Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
I don't think Dave has some detailed knowledge of internecine battles within feminism

from what I can tell he totally mischaracterizes the TERF vs Trans activist conflict.

but i think it's okay, he's not a college professor,
accuracy will always take a back seat to the jokes.
And I think it is OK for to point out that term implies something different than what Dave thinks it does

I really didn't even make criticism of Dave beyond pointing out what a word means

If someone said they supported anti-discrimination housing policy, but wanted to point out that people of certain races generally have a preference for choosing to live near one another and get utility from that, in the context of talking about housing laws, framing that take even sarcastically as being "team segregation" contradicts my other stated views.

it does?

maybe im crazy, I definitely don't see that statement as contradictory.
especially in the context of a comedy special.

it's like in N-words vs Black people, chris rock remarks "he should join the KKK".
I don't think it contradicts his other pro black statements.

it's a joke about intersection of race and class within minority community.
not an anti black joke.

I look at Dave's TERF bit similarly, it's obviously not as sharp

it's a joke about inter group conflicts.
and not a anti trans joke imo

it does?

Dave thinks trans women should be able to use the ladies bathroom

TERF are trans-exclusionary, they want them barred from them

Being a TERF means you want trans women excluded from spaces traditionally for cis-gendered women

Dave doesn't support that

In the 1960s and 1970s economists from the Chicago School wrote tons of papers and gave lectures about the racial group, and how it would be a natural phenomenon that would happen even with anti-discrimination laws. They also proclaimed they were not segregationists because segregationists of the time were people like George Wallace. (The true segregationist of their time still used their work to defend Jim Crow :lol: , funny how that works )

Because I dunno, maybe they knew that they believed in two different things, were making two different points, so calling themselves something that implies one things when they believed another group of things presented a contradiction

Yeah, maybe Dave was sloppy with his word choice, ok. But it is still fair game to point out was that sloppiness implied, and that was I was doing to another poster

This just reads like you think I am not being charitable to Dave, so there is an issue.

Last edited:
it does?

You've just completely bought into the logic that comedy absolves from social backlash.

Which is very helpful to those who use the pretense of "jokes" to harm others.

It's kind of disingenuous to act like words or actions lose meaning because someone uses them to draw laughs.

1635345956623.png

I was going to use the Kramer controversy as an example, but I might upset some people here.

it's like in N-words vs Black people, chris rock remarks "he should join the KKK".

not an anti black joke.

not exactly sure what you’re going for.. but let me use a very obvious example and you can tell me if it’s the point you’re getting at

RDJ in blackface in tropic thunder

the joke isn’t meant to be directly insulting to black people

the joke is the stupidity of some actors and how far they are willing to go in spite of the clearly disrespectful act of essential wearing the costume of a black person

obviously it’s still disrespectful and insulting, but the character believes he’s actually above that.. and given how far we hear some actors go for roles, it’s not that much of a stretch to think some actor out their might view themself like that character does

not an anti black joke.

I was responding to a post by Master Zik Master Zik

Zik described Dave views on trans people and what he thinks Dave means when he called himself a TERF.

All I was pointing out was that if that Dave's stance on being a TERF, TERFs believe something different than that

It was not a general take on Dave's position. It was in response to Zik's post. And Zik already responded

Last edited:
I thought the anti trans or transphobic sentiment was the topic of the last 46757755785 pages. I think Rusty just flexing the ol debate team muscles.

You've just completely bought into the logic that comedy absolves from social backlash.

Which is very helpful to those who use the pretense of "jokes" to harm others.

nothing absolves anyone from any social backlash, as i have repeated a million times, It is your right to be offended.
my point is i do not have to agree.

It's kind of disingenuous to act like words or actions lose meaning because someone uses them to draw laughs.

the meaning changes based on the context. black people saying the N-word in the context of a rap song is different than a white person saying it in some other context.
the word is the same, the meaning is different based on the context.

Ta-Nehasi Coates has a good bit on this.

I thought the anti trans or transphobic sentiment was the topic of the last 46757755785 pages. I think Rusty just flexing the ol debate team muscles.
In this recent exchange, I wrote three sentences in regards to something a poster said. That poster responded to my post, I repped his response, and that was it

I go to bed, and more dudes think I slighted Dave, so they have an issue. And quoted what I said to take issue.

Regarding the previous other pages, I don't know why dudes got an issue with long-form responses. :lol: Starting to think whenever y'all encounter a paragraph in life you guys be like...
critical-role-crit-role.gif

not exactly sure what you’re going for.. but let me use a very obvious example and you can tell me if it’s the point you’re getting at

RDJ in blackface in tropic thunder

the joke isn’t meant to be directly insulting to black people

the joke is the stupidity of some actors and how far they are willing to go in spite of the clearly disrespectful act of essential wearing the costume of a black person

obviously it’s still disrespectful and insulting, but the character believes he’s actually above that.. and given how far we hear some actors go for roles, it’s not that much of a stretch to think some actor out their might view themself like that character does

the point is the use of offensive imagery of language does not instantly make the joke racist, or transphobic or whatever.

if you can't tolerate any use of blackface, and you are offended, that is fine and you're right
and I can think it's hilarious bit on the arrogance and absurdity of movie stars and actors.

minds can differ, we can draw the line in different places without escalating our personal offense to some kind of cosmic harm.

So to be clear...

We are to make absolutely no distinctions at all between women and a transgender women because any distinctions at all are offensive to transgender women?

If that's the case then black folks should Sammy Sosa themselves and become transracial to end racism.

sammy-sosa.jpg

Problem solved right?

the point is the use of offensive imagery of language does not instantly make the joke racist, or transphobic or whatever.

if you can't tolerate any use of blackface, and you are offended, that is fine and you're right
and I can think it's hilarious bit on the arrogance and absurdity of movie stars and actors.

minds can differ, we can draw the line in different places without escalating our personal offense to some kind of cosmic harm.

tropic thunder actually deals with this point, the deeper you look at it

the blackface and the portrayal of a person with a disability aren’t done well in the film at different points and it’s a constant topic of conversation amongst different characters

but the prestige actor is given more of a benefit of the doubt, because he has a history of being a top tier actor.. whereas the action guy tried to actually act

neither should have happened, but those things happen in Hollywood and their are actors who think they can pull it off

but we as a society are willing to have faith in the actor with a great reputation.. like if we hear Daniel day-Lewis is doing something, we expect it to be extremely well acted, at the least

but the argument could be made that we are putting a lot of faith in chappelle and assuming he actually gets it and empathizes with people in different shoes than him

So to be clear...

We are to make absolutely no distinctions at all between women and a transgender women because any distinctions at all are offensive to transgender women?

If that's the case then black folks should Sammy Sosa themselves and become transracial to end racism.

sammy-sosa.jpg

Problem solved right?
Who is making this argument in here though?

So to be clear...

sammy-sosa.jpg

Problem solved right?

Dominicans and certain others need to actually accept that they are black

i am neither African and/or American.. my nationality is Bahamian.. I am black

“Accept” is a strong word around these parts…

my issue is, either accept that your black or dont define yourself as ‘dominican’ and think you can throw around the N word

you can be both, there are black Dominicans

Pages and pages about how Dave Chappelle was wrong for saying what he said.

Yet now its "Who said that?"

Word?
strawman.png

Pull up a quote where someone said you cannot make any distinctions at all between biological women and transgender women.

Until then, you're exaggerating the position of others to the extreme in order to make the position seem less reasonable.

strawman.png

Pull up a quote where someone said you cannot make any distinctions at all between biological women and transgender women.

Until then, you're exaggerating the position of others to the extreme in order to make the position seem less reasonable.

Simply asking a question to find out where the beef is.

Ex:

What is the problem with what Dave actually said?

This whole thing is an ad hominem logical fallacy IMHO.

6132eb8f581b4ce00f8bdd206b9950f67012e13756954e19b38a2671c131c3c7_1.jpg

I'm just pointing to it :lol:

"Pull up a quote where someone said you cannot make any distinctions at all between biological women and transgender women."

"Until then, you're exaggerating the position of others to the extreme in order to make the position seem less reasonable. "

Beet Juice.

Beyond Meat.

Woman of the Year.

Only women can get pregnant and have kids.

=

Hate Speech & Violence!!!

- Are there any differences between transsexual women and women?

That's not the point! Cancel him!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom