COMING 2 AMERICA PART 2 IN THE WORKS

Coming 2 America's failings can be summed up by 2 words: Kenya Barris. They let a garbage writer pen this movie. You could tell they tried to make this movie like Blackish with all the lame jokes.

I thought it was an OK nostalgia trip. But I've said this before but IMO for movies like this (remakes, or sequels to classics) what kills it is this age of super high-def and everyone looking like either models or makeup mannequins. It's too Hollywood slick. The OG had grittiness, it was almost like it was shot on the fly low-budget at the time. Now these actors and sets are just too glossy and it makes a lot of us think the movie sucks then.

The other thing too I would advise for Eddie is what really made him in the day was his facial expressions, his goofy laugh and hilarious smile. Ever since Eddie got busted for his trans hooker I swear he started bein more serious and the goofy loud Eddie was gone. Obviously age factors in too.

Coming 2 America's failings can be summed up by 2 words: Kenya Barris. They let a garbage writer pen this movie. You could tell they tried to make this movie like Blackish with all the lame jokes.

now that you say that, it makes sense

cause least with his BS shows, that feels more like the joke is on a subset of black people that he’s a part of.. a world he knows

The first movie you had literal kings and queens that were respected and acted dignified, for the most part.. and the joke was Americans are so ignorant they’re making stereotypical African jokes in the presence of literal royalty.. the greedy dad doesn’t realize the bigger prize

of the parts I watched, this just felt like it was going for the cheap laugh at any expense while skipping over the celebration aspect of black kings and queens.. the first I would say could inspire black panther, this garbage I wouldn’t even suggest in that realm

I disagree.. I think the same sort of excuses are used when terrible Batman or Superman movies fail

theyre just bad movies.. just because MCU makes better movies and succeeds and then other movies fail, doesn’t mean there is super hero fatigue

i think the OG film could still happen today with some tweaks.. because at the end of the day that film is making fun of the ignorance Americans have for the rest of the world, which still exist.. but they would have to adjust the whole light skin vs dark skin sisters thing

I mean the recent borat movie was hilarious.. or on a smaller scale, Palm Springs was hilarious which was just another take on Groundhog Day

They would have to adjust a lot more than that. Have you watched it recently?

One thing this did was they spent way too much time explaining the patriarchy society of Zamunda and trying to right every wrong and criticism from the original. That's all the daughters seemed there for, to the point they didn't develop them.

For example they had to include Leslie Jones in the royal bathing for it to be equal.

I think if this movie came three years ago for the 30th it would have been different. Different world and they weren't taking the risk for a PG-13 "family" movie.

I thought it was great for what it is.

A comedy.

A comedy staring some of the most talented and successful human beings we will ever see in our lifetimes reprising roles that have become a part of Black American culture.

Everyone is a GD critic. SMH.

Cant be happy and enjoy **** w/o complaining.

Comparing this to a Tyler Perry movie? Word???

Its funny cuz 2 white guys wrote Coming to America.

Barris wasn't the right guy for this sequel.

Its funny cuz 2 white guys wrote Coming to America.

What two white guys?

Eddie Murphy wrote Coming to America (the story) and came up with the characters.

Scheffield and Blaustien were the original screenwriters but its Murphy that wrote the story.

Screenwriters write and develop screenplays for film or TV drama. They do this either based on an original idea, by adapting an existing story into a screenplay or by joining an existing project (TV).

Last edited:
They would have to adjust a lot more than that. Have you watched it recently?

One thing this did was they spent way too much time explaining the patriarchy society of Zamunda and trying to right every wrong and criticism from the original. That's all the daughters seemed there for, to the point they didn't develop them.

For example they had to include Leslie Jones in the royal bathing for it to be equal.

I think if this movie came three years ago for the 30th it would have been different. Different world and they weren't taking the risk for a PG-13 "family" movie.

i mean I think this movie is makeable

just with smarter/funnier people

essentially you’re doing what black panther did when they brought the white guy to wakanda and he was shocked as hell

and then you legit deal with those aspects of male vs female heir.. just like the first film dealt with the prince marrying for love instead of an arrange marriage and having a wife that’s a glorified servant

but I don’t see why they even felt the need to have that scene for Leslie Jones other than cheap laughs.. she’s not a member of the royal family

Best example I got for this

first one felt similar to the first 3 seasons of boondocks

this felt like season 4

What two white guys?

Eddie Murphy wrote Coming to America.
They got two white guys credited for the screenplay.

David Sheffield
Barry W. Blaustein

But if Eddie wrote it all by himself its even worse that he didn't simply write the sequel.
Barris isn't the right guy for any project. His writing is very formulaic and lazy
I don't think he's a terrible writer or creator. I like his popular projects for what they are

Black-ish
Grown-ish
Mixed-ish
Black AF

Granted all of those are similar and 3 are formulaic. I also liked Girls Trip.

They got two white guys credited for the screenplay.

David Sheffield
Barry W. Blaustein

But if Eddie wrote it all by himself its even worse that he didn't simply write the sequel.

Yeah they were the screenwriters - that's different that writing the story itself...in all honesty Murphy and Hall improvised most of it anyway.

"As Ndounou points out, these scenes weren’t written in depth in the script and were heavily improvised, a nod to both Murphy and Hall’s experience as stand-up comics. There was an ethnic familiarity and authenticity in these scenes where the barbers persuade Akeem not to get a Jheri curl and at the pageant, where the soul band Sexual Chocolate sings “The Greatest Love of All.”

Yeah they were the screenwriters - that's different that writing the story itself...in all honesty Murphy and Hall improvised most of it anyway.

"As Ndounou points out, these scenes weren’t written in depth in the script and were heavily improvised, a nod to both Murphy and Hall’s experience as stand-up comics. There was an ethnic familiarity and authenticity in these scenes where the barbers persuade Akeem not to get a Jheri curl and at the pageant, where the soul band Sexual Chocolate sings “The Greatest Love of All.”

I was just replying to the post that was putting the blame for the movie being bad on Kenya Barris well known black writer/creator/exec.

Just contrasting that two white guy apparently wrote the original.

If we talking about improvising which Arsenio and Eddie are great at I again gotta say why they didn't do it again here with the sequel.

Last edited:
I was just replying to the post that was putting the blame for the movie being bad on Kenya Barris well known black writer/creator/exec.

Just contrasting that two white guy apparently wrote the original.

If we talking about improvising which Arsenio and Eddie are great at I again gotta say why they didn't do it again here with the sequel.

Same white dudes were on this one too along with Barris.

You're right though - I don't think the purpose was to make the original movie again, but to make a different movie for a different time.

No Way could Murphy and Hall do what they did in the 80's and get away with it...

Not these days.

Even the original had TONS of critics both white and black...

Funny that the white dude's only complaint was the screenplay...which was written by other white dudes :lol:

Last edited:
Same white dudes were on this one too along with Barris.

You're right though - I don't think the purpose was to make the original movie again, but to make a different movie for a different time.

No Way could Murphy and Hall do what they did in the 80's and get away with it...

Not these days.
The writing process and several script drafts is very involved not to mention on set revisions and improv but I just took a look for the sequel and while it's Barris, Blaustein, and Sheffield credited for the screenplay it's Sheffield, Blaustein, and a guy named Justin Kane's credited for the story of the sequel.

I'd assume those three crafted the general story and framework of the sequel given two of the guys know the world pretty well.

I'd guess Barris was brought in to handle the dialogue of the movie.

And yeah obviously they weren't going in to this just trying to remake the original but I'm pretty sure they wanted it to be funny.

Guess I'll still have to wait for a funny entertainer to just ignore and say **** the current climate and make the funny movie they want to make.

I wish Dave Chappelle cared to make movies if his recent standup is a reflection about how much he cares about if he gets away with a joke or not.

But like I said about this movie elsewhere it kinda just seemed Eddie wanted to make a movie with a lot of his friends again and he did.

To me they f’d up just not directly dealing with how things have changed form the OG film to now

address the patriarchal society in zamunda

maybe have the American wife and her daughters leave because akeem isn’t dealing with things well.. and the grandfather is being overly traditionally and again trying to set up an arranged marriage

then that triggers akeem going back to New York to bring his family home.. and then you deal with the gentrification and how it’s affecting those aspects of New York he once experienced

or maybe his daughters are being educated in the US and wanting to change things in the very traditional zamunda.. and akeem now being in his father‘s shoes realizes he too must adjust

The writing process and several script drafts is very involved not to mention on set revisions and improv but I just took a look for the sequel and while it's Barris, Blaustein, and Sheffield credited for the screenplay it's Sheffield, Blaustein, and a guy named Justin Kane's credited for the story of the sequel.

I'd assume those three crafted the general story and framework of the sequel given two of the guys know the world pretty well.

I'd guess Barris was brought in to handle the dialogue of the movie.

And yeah obviously they weren't going in to this just trying to remake the original but I'm pretty sure they wanted it to be funny.

Guess I'll still have to wait for a funny entertainer to just ignore and say **** the current climate and make the funny movie they want to make.

I wish Dave Chappelle cared to make movies if his recent standup is a reflection about how much he cares about if he gets away with a joke or not.

But like I said about this movie elsewhere it kinda just seemed Eddie wanted to make a movie with a lot of his friends again and he did.

Yeah Chappelle aint no dummy.

"They've" already tried cancelling him for his comedy.

Imagine what "they'd" do to a Chappelle movie.

I don't even think Chappelle could get away with his TV show these days.

Sad state of affairs.

Maybe we should come up with a NF rating.

This movie has been rated NF.

No Feelings.

Yeah Chappelle aint no dummy.

"They've" already tried cancelling him for his comedy.

Imagine what "they'd" do to a Chappelle movie.

I don't even think Chappelle could get away with his TV show these days.

Sad state of affairs.

Maybe we should come up with a NF rating.

This movie has been rated NF.

No Feelings.
Dave doesn't do movies cuz he thinks he sucks at them not cuz of ppl getting cancelled.

They've tried to cancel him for his comedy and he KEEPS doing it. He cant be cancelled for it from what I'm seeing.

Its just similar to Eddie, Dave is in a place where he doesn't have to make anything new anymore. He's making money off old **** so there's no incentive.

Dave gets in trouble for his recent standup material

not his old shhh, I mean his stuff with chip gets referenced all the time

and it was him who came to the realization with his show.. when he saw who exactly was laughing at it and who was constantly quoting it, it caused him to reevaluate

and he realized it was people laughing at him and not with him.. he opened the doors to let people in and realized who exactly came in

chapelle is obviously still funny as hell.. and would be without the trans jokes, so zero clue why he continues with em

Dave doesn't do movies cuz he thinks he sucks at them not cuz of ppl getting cancelled.

They've tried to cancel him for his comedy and he KEEPS doing it. He cant be cancelled for it from what I'm seeing.

Its just similar to Eddie, Dave is in a place where he doesn't have to make anything new anymore. He's making money off old **** so there's no incentive.

Anyone can be cancelled.

Ex: Let Chappelle say one thing about Jews...just one, and its back to Africa for Dave.

ADL aint no joke.

These days you dont even really have to do anything at all TBH...

Last edited:
Anyone can be cancelled.

Ex: Let Chappelle say one thing about Jews...just one, and its back to Africa for Dave.
Nope.

Won't happen.

Whatever Dave would say about Jews would be so funny and truthful he'd be fine.

Other ppl they try to cancel and it ain't work either.

:lol: @ saying anyone can be cancelled and then posting vids of Griffy another dude doing it right and not being cancelled for his wild vids.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom