Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
What really hit with Louie's situation is when Pete Davidson told the story of when he tried to get him fired from SNL because he caught him smoking weed. That is clearly someone who will use their power and influence over those not in the same situation, so you understand how those women may have really felt giving consent.
Hadnt heard about this. Definitely lends credence to being a habitual power abuser.

Fired for smoking weed? From SNL? None of that adds up at all. We sure this wasnt a joke? Either way, will look into this.

what are the consequences?
losing viewers/money
criticism
articles and bad press
losing potential jobs

ok i read that article. that guy will no longer watch his stand ups. now what?
what do you want dave chappelle to do? tailor his standup to everyone who takes offense...?
can he still make these jokes if he doesn't use certain words? is bruce jenner off limits? seriously... i'm not sure what you want from a comedian.

this is standup. it's offensive. he makes jokes and makes people laugh. does he have to be a moral compass for everyone cause he's famous?
where do we draw the line on making fun of people?

losing money
losing potential jobs

have either of these things actually happened

and arguments could very easily be made that he actually made money and gained viewers because of all of the controversy

Bill maher said the N word and seemingly the only consequences he suffered was having to have ice cube on his show.. the most I’ve seen of his show in years was from those 2 episodes

have either of these things actually happened
that's my point. dave is smart. he knows about the threat of being cancelled. he talks about it and he still made the joke.
anyone offended, you included, should stop supporting him.
cause other than that, i don't think you have any right to tell him what jokes he can make.

it's like you only want him to make jokes that you find funny.

that's my point. dave is smart. he knows about the threat of being cancelled. he talks about it and he still made the joke.
cause other than that, i don't think you have any right to tell him what jokes he can make.

I don't necessarily agree that no one should speak up if offended. I think they can do more than just not consume his product. If there was a white comedian getting off n word jokes I'd definitely have something to say about it...it would definitely go beyond not just consuming their product.

That said, I thought Dave's purpose behind the jokes was a conversation worth having. He posses the same questions i do with regards to the transgender community. These question dont rise from fear or hate. I think it's definitely an effort to further understand their situation. If these were low hanging fruit, no purpose trans jokes, I'd be in support of people speaking against him. But I dont feel like that was the case for Dave and that bit.

No one is saying they can tell Dave what he can or cannot say, but like Jim Bob being eager to say n****** on stage he better be prepared for a backlash.

The I have gay friends excuses he gives can only last so long.

that's my point. dave is smart. he knows about the threat of being cancelled. he talks about it and he still made the joke

but what’s the actual threat to Dave chapelle about telling trans jokes of “being canceled”?

you don’t have to be that smart to realize how America (and the world) treats people

trump has been a blatant racist for over half a century and your country is going to hell over him

washington football team had that racist @)@ name for almost 90 years

who is this comedian that has had to actually suffer because of their offending of trans people?

No one is saying they can tell Dave what he can or cannot say, but like Jim Bob being eager to say n****** on stage he better be prepared for a backlash.

The I have gay friends excuses he gives can only last so long.

I mean you have blatant examples of Louie CK AND bill maher both throwing around the N word.. hell gervais too

and it wasn’t that, that got any of em

i think i get it. i hear y'all. the purpose of the backlash is to cancel dave or make him change his act. be more sensitive to these issues.

i just think it's misguided to look for a moral high ground from comedians.
they make fun of everyone. it's weird to me that people have a moral judgement on these jokes cause anyone can be offended by anything.
i guess it's just what i've come to expect from a stand up. i expect people to be made fun of.

Dave Chappelle is a rich Black man who chooses to live in the backwoods in Ohio.

He'll be fine.

I mean you have blatant examples of Louie CK AND bill maher both throwing around the N word.. hell gervais too

and it wasn’t that, that got any of em

Yea its unfortunate but if it did, I would understand why people are offended by comedians using such language, instead of crying about cancel culture.

Times like this, I wish Carlin was still around. He would have rained fire and brimstone on this woke **** and he was liberal. The problem is the new liberals are now like the old conservatives. I’ve tried to watch some woke comedians and it’s the most godawful horrific butchering of comedy I’ve ever seen.

Times like this, I wish Carlin was still around. He would have rained fire and brimstone on this woke **** and he was liberal. The problem is the new liberals are now like the old conservatives. I’ve tried to watch some woke comedians and it’s the most godawful horrific butchering of comedy I’ve ever seen.

I don't think Carlin would have made raining on the "woke" movement his identity. I think that's just you projecting that persona onto him.

I should preface what I'm about to say by saying Dave is a brilliant comedian.

His trans jokes were deliberate and he threw just enough in there to shield himself from ridicule by portraying himself as being somewhat of an ally of the LGBT community.

Dude tried the "I have gay/trans friends" excuse.

Tryng to connect Dave to Daphne's suicide is nasty fam.

i think i get it. i hear y'all. the purpose of the backlash is to cancel dave or make him change his act. be more sensitive to these issues.

i just think it's misguided to look for a moral high ground from comedians.
they make fun of everyone. it's weird to me that people have a moral judgement on these jokes cause anyone can be offended by anything.
i guess it's just what i've come to expect from a stand up. i expect people to be made fun of.

they don’t make fun of everyone thou and they aren’t just saying anything out there…

People can be made fun of and even taboo things can be touched upon, but it’s how you deal with it

like black face is clearly a terrible idea.. but look at tropic thunder, rdj’s character thought he was THAT great an actor thar he could pull off black face, the joke isn’t the black face it’s rdk’s character as a whole and him and the studio thinking any of that was a good idea

but as far as people unjustifiably suffering consequences there are only a handful I think of

bill simmons told the truth about goodell and then the league used it’s power to move him from espn.. jamele hill told the truth from her private Twitter account about trump and got got (Michael smith suffered too as a result).. and there are a few journalists that have gone down as a result of Palestine related comments

I don't think Carlin would have made raining on the "woke" movement his identity. I think that's just you projecting that persona onto him.

Carlin was a staunch supporter of free speech and had issues with anyone trying to limit what he could say. Who’s trying to limit free speech in comedy right now? And he was super liberal. But he was Liberal Classic. Woke Liberals and Classic Liberals are not the same. Carlin and Patrice for that matter would have blasted the woke crowd if they were around today. They would be criticized like Chappelle or maybe even worse.

yea I don’t think “woke” movements would be his targets

I think the blatancy of republicans, the weakness of the democrats, then the sensitivity of white males and their fear of losing power as the world evolves and changes.. then I assume he’d go after hipsters and some of the trendy shhh like how much we pay for coffee and amount of options type shh

but I don’t think he’d feel threatened or insecure about any of the marginalized groups to be at odds with ‘woke’ ppl

yea I don’t think “woke” movements would be his targets

I think the blatancy of republicans, the weakness of the democrats, then the sensitivity of white males and their fear of losing power as the world evolves and changes.. then I assume he’d go after hipsters and some of the trendy shhh like how much we pay for coffee and amount of options type shh

but I don’t think he’d feel threatened or insecure about any of the marginalized groups to be at odds with ‘woke’ ppl

I’m not saying he would just go after the woke crowd. But they would be on his list too.

Back
Top Bottom