DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ action adventure “Aquaman,” helmed by James Wan (“The Conjuring” films, “Furious 7”). Jason Momoa stars in the title role, returning to the character he plays in this fall’s “Justice League.”

The film also stars Amber Heard (“Justice League,” “Magic Mike XXL”) as Mera; Oscar nominee Willem Dafoe (“Platoon,” “Spider-Man 2”) as Vulko; Temuera Morrison (“Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones,” “Green Lantern”) as Tom Curry; Dolph Lundgren (“The Expendables” films) as Nereus; Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (upcoming “Baywatch,” Netflix’s “The Get Down”) as Black Manta; with Patrick Wilson (“The Conjuring” films, “Watchmen”) as Orm/Ocean Master; and Oscar winner Nicole Kidman (“The Hours,” “Lion”) as Atlanna.

The film is being produced by Peter Safran, with Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder, Rob Cowan, Jon Berg and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers.

Wan’s team behind the scenes includes such frequent collaborators as Oscar-nominated director of photography Don Burgess (“The Conjuring 2,” “Forrest Gump”), his five-time editor Kirk M. Morri (“The Conjuring” films, “Furious 7,” the “Insidious” films) and production designer Bill Brzeski (“Furious 7”). They are joined by costume designer Kym Barrett (“The Matrix” trilogy; “The Amazing Spider-Man”), along with Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Charles Gibson (“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 & 2”) and VFX supervisor Kelvin McIlwain (“The Fast and the Furious” franchise).

As is fitting for the king of the sea, the shoot will take place mainly in locations spanning the stunning Gold Coast of Queensland, Australia, with extensive filming to be accomplished at Village Roadshow Studios. The production will utilize the facility’s sprawling backlot and all nine VRS soundstages, including its newest, Stage 9, the largest of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. Filming will also take place in Newfoundland, Sicily and Tunisia.

An icon for over 75 years, Aquaman is known by fans of DC Comics as the ruler of Atlantis but committed to protecting the entire globe, both land and sea.

Currently set for a 2018 release, the film is based on characters from DC.

View media item 2425027

Ruh Roh!!

Early reaction from someone who saw it compared Wonder Woman to Captain America 1. This must be bad news to all the Cap1 haters out there. I actually happened to enjoy it tho.

Last edited:
Compared it how? As it sucks like Cap 1 or if you seen Cap 1 thwn you know what your getting with WW?

Ok i saw the review apparently that dude and some of yall like Cap 1 alot more than most do lol

Ruh Roh!!

Early reaction from someone who saw it compared Wonder Woman to Captain America 1. This must be bad news to all the Cap1 haters out there. I actually happened to enjoy it tho.

I have a feeling dudes probably just saw both being set during a World War and thought the two were the same.

The first Cap wasn't good. It just wasn't.

So for me that doesn't bode well for WW.

Conceptually I could see the appeal of wanting to take such a strong female character and juxtapose that against such a blatantly sexist era

But really that's something that still exists today, just not as blatantly.. which makes their job a lil harder, but ain't like it's really that hard.. we all should know things aren't equal when it comes to men and women.. so a lot of interesting things could have been done whatever time they decided to set the film

I hope they didn't go in with the primary idea being this would be cool.. cause as I've said from BVS, my major concern was how do they justify WW just chillin while other things happen in the world especially MOS

Cap1 was just dry.. but it's also a pretty weird movie.. that lil segment when cap first goes to see the troops and gets booed off stage in favor of the girls, where you see the actual grit of war and not the glamorized thing cap had imagined or even portrayed in his fundraising act.. they had a chance for a better movie if they focused on that aspect of things obviously.. but I get it, marvel was still feeling things out.. didn't want to go full saving private ryan

DC obviously got a lot riding on this, so it'll be interesting to see what route they decided to take

They made Cap face that unnecessary character obstacles where even his own gov. is against him/doesn't take him seriously.

What's the point of spending money on the super soldier program akin to the Manhattan project and then having the only successful experiment be promotion and a recruiting tool. Cap has a rich history of being a soldier in 616 and Ultimate and they squandered it.

With WW I'm just hoping not to get the cliche expected ****.

Last edited:
I rather it be compared to Captain America 1 than it being a jumbled piece of material.

Gotta start somewhere smh.

They made Cap face that unnecessary character obstacles where even his own gov. is against him/doesn't take him seriously.

What's the point of spending money on the super soldier program akin to the Manhattan project and then having the only successful experiment be promotion and a recruiting tool. Cap has a rich history of being a soldier in 616 and Ultimate and they squandered it.

With WW I'm just hoping not to get the cliche expected ****.

Yup.. made zero sense for Tommy Lee jones character to be so against using him, especially considering the first thing dude did after getting his vitamin S

Should have been that wide eyed dude experiencing legit war

But then again they kinda sorta did that with IM1 and stark

Last edited:
I rather it be compared to Captain America 1 than it being a jumbled piece of material.

But we're at a point where there's so much that can be done..

Basically you kinda mix T2 with like saving private Ryan then throw in some Erin Brockovich/ a league of their own

But we're at a point where there's so much that can be done..

Basically you kinda mix T2 with like saving private Ryan then throw in some Erin Brockovich/ a league of their own

Agreed 100%.

I just don't trust that DC is capable of doing that, at least not yet.

Last edited:
I think going ww era was easy way out..

But this the same studio that gave us batman begins and the dark knight.. they should know to get quality folks to get a quality product

Like with SS I expected a grounded story focused on the characters like dudes other movies

In the larger general sense when you account for the duds the studio has dropped before yeah it's much better it be Cap 1 than say Catwoman.

However, at this stage in the game cbms have stepped their game up. So it's not gonna get wildly praised for being ok.

people didnt like cap 1? the hell?

some people just like to watch the world burn

It was meh.. a lot of movies are meh.. I look at x1 and x2 as meh movies too

Obviously there were a lot better movies to be made or we wouldn't have gotten WS and CW

Or to keep it DC related getting the Nolan movies after Joel schaucher's hot garbage.. or to thrown in another meh singer movie, superman returns

Back
Top Bottom