Did Jordan play in a watered down era ?

Is this real life? 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Today's era with the lack of big men is the most watered down era since 1980.

Every time I look at the list of today's centers, I shake my head. The best center is great, but nothing compared to the best centers of the 90s and 80s.. But the real shock comes when is when you look at whoever the second best center is.
And another example of how Jordan had the luxury of roaming around free because other than the big men. The guards were inferior and present no competition to Jordan

roll.gif

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Today's era with the lack of big men is the most watered down era since 1980.

Every time I look at the list of today's centers, I shake my head. The best center is great, but nothing compared to the best centers of the 90s and 80s.. But the real shock comes when is when you look at whoever the second best center is.
And another example of how Jordan had the luxury of roaming around free because other than the big men. The guards were inferior and present no competition to Jordan

roll.gif

Then I said you can argue that today guards are better than 90s guards. Drexler, Penny, Richmond, Reggie are not in the same league as Lebron, Kobe, Wade, VC, AI, Tmac

With the exception of Bron and Wade, all the players you listed were drafted in the 90s and played against Jordan...
...what we talkin' bout here? 
laugh.gif

Then I said you can argue that today guards are better than 90s guards. Drexler, Penny, Richmond, Reggie are not in the same league as Lebron, Kobe, Wade, VC, AI, Tmac

With the exception of Bron and Wade, all the players you listed were drafted in the 90s and played against Jordan...
...what we talkin' bout here? 
laugh.gif

Yeah, it was a watered down era. Especially that Jazz squad the Bulls beat for their Final 2. Same can be said about the Pacers group that pushed them to 7. Those teams would be lucky to grab the 8th seed if they were playing in 2012.

Really, though... what was so "might weak" about the West?

Guards, wings, forwards now>>>>> of the 80's

Centers 90's>>>>>

Lebron, Wade, Kobe, CP, Melo, Durant, Dirk would put in work in the 90's

Yeah, it was a watered down era. Especially that Jazz squad the Bulls beat for their Final 2. Same can be said about the Pacers group that pushed them to 7. Those teams would be lucky to grab the 8th seed if they were playing in 2012.

Really, though... what was so "might weak" about the West?

Guards, wings, forwards now>>>>> of the 80's

Centers 90's>>>>>

Lebron, Wade, Kobe, CP, Melo, Durant, Dirk would put in work in the 90's

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

You want an answer?

No.
How so ? There were no team anywhere close to being as dominant as the Bulls
So the Showtime Lakers era was watered down?

Don't forget, Jordan was playing for MOST of the 80s too...

Of course no team was as dominant as the Bulls, they were one of the best teams ever made.
laugh.gif

Watered down? Plenty of Hall of Famers would love to have a word with the doubters.

Joe Dumars. Isiah. Magic. An older Dr. J. Bird. Moses. McHale. Clyde. Dantley. English. Worthy. An older Kareem. Ralph Sampson.  Dominique Wilkins. Dennis Rodman. Mutombo. Ewing. Dream. Zo. Hardaway. Hill. Penny. Admiral. Charles. Stockton. Payton. Malone. Ewing. Young Shaq (which is quite frankly the scary Shaq). Laimbeer. Gilmore. Brad Daugherty. Mullin. Eaton. Kevin Johnson. John Starks. Reggie Miller. Bernard King. Kevin Willis. Thunder Dan. Jeff Hornacek. Oakley. etc.

No. All of these guys aren't Hall of Famers. But a BUNCH are.

I don't see how you can make an argument.

We're not talking about the center position. Im talking about teams overall. You can say the same thing about the guard of today vs guard of the 90s. Today guards are way better

Guards in what sense? There are a ton of great PGs right now. Yes. But, let's have their careers play out before we anoint them. There were lots of great PGs in the 80s and 90s too. The best.

SGs? Definitely not. Name me some Hall-of-Fame SGs not named Wade or Kobe. Tough list to come up with.

Roamed free? You think someone would stop Jordan now? Defenses were tougher, more physical back then. You can't even touch LeBron James or Wade in today's NBA game.

Jordan is 2 inches taller than Gary and was way more atheltic. And beside Gary , who else was worthy of being good enough ? Clearly Jordan had it easy at his position

Wait, Gary Payton was the only player he played against?
roll.gif

Moncrief, DJ, McHale, Cooper, Joe D, Dennis Rodman, Buck Williams, Mookie.

Who has been worthy of guarding Kobe or Wade? You can try to name guys like Raja Bell, but...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

You want an answer?

No.
How so ? There were no team anywhere close to being as dominant as the Bulls
So the Showtime Lakers era was watered down?

Don't forget, Jordan was playing for MOST of the 80s too...

Of course no team was as dominant as the Bulls, they were one of the best teams ever made.
laugh.gif

Watered down? Plenty of Hall of Famers would love to have a word with the doubters.

Joe Dumars. Isiah. Magic. An older Dr. J. Bird. Moses. McHale. Clyde. Dantley. English. Worthy. An older Kareem. Ralph Sampson.  Dominique Wilkins. Dennis Rodman. Mutombo. Ewing. Dream. Zo. Hardaway. Hill. Penny. Admiral. Charles. Stockton. Payton. Malone. Ewing. Young Shaq (which is quite frankly the scary Shaq). Laimbeer. Gilmore. Brad Daugherty. Mullin. Eaton. Kevin Johnson. John Starks. Reggie Miller. Bernard King. Kevin Willis. Thunder Dan. Jeff Hornacek. Oakley. etc.

No. All of these guys aren't Hall of Famers. But a BUNCH are.

I don't see how you can make an argument.

We're not talking about the center position. Im talking about teams overall. You can say the same thing about the guard of today vs guard of the 90s. Today guards are way better

Guards in what sense? There are a ton of great PGs right now. Yes. But, let's have their careers play out before we anoint them. There were lots of great PGs in the 80s and 90s too. The best.

SGs? Definitely not. Name me some Hall-of-Fame SGs not named Wade or Kobe. Tough list to come up with.

Roamed free? You think someone would stop Jordan now? Defenses were tougher, more physical back then. You can't even touch LeBron James or Wade in today's NBA game.

Jordan is 2 inches taller than Gary and was way more atheltic. And beside Gary , who else was worthy of being good enough ? Clearly Jordan had it easy at his position

Wait, Gary Payton was the only player he played against?
roll.gif

Moncrief, DJ, McHale, Cooper, Joe D, Dennis Rodman, Buck Williams, Mookie.

Who has been worthy of guarding Kobe or Wade? You can try to name guys like Raja Bell, but...
laugh.gif

^^ Couldn't disagree with you more about those Pacers teams. They would give fits to teams today.

^^ Couldn't disagree with you more about those Pacers teams. They would give fits to teams today.

Dude is the biggest Kobe sucker in this whole forum and that says something, don't even answer this thread
laugh.gif

This is a complex kinda question. Cause in mj era the top best dominant players were mostly in the big man dept. I mean you had some great guards but todays guards overall>jordan era. I mean yea you have richmond, rice, etc but like another said kobe, lebron, ai, wade, a good majority of the top guards in this era will be 1st or 2nd hof or even top 50 players.

And if you look at the standings from his era the west was pretty weak and the east was the more dominant conference, and even the east had basically 4 or so legit teams that could make a serious run and the rest well...... Also again like someone stated most of the dominant teams where teams that where aging and one foot out the door. And alot of other teams where in transition to become a good great team.

As far as the position jordan played, he was in an era where just off athletism alone he was sheer dominant heads and shoulders above the rest. With maybe the exception of nique and a few other players.

With all that being said if the bulls of that era played in todays game i cant honestly say they would win 6 chips esp in the fashion they did with 2 3peats. I doubt they would dominate against the spurs/lakers etc or mavs or any of the other dominant teams 6 times in a course of 10 years.

I have no doubt lakers esp with kobe and shaq or the spurs wouldve got a few rings. And ppl say the handcheck etc rules shouldnt factor, but they indeed should. It takes alot more athletism defensive skill set to guard a man without the use of holding him back or cutting him off ala a hand check. And they lack of moving screens that were called, and lets not forget the infamous "jordan rules". To many varibles to just right off the back say yes or no.

OP for someone who was apparently asking a question to the group seeking opinions you sure seem to want to go against any points against the side you already have taken.

You have many people in here who are older now and were solid viewers of the Jordan era and call tell you what went on.

One can argue which "era" is better.....the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, today, etc. No one will probably really ever know the answer. But if the question is whether Jordan's second half of his career was "watered down" well then your answer is a simple no and anyone who argues for that is simply 17 years old.

Dude is the biggest Kobe sucker in this whole forum and that says something, don't even answer this thread
laugh.gif

This is a complex kinda question. Cause in mj era the top best dominant players were mostly in the big man dept. I mean you had some great guards but todays guards overall>jordan era. I mean yea you have richmond, rice, etc but like another said kobe, lebron, ai, wade, a good majority of the top guards in this era will be 1st or 2nd hof or even top 50 players.

And if you look at the standings from his era the west was pretty weak and the east was the more dominant conference, and even the east had basically 4 or so legit teams that could make a serious run and the rest well...... Also again like someone stated most of the dominant teams where teams that where aging and one foot out the door. And alot of other teams where in transition to become a good great team.

As far as the position jordan played, he was in an era where just off athletism alone he was sheer dominant heads and shoulders above the rest. With maybe the exception of nique and a few other players.

With all that being said if the bulls of that era played in todays game i cant honestly say they would win 6 chips esp in the fashion they did with 2 3peats. I doubt they would dominate against the spurs/lakers etc or mavs or any of the other dominant teams 6 times in a course of 10 years.

I have no doubt lakers esp with kobe and shaq or the spurs wouldve got a few rings. And ppl say the handcheck etc rules shouldnt factor, but they indeed should. It takes alot more athletism defensive skill set to guard a man without the use of holding him back or cutting him off ala a hand check. And they lack of moving screens that were called, and lets not forget the infamous "jordan rules". To many varibles to just right off the back say yes or no.

OP for someone who was apparently asking a question to the group seeking opinions you sure seem to want to go against any points against the side you already have taken.

You have many people in here who are older now and were solid viewers of the Jordan era and call tell you what went on.

One can argue which "era" is better.....the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, today, etc. No one will probably really ever know the answer. But if the question is whether Jordan's second half of his career was "watered down" well then your answer is a simple no and anyone who argues for that is simply 17 years old.

JA, none of those guys are any good at basketball. Jordan was out there playing against fire hydrants most of the time. If he were playing at that age nowadays, he'd barely sniff the playoffs every year. He'd be competing with Melo and T-Mac for most first round exits.

JA, none of those guys are any good at basketball. Jordan was out there playing against fire hydrants most of the time. If he were playing at that age nowadays, he'd barely sniff the playoffs every year. He'd be competing with Melo and T-Mac for most first round exits.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Back
Top Bottom