daniel Orton has not been contacted by Duke for months.[/td] [/tr][/table]While only Coach K and his staff have the answers to that question, Devils Illustrated found out the answer to recent speculation that Orton had seen his stock rise with the Blue Devils.

As of Monday evening, Orton told Devils Illustrated that Duke was not involved in his recruitment and had not been for some time.

"I have talked to Duke, but it has been a while," Orton said. "It's been three or four months ago since I last heard from them. I spoke with Coach Wojo at the time but that's about it. I haven't heard from them at all. I haven't received letters or any type of mail from them."

A knock on Orton's game through much of the season was a slight weight problem and a lack of offensive ability in the post. Since that time, however, the junior has dropped 20 pounds and honed up his ability to score inside. He displayed his new and improved game last weekend at the Boo Williams Invitational, sparking Rivals.com's own Jerry Meyer to say "he has turned the corner from prospect to player."

Will reports of his performance at the Boo Williams Invitational spark the Blue Devils interest in Orton again? If it does, is it too late for Duke to get involved again?

Only Duke and Orton know the answers to those questions, but at this point in the game it may not matter either way. With several schools jumping out front for the talented big man it would appear that landing the junior would be a long shot should Duke choose to get back in the game.

That said, the Blue Devils may be better served focusing their attention on other prospects as they appear to be doing at the current time.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I've read about that foreign 6'8 kid yall got...

He says he thinks everything should be a dunk and doesn't shy away from anyone.

I don't know about his game really, but yall need some of that mentality.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

�Yeah. True. But he's barely bigger than Lance adn Kyle. I guess attitude is a prt of it though. It it definitely welcomed.
April 20, 2008
[h1]Real Deal: Champions crowned on Sunday[/h1]
Justin Young
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

Talk about it in Devil Insider
FAYETTEVILLE, ARK.- On a day of buzzer-beaters and great guard play, Team Breakdown relied on a steady leader once again in the semi-finals and a rising star in the championship game.

[table][tr][td]
635340.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kenny Boynton was named Real Deal MVP.[/td] [/tr][/table]BREAKDOWN BRINGS HOME 17U TITLE

Contrary to Team Breakdown's name, the Florida squad looked quite put together on Sunday. Led by the live the moment scoring of Kenny Boynton in the semi-finals and the clutch scoring from super sophomore Brandon Knight in the championship game, the Real Deal on the Hill title is headed back to Florida with Breakdown this year.

Led by 25 points from Knight, Breakdown beat the Illinois Warriors in overtime in the championship game of this year's loaded event.

Illinois Warriors used a balanced attack from it's rotation, as eight players scored eight or more points in the defeat. Illinois bound guard .J. Richardson had a strong Sunday. He scored 27 points in a win over the Atlanta Celtics in the semi-finals.

Boynton finished with nine points in the championship game but his real splash came against the New York Gauchos in the semi-finals.

With the score tied and the clock under ten seconds to play, Boynton did what he has been doing all weekend in Arkansas - he closed the door. The five-star guard reared back drilled a game winner as the time rolled off the clock.

Boynton finished with a team high 20 points in the win over the Gauchos and his shot was another signature moment. Chalk up the game as another door being closed. Boynton was named tournament MVP.

(Flight plans pushed Rivals.com out the door and we unfortunately couldn't catch the championship game.)

STAR POWER

Against the New York Gauchos, Glenn Bryantstepped up for Team Breakdown in the semi-finals. His offensive output was regulated to dunks and put backs and those were exciting. However, it was his rebounding on both ends of the floor that opened some eyes. He stepped up in the victory and did enough at the right times.

New York Gaucho wing Durand Scotthas to go home happy with how he played this weekend. He put together two monster games in the playoffs. Scott played with great strength and trademark Gaucho toughness.

Lance Stephensonshowed some pro moves in his team's win over the Nashville Celtics in the consolation bracket. He attacked the basket with his trademark flavor and picked his moments to do what he does best.

The Celtics didn't have anyone to body up with Karron Johnson, who did what he wanted to do in the victory. Like Stephenson, Johnson had his fair share of pro moments.

Still coming off a broken wrist injury, Jon Hooddidn't look like himself in our first viewing of play. On Sunday, he played more like the player that he is. Hood scored roughly 20 points in the first half of action against Raising Champions and did it with a variety of moves. His jumper hit a couple of times, he put the ball on the floor and attacked the rim and he showed nice offensive versatility.

THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT

The talent in the class of 2010 and beyond was one of the true gems of the entire weekend. Sunday's action allowed several young teams roll through Bud Walton Arena for the semi-finals and finals. We were able to see a number of top-notch talents during the final day of action.

Marquis Teague Teauge's older brother, Jeff, is a freshman at Wake Forest. Marquis has similar traits - athletic, can really score and a jet from end to end. He paced his team like an elite level point guard should. His play in two big games was outstanding.

Ryan Tayloris one of the several big men prospects at Indianapolis powerhouse Lawrence North High School. The big man pushed his way around inside the paint for Spiece and looks like a guy that will be evaluated by all levels. He can grow into his long arms and big feet, watch out.

After seeing Dai-Jon Parkerlast month at the Columbus Riverfest, we had an idea on how good he is and how good he will be. We didn't think he'd be this good this fast. Parker scored an impressive 27 points in a tough loss to the Spiece Gym Rats in the 15 and under semi-finals. Parker, a 6-foot-3 guard from Marietta (Ga.) High School, is a perimeter threat with big-time athleticism to boot. He's a high-major kid in the 2011 class.

Teammate Julian Royalreceived the most notoriety of any freshman in Georgia this season after a strong season at Milton (Ga.) High School. On Sunday morning, the 6-foot-7 forward went to work inside and out. He was good on the glass and stepped out to hit a couple of three-pointers.

Because he's only in eighth grade and because he'll be mentioned on this site at least one hundred times by the time he graduates high school, we'll be brief about one Tony Parker. But keep the 6-foot-8 forward on your mind for stars of the future from the class of 2012. The Georgia big man has a post game that some class of 2009 big men are striving for. Parker shined for the King James Shooting Stars South this weekend in the 14U division.

NOTES FROM THE NOTEPAD

• After a sizzling first two days of action, North Carolina bound forward John Henson struggled against the New York Gauchos. The five-star big man scored a quiet two points as his team was blown out by 30 points.
    pimp.gif
    pimp.gif
    pimp.gif
    (That what Dre like's to see. More of that when you arrive on campus please)
  • Darius Smithcame alive in the second half of the Illinois Warriors-Spiece Mo-Kan Players game. Smith scored 18 second half points for the Warriors and helped seal the victory. In fact, his play down the stretch sparked the team's run to the championship game. Smith said he has heard from Iowa, Indiana, Valpo, Wisconsin, Bradley (offer), Nebraska, Dayton and Illinois.

I need Cal to leave Memphis or for some recruiting violations to come down so Karron Johnson can make his way to the Hilltop
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

you can bet allen that next year cal could become your worst enemy if st johns does the right thing and offers him the job

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

you can bet allen that next year cal could become your worst enemy if st johns does the right thing and offers him the job

I wouldn't mind...I'd like it.
He can take the NY/NJ area for recruiting.

Plus I really want SJU to be good again, the Big East isn't the same without it.

As a seventh graders, Dallas native LeBryan Nash suited up with the Dallas Mustangs 17 and under team at the Real Deal three years ago. Now back with theMustangs 15 and under team, Nash is playing up in the 17 and under division this season with his talented teammates.

Nash, a powerfully built 6-foot-6 forward, didn't look like a timid rookie. In fact, he was one of the most impressive players on the night despite being aclass of 2011 prospect.

Nash, the talented class of 2011 forward for the Dallas Mustangs, said he is hearing from Georgetown, Memphis, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Syracuse,Stanford and Stephen F. Austin.

Yes, his name is really LeBryan Nash

Now all the coaching changes are pretty much done, NBA futures announced, All Star games over with.

This !$!% sucks
laugh.gif
frown.gif

I'm not sayin he or any kid in the near future is it..

But while, KD and Beasley have been dominant.

It's going to be real interesting when we have a transcendent player like LeBron come through High School and go to college for a year.

Its Olek Czyz your talking about, right?

That kid is from my city. He left for the US when he was about 14, cuz his father moved there. At that time he was a good prospect, but his knees were a mess.He grew pretty fast and was playing too much on concrete. You could see something was wrong even the way he walked, but during a game he wouldnt let it botherhim and was agressive as usual. He got them done when he moved to the States and they say its not a problem anymore.
Kid is as atheltic as a white boy can get. He comes regularly back home and Ive seen him do stuff like between the legs dunk off one step with street clothes.
The thing is Im not sure that Duke was really a good choice for him. They promissed him that he is going to be moved to the 3, but with all the holes you gotin the post I cant see it happening. He could be looking at good career in Europe and it would be really hard to see him get lost in the rotation or got stuckin the post, plus I think he might be closer to 6'7.

That kid is from my city. He left for the US when he was about 14, cuz his father moved there. At that time he was a good prospect, but his knees were a mess. He grew pretty fast and was playing too much on concrete. You could see something was wrong even the way he walked, but during a game he wouldnt let it bother him and was agressive as usual. He got them done when he moved to the States and they say its not a problem anymore.
Kid is as atheltic as a white boy can get. He comes regularly back home and Ive seen him do stuff like between the legs dunk off one step with street clothes.
The thing is Im not sure that Duke was really a good choice for him. They promissed him that he is going to be moved to the 3, but with all the holes you got in the post I cant see it happening. He could be looking at good career in Europe and it would be really hard to see him get lost in the rotation or got stuck in the post, plus I think he might be closer to 6'7.
Yea but Duke's 4 spot might as well be a winger as well so it's not like he's stuck on the blocks the entire time. If he plays withthat "I'm tryin' to bang on you everytime I get the rock" mentality then he's
pimp.gif
in my book. We need a lil' bit of that bite on the squad.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Originally Posted by DMONEY23444

^ Yeah he impressed me, he hit a couple 3s too. Im pretty sure hes a lock for UConn though.

- Yeah i meant with galloway, hopefully patilla follows him.
Pattillo commited to Oklahoma, with Willie Warren, they got a nice, deep recruiting class.

http://ouinsider.com/news/story.php?article=1309

Welp I didn't know there were UK fans on here I'm actually a undergrad at WKU

Highlight film of WKU in the NCAA TOURNEY. That I made the other day.

Now all the coaching changes are pretty much done, NBA futures announced, All Star games over with.

This !$!% sucks
laugh.gif
frown.gif
and next season is soooooooooooooo far away
smh.gif

I'd just like to say that Jordan Hill is going to dominate the Pac-10 next year. Who is going to be able to guard him?

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

with Travis Ford going to OK State, i was thinking about the Rick Pitino "coaching tree."

Tubby Smith
Billy Donovan
Herb Sendek
John Pelphrey
Travis Ford
Mick Cronin
Reggie Theus

and i feel like i'm forgetting someone.

latest rumor from UK: Derrick Jasper is going to transfer to a California school (where he's from.)

Cronin was Huggs boy first, please don't give Pitino credit for him
mad.gif

Does anyone else think that Lance Thomas is just wasting his potential at Duke. I feel like K has hampered his development as a player and he really should beplaying somewhere else right now, developing skills as a 3. Should've picked Rutgers IMO

Back
Top Bottom