Danny Brown revokes Big Sean "Detroit niche"

Sounds to me like everyone in Detroit needs to leave Detroit.

Cause y'all aint gonna make it with the prevalent way of looking at things.

They're both equally lame.

However, neither of them represent the average person from the city, not how they talk, their appearance or what they rap about.

And for Danny Brown's weird *** to attempt to call out Sean is hilarious. Maybe if Doughboyz Cashout said something like this, it'd have some validity (even if it's a stupid argument), but not this dude.

Edit: Wale has no place in this argument. DC's beef with Wale is the fact he refused to acknolwedge he spent most of his time in the farrr out burbs (Gaithersburg). That's like Big Sean spending majority of his life in West Bloomfield or Novi, but then trying to pull the I'm from Detroit card.
Thats where 80% of his fan base is tho, dudes in the city stopped messing wit sean after his album dropped. When he traded his buffies for skinny leather pants/vest. We appreciate the love and him trynna put the city on and personally I'm proud of him but I dont listen to his music. Yall wanna hear erhard hot in the d right now go download icewear vezzo- the clarity 2

That Icewear Vezzo cat is weak.  Music sounds like every other starving artists in every hood.

Dusty Mcfly was cool, but he looks like a lighter Big Sean.  Son would end up dressing like him with the same type of money.

I **** with Boldy James though.

Sean also got a song with doughboyz on his new album.

Don't understand why your city would hate you because you lack that street 1 way to view the world mentality

Yall dudes just dont get it. The city doesn't hate big sean, they jus dont look at him as a representation of detroit. What if e 40 our nobody from the bay popped off until the pack/lil b? The way people like me would view the bay is in a real kreayshean/based kinda way. I seen a retweet on twitter where a dude said how is detroit this big scary place when dudes like big sean come from there. Nobody hates dude tho jus don't look at him like a detroit artist and feel that many before him deserved the shot but thats no knock on his grind cuz those ff tapes were straight

thats the thing though, HE SHOULD be representative of the city, young black success story, not the hood doughboy who hate on each other , but hey people love misery and not achieving the most they can
View media item 533329

exactly. its hilarious we got dudes talking about where he went to high school to discredit him...i dont even like big sean like that anymore but this is terrible :smh:

apparently you gotta be piss poor and hood to get respect. god forbid you come from a decent home :rolleyes

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhhhh I get it even though he shouts out Detroit in EVERY interview and song and named his last mixtape DETROIT,but he doesn't dress like you guys/has a different appearance so he really doesn't rep Detroit [emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji] :smh:

Last edited:
I think you are saying he is not a representation of Detroit not he doesn't rep Detroit which is not what Danny Brown was saying.

Never heard Mula, but I did think Guap was very catchy and should have blown up. I guess it really did come out at the wrong time like somebody said. And agree about "Clique" too, that was a huge single that could've easily benefitted him instead of being used on the compilation. That could've dropped on the way to HOF being released, and I don't know, maybe a remix could have been put on there (since obviously Jay & Kanye wouldn't perform with him a bunch).

This is
nthat.gif
but not really different from anything Sean would drop.

Ask any ***** from the d who the goat rapper from here I doubt u here eminem, U gon hear blade icewood (rip). Eminem isn't even from detroit, got every suburban white dude thinking 8 mile is the hood. Dudes here stopped listening to em when I was like 13. Street lordz is a example of the detroit sound. Icewear vezzo, doughboyz, team eastside, dusty mcfly, k deezy, streetlord juan etc
What about Dilla, Slum Village, Black Milk, etc? Are they not part of the Detroit sound? Because their music doesn't sound anything like the rappers you named, yet I've heard Detroit artists refer to them as inspirations.

Black Milk, Dilla, and Slum Village are the very definition of Detroit. When you hear them, you know exactly where they're from.

I moved to Michigan 3 years ago. What exactly is the "Detroit" sound? (Serious question) Is there a specific sound? or is there a variety? Is Dilla less of a Detroit sound than the doughboz? Is Sean less than Danny Brown?

I ask this because being form Cali. I used to hear this all the time. The West Coast "Sound" wasn't allowed to have more than one form for the a long time. Only people who got shine were people who mimicked the Dre , G Funk era type of music. Eventually that view changed and groups and artists with different sounds were able to break thru such as Dom Kennedy, Pac Div, etc while a new age Gangsta rappers were able to come in like Game and Nipssey Hussle.
What about Dilla, Slum Village, Black Milk, etc? Are they not part of the Detroit sound? Because their music doesn't sound anything like the rappers you named, yet I've heard Detroit artists refer to them as inspirations
Black Milk, Dilla, and Slum Village are the very definition of Detroit. When you hear them, you know exactly where they're from.
I asked this same question earlier. Why does a city or region have to have one sound? 

They don't have to have one sound, as Slum Village, Black Milk, Royce Da 5'9", nor King Gordy sound alike. But they all do seem to have something that unifies them (I'm gonna say it's the culture of each city). I just think gradually as hip hop/rap has reached a near apex, everything has become so deluded and over exposed that it takes away from what makes (or what made) regions unique. If you were to throw a bunch of current rappers names in a hat and pull them out, you wouldn't know where they were from unless you went to wikipedia. Too many of them seem to be missing the soul and the culture of their city. Basically a bunch of rapping bodies.

Ohhhhhhhhh I get it even though he shouts out Detroit in EVERY interview and song and named his last mixtape DETROIT,but he doesn't dress like you guys/has a different appearance so he really doesn't rep Detroit [emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji][emoji]128529[/emoji] :smh:

I guess he isn't bankrupt enough

I just saw a Danny interview at his hotel in Barcelona, he definitely isnt in the hood everyday.

Last edited:
They don't have to have one sound, as Slum Village, Black Milk, Royce Da 5'9", nor King Gordy sound alike. But they all do seem to have something that unifies them (I'm gonna say it's the culture of each city). I just think gradually as hip hop/rap has reached a near apex, everything has become so deluded and over exposed that it takes away from what makes (or what made) regions unique. If you were to throw a bunch of current rappers names in a hat and pull them out, you wouldn't know where they were from unless you went to wikipedia. Too many of them seem to be missing the soul and the culture of their city. Basically a bunch of rapping bodies.
Agreed.

The "Dilla"-inspired sound from the late 90s-early 2000s is actually unique to Detroit and I've heard a lot of artists say that's the sound you recognize when you think of the D. The offbeat drums, soul samples, etc.. Slum Village, Frank N Dank, Phat Kat, Black Milk, Proof etc all kinda took after that

Yet dude up there named a bunch of rappers who just sound like typical Southern rappers talking about "Nah this is the REAL Detroit sound".. I bet dudes like T3, Proof (rip), even Em would take offense to that and they've been doing their thing way longer than these new cookie cutter rappers.

What it sounds like to me is the same exact thing happening here in the DMV, specifically DC. Dudes in the hood think they're too hard to listen to anything other than trap music. :lol:
They just latch on to artists making a certain type of music (Fat Trel, Shy Glizzy etc who are exact clones of the Chicago rappers) and say "REAL n's in DC mess with this right here" so they don't seem soft

I don't care where Big Sean is from or where he spends his time---he's pretty ******g wack regardless.

I'm not from Detroit but I'm from MI, and all the hardcore MI hip-hop supporters I know don't even mess with Big Sean like that. And these dudes looooooooove some Michigan artists. Knowing them and being where I'm from, that speaks volumes to how Sean is perceived.

I'm not from Detroit, but from Michigan. I'm a fan of both Danny Brown and Big Sean, but I never started listening to them because they are from Michigan, I just enjoy the music they make, nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Big Sean more popular than DB with the hipster crowd?
I_Don't_Think_So_Tim.wav
what the **** is a hipster anyway?
I seriously picture DB saying this and then saying some off the wall **** right after.

thats the thing though, HE SHOULD be representative of the city, young black success story, not the hood doughboy who hate on each other , but hey people love misery and not achieving the most they can
View media item 533329

No he shouldnt. Its like yall looking at what im saying but not comprehending it how you want. I said I was proud of Big Sean, happy for his success, and he puts on for the city...where am I or anybody else hating? I said I dont blame him for not rapping with the typical D sound. All I said is he is not a representation of Detroit period. I was out downtown last night (you know, living while most of yall were living online), nobody looked like Big Sean. Nobody talked like Big Sean. Nobody was playing Big Sean. Meanwhile, ppl looked like DBCO, ppl talked like dbco, and ppl were playing dbco. Same for Vezzo. Same for Jeezy, Same for Gucci. They are more "Detroit" than Sean. Sean has a Cali swag, and thats cool. He is making it work so more power to him, but he does not represent that Detroit culture one bit.

Back
Top Bottom