delete

Knicks beating the bulls? We rewriting history now? As I recall not just jordan, but Miller owned the knicks too.

Originally Posted by quik1987

Originally Posted by PRIME

Originally Posted by LA Lakers 8

True, but it goes both ways. Without Kobe or Wade, Shaq would have zero as well.

Without Pippen, how many rings would MJ have? Not 6.
Yeah, but his point is, Kobe got 2 more without Shaq. 
Shaq needed a young slasher to get rings, while of course both Kobe and Wade needed a dominant big man, but Kobe has shown that even without a HOF big man, he could still get the job done with the pieces he was given. 

Shaq has had Penny, Kobe, Wade, Lebron, AND the big 3 in Boston and could't get it done after Miami. 

Kobe kept it going, Shaq (with age working against him) had a shorter Championship run. 

But either way, they all needed each other. 

But the whole point of this thread is that it's in Jordan's era.

You think the team that Kobe beat the Magic and Celtics with could beat the 96-98 bulls?
What kind of stupid questions is this? Both teams were coached by Phil Jackson..
and yea.. he'd do fine in MJ's era..

Put prime 25 years old Kobe in the Knicks or the Jazz as the Starting 2 guard. Bulls won't win 6 rings

Kobe would do just fine, although Jordan would still be the better player. Kobe has always had all-star/superstar caliber center on his side in his championships (Shaq, Gasol, Bynum) whereas Jordan did not, especially in an era where there were far more great centers in the league. And a huge key to a championship team is post play- look at the winners from the past ten years and you can see that the common trend to those teams are that they had great interior play, whether it was Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, etc. I've always felt this way and nothing will change that.

Someone already hit on it in this thread, but back then there was very little social media and a lot of things went behind-the-scenes; players weren't under as much scrutiny as much as they are now. I do wonder how Jordan would be if he came into the game 10 years later, when a lot of his personal life !%%% would leak into the media.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Lol. Kobe might've f'ed around and won 7 in a row.

What are you saying?!?! Choose your words wisely.
nerd.gif
I'm saying it! You put Kobe in his prime on those Bulls teams and the results are the same, except he's not dumb enough to take a year off to go try baseball lol.
if you asked me this like a year ago i would have disagreed but the way that bulls team was built? i agree now. that was a player like kobe's dream team. defense to hold your opponents to a small amount of ppg, having arguably the best defender in the league by your side, and free will to shoot. and if you HAD to pass it off as a last resort you always had a spot up shooter who could knock down that big 3.

I think if Kobe played in MJ's era, it would come down to a mental battle, who has more mental toughness to be the better player, Kobe or MJ? They are both tough as nails. Anybody remember Kobe dropping like 34 on MJ as a backup rookie?

Phil is coaching the Bulls right?
Ok then he wouldn't fare well at all

Kobe - Phil = The Struggle 

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Put prime 25 years old Kobe in the Jazz as the Starting 2 guard. Bulls won't win 6 rings

I would hope 3 HOFs in their prime could knock off Jordan & Scottie
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NobleKane

nerd.gif
I'm saying it! You put Kobe in his prime on those Bulls teams and the results are the same, except he's not dumb enough to take a year off to go try baseball lol.
if you asked me this like a year ago i would have disagreed but the way that bulls team was built? i agree now. that was a player like kobe's dream team. defense to hold your opponents to a small amount of ppg, having arguably the best defender in the league by your side, and free will to shoot. and if you HAD to pass it off as a last resort you always had a spot up shooter who could knock down that big 3.
I can't agree with this at all... Jordan's game was so simple and it allowed him to dominate the game like a center off the strength of his triple threat/jab/drive or post up/shoot... Kobe is a better skilled player/better handle but he doesn't consistently dominate like MJ... FG% speaks for this
I also don't think Kobe inspires people the same way Jordan does... particularly his teammates, I doubt years from now people will still be buying Kobe's shoes like they do with J's... Jordan has the charisma Kobe just doesn't have (probably clouding my judgment a little, but still...)

I don't see the Bulls getting past the Knicks if you replace Starks with Kobe

Originally Posted by 0cks

Originally Posted by NobleKane

nerd.gif
I can't agree with this at all... Jordan's game was so simple and it allowed him to dominate the game like a center off the strength of his triple threat/jab/drive or post up/shoot... Kobe is a better skilled player/better handle but he doesn't consistently dominate like MJ... FG% speaks for this
I also don't think Kobe inspires people the same way Jordan does... particularly his teammates, I doubt years from now people will still be buying Kobe's shoes like they do with J's... Jordan has the charisma Kobe just doesn't have (probably clouding my judgment a little, but still...)

I don't see the Bulls getting past the Knicks if you replace Starks with Kobe

Shoes are not part of the equation here and how can you judge how someone inspires another? That's not a measurable thing and it's also something you can't know unless you play with them. These guys are two different people and they may inspire teammates in different ways. Whichever way they inspire, they both produced wins and championships.

But you don't think Jordan has more charisma than Kobe? Do you think Robert Horry was hitting big shots because he was scared of a 23 y/o Kobe's wrath? I think you can use the shoe game as a signal relative to inspiration of others... you think Phil Jackson is gonna make a Gatorade commercial for Kobe's bacon cheeseburger food poisoning game in Sac-town?

I don't really feel Kobe will leave a void people are gonna feel a need to fill like Mike did...

That argument is incredibly idiotic. There are so many different factors and none of then have anything to do with on court play.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

That argument is incredibly idiotic. There are so many different factors and none of then have anything to do with on court play.
You think Kobe is able to mold Scottie into the same player Mike was able to?

I think Scottie molded Scottie into the player he was. And you were talking about shoes/popularity like that means anything. Pippen is grown and was great without Jordan.

You think Kobe is able to mold Scottie into the same player Mike was able to?
First off, you bringing up shoes just shows how much of a homer you are.
Second, Pippen averaged 24 a game as a senior, was a 5th pick, and Jordan had no team success until Pippen got on board. And when MJ left, Pippen was arguably the best player in the league. Lastly, just to play devil's advocate - MJ never won without Pippen. 

For years people said Kobe couldn't win without Shaq...then the Lakers picked up a 7 footer who never got out of the 1st round and beat 4, arguably 5 Hall of Famers to back to back rings (Dwight, Celtics big 3, and more than likely Rondo if he sustains).

Kobe's footwork, IQ, shooting ability, and competitiveness = he would do work in any era. 

Did you know who Shannon Brown, Ariza were before Kobe? Kobe helped both of them with their shooting. Kobe didn't toughen Pau up after the 08 debacle? I mean he's not punching players in the face like MJ was but Kobe leads by example and does things on the side that tell me he's an inspiring leader. Why did D Fish want to go back to LA? Why do all of Kobe's former and present teammates, sans Smushcalde, go on record to say he's the best player/teammate possible? 

Anyone who thinks Kobe would even regress in the 80s or 90s is senile...talent is talent, and some talents transcend...just like MJ would do work in today's era, Kobe would definitely drop 28-30 a game any year.

I bring up the shoes because I'm trying to make a correlation between inspiring people off the basketball court and inspiring people on the court... shoes sales is a measurable, charisma is not... so instead of just trying to state an opinion as fact I brought up something that can be quantified, that's all...

It's pretty well agreed on in the basketball realm that MJ made Pippen into what he became... abused him like a battered wife and then built him up to show he cared
laugh.gif

What I don't agree with is that Kobe would have done what Mike did with his Bulls team, but if you think Kobe is Mike's equal or he's even better than MJ I don't know what else to say...

FTR I don't think Kobe is MJ. But I do think that it's close enough where it would not have mattered if u subbed Kobe for MJ.

MJ molded Scottie? What does that even mean?

MJ is my favorite player of all time but goddamn I think he has transcended to being a GOD in some people's minds.
laugh.gif

I swear Scottie will always be disrespected

I think Scottie molded Scottie into the player he was.

Sorry to say you know nothing then.  Everyone around the Bulls org has went on record to state that Mike everyday in practice along with having to go through that Detroit team made Scottie into the player he evolved into.

Notice you said Detroit? Come on yall have got to be serious, Jordan did NOT MAKE Pippen. He was going to be great period. End of story....just because we want to use any and everything to elevate this man to god status doesn't mean Scottie wasn't in the gym on his own free will. Sheesh. Jordan made him an athletic wing that could lock down pretty much any position?

What I don't agree with is that Kobe would have done what Mike did with his Bulls team, but if you think Kobe is Mike's equal or he's even better than MJ I don't know what else to say...

This is what it boils down to with saying that the Bulls would win 6-7 with Bean instead of Cat

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

Lastly, just to play devil's advocate - MJ never won without Pippen. 
roll.gif
as if losing to Bird Mchale & Parrish is a knock on your career when all you had was Orlando Woolridge & Quintin Dailey.

What people forget or purposely didn't mention is the Bulls had a bunch of veterans and great shooters. They might not have a legit all star center but they did have great role players and pure shooters around Pip and MJ

And MJ have two great HOFer perimeter defender/rebounder name Pippen and Rodman . MJ didn't have to do much on the perimeter as far as guarding the other team best perimeter player night in and night out.

If you put Kobe on the 90s Knicks or Jazz. The 90s won't be the same. Malone and Ewing would have got at least 2 rings each 

Back
Top Bottom