Do friends ask friends for compensation?

Had a homie who was going through a rough time where him and his girl were either staying at an extended stay or would sleep in the car between nights they didn't have the bread for a hotel. He would ask if they could come over and watch the game and said they would bounce and then they'd end up falling asleep. I knew they were going through a rough time, which was his fault because he wouldn't pay off his debt so they could rent an apt but regardless when they fell asleep at my place I didn't wake them or tell them to leave because i knew the situation even though he was irresponsible (longer story)....moral of the story is I didn't press him because ish was tight and embarrassing to talk about

Would've been a diff story if buddy didn't say he would pay gas and toll. But he mentioned it and dipped :lol:

giphy.gif
kr_zpsqygbg1jl.gif

Had a homie invite me out to DC last month, was supposed to meet up with some other couples out there. Buss down simple moves, food, drink, convo. I offered to get a hotel for me and wifey, multiple times my homie told me not to worry and just stay at his crib (plenty of space) and save that money. After the second ask, we moved on that. Still spent a ton on food, drinks, shopping, Uber/Lyft.

Homie made no time for us, didn’t let us know the other couple flaked out last minute, barely kept his word on the moves we planned for. At the end of the weekend, I still took him and his famb out to dinner and drinks on me at a restaurant of their choice. Wasn’t owed, but I felt like it was expected.

If bruh was staying, he could have at least kept his word on the offer. He knows famb more than us tho.

His homie told him that he would give him gas money and toll money for his troubles, but when his homie dipped he never gave him any money for gas etc.
Sounds like a chump to me. A man who doesn't keep his word is not a real man.

I don't have everything in life figured out yet but what I do know is that my word is all I have. Whether you're rich or poor, your word is the ultimate testament to who you are.

I hope you all know that when you say you're gonna do something and you don't do it, it puts you in a bad light and some people will lose a lot of respect for you.

My homie flew out last weekend for a brilliant idiots show in manhattan... he wanted to crash at my spot but no room I my apt so he caught an air bnb... I was suppose to pick him up at the airport but my ride was in the shop. We went out and I paid for his meal and drinks , along with his lady friend... I didn't fully accommodate him while he was here so the least I could do was pay for a ltitle something...

No biggie...

My real friends I wouldnt even expect or ask for anything from them...Anybody else I'm doing a favor for I let em know up front what I'm expecting

So my boy is actually staying on my couch for the summer? This is like my main hommie though. What if anything should I ask for in return?

some of you guys are missing the point lol... the friend was wrong for going against his word... if he didnt say he would give gas money or toll money this would all be forgotten... buts its the principal really... if the friend had offered to give money like he said he would and the coworker refused then thats his choice... he probably expected some type of return for his generosity even if he wasnt going to take it... the coworker got taken advantage of and should of said something...i dont know if it warrants not being friends with him anymore but i could see it as some type of disrespect...

I get where the guy is coming from. It’s not about the money, it’s about the respect. I mean I wouldn’t dead the guy over it

Nope. The scenario posted by OP sounds like the coworker is whack.

I’ve had friends come visit and you of course expect to make sacrifices whether it be time, money, comfort for the benefit of seeing them.

When I went to so cal I expect my friend to come wade through LA traffic to come pick me up from the airport and that I’m not going to rent a car and drive myself to his place.

All of this mostly applies when people are single though. Once they are married and or kids I’d never put them in that situation.

There is an unwritten rule among my friends when it comes to staying at someone's place. If I am visiting your city for 1-2 days (and assuming you are single), then I will stay at your place. During my stay, it is on me to at the very least pay for a few meals and any transportation like Uber. Any longer then 2 days, then it is on me to get a hotel/airBNB

There is an unwritten rule among my friends when it comes to staying at someone's place. If I am visiting your city for 1-2 days (and assuming you are single), then I will stay at your place. During my stay, it is on me to at the very least pay for a few meals and any transportation like Uber. Any longer then 2 days, then it is on me to get a hotel/airBNB

Same here. Whenever I go stay at my friend's place out of town, I always come through with a bottle of alcohol and buy a meal/some drinks here and there, especially since my friends usually pay for Uber/drive me around everywhere. It doesn't even have to be mentioned or asked for.

On top of that, we aren't penny pinchers. If a meal comes out to $30 and one of us ordered $5 less worth of food than the other, we will still split it evenly rather than ask for that insignificant amount of money.

Driving him to a wedding, and waiting up and being annoyed by it is the problem... sounds like a parent or maybe he was bothered the friend was having a blast and he was home.

But If your coming to my place to visit others primarily but can’t afford a hotel. Then u on ur own. You can stay on my sofa free but ur on ur own, meaning find your own ride(s). In this day of age we have uber, lyft...we also have cashapp, venmo, zelle lol there should be no parenting going on.

Same here. Whenever I go stay at my friend's place out of town, I always come through with a bottle of alcohol and buy a meal/some drinks here and there, especially since my friends usually pay for Uber/drive me around everywhere. It doesn't even have to be mentioned or asked for.

On top of that, we aren't penny pinchers. If a meal comes out to $30 and one of us ordered $5 less worth of food than the other, we will still split it evenly rather than ask for that insignificant amount of money.

Same here...my homeboys talking bout coming to visit in the city the I just moved to and we aint even discuss plans, just told em to let me know and pull up...I already know they got the bottles and all that when they come around n we go out

This. I tell my friends up front, if you asked to stay, you’re welcome to buttttt you’re taking me out to eat as an exchange.

It would be different if I offered you to stay. Then that’s on me.

Nah if my good friend asked to stay a couple days, i wouldnt expect nor demand compensation.

If dude is adamant about it, buy us a bottle or something. Or like you said, dinner but i wouldnt expect it.

If i accept your request to stay at my house, you are now a guest in my home and i expect nothing of you.

I could have declined.

We only talking about a couple days tho.

Back
Top Bottom