Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Remember when Dave asked his fans to boycott his show in order to pressure Viacom to address his issues with the royalties he should have been paid out? And it worked so he could get the millions he was owed. How many black celebrities could pull that off?

#totallynotapowermove
#powerlessdave
#noinfluence
#nosway
You know Dave was only successful in that attempt cuz of the sensitive as era we currently live in where corporations do not want to look like the abusive advantageous soulless bastard that they are right?

The situation between Dave and Viacom has been that way ever since he left the show. He makes that plea in 2011 with the same fan base and it does not work out the same way.

That wasn't a display of Dave's power. It was a display of the power corporations have lost.

We see it more and more when music artists let their fans know they aint making no money off their albums, don't own their publishing or masters. The pressure is applied and then they get it back.

The main reason for that is cuz in those advantageous situations the artist, like Dave is seen as the victim. The fans rally around someone they look up to or admire that have been victimized and push for some sort of fairness. Corporations will quickly bail out of the position of abuser or oppressor just to not hurt their overall image/brand/rep and most importantly revenue streams.

Remember when Shonda Rhimes got snubbed Disney tickets for her family after making them millions upon millions of dollars. Companies don't historically kowtow to the wants and desires of their black talent regardless of how much money they make them. Dave being able to pull that off is not a small feat. But I guess they just felt like being charitable and he doesn't have any power or influence.
Yeah, that was repeatedly said to be a huge mistake on Disney's side. They were copping pleas left and right. The racism accusations were right around the corner. The thing is that did not rise to the level of a creator's work and rights being signed away which is essentially being treated as robbery. Something that is looked at a wrong to be righted by the masses.

Shonda then left Disney to get a big bag and more creative freedom at Netflix.

It would almost seem like the bigger conflict is media conglomerates losing creatives to the new big bad media giant i.e. Netflix.

9DDC5D22-0868-4B92-A06D-ED24C4B60449.gif

Serious question: Would it have worked with out it tho?

i feel like it's a two Americas situation.
ive seen that movie 500 times, i think i would have got it immediately.

1635537068505.png

he prob just needed the lil silver mic, and hit em with a little "i beeelive that chiildreen are the future"

no black face necessary imo :lol:

As with many things in life - there are levels.

I personally wouldn't have been offended at all by this costume (he killed it!) - wouldn't take a picture next to him, but also wouldn't be offended. :lol:

When I think of Blackface - its a whole other thing.

Historically Blackface has always been more than simply putting on makeup.

I feel like thats a situation where you kinda have to know the guy. If its that one white kid, you know who Im talking about. “White Mike”, from the block, hung out with all black kids, your momma couldn’t stand his momma because she be looking too hard, played on the basketball team, went to that Mystikal concert with you that one time. Then, its like…aight…this your one. :lol:

Growing up in a white town, I've had to inform multiple small town white Canadians that blackface was a bad idea for a Halloween costume.

Ashley was so sad when I told her the brown make up was a bad idea for her Beyonce crazy in love costume.

I feel like thats a situation where you kinda have to know the guy. If its that one white kid, you know who Im talking about. “White Mike”, from the block, hung out with all black kids, your momma couldn’t stand his momma because she be looking too hard, played on the basketball team, went to that Mystikal concert with you that one time. Then, its like…aight…this your one. :lol:

Nah..............

Lol not in this way. No one puts on black face and is like MLK would do this too. #freespeech
I've seen Ben Shapiro use MLK's stances on America and the Vietnam war as examples a part of his own opinions.

The thing this white guy did wasn't Dave did whiteface so I can do blackface. It was Dave doesn't have the attitude of walking on eggshells to be considerate of others and neither do I.

The channeling stems from different places.

A bigot will try to take a quote from a prominent black integrationist/abolitionist and twist it to fit their bigoted stance.

Whats going on with (white) ppl referencing Dave is I'm not even _-ist or _-phobic as the premise, I just don't consider if I hurt your feelings when I do × action.

Now I've met enough ignorant white ppl when it comes to blackface where it never dawned on them this was racist. They don't know the history and think they're dressing as somebody they like or is funny. They're dumb and don't get it. They don't even get the bigger racist implications of the act or their role in it.

Last edited:
I've seen Ben Shapiro use MLK's stances on America and the Vietnam war as examples a part of his own opinions.

The thing this white guy did wasn't Dave did whiteface so I can do blackface. It was Dave doesn't have the attitude of walking on eggshells be considerate of others and neither do I.

The channeling stems from different places.

A bigot will try to take a quote from a prominent black integrationist/abolitionist and twist to fit their bigoted stance.

Whats going on with (white) ppl referencing Dave is I'm not even _-ist or _-phobic as the premise, I just don't consider if I hurt your feelings when I do × action.

Now I've met enough ignorant white ppl when it comes to blackface where it never dawned on them this was racist. They don't know the history and think they're dressing as somebody they like or is funny. They're dumb and don't get it. They don't even get the bigger racist implications of the act or their role in it.

Racists use mlk in a different context but it's nothing like perpetuating telling black jokes and using slurs.

Either way when ****ty human beings start coming out the wood works and you become their fellow deplorable black brotha. It's never a good look.
Yeah, but again there's levels.

If the ppl are also too stupid not to understand the person they're quoting isn't really on their side it not being a good look isn't where this ends. Nobody approaches this topic through optics alone. Issue is a bit deeper.

Pretty sure Chappelle doesn't care about the surface level ****. Same way he didn't mind back when he made those Trump comments and stuck by it until he saw how it turned out and responded accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom