Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Dave Chappelle Just Dropped Two Netflix Specials, but There's a Problem
https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F684991%2Fca28fefd-505c-4097-9f9d-c5a98d662c08.jpg

http://mashable.com/2017/12/31/dave-chappelle-netflix-transgender-jokes/#nzW1S1Rx.iq8

Dave Chappelle is widely considered to be a comedic genius. So when Netflix announced it had released two Chappelle stand-up specials, people freaked. A little comedy to wrap up this bitter year has to be a good thing, right?

Well, maybe. But maybe not. The specials just dropped, but there's already some pushback when it comes to Chappelle's thoughts on the transgender community.

Of the two videos, "The Bird Revelation" and "Equanimity," it's the latter that is once again bringing Chappelle's controversial views into the spotlight. In it, he reflects on past jokes of his that critics have called transphobic.

"You know who hates me the most? The transgender community," he says to a laughing audience. "I didn't realize how bad it was. These mother****ers are really mad about that last Netflix special. It's tough man, I don't know what to do about it 'cause I like them. I always have. Never had a problem with them. Ya know, just ****ing around. And a matter of fact I think I make fun of everybody, and I mean as a group of people they have to admit... it's kind of ****ing hilarious man. I'm sorry bro."

He continues on to say that being born trans is funny if it's not happening to you.

Not everyone was amused.

He then compares trans people to Rachel Dolezal, the white women who claimed to be black. "That is trans talk, lady," Chappelle says, before hastily adding that unlike Dolezal he "believes" trans people because they sometimes get sex reassignment surgery — though he phrases it much differently.

The Human Rights Campaign, a LGBTQ civil rights organization, says that "fatal violence disproportionately affects transgender women of color" and that in 2017 at least 28 transgender individuals have been "fatally shot or killed by other violent means."

For many, the reality of life as a trans person is definitely not funny — even if it's not happening to you.

:rolleyes @ the article

I didn’t wanna hear bout the trans talk cause it ain’t worth talking bout

they getting all this unnecessary attention

now they taking the easy route and getting buzz off chappelles name cause it’s a guaranteed viral outrage moment

And the important part is that he compared Smart to a young black girl who escaped her kidnapper and nobody talked about it on the news. Just like the joke about getting off the phone if CK is masturbating on the other end of the line, the joke isn't about women and how they're not really victims - it's about how white women are so protected by white supremacy that they don't know what the **** to do in a crisis, unlike black women, who grow up in crisis just by living in this system.

But that's too hard to get - or too uncomfortable to admit - for a lot of people, so they'll attack the messsenger and distort the message instead.

It's gonna be a sad day when Dave Chappelle stops doing comedy.
Dude's the north star of comedy right now.

Katt lately has been looking out of it whenever he's seen
Joint old, that was a few months after Bernie and it was obvious that was affecting him at the time

Funny thing is dude always gets it together when it's time 2 go on tour

finally got to sit down last night and watch both of these

that draymond joke was gold lol.
The way homie was smoking his cigs in the 2nd one tho lol you would think he was holding a joint

A Close Read of the Pimp Story Dave Chappelle Tells in The Bird Revelation
By Dave Schilling
03-dave-chappelle-pimp.w710.h473.jpg

Photo: Netflix

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/dave-chappelle-pimp-story-bird-revelation-close-read.html

Dave Chappelle’s inexplicable departure from Chappelle’s Show — and a hefty $50 million contract with Viacom — hangs over everything he does. Walking away from a massively successful television show, flying to Africa, and disappearing from the entertainment industry for 12 years is quite a thing to live down. Some people are forever branded with the details of their infamy — Bill Buckner’s error in the World Series, Ashlee Simpson lip-syncing on Saturday Night Live, Kanye interrupting Taylor. Chappelle carries the brand, but he’s maintained the mystery around it.

And so one of the more interesting parts of the comedian’s New Year’s Eve stand-up special drop, The Bird Revelation, comes at the end, when he gives the intimate audience in the Comedy Store’s Belly Room (and the audience sitting at home) a tiny bit of insight into his disappearance from Hollywood in 2005, by recounting a story from Iceberg Slim’s book, Pimp: The Story of My Life.

The Iceberg Slim story revolves around a sex worker at the natural end of her career, and her pimp, who goes to great lengths to force her, his best earner, into further years of indentured servitude. He stages a death and pins the blame on her, the guilt and shame breaking her spirit. Only her pimp can offer her salvation, and the only way to repay that debt is to keep working.

It’s natural to want to decode what Chappelle is trying to say, to apply literal meaning to what is, in essence, a parable about power dynamics and the cruelty of capitalism. In his analogy, Viacom and Comedy Central are the pimp, going to extreme lengths to prevent their best earner from attaining true freedom. Chappelle is the put-upon sex worker, incapable of giving any more, but having no choice. This fits nicely with the way Chappelle characterized his decision earlier in the special. He was a victim, and his choice to quit was heroic. (He even makes a point of telling the audience that people often call him a hero to his face.) In the story, the sex worker doesn’t quit. She carries on with her pimp, thanks to the pimp’s deception. People she believed were helping her were really working to further the lie that she killed a man. The dead man that she mourned was another part of the trick, used to prey on her humanity. But who, in this analogy, was the dead man that almost dragged Chappelle deeper into the Hollywood system he seems to alternately despise and crave approval from?

Well, it’s not a perfect analogy, but Chappelle is the dead man. What he killed was a part of himself, as he pandered to the mainstream and reached for the giant payday; as he gave white audiences the cover to laugh at edgy racial material without understanding the history or the pain behind the jokes. He didn’t do it alone, though. The system he so loathes — the studio heads, the agents, the middle managers, the white writers, like Chappelle’s Show co-creator Neal Brennan, the white fans he was asked to cater to — were, in his mind, the ones that pushed him to make a show he wasn’t proud of anymore. It was inadvertent, but once Chappelle realized it, it played a role in his decision to quit.

So unlike the sex worker, Chappelle saw through the ruse. (Also unlike the sex worker, his idea of being used is being given $50 million to make white people laugh.) Instead of getting deeper in, he got out, and now, in 2018, he’s free. He can tour, he can drop Netflix specials, smoke inside, and provoke modern notions of social justice as he sees fit. He’s still rich (he’s quite fond of mentioning he drives a Porsche), but not the kind of rich that makes one beholden to CEOs or stockholders. There are no overnight ratings for his specials, no benchmarks to hit. No quarterly earnings report hinges on his participation.

Now he’s free, or at least it seems like he is. But that white audience is still there, and in Equanimity, Chappelle acknowledges he needs that audience to survive. “If there were no white people here tonight, I might leave this ***** with $1,800,” he says toward the end of the special. The cruelest part of the pimp’s trick, after all, is that the sex worker believed she was making her own decisions, that the choice to stick with her pimp was her own, that she was free.

^ Interesting -- is Dave really free now?

He escaped a big machine (Viacom) and jumped into another (Netflix), even if it seems as if he's an independent contractor.

I would say dave is iceberg in the story

but you could word it any kind of way and it would mean the same thing as to why he left

How would Dave be iceberg in that story as it relates to his leave from show business?

really just depends how you word it

but he didn’t want to be responsible for the harshness of what had to be done

unlike iceberg carrying the immoral acts thru, he walked away

alotta people want to be the pimp but don’t have the heart or have too much of it

but again you can reword what I said and have dave be the bottom b or whoever you choose

I see him more as iceberg tho cause he saw the whole game from the jump

I haven’t watched these new ones, but I find people being so up in arms about him pretty funny, cause he’s always had controversial cross-the-line material, it’s just that society’s sensitivity to issues has increased. R Kelly piss on you and GayKKK was funny 10+ years ago, but today it’s “what if that was your sister being pissed on?” and “what if there are really gay klan members? we must get them some help, they may have a mental illness”. Womp womp

There's been an obvious culture change in the last 10 years. I hate using the term PC but its clear that if you roast gay/trans ppl your gonna get backlash. Even Eddie Murphy had to apologize cause of homophobic jokes he made in the past.

Last edited:
really just depends how you word it

but he didn’t want to be responsible for the harshness of what had to be done

unlike iceberg carrying the immoral acts thru, he walked away

alotta people want to be the pimp but don’t have the heart or have too much of it

but again you can reword what I said and have dave be the bottom b or whoever you choose

I see him more as iceberg tho cause he saw the whole game from the jump

Nah. He was being pimped and walked away before his mileage ran out.

Nah. He was being pimped and walked away before his mileage ran out.

yeah that too, that’s what most would say

it all correlates

but he walked away from his own content, he felt responsible for how people were perceiving what he made

I'm glad he said what the part about being pissed off when Trans people try to compare their struggle to that of colored people and the civil rights movement. I basically got permabanned from NeoGAF for saying the same **** (minus the whole it's mostly white men doing it part). Funny how that place ended up.

Anyway I watched the first part of the new episodes, but I think the first special was better. so far. How can he top the Bill Cosby skit?

Back
Top Bottom