Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
2 very smart black Americans who have a podcast did a couple special episodes with their “still processing” podcast.. Wesley Morris and Jenna wortham are the two individual I’m speaking off, but the episodes are allowing Asian Americans to voice what they have dealt with and deal with in America

I’d highly recommend checking their podcast on the whole.. but especially these episodes in light of stuff contained within dave’s recent special:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/podcasts/still-processing-asian-americans-racism.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/podcasts/still-processing-asian-americans-racism.html

You black?

Can we talk about exactly what the **** cancel culture is?

I can only think of VERY few instances where the people targeted by this so called epidemic...actually had their career path altered.

*****s KILLED Kanye...but he drops a shoe and that ***** still re-selling for ridiculous amounts. Is anyone really trying to "cancel" Dave right now? People *****ing on Twitter isn't exactly trying to "cancel" someone. I keep seeing this associated with Jay-Z right now too. It's almost like the term is being misused by people on both sides of that coin.

Cancel culture's "power" is usually overstated. Most people who refer to it by that name are people who are talking down on it and dismissing it.
We presume it's purpose to completely destroy someone's career and leave them in shambles but what it generally does is expose just how fragile a celebrity/person's character is in other people's eyes.

If you want to use Kanye as an example you have to remember and consider that in your circle of social media cliques he may have been "killed" but in many others he was practically unbothered. Social media is a vast area of the internet and nobody is fully aware of what each section is doing and their full impression of people are. I've seen people saying Kanye has been trash for years and most of the people who "cancelled" him had already washed their hands of him before he started his MAGA run.

Sure there are people trying to "cancel" Dave, Jay-Z, and Kanye the same way people are trying to "cancel" people who eat meat or trying to "cancel" people who vape. When speaking of the internet understand that dramatics wins, and who would say they want to deter someone's career when they can say let's cancel them?

This is the attitude a lot of these folks need to take

I get when you’re just ignorant to something.. but when you’re more exposed and well aware, just cut it

I used to like their show on vice, but I don’t think comedy has to be PC.

Watch Bill Burr’s newest special recently too, it was just as bad not more offensive as Chappelle, very funny too.

I’m not sure what was offensive in the bill burr special

I don’t even think dave’s special was that offensive.. but I do think that bit about the Chinese man was just dumb and unnecessary and I would hope Dave would know better

I used to like their show on vice, but I don’t think comedy has to be PC.

Watch Bill Burr’s newest special recently too, it was just as bad not more offensive as Chappelle, very funny too.

Have to catch that new burr. It’s comedy. If I don’t like the joke or it offends me whatever keep it moving. Desus and mero are trash

Bill Burr did something I haven’t seen anyone do: He made fun of Michelle Obama. Really, he made fun of the idea of the First Lady.

Pretty sure if you’re super famous you should probably just ignore the random social media mobs and move on with your life, but somehow they decide to engage or apologize which makes it worse.

I think you can engage.. but don’t be deep diving into the mentions or out chere living your life like Kevin Durant, for example

Bill maher, is a perfect example of what is being discussed about Dave..

He’s smart enough to know better but he wants to be edgy and I assume he enjoys sticking in the knife

Sure it seems cool if you support the things he supports.. and you’re willing to let stuff slide that isn’t about you (like the manner with which he takes about religion.. if you don’t believe or care, that’s your right but this dude just beats a dead horse).. but by doing so you’re giving him space to feel comfortable to do the following and giving his employers the leeway to let it slide:

Dave don't give a ****. They have nothing to dangle over his head. He don't wanna do the blockbuster movies or hit TV series. He don't have play this PC "I'll be a good boy" game. He stuck his chest out like yeah. He can talk about whatever he want because the people will always support him. He came in pushing the line and he's sticking to it.

Dave don't give a ****. They have nothing to dangle over his head. He don't wanna do the blockbuster movies or hit TV series. He don't have play this PC "I'll be a good boy" game. He stuck his chest out like yeah. He can talk about whatever he want because the people will always support him. He came in pushing the line and he's sticking to it.

But this is my problem.. I think Dave took the low hanging fruit because it was easy and he knew the Netflix money was there for him to do another special

We’ve seen Dave handle/navigate difficult subject matters in the past and do so in a significantly more nuanced manner

But the Chinese man bit felt cheap and like shh that used to be on tv 40-50 years ago.. and the other problematic stuff that is being discussed just felt easy

Or even something as simple as him using the NBA as a reference point for that equality joke.. the hilarious part of the prince sketch is that it subverts our expectations.. however, I gotta question the sanity of anyone who thinks Dave Chappelle would be able to hang with anyone in the WNBA let alone get anywhere near the damn NBA

But this is my problem.. I think Dave took the low hanging fruit because it was easy and he knew the Netflix money was there for him to do another special

We’ve seen Dave handle/navigate difficult subject matters in the past and do so in a significantly more nuanced manner

But the Chinese man bit felt cheap and like shh that used to be on tv 40-50 years ago.. and the other problematic stuff that is being discussed just felt easy

Or even something as simple as him using the NBA as a reference point for that equality joke.. the hilarious part of the prince sketch is that it subverts our expectations.. however, I gotta question the sanity of anyone who thinks Dave Chappelle would be able to hang with anyone in the WNBA let alone get anywhere near the damn NBA

Comedy is full of low hanging fruit. Every great stand up special takes low hanging fruit. Race, relationships, current news.

Comedy is full of low hanging fruit. Every great stand up special takes low hanging fruit. Race, relationships, current news.

And that’s where the skill comes in... I don’t mind him dealing with the subject matter

But it’s the execution.. like say RDJ in tropic thunder vs this career ender:

upload_2019-9-14_15-51-53.jpeg

The Chinese bit would be different in the 50s. It would just be a display of stereotypes. Dave using those same stereotypes made a point about how ridiculous identity issues have gotten. And that people who believe they’re something else on the inside can come off looking crazy. You will never know what it’s like to be a man, woman, Asian person, Black person unless you are actually that. South Park has tackled this issue years ago too. Kyle wanted to get on the basketball team so he got surgery to turn into a taller Black kid. While his father wanted to be a dolphin so he got surgery for that. What really matters is that you find comfort in who you really are. Being something that you’re not comes at a big price.

His execution was fine to me. Dave always delivery and set up is always great to me.

Nah that Chinese man shh was cringeworthy at best

And I feel like who only really went with the trans/LGBT jokes because of the heat he got from the last special

But even the NBA joke was weak to me because ain’t like he should be anywhere near them dudes either.. so him saying “us” doesn’t resonate

Nah that Chinese man shh was cringeworthy at best

And I feel like who only really went with the trans/LGBT jokes because of the heat he got from the last special

But even the NBA joke was weak to me because ain’t like he should be anywhere near them dudes either.. so him saying “us” doesn’t resonate

**** was funny to me. All of it. Everybody's not gonna like the same type of comedy.

Seems like a lot of users on NT have a flippant attitude when it comes to racism toward Asian folks

Back
Top Bottom