DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

It's a part of the problem. DC completely has failed to modernize the 2 main guys they needed to in attempt to distance them from the paragon archetype they've been for almost 100 years. The vid definitely hits on a lot of key issues central to making a good movie and staying true to the comics.

They definitely ruined Superman as a likable character. I laugh and smh when ppl try to defend and make sense of that Pa Kent message that Ma Kent sort of picks up. Calling that deep or complex is just insulting to anybody's intelligence.

I wonder if Snyder was trying to capture douchey golden age Superman personality with the way he has no growth, motive, or personality. I only found that Superman enjoyable in the laugh at you cuz you're so alien to earth culture.

As for Batffleck, I feel the excuse here is they're using a TDKR Batman that has met Superman for the first time. So like any other stubborn old man he doesn't listen to advice, sticks to the kill the alien focus, takes a year to do it, and then it takes some emotional breakdown to change his mind.

In one sense you tell a Superman story where he first reveals himself after spending time as some hobo hero drifter but then to match Batman's been there done that mystique you make Superman all authoritative cuz half the population has been fellating him for killing an alien. When he clearly still lacks experience.

video was on point, they gotta answer those questions he asked near the end in regards to WW. really hoping they do too

Is this a fair assesment of the DCEU?

"We haven't been a good reason to care about any of them"

And that's it in a nutshell. I also think there are other problems with the stories themselves, but this might be the main one. At the end of the day, Marvel's heroes have managed to gain large fanbases, pushing numerous characters who were never anywhere near Batman and Superman, in terms of popularity, into the spotlight. Iron Man has never been as popular as he is now and the same goes for Captain America. The DCEU's films haven't done a thing for Superman, Batman, or Harley Quinn (Who i'd say is easily one of their most popular female characters). Even as someone who doesn't think the franchise is as bad as some people make it out to be, I won't deny that it isn't just coasting by due to the large number of fans these characters already had, along with brand recognition.

He's right again when he mentions Batman's story arc in BvS. That opening scene of Bruce Wayne running through Metropolis and seeing the damage caused by Superman and Zod's fight was great, a perfect setup to some kind of conflict between Batman and Superman down the line. The rest of the film doesn't deliver. Batman jumps to wanting to kill Superman, ranting like a maniac about him being a threat, without any proper justification for such an immense hatred. And these is even taking Metropolis into account, because it's at such odds with Superman's other actions, which include being the one to stop the conflict in Metropolis. Therefore, you never once side with Batman, unless you just have a hatred for Superman. Compare it to something like Batman Hush or The Dark Knight Returns. In the former, Superman is being mind controlled by Poison Ivy and Batman comes into conflict with him because a villain with a physical god under her control is something that has to be stopped. In the latter, Superman's become a government stooge who is specifically sent to stop Batman at the order of Ronald Reagan. Simplification's, yes, but that sums up why the two heroes fight well enough. In both instances, there is a solid reasoning on the parts of both characters to fight one another. In the first, Superman fights Batman because he's being controlled, Batman fights Superman to save him from said control. In the second one, Superman is following the orders of the President, Batman is defending himself and attempting to send a message. Simplifications, again, but they work. In BvS, Superman has to fight/kill Batman to save his mom, Batman is going out of his way to attack a guy who routinely stops massive disasters and saves an untold amount of people, because this person might be a threat...The ****? And at the end of the day, that's why that whole "Martha" scene doesn't really work. It isn't deserved and doesn't make any sense in regards to what we've seen of Batman and his irrational hatred of Superman beforehand. I honestly think that the scene could work and could make sense in a different film, but Batman wasn't written properly before that for that kind of ending to fly.

And let's not even get into Jonathan Tornado Kent. :smh: Obviously television and film are two different formats. Obviously this wasn't the version they wanted for the DCEU. But if you want a relatable Superman, with actual character arcs and growth, you watch Smallville. If you just want a genuinely likeable Superman, who still provides you with some good action and character moments, you watch Superman the Animated Series-Justice League Unlimited. And I honestly think you can find better versions of Batman all over the place, whether its in previous films, cartoons, or comics.

Last edited:
Watched that kimmel interview last night. Guillermo giving no dambs and let that axe fly over the target wall.

So Marvel is beefing up their games and just started production of Black Panther, meanwhile the Flash movie is getting it's what third writer and second director? smh...I used to be a big DC fan but they are burning everything good they've ever made.

Also, that video is just another reason to hate on the DCU.

^ Momoa-man seems like the biggest bro.

Hella goofy laugh  
laugh.gif

He lives on a farm and makes his own weapons. Plus his step-daughter is Zoe Kravitz. So lucky.

So Marvel is beefing up their games and just started production of Black Panther, meanwhile the Flash movie is getting it's what third writer and second director? smh...I used to be a big DC fan but they are burning everything good they've ever made.

Also, that video is just another reason to hate on the DCU.
Only a matter of time before Marvel makes that jump in animation with shows and movies :pimp:

If him and roman reigns had a competition,
who would pick up the most thots?
Momoa-man = leaner, more tattoos, rugged hunter who's actually a goofy joker

Ramen = bulkier, can't talk without stuttering, more douche-y

I hope the final Deathstroke suit looks closer to the Ikon suit. More streamlined and less clunky and bulky like the New 52/Arkham City suit. Look how well the Deadpool movie suit turned out.

f4eed02d_IC0fThy.jpeg

Batman-Batgirl-Kiss.gif
I honestly don't see why this scene was so shocking to people. If people saw Mystery of the Batwoman, they would know that Bruce and Barbara had a sexual relationship

It's more than that. In an era of strong female characters they created an unstable, emotional wreck of a little girl that was a complete mess in a film she was meant to be paralyzed. Talk about adding insult to injury.

I'm rooting for WW and hope those rumors weren't true. If that ends up being bad, then I have nothing to look forward too from DC's upcoming projects

Back
Top Bottom