Did Jordan play in a watered down era ?

Originally Posted by LDJ

This is a complex kinda question. Cause in mj era the top best dominant players were mostly in the big man dept. I mean you had some great guards but todays guards overall>jordan era. I mean yea you have richmond, rice, etc but like another said kobe, lebron, ai, wade, a good majority of the top guards in this era will be 1st or 2nd hof or even top 50 players.

And if you look at the standings from his era the west was pretty weak and the east was the more dominant conference, and even the east had basically 4 or so legit teams that could make a serious run and the rest well...... Also again like someone stated most of the dominant teams where teams that where aging and one foot out the door. And alot of other teams where in transition to become a good great team.

As far as the position jordan played, he was in an era where just off athletism alone he was sheer dominant heads and shoulders above the rest. With maybe the exception of nique and a few other players.

With all that being said if the bulls of that era played in todays game i cant honestly say they would win 6 chips esp in the fashion they did with 2 3peats. I doubt they would dominate against the spurs/lakers etc or mavs or any of the other dominant teams 6 times in a course of 10 years.

I have no doubt lakers esp with kobe and shaq or the spurs wouldve got a few rings. And ppl say the handcheck etc rules shouldnt factor, but they indeed should. It takes alot more athletism defensive skill set to guard a man without the use of holding him back or cutting him off ala a hand check. And they lack of moving screens that were called, and lets not forget the infamous "jordan rules". To many varibles to just right off the back say yes or no.

Yeah, it was a watered down era. Especially that Jazz squad the Bulls beat for their Final 2. Same can be said about the Pacers group that pushed them to 7. Those teams would be lucky to grab the 8th seed if they were playing in 2012.

Malone and Stockton? Two arguably Top-three position players?

Reggie? Smits? Mullin? Jalen? Mark Jackson? Antonio Davis? I mean I guess...

Guards, wings, forwards now>>>>> of the 80's

Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Durant, CP3 >>>> Jordan, Drexler, Isiah, Magic, Bird, Pippen, Stockton?

I'm sorry but Jordan, Magic, and Bird >>> Anything. Ever.

Yeah, it was a watered down era. Especially that Jazz squad the Bulls beat for their Final 2. Same can be said about the Pacers group that pushed them to 7. Those teams would be lucky to grab the 8th seed if they were playing in 2012.

Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Durant, CP3 >>>> Jordan, Drexler, Isiah, Magic, Bird, Pippen, Stockton?

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

You want an answer?

No.
How so ? There were no team anywhere close to being as dominant as the Bulls
So the Showtime Lakers era was watered down?

Don't forget, Jordan was playing for MOST of the 80s too...

Of course no team was as dominant as the Bulls, they were one of the best teams ever made.
laugh.gif

Watered down? Plenty of Hall of Famers would love to have a word with the doubters.

Joe Dumars. Isiah. Magic. An older Dr. J. Bird. Moses. McHale. Clyde. Dantley. English. Worthy. An older Kareem. Ralph Sampson.  Dominique Wilkins. Dennis Rodman. Mutombo. Ewing. Dream. Zo. Hardaway. Hill. Penny. Admiral. Charles. Stockton. Payton. Malone. Ewing. Young Shaq (which is quite frankly the scary Shaq). Laimbeer. Gilmore. Brad Daugherty. Mullin. Eaton. Kevin Johnson. John Starks. Reggie Miller. Bernard King. Kevin Willis. Thunder Dan. Jeff Hornacek. Oakley. etc.

No. All of these guys aren't Hall of Famers. But a BUNCH are.

I don't see how you can make an argument.

We're not talking about the center position. Im talking about teams overall. You can say the same thing about the guard of today vs guard of the 90s. Today guards are way better

Guards in what sense? There are a ton of great PGs right now. Yes. But, let's have their careers play out before we anoint them. There were lots of great PGs in the 80s and 90s too. The best.

SGs? Definitely not. Name me some Hall-of-Fame SGs not named Wade or Kobe. Tough list to come up with.

And another example of how Jordan had the luxury of roaming around free because other than the big men. The guards were inferior and present no competition to Jordan

Roamed free? You think someone would stop Jordan now? Defenses were tougher, more physical back then. You can't even touch LeBron James or Wade in today's NBA game.

Jordan is 2 inches taller than Gary and was way more atheltic. And beside Gary , who else was worthy of being good enough ? Clearly Jordan had it easy at his position

Wait, Gary Payton was the only player he played against?
roll.gif

Moncrief, DJ, McHale, Cooper, Joe D, Dennis Rodman, Buck Williams, Mookie.

Who has been worthy of guarding Kobe or Wade? You can try to name guys like Raja Bell, but...
laugh.gif

When Jordan was playing for most of the 80s he didn't make it for 7 years because Piston, Boston and Lakers were dominated.

Watered down? Plenty of Hall of Famers would love to have a word with the doubters.

Joe Dumars. Isiah. Magic. An older Dr. J. Bird. Moses. McHale. Clyde. Dantley. English. Worthy. An older Kareem. Ralph Sampson.  Dominique Wilkins. Dennis Rodman. Mutombo. Ewing. Dream. Zo. Hardaway. Hill. Penny. Admiral. Charles. Stockton. Payton. Malone. Ewing. Young Shaq (which is quite frankly the scary Shaq). Laimbeer. Gilmore. Brad Daugherty. Mullin. Eaton. Kevin Johnson. John Starks. Reggie Miller. Bernard King. Kevin Willis. Thunder Dan. Jeff Hornacek. Oakley. etc.

Joe Dumar, Isiah, Magic, Bird, Moses, Worthy, Kareem were great 80s players but were more of washed up players when they were in the 90s. Hence my point Jordan only did it when those player were on the decline in the late 80s, early 90s. And then look at the competition and the SG, PG Jordan faced in the 90s. It's not even fair for other team lol. Jordan pretty much play undersized and unathletic SG and PG through out his careers

You want an answer?

No.
How so ? There were no team anywhere close to being as dominant as the Bulls
So the Showtime Lakers era was watered down?

Don't forget, Jordan was playing for MOST of the 80s too...

Of course no team was as dominant as the Bulls, they were one of the best teams ever made.
laugh.gif

I don't see how you can make an argument.

We're not talking about the center position. Im talking about teams overall. You can say the same thing about the guard of today vs guard of the 90s. Today guards are way better

Guards in what sense? There are a ton of great PGs right now. Yes. But, let's have their careers play out before we anoint them. There were lots of great PGs in the 80s and 90s too. The best.

SGs? Definitely not. Name me some Hall-of-Fame SGs not named Wade or Kobe. Tough list to come up with.

And another example of how Jordan had the luxury of roaming around free because other than the big men. The guards were inferior and present no competition to Jordan

Roamed free? You think someone would stop Jordan now? Defenses were tougher, more physical back then. You can't even touch LeBron James or Wade in today's NBA game.

Jordan is 2 inches taller than Gary and was way more atheltic. And beside Gary , who else was worthy of being good enough ? Clearly Jordan had it easy at his position

Wait, Gary Payton was the only player he played against?
roll.gif

Moncrief, DJ, McHale, Cooper, Joe D, Dennis Rodman, Buck Williams, Mookie.

Who has been worthy of guarding Kobe or Wade? You can try to name guys like Raja Bell, but...
laugh.gif

When Jordan was playing for most of the 80s he didn't make it for 7 years because Piston, Boston and Lakers were dominated.

Joe Dumar, Isiah, Magic, Bird, Moses, Worthy, Kareem were great 80s players but were more of washed up players when they were in the 90s. Hence my point Jordan only did it when those player were on the decline in the late 80s, early 90s. And then look at the competition and the SG, PG Jordan faced in the 90s. It's not even fair for other team lol. Jordan pretty much play undersized and unathletic SG and PG through out his careers

sarcasm01.jpg

Quote my whole post next time, guy...
Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Really, though... what was so "might weak" about the West?

sarcasm01.jpg

Quote my whole post next time, guy...
Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Really, though... what was so "might weak" about the West?

Originally Posted by Proshares

JA, none of those guys are any good at basketball. Jordan was out there playing against fire hydrants most of the time. If he were playing at that age nowadays, he'd barely sniff the playoffs every year. He'd be competing with Melo and T-Mac for most first round exits.
Wait what? Not good at basketball? What the hell? Am I losing my mind here?
laugh.gif

Rodman, Isiah, and the Pistons weren't good at basketball? Magic and those boys weren't good at basketball? The Celtics teams weren't good at basketball? Those 80s Celtics/Lakers/Pistons teams, that is what basketball is in my eyes.

Blazers, you're sneaky.
laugh.gif

JA, none of those guys are any good at basketball. Jordan was out there playing against fire hydrants most of the time. If he were playing at that age nowadays, he'd barely sniff the playoffs every year. He'd be competing with Melo and T-Mac for most first round exits.
Wait what? Not good at basketball? What the hell? Am I losing my mind here?
laugh.gif

Rodman, Isiah, and the Pistons weren't good at basketball? Magic and those boys weren't good at basketball? The Celtics teams weren't good at basketball? Those 80s Celtics/Lakers/Pistons teams, that is what basketball is in my eyes.

Blazers, you're sneaky.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Centers 90's>>>>>

Lebron, Wade, Kobe, CP, Melo, Durant, Dirk would put in work in the 90's

I would agree with that considering most of the greats in that era where on the decline of their careers vs most of the greats in the league now are at prime mode or close to it.

I mean i like dumars, cooper, etc but those guys in the latter stages of their careers arent seeing the top guards s/f of today. i mean i like bird and all, but 90's bird aint seeing now durant or dirk or melo. 90's moncrief aint seeing dwade. I mean im sorry later career zeke isnt a better pg then current cp3 or dwill. i mean yes some of those players were better overall in their careers but we are talking about at the time they played mj, and a vast majority of them when mj hit his prime they were on the decline or pretty much out the door. And most of the other players where new to the game and hit their prime when mj wasnt playing.

Mj fell right into the league and had peaked at the right time. A time where the great players of the 80's were 1 foot out the door/declining, and when the great players of the 90's were new to the game and had not reach their peak/potential yet.

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Centers 90's>>>>>

Lebron, Wade, Kobe, CP, Melo, Durant, Dirk would put in work in the 90's

I would agree with that considering most of the greats in that era where on the decline of their careers vs most of the greats in the league now are at prime mode or close to it.

I mean i like dumars, cooper, etc but those guys in the latter stages of their careers arent seeing the top guards s/f of today. i mean i like bird and all, but 90's bird aint seeing now durant or dirk or melo. 90's moncrief aint seeing dwade. I mean im sorry later career zeke isnt a better pg then current cp3 or dwill. i mean yes some of those players were better overall in their careers but we are talking about at the time they played mj, and a vast majority of them when mj hit his prime they were on the decline or pretty much out the door. And most of the other players where new to the game and hit their prime when mj wasnt playing.

Mj fell right into the league and had peaked at the right time. A time where the great players of the 80's were 1 foot out the door/declining, and when the great players of the 90's were new to the game and had not reach their peak/potential yet.

jordanwaitwut-o.gif

jordanwaitwut-o.gif

Originally Posted by LDJ

This is a complex kinda question. Cause in mj era the top best dominant players were mostly in the big man dept. I mean you had some great guards but todays guards overall>jordan era. I mean yea you have richmond, rice, etc but like another said kobe, lebron, ai, wade, a good majority of the top guards in this era will be 1st or 2nd hof or even top 50 players.

And if you look at the standings from his era the west was pretty weak and the east was the more dominant conference, and even the east had basically 4 or so legit teams that could make a serious run and the rest well...... Also again like someone stated most of the dominant teams where teams that where aging and one foot out the door. And alot of other teams where in transition to become a good great team.

As far as the position jordan played, he was in an era where just off athletism alone he was sheer dominant heads and shoulders above the rest. With maybe the exception of nique and a few other players.

With all that being said if the bulls of that era played in todays game i cant honestly say they would win 6 chips esp in the fashion they did with 2 3peats. I doubt they would dominate against the spurs/lakers etc or mavs or any of the other dominant teams 6 times in a course of 10 years.

I have no doubt lakers esp with kobe and shaq or the spurs wouldve got a few rings. And ppl say the handcheck etc rules shouldnt factor, but they indeed should. It takes alot more athletism defensive skill set to guard a man without the use of holding him back or cutting him off ala a hand check. And they lack of moving screens that were called, and lets not forget the infamous "jordan rules". To many varibles to just right off the back say yes or no.
Thanks for being unbias unlike other dudes who still stuck on Jordan sack

Originally Posted by LDJ

Watered down only in the sense that the league kept adding teams during the 80s/90s that created less competition. Expansion lottery where all teams dump their 12th best player and a team has to start off with that?

Watered down only in the sense that the league kept adding teams during the 80s/90s that created less competition. Expansion lottery where all teams dump their 12th best player and a team has to start off with that?

Fair enough. But let's look at who the Bulls beat.

That Jazz team is not overrated in no way. They kind of had it easy in 1998, that's fine. The Bullets were young when they beat em in 97, but Strickland, Juwan, and Webber was a tough young team. Then beating Mash, Zo, and Timmy, and Thunder Dan in Miami. Are the 90s Knicks watered down? I wouldn't think so. What about Shaq and Penny? People thought they'd be what Shaq and Kobe ended up being, except better. And don't take that wrong. The hype for Penny and Shaq was ridiculous. Shaq and Kobe weren't really recognized as being great before they won anything. That was the second three-peat.

He beat the Knicks again in the 91 Playoffs. Ewing, Oakley, Mark Jackson, Wilkins, those cats were all there. Then they beat Hershey and Charles in Philly. Were the two-time defending Champs "old and done in 91?" Isiah, Joe D, all those dudes were still there. They made it to the ECF. But then the Bulls came into town and kicked their *@%. Beating the Lakers that year as well. Magic and Worthy washed up? Ehhhhhhh. Knicks, Philly, Detroit, and LA all in 91. That's not watered down.

The Glen Rice Heat wasn't a great team, no. They once again beat the Knicks. That Cavs team in 92 is a bit underrated, they were damn good that year. Jordan was just better. That same Cavs team dethroned the legendary (though older) Celtics in their last run. Also beating Clyde, Terry, and Cliff was a hell of a feat. 1992. (On a sidenote, there's one player I'd really love to see and how he'd play in today's game, that's Drexler, I think he'd do SO well, especially with defenses being as soft as they are now compared to what they were).

Then in 1993, Nique, Kevin Willis, Augmon, and Blaylock. Watered down in ATL? Ehh. They beat the Cavs again, who were quite frankly what the Mavericks were of this era. Great regular season team. They beat the Knicks again, again, not watered down. If Charles were ever to win a ring, it would have been in 93. KJ, Thunder Dan, Barkley all playing at their top game. Again, not watered down.

Fair enough. But let's look at who the Bulls beat.

That Jazz team is not overrated in no way. They kind of had it easy in 1998, that's fine. The Bullets were young when they beat em in 97, but Strickland, Juwan, and Webber was a tough young team. Then beating Mash, Zo, and Timmy, and Thunder Dan in Miami. Are the 90s Knicks watered down? I wouldn't think so. What about Shaq and Penny? People thought they'd be what Shaq and Kobe ended up being, except better. And don't take that wrong. The hype for Penny and Shaq was ridiculous. Shaq and Kobe weren't really recognized as being great before they won anything. That was the second three-peat.

He beat the Knicks again in the 91 Playoffs. Ewing, Oakley, Mark Jackson, Wilkins, those cats were all there. Then they beat Hershey and Charles in Philly. Were the two-time defending Champs "old and done in 91?" Isiah, Joe D, all those dudes were still there. They made it to the ECF. But then the Bulls came into town and kicked their *@%. Beating the Lakers that year as well. Magic and Worthy washed up? Ehhhhhhh. Knicks, Philly, Detroit, and LA all in 91. That's not watered down.

The Glen Rice Heat wasn't a great team, no. They once again beat the Knicks. That Cavs team in 92 is a bit underrated, they were damn good that year. Jordan was just better. That same Cavs team dethroned the legendary (though older) Celtics in their last run. Also beating Clyde, Terry, and Cliff was a hell of a feat. 1992. (On a sidenote, there's one player I'd really love to see and how he'd play in today's game, that's Drexler, I think he'd do SO well, especially with defenses being as soft as they are now compared to what they were).

Then in 1993, Nique, Kevin Willis, Augmon, and Blaylock. Watered down in ATL? Ehh. They beat the Cavs again, who were quite frankly what the Mavericks were of this era. Great regular season team. They beat the Knicks again, again, not watered down. If Charles were ever to win a ring, it would have been in 93. KJ, Thunder Dan, Barkley all playing at their top game. Again, not watered down.

i think maybe he played in an era where it wasnt as hard to stand out but i wouldnt say it was watered down at all. there were so many different types of superstar players back then. nowadays
most of the main superstars all play very similar and its not a coincidence that they share those same similarities with mj

i think maybe he played in an era where it wasnt as hard to stand out but i wouldnt say it was watered down at all. there were so many different types of superstar players back then. nowadays
most of the main superstars all play very similar and its not a coincidence that they share those same similarities with mj

Originally Posted by LDJ

The thing that kills me is ppl saying mj played against all these great teams. No he really didnt. The bad boys, the c's, the showtime lakers prime years were before mj was even in the league. They started to began to decline in the mid to late 80's but were still dominant due to the fact most of the other teams where going thru there rebuilding/transition stage. And even in the mid late 80's mj wasnt dominant then. He was getting bounced out left and right year after year. It was untill most of those teams had 10-12 plus years in and basically one foot out the door is when he dominanted.

Lets focus and get serious here, jordan beating a 1990 pistons isnt exactly as beating a 1986 pistons. I mean the lakers he defeated werent the showtime lakers hardly. I mean we can go on and on. And alot of the other teams he beat were in transition on the rise. i mean out of all those championships the sonics were the only team at the same level as far as time in the league is concerned. the utah team major players were aging ot basically rookies or just comming into their careers. Those bulls teams basically had a team full of seasoned vets with not even a handfull of rooks etc or aging players.

Originally Posted by LDJ

The thing that kills me is ppl saying mj played against all these great teams. No he really didnt. The bad boys, the c's, the showtime lakers prime years were before mj was even in the league. They started to began to decline in the mid to late 80's but were still dominant due to the fact most of the other teams where going thru there rebuilding/transition stage. And even in the mid late 80's mj wasnt dominant then. He was getting bounced out left and right year after year. It was untill most of those teams had 10-12 plus years in and basically one foot out the door is when he dominanted.

Lets focus and get serious here, jordan beating a 1990 pistons isnt exactly as beating a 1986 pistons. I mean the lakers he defeated werent the showtime lakers hardly. I mean we can go on and on. And alot of the other teams he beat were in transition on the rise. i mean out of all those championships the sonics were the only team at the same level as far as time in the league is concerned. the utah team major players were aging ot basically rookies or just comming into their careers. Those bulls teams basically had a team full of seasoned vets with not even a handfull of rooks etc or aging players.

Back
Top Bottom