Destiny Thread (Bungie) - 9/9/14

Someone mentioned u could just post up behind his original spot above the cleansing pool? How?

I know that there was one way where u wipe and then only send one person down with the relic and everyone else snipes. And there's also another way of putting 2 titans and there shields on the teleporting spots?

Any other strategies?

Solar burn for this week makes it super easy to solo the nightfall. All you need is VoC + Icebreaker and you're set. I tried the Vex post patch and it's lookly pretty good to use again

Last edited:
My Ballerhorn smiles at solar burn this week. Voc peruns fire and Ballerhorn. This should be fun.

so, post-buff opinion.

pocket infinity: now charges lightning fast. must be unintended because the charge stat didnt change. the 5 shots perk is useless because you cant hit anything with the stability removed. with a charge time this fast, its much better to have 3 shots anyways

super good advice: still trash. has no business being an exotic. stability boost works well but still doesnt offset lack of range nd impact. theres at least 5 better machine guns that are legendary

invective: monster. but they shouldnt have touched the fire rate

truth: ABSOLUTE MONSTER. perfect.

vex: still trash. tested it out and was doing 84 crits on level 4 vandals lol (granted my vex isnt maxed, its 2 levels from being maxed). based was next to me doing 400+ per shot in the meantime with the thorn.

buying materials =

14_medium.gif

$34 for DLC that's ON DISC, does it come with a real world ascendart shard, jesus man :x

Wait what? Amazon says it's just a download code. I'm about to buy the expansion pass today for both, does it matter where you get it? Bonuses?

so, post-buff opinion.

pocket infinity: now charges lightning fast. must be unintended because the charge stat didnt change. the 5 shots perk is useless because you cant hit anything with the stability removed. with a charge time this fast, its much better to have 3 shots anyways

super good advice: still trash. has no business being an exotic. stability boost works well but still doesnt offset lack of range nd impact. theres at least 5 better machine guns that are legendary

invective: monster. but they shouldnt have touched the fire rate

truth: ABSOLUTE MONSTER. perfect.

vex: still trash. tested it out and was doing 84 crits on level 4 vandals lol (granted my vex isnt maxed, its 2 levels from being maxed). based was next to me doing 400+ per shot in the meantime with the thorn.

buying materials =
14_medium.gif

Not to burst your bubble but initial analysis post patch is that during the time that the Vex has ammo, because it runs out way too fast, it has by far the highest potential DPS weapon. The reason is since it's a fusion rifle, armor ratings of mobs do not affect how much damage it does like it would to a scout, AR, or pulse. Wrightone was doing 650 crits yesterday in the daily with his fully leveled one and I was doing 450 with mine, and I didn't even have the first damage bubble unlocked. There is also the 15% damage buff from the second perk bubble that increases it that much more. The VoC, which right now would be considered the highest DPS Scout has a potential damage per second (DPS) of 900 while the Vex was calculated at close to 1100 DPS.

What hurts the Vex is the obvious low ammo, even with the field scout-like perk, and its lack of stability which results in missing crit spots more often than lets say a VoC.

Link to the analysis. It doesn't compare the Timepiece or the Epilogue unfortunately, but it's easy to assume that the VoC would be highest due to the 8% damage boost all scouts received from the patch a few weeks ago.

Edit;

Your analysis is flawed because you look at burst DPS only. It's cool that you are doing 84 while Based is doing 450 but they are different weapons. If the Vex had 9 bullets in the magazine it wouldn't be doing the same damage, but actually more since the armor of the mob would be irrelevant. Sure, the thorn is better for trash, but that can be argued and debated based on the skills of the player using the guns.

Last edited:
Not to burst your bubble but initial analysis post patch is that during the time that the Vex has ammo, because it runs out way too fast, it has by far the highest potential DPS weapon. The reason is since it's a fusion rifle, armor ratings of mobs do not affect how much damage it does like it would to a scout, AR, or pulse. Wrightone was doing 650 crits yesterday in the daily with his fully leveled one and I was doing 450 with mine, and I didn't even have the first damage bubble unlocked. There is also the 15% damage buff from the second perk bubble that increases it that much more. The VoC, which right now would be considered the highest DPS Scout has a potential damage per second (DPS) of 900 while the Vex was calculated at close to 1100 DPS.

What hurts the Vex is the obvious low ammo, even with the field scout-like perk, and its lack of stability which results in missing crit spots more often than lets say a VoC.

Link to the analysis. It doesn't compare the Timepiece or the Epilogue unfortunately, but it's easy to assume that the VoC would be highest due to the 8% damage boost all scouts received from the patch a few weeks ago.

im gonna be honest. i have no ide what youre talking about. all i know, is when i pull the trigger, a number comes off. that number was a mere 84 on a level 4 character. but, i was open and read your link.

"HOWEVER. The recoil on the Vex means that theoretical DPS will rarely be hit in practice. Keeping the Vex on target for crit chains on Atheon, for example, is MUCH, MUCH harder than it is with the VoC. If I can crit with 40% of my VoC shots and only rarely miss, but I'm lucky to make 20% crits when going full auto with the Vex (or if I'm having to burst and readjust)"

so....if you shot at full auto with the vex and landed every single shot as a crit... itd be the best gun however its not really possible? thats not a very realistic stat to use. i dunno where u were getting these 600+ damage shots at because they certainly werent here for me and based can cosign that. ill give it a second try later today on a level 24 strike and see if theres a difference. obviously i cant judge off the solarburn missions.

maybe i was just holding it wrong, word to steve jobs

Last edited:
im gonna be honest. i have no ide what youre talking about. all i know, is when i pull the trigger, a number comes off. that number was a mere 84 on a level 4 character. but, i was open and read your link.

"HOWEVER. The recoil on the Vex means that theoretical DPS will rarely be hit in practice. Keeping the Vex on target for crit chains on Atheon, for example, is MUCH, MUCH harder than it is with the VoC. If I can crit with 40% of my VoC shots and only rarely miss, but I'm lucky to make 20% crits when going full auto with the Vex (or if I'm having to burst and readjust)"

so....if you shot at full auto with the vex and landed every single shot as a crit... itd be the best gun however its not really possible? thats not a very realistic stat to use. i dunno where u were getting these 600+ damage shots at because they certainly werent here for me and based can cosign that. ill give it a second try later today on a level 24 strike and see if theres a difference. obviously i cant judge off the solarburn missions.

maybe i was just holding it wrong, word to steve jobs

Don't take this the wrong way Tek, but this is exactly why every analysis of weapons you make I take with a grain of salt or less. You look purely on the numbers you see rather than what the raw numbers speak and what the potential is. You don't come from a math/quant background like I do and that is fine. Everything in this game, damage wise, is put into an algorithm. It takes into account the # of bullets in a magazine, the damage on the weapon, the armor rating of the mob you are attacking, and some other stats that we don't fully understand and you get your results or the final damage output. The impact of the weapon, which I know to you means a lot, it determined mostly by the number of bullets in the magazine and the rate of fire. The higher rate of fire and number of bullets in a magazine results in the lower the impact. But that doesn't mean that a Shadow Price does more damage than an epilogue just because it staggers the mob more and the numbers are higher that you see. During a full 1-3 magazines the damages will equal out unless there is some sort of perk like a comedian or bottom half of a magazine does more damage.

Damage per second (DPS) is the quint essential stat when it comes to killing things in all MMOs. And don't kid yourself, this game has enough elements to label it at least 30% MMO, DPS is one of those stats that did get pushed into this game. How much damage can you put out in as little time as possible. This isn't that big of a deal on trash mobs as they die quickly, but on long boss battles, lets say Aetheon when you are learning the encounter, if you don't have the DPS is down him in 4 transitions you will wipe because he enrages. DPS is also calculated over a long time frame, 30 seconds minimum but more realistically encounters that can take over 60 seconds. It's sustained damage over time.

Last edited:
kan yall ***** talkin bout calculus and ish man, idgaf the vex aint hitting enemies like it's supposed to. That gun is the gun to get, people still cant beat the hard raid so they got it nerfed. i could care less for thst gun unless it gets another buff

Don't take this the wrong way Tek, but this is exactly why every analysis of weapons you make I take with a grain of salt or less. You look purely on the numbers you see rather than what the raw numbers speak and what the potential is. You don't come from a math/quant background like I do and that is fine. Everything in this game, damage wise, is put into an algorithm. It takes into account the # of bullets in a magazine, the damage on the weapon, the armor rating of the mob you are attacking, and some other stats that we don't fully understand and you get your results or the final damage output. The impact of the weapon, which I know to you means a lot, it determined mostly by the number of bullets in the magazine and the rate of fire. The higher rate of fire and number of bullets in a magazine results in the lower the impact. But that doesn't mean that a Shadow Price does more damage than an epilogue just because it staggers the mob more and the numbers are higher that you see. During a full 1-3 magazines the damages will equal out unless there is some sort of perk like a comedian or bottom half of a magazine does more damage.

Damage per second (DPS) is the quint essential stat when it comes to killing things in all MMOs. And don't kid yourself, this game has enough elements to label it at least 30% MMO, DPS is one of those stats that did get pushed into this game. How much damage can you put out in as little time as possible. This isn't that big of a deal on trash mobs as they die quickly, but on long boss battles, lets say Aetheon when you are learning the encounter, if you don't have the DPS is down him in 4 transitions you will wipe because he enrages. DPS is also calculated over a long time frame, 30 seconds minimum but more realistically encounters that can take over 60 seconds. It's sustained damage over time.
i understand all of that. and ur right i dont come from a math background. nor am i an mmo player. and yes i go by the numbers i see, not potential. i dont believe potential to be a real world stat in any case ever anywhere. to say i COULD do this... but dont... is useless. I get that you and the redditors use dps alot. In my opinion, there are only a handful of situations where dps matters. The only time DPS even becomes a factor is on bosses since pretty much all other enemies get killed in a couple shots. And for some reason redditors always cite "clearing a mob" for damage analysis. how many mobs do you guys run into in this game? cuz the only one i really remember was the "we've awoken the hive" mob. Other than that, its 3 waves of enemies that are well spaced out which negates DPS since youre constantly hitting different enemies. Or am i wrong to think that?

example: phogoth. dps matters when ur concentrating on hitting phogoth. the problem is, ur getting NAILED by everything else around him so. realistically u can shoot phogoth for MAYBE 3 seconds straight before having to shoot at wizard #1 2 and 3. then dodging the knights. then go back to shooting phogoth for a second or 2. your dps got spread out. in boss battles, id rather every bullet take a chunk off his life, than hope i can sustain fire on him for 10 seconds straight....

atheon is where that changes and thats only because hes the only boss in the entire game where sustained fire is a key part to winning. they give u 30 seconds to concentrate on him with every pass. THEN dps comes into play. but thats literally 1 boss battle, out of like 6 sections in a raid, which only makes up 5% of the game in the first place right now....

I look at pve and hit enemies to measure damage. then i look at it in pvp to see how many shots it takes for headshots and body. numbers re cool and all... but all that matters are results my man.

Last edited:
i understand all of that. and ur right i dont come from a math background. nor am i an mmo player. and yes i go by the numbers i see, not potential. i dont believe potential to be a real world stat in any case ever anywhere. to say i COULD do this... but dont... is useless. I get that you and the redditors use dps alot. In my opinion, there are only a handful of situations where dps matters. The only time DPS even becomes a factor is on bosses since pretty much all other enemies get killed in a couple shots. And for some reason redditors always cite "clearing a mob" for damage analysis. how many mobs do you guys run into in this game? cuz the only one i really remember was the "we've awoken the hive" mob. Other than that, its 3 waves of enemies that are well spaced out which negates DPS since youre constantly hitting different enemies. Or am i wrong to think that?

example: phogoth. dps matters when ur concentrating on hitting phogoth. the problem is, ur getting NAILED by everything else around him so. realistically u can shoot phogoth for MAYBE 3 seconds straight before having to shoot at wizard #1 2 and 3. then dodging the knights. then go back to shooting phogoth for a second or 2. your dps got spread out. in boss battles, id rather every bullet take a chunk off his life, than hope i can sustain fire on him for 10 seconds straight....

atheon is where that changes and thats only because hes the only boss in the entire game where sustained fire is a key part to winning. they give u 30 seconds to concentrate on him with every pass. THEN dps comes into play. but thats literally 1 boss battle, out of like 6 sections in a raid, which only makes up 5% of the game in the first place right now....

I look at pve and hit enemies to measure damage. then i look at it in pvp to see how many shots it takes for headshots and body. numbers re cool and all... but all that matters are results my man.

It's a different way of thinking true and each depends on playstyle and what you are doing. When I run around and kill random mobs in the cosmodrome or mars I prefer my Hawkmoon for example. But when I run raids I will go to a VoC because that is the highest impact/damage, I can catch the most crit shots, and I like to keep my distance from mobs.

But I'm telling you, during the level 28 daily Wright was doing 650 crits with a fully leveled Vex and I was doing 450 with a base one on fallen. It definitely hits a lot harder than it use to. Always remember to base your results when you do damage on enemies that you can see the full damage, so a minimum level 24 mob is the best for that. We were in party chat and talking about it.

Last edited:
It's a different way of thinking true and each depends on playstyle and what you are doing. When I run around and kill random mobs in the cosmodrome or mars I prefer my Hawkmoon for example. But when I run raids I will go to a VoC because that is the highest impact/damage, I can catch the most crit shots, and I like to keep my distance from mobs.

But I'm telling you, during the level 28 daily Wright was doing 650 crits with a fully leveled Vex and I was doing 450 with a base one on fallen. It definitely hits a lot harder than it use to. Always remember to base your results when you do damage on enemies that you can see the full damage, so a minimum level 24 mob is the best for that. We were in party chat and talking about it.
ill have to try again later then cuz i was on fail status yesterday in the cosmodrome and the sepiks and nexus strike. it was straight up WIMPY lol. so if i can get those numbers ill actually be happy with the gun

Last edited:
Man... Seeing my Vex at 323 attack though :pimp:

Honestly, the Vex is just a collectors item for me.. Got it on my very first hard raid, maxed it, rarely use it except for solar burn and fusion rifle bounty.

Decided I wasn't going to make a Hunter, so I dismantled 2 exotic helmets I had and got my first 2 exotic shards :pimp:

Man... Seeing my Vex at 323 attack though
pimp.gif

Honestly, the Vex is just a collectors item for me.. Got it on my very first hard raid, maxed it, rarely use it except for solar burn and fusion rifle bounty.

Decided I wasn't going to make a Hunter, so I dismantled 2 exotic helmets I had and got my first 2 exotic shards
pimp.gif
i honestly never tried the fusion rifle bounty until i got the vex. but jeez man u got it on ur first hard raid?
sick.gif
disrespectfully lucky lol

man, i have no exotic armors to dismantle. i gott wait til friday to load up on ex-shards. word on the block is xur gonna sell the gjallarhorn on friday... for 300 coins.

Back
Top Bottom