Delete/Lock...Draft talk over in JPZ's thread....

alien.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The Saturday news from around the NBA is highlighted by point guards, with word of who is visiting where (and where not), creating some interestingpossibilities as the days dwindle before the draft.

• Memphis G TyrekeEvans was among six point guards visiting the http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=MinMinnesota Timberwolves on Friday and, surprisingly, joined the others in agroup workout, telling the St. Paul Pioneer Press, "I just wanted to let people know that I'm not running from nobody." Evans matched up againsta group comprised of Syracuse's Jonny Flynn, Brandon Jennings of Italy, UCLA'sJrue Holiday, North Carolina'sTy Lawson and Wake Forest'sJeff Teague.

• In New Jersey, after avoiding the Nets for weeks, Brandon Jennings is expected to join a group for a workout Saturday. The Star-Ledger reports thereason for the about-face is, as one scoutsaid, that Jennings is "sliding like a five-year-old in the park." More evidence of a fall for Jennings comes from Phoenix, where The ArizonaRepublic reports Jennings will workout for the Suns, who hold the 14th pick.

• The http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=NykNewYork Knicks have narrowed theirpoint guard list to three players, the New York Post reports, and are bringing Jrue Holiday back for a second look. Holiday was outplayed byStephenCurry in an earlier workout, warranting the second look. Also in the mix is Tyreke Evans, who, like Curry, could be selected before theKnicks pick at No. 8.

• One team that can't get a look at the top point guards is the http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ChaCharlotte Bobcats. The Charlotte Observer reports all the top prospectshave declined invitations because of the presence on theBobcats' roster of Raymond Felton and .J. Augustin.</>
[h3]More Draft News[/h3]
• The Chicago Tribune reports that with the No. 16 and No. 26 picks in the first round, the http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ChiChicagoBulls are looking to trade upand have targeted the http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=NjnNew Jersey Nets and the No. 11 pick as a likely target. The Bulls have been interested in Syracuse guard Jonny Flynn, Duke swingman Gerald Henderson, Wake Forest guard JeffTeague and forward JamesJohnson.

• Arizona State's James Harden is stilltrying to recapture his conditioning after illness and an ankle injury, but the Memphis Commercial Appeal reports the Pac-10 player of the year is stillvery much in the mix at the top of thedraft.

• After four years at North Carolina, Tyler Hansbrough is aknown commodity. But as The Indianapolis Star reports, the perceived lack of potential makes him a long shot for NBA generalmanagers hunting for breakout superstars.

• Arizona's JordanHill worked out for the http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=MilMilwaukee Bucks, who have the 10th overall pick, on Friday. The MilwaukeeJournal-Sentinel writes the 6-foot-10 Hill already has performedfor Washington (fifth pick), Golden State (seventh) and New York (eighth), and plans to work out for Memphis (second) -- and might not be around when the Buckscall a name. If Hill slides, the Racine Journal-Times' Gery Woelfel writes Hill could bring back memoriesof Paul Pierce and Caron Butler.

• Also in Milwaukee, former Ohio State center B.J. Mullens tells the Journal-Sentinel that he expects to proveto all the naysayers that he made the right call in declaringearly. The Bucks are the 11th team Mullens has worked out for, with more to come before next week's draft, although the Philadelphia Daily News reports the76ers are just honoring a commitment in working out the former Buckeye and have nointerest in picking him.

• The Detroit Free Press reports that with three second-round picks, the Pistons brought in an even dozen prospects, including Syracuse G Eric Devendorf and USC G Daniel Hackett, for a final look Friday.General manager Joe Dumars told NBA.com that he wasdown to four or five players for the first-round selection andthe Pistons expected at least one of the second-round picks to play overseas next season.

• Another team mining the second round is the http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=PorPortland Trail Blazers, with four second-round picks. The Columbian looksat the Blazers' focus on finding the rare hiddengem from the later portions of draft night.

• Louisville's Terrence Williams took his tour to the New Jersey Nets with the continuing goal of proving that he can shoot as well as leap. TheStar-Ledger reports Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe, for one, is convinced that Williams has that facet in his game.

• The http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=SacSacramento Kings have USC's DeMar DeRozan in town,and despite his low ranking from ESPN.com's John Hollinger, the Sacramento Bee says DeRozan is aiming for a high pick. The Kings also had a scheduled workout withSpanish point guard RickyRubio cancelled after Rubio became ill, but they hope to get him back in before the draft for another look.

• The http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=DenDenverNuggets haven't made a draft pick since 2006, and the Dever Post writes that with only a second-round pick this year, it's not clear theywill pick anyone this time around either.

• Local prospect LukeNevill and Pittsburgh F Sam Young highlight a groupworkout for the http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=UthUtah Jazz on Saturday, the Deseret News reports

laugh.gif
Antawn Jamison?

• The Chicago Tribune reports that with the No. 16 and No. 26 picks in the first round, the Chicago Bulls are looking to trade up and have targeted the New Jersey Nets and the No. 11 pick as a likely target. The Bulls have been interested in Syracuse guard Jonny Flynn, Duke swingman Gerald Henderson, Wake Forest guard Jeff Teague and forward James Johnson.

Why would the Bulls get Flynn ? Teague if they think he can be Gordon's successor but that's still and iffy pick.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Why would the Bulls get Flynn ? Teague if they think he can be Gordon's successor but that's still and iffy pick.
ohwell.gif
js15exhaust_wideweb__470x295,0.jpg

Originally Posted by Al3xis

In the 1-on-1s, the players would have to work to get open for an in-bounds pass, and then had four seconds to get a shot off...most often they received the ball between the top of the key and half court, and evans would get to the rim with ease, bull rushing, juking, spinning, whatever he wanted to do, he did. He made Jennings basically fall down a couple times, and hit 3s in the face of lawson and flynn that drew pretty big Ohhhhs from the small crowd watching on.

I would love to see Rubio do this.

So if I gather correctly, at least on there(Wolves) board its
1. Rubio
2 Evans
3 Flynn

Kahn came out and said that Foye is not a PG, so yes, we've given up on Foye as our PG. We haven't given up onhim completely yet..

The thing is I'm not comfortable with him being our starting SG...so I'm done with Foye. He can be a qualitycontributor off the bench in my opinion...he's just not a starting 2 guard.

I can't help but to look at Randy Foye and see Chauncey Billups when he came into the league. Struggling between trying to figure out when to be a scorerand when to be a distributor. I think Minny is going to give up on him and watch him go somewhere else and become a star once he figures it all out.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

I can't help but to look at Randy Foye and see Chauncey Billups when he came into the league. Struggling between trying to figure out when to be a scorer and when to be a distributor. I think Minny is going to give up on him and watch him go somewhere else and become a star once he figures it all out.
That's really funny you say that because he was getting compared to Chauncey going into the 06 Draft. I think he could fit in well withPhiladelphia. He can start at either guard position and roam around with Iguodala handling the ball. Lord knows Philly needs as many shooters as they can get.

Scary that Randy and Chauncey wear the same number in Minnesota too
laugh.gif

Eh, I don't see it. He's too inconsistent...and I don't think anyone would be saying the Foye/Billups thing if Foye was playing in Sacramento orNew Jersey right now...

It is kind of odd that they both wear/wore #4 though
laugh.gif

Keep in mind it did take Chauncey about five years before he "got it". Randy is about to enter his fourth season with his fourth head coach. Justlike Chauncey he needs some stability, and it also would probably help Randy if he had a veteran to help guide him like Chauncey had Sam Mitchell.

I don't think Randy will ever be a pure PG (then again, there are only a handful of those these days), but I do think he can be a starting caliber PGwith the ability to score anytime, anywhere while still possessing the qualities of an ideal PG.

Going to Minnesota saved Billups' career. I doubt the same can be said for Foye. Like JPZ said, he's been way too inconsistent. I'm hoping thatmaybe pressure can be alleviated since he won't have to worry about PG anymore, but it also could mean another transition into being an every game SG. Whoknows....

i dont get how some of you are saying the trade for mayo and love worked out equally for both teams..Twolves already had an allstar PF ..They could have keptMayo and all they be looking for in this draft would be a PG now they still need a SG also ..that trade was top notch for Memphis they have a future all starsg ..Love is solid dont get me wrong but if you use a top 5 pick he better be starting not coming off the bench playing scrap minutes..No way is love or ALgonna play the 3 or 5 spot so both cant play at the same time

[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Oklahoma City has one chance of getting the Clippers attention regarding a possible trade for the pick-of-the-litter-draft rights to Blake Griffin: Begin the dialogue with: "We're offering Kevin Durant." Past that, it ain't happenin'. New York Post[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boston could be trying to trade up to No. 2 (Grizzlies), No. 3 (Thunder), No. 4 (Kings), No. 5 (Wizards), No. 9 (Raptors) or No. 11 (Nets). Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen are players they might be willing to trade. The Celtics don't have a first-round pick. Oklahoman[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just as the notion of Ricky Rubio in a Kings uniform is seeming less likely by the day, there is this unsurprising news: he is moving on. A source with knowledge of the situation said Rubio was visited in Los Angeles today by the Oklahoma City Thunder, who have the No. 3 pick in the June 25 draft. This matters mostly because Rubio's visit in Sacramento this week came with unspoken terms, an understanding of sorts that a Rubio promise on the Kings' part could have stopped his American tour with just one concert. But that clearly never happened, and certainly not only because Rubio was unable to get on the floor Thursday when he fell ill. Sacramento Bee[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] From what I am hearing, the Kings are among the many teams whose scouts and personnel experts are all over the place - say, five votes going for five different players. Ultimately, Geoff Petire makes the decision, and his draft record is excellent. All of which makes me wonder whether the front office's disagreement about Ricky Rubio's value means anything. In other words, I find it hard to believe that a team president who appreciated the entertainment value of drafting Jason Williams isn't secretly enamored of the 6-foot-5 Spanish star. Sacramento Bee[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Davidson guard Stephen Curry is in the Kings' conversation, one of four players I've been told will be discussed for the No. 4 pick by what remains an undecided Kings' front office and scouting staff. The others are Syracuse's Jonny Flynn, Spaniard Ricky Rubio, and Memphis' Tyreke Evans, two of whom will be on hand tomorrow (Flynn and Evans) to share the floor with Curry and see who can win the latest round in this fight to be fourth. Sacramento Bee[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The Grizzlies held their second major draft workout Friday morning with former Arizona State swingman James Harden, considered a darkhorse candidate for the #2 pick. Harden had, frankly, a terrible workout, missing an avalanche of jumpshots while dealing with the stifling defense of small orange cones. Arguably worse than all the missed shots was how clearly frustrated Harden got. Memphis Flyer[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Afterward, a team official pulled me aside and said 'Look, we both know that was one of the worst workouts we've seen, but we've seen this kid enough to know what he can do." Harden, who shot 50% from the floor and 38% from three last year at Arizona State, is clearly a better shooter than he showed. (And he did find his rhythm toward the end, hitting 19 of 25 going around the horn on long two-point shots and a somewhat less impressive but still respectable 13-25 from three in the same drill.) And he may have been hobbled slightly by recovering from a minor ankle injury and recent sickness. Memphis Flyer[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An NBA scout said that Memphis freshman combo guard Tyreke Evans is expected to go in the top six. Boston Globe[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As we draw closer to Thursday's NBA draft, the rumors figure to start flying fast and furious as teams try to either move up or move down, or even out, of the draft. Here's another interesting one involving the Wizards. In the past week, I've spoken to two different league sources that have linked Minnesota to the Wizards as a possible trade partner for that No. 5 pick in the draft. Washington Times[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to one insider, the Timberwolves (who already have the sixth, 18th and 28th picks in the draft) disparately want to move up in order to land UConn big man Hasheem Thabeet. Another report has them badly wanting Rubio. Either way, the T'Wolves are said to be craving Memphis' No. 2 pick, but believe to land it, they need to offer two top-six picks in the draft. Enter the Wizards. Washington Times[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Another league source confirmed Minnesota has been haggling to land the Wizards 5th pick, but called it unlikely that the teams would be able to reach an agreement. The source said there is, however, a possibility that Minnesota would be able to work a deal with Oklahoma City to obtain the third pick. Washington Times[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And one other note. Bryan Colangelo has been awfully forthright lately discussing the top prospects in this draft. It seems a little odd to me, considering he likes to keep his cards extremely close to the vest. He has been open in the past, ie. he talked up Andrea Bargnani quite a bit prior to the 2006 draft, but more often, he is quite cagey. However, he and assistant GM Masai Ujiri have been quite effusive in their praise for DeMar DeRozan, leading to speculation that they have even promised him they will pick him if available at nine. Toronto Sun[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The Pistons (15th) and Bulls (16th) are expected to give strong consideration to Ohio State center B.J. Mullens if he is still available when they select. Boston Globe[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The chatter in the league is that the Cavs are very interested in moving up in the draft. They have been talking to teams just outside of the lottery (starting with the 15th pick) down into the low 20s. Cleveland Plain Dealer[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This draft is so weak that someone selected at No. 12 could end up being as good as someone drafted No. 4. "This year's draft is not good,'' the GM said. "Whether someone else besides Griffin ends up being really good, who knows? But the general consensus is it is weak.'' Boston Globe[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Working out for eight NBA teams in eight cities over a nine-day span is grueling. But B.J. Mullens knows it's not that bad. Mullens, a 7-foot draft prospect, lived through bad while growing up in Columbus, Ohio. Poor and struggling to make ends meet, Mullens, his mother and five half-siblings spent several years living in shelters. Even when they rented a home, they'd go to churches and shelters on holidays because there the family could get a hot meal. Bucks County Courier Times[/font]

[h1]2009 NBA Draft: Top 5 Lists[/h1]
By Borko_Popic

Sun, 06/21/2009 - 3:46pm

Our annual list looking at this year's draft's top prospects by category (top 5 lists). This year's list has been expanded to include 25 categories including athleticism, speed, strength, explosiveness, shooters, passers, defenders, and many more.

A look back at last year's: 2008 Draft Top 5 lists

Athleticism:

[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]
bgriffin10.jpg

Blake Griffin

[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table]1. Blake Griffin
2. Demar Derozan
3. Brandon Jennings
4. Gerald Henderson
5. Jonny Flynn
Speed:

1. Patty Mills
2. Josh Akognon
3. Brandon Jennings
4. Darren Collison
5. Ty Lawson

Strength:

1. DeJuan Blair
2. Blake Griffin
3. Garret Siler
4. Jon Brockman
5. Paul Harris

Explosiveness (Guards):

1. Brandon Jennings
2. Jonny Flynn
3. Gerald Henderson
4. Jeff Teague
5. Jermaine Taylor

Explosiveness (Forwards):

1. Blake Griffin
2. Charlie Coley
3. Derrick Brown
4. Jordan Hill
5. James Johnson

(Un)Athletic:

1. John Bryant
2. Austin Daye
3. Garret Siler
4. Henk Norel
5. Nando De Colo

Length:

1. Hasheem Thabeet
2. Taj Gibson
3. Derrick Brown
4. Tyreke Evans
5. Rodrigue Beaubois

Shooters:

1. Stephen Curry
2. Wayne Ellington
3. Marcus Thornton
4. Chase Budinger
5. Austin Daye

Ball Handlers:

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Brandon Jennings
3. Jeff Teague
4. Patrick Mills
5. Jonny Flynn

Passers:

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Nick Calathes
3. Eric Maynor http://www.nbadraft.net/players/nando-decolo
4. Nando De Colo
5. Terrence Williams

Defenders:

1. Hasheem Thabeet
2. Toney Douglas
3. Paul Harris
4. Terrel Harris
5. Jerel McNeal

Rebounders:

1. DeJuan Blair
2. Blake Griffin
3. Jon Brockman
4. Jordan Hill
5. Jeff Adrien

Post Skills:

1. Taj Gibson
2. James Johnson
3. Jordan Hill
4. Blake Griffin
5. James Harden

Competitors:

1. Tyler Hansbrough
2. Blake Griffinhttp://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyler-hansbrough
3. Jonny Flynn
4. Stephen Curry
5. Brandon Jennings

Warriors/Toughness:

1. Blake Griffin
2. DeJuan Blair
3. Tyler Hansbrough
4. Jeff Adrien
5. Sam Young

Versatility:

1. Terrence Williams
2. Earl Clark
3. James Johnson
4. Tyreke Evans
5. Derrick Brown

Basketball IQ:

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Stephen Curry
3. James Harden
4. Eric Maynor
5. Tyler Hansbrough

Big Personalities:

1. DeJuan Blair
2. Hasheem Thabeet
3. Brandon Jennings
4. Terrence Williams
5. James Harden

Best Potential:

1. Blake Griffin
2. Brandon Jennings
3. Demar Derozan
4. Jordan Hill
5. Ricky Rubio

High Risk/Reward:

1. Brandon Jennings
2. Demar Derozan
3. Hasheem Thabeet
4. Earl Clark
5. BJ Mullens

Low Risk:

1. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/brandon-jenningsBlake Griffin
2. http://www.nbadraft.net/players/demar-derozanJames Harden
3. Eric Maynor
4. Tyler Hansbrough
5. Sam Young

Overrated:

1. Jrue Holiday
2. Tyreke Evans
3. Austin Daye
4. Stephen Curry
5. Nick Calathes

1st Round Sleepers:

1. Wayne Ellington
2. Earl Clark
3. James Johnson
4. Brandon Jennings
5. Jeff Teague

2nd Round Sleepers:

1. Victor Claver
2. Jermaine Taylor
3. Dionte Christmas
4. Tyrese Rice
5. Sergio Llull

Free Agent Gems (Likely Undrafted):

1. Robert Vaden
2. Courtney Fells
3. Alonzo Gee
4. Russell Hicks
5. Luke Nevill

%+$% I'm still waiting for AirJapan21 to return and give an explaination as to why he compared Kevin Love to Antawn Jamison
roll.gif

Meeks isn't a top 5 shooter in this draft?

As we get ready for a new week around these parts, I talked to a couple of people close to Jodie Meeks this weekend and both said that Meeks has been given assurances that he will get a guaranteed deal next season. That can of course come in one of two different ways, either by a first round selection (by rule) or an early second round pick with a guaranteed deal given by the team. According to both people, Meeks believes he will be taken by one of two teams at the end of the first round (Bulls and Timberwolves look to be the favorites) and has two teams in the second round that have told him if picked, he will get a contract. Both of these sources are solid, and I think that if true, this helps explain a lot of Jodie's ultimate decision.

Back
Top Bottom