Do teens give respect to older guys who collect????

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

I like the fact that you saying teens use their parents money to buy kicks though. I'm 18 and have bought all my kicks with my own money. I've never asked my parents for money for kicks. I respect the older cats but best believe I do not owe "you" anything for the fact that you watched MJ play longer than me. Just because you were around longer doesn't entitle you to something anymore than someone else unless we are talking about retirement or Social Security
laugh.gif
. I understand you are mad that a "young'n" called you a hypebeast but do not stereotype all youngsters. That is not cool. Give respect to earn respect.

I agree.
You being around longer makes no difference to me. I'll treat you just as I treat any other shoehead. But you shouldn't go labelingevery younger sneakerhead.
tongue.gif

i respect any collector in here..i dont respect the resellers who buy all the shoes for themselves to then resel and rip off the other collectors

i'm over 30 and can easily say that buying jays now is nothing like it once was. it's quite sad and pathetic at the moment imo. whether this is due toJB or to the young, i can't honestly say. both perhaps.

i laugh at the young'uns getting all defensive in this thread. if you feel the need to be defensive, then you're essentially admitting some liabilityto the original claim. and besides, it's the internet. you will never meet the OP, so what difference does it make what he thinks of you?

Im 18 and I respect older guys that collect. When I see an older guy with heat im like "damn those are hot". theres no disrespect in any way. Butfirst of all how can you tell that theres a lot of high school kids in here. Im in college now but ive been collecting my jays with MY OWNMONEY since the 9th grade . All kids dont have to ask there parents for money. And you "layed foundation to this game" on the sole fact thatyou were born before all of us. Just like p0tat0 5alad said, we dont owe you anything for the fact that you watched MJ play longer us. Yes you may have some OGDS kicks that we want. But you have them because you were born before us. As Aaliyah said, "age aint nothin but a number". Just because a young dudecalled you a young'n doesnt mean that you have to take your frustration out on a NT forum. Since you're so much older than us, you should be at thematurity level to just brush off what the dude said. All of us here on NT are sneakerheads or we wouldnt be here sharing our ideas and maybe spreading a littleinsight on the game. So next time, dont make your personal issue a public issue homie. PEACE

How many young cats got all hyped up over this thread....no one is askin you to kiss our @ss but if we woulda neva bought J's back then why would nike andJB be puttin them back out now?

Kids see me walkin and they ask me all these crazy ?'s and I answer with no problem but when I see some cat in female jeans actin like he better than me Ijust have to laugh!

Take a stroll on a friday or saturday nite thru times square and da vill and look @ wa they wear.....then look back @ a pic when u were 12 and see theresemblance!

im 15 i cop what i want cause i like it hype got nothing to do with it i buy all my kicks with my money i dont ask my parents for anything i work for my moneycause that's how i was raised i dont get what you mean by respecting old heads ill admit if they no more about shoes or whatever but im not gonna bow downto someone because they all every pair of jordans or something thats stupid

I don't know many of us that are in our 30's and still collecting. I don't know anything else...I grew up in Jordan's and watched MJ his wholecareer. I was in 6th grade and my first J's were the black and blue ones....ever since I have always been one of the first to rock the newest. Over 30 pairnow...never resell just collect and wear...

I'm 29, and don't really worry about getting respect from anybody young. I've been a fan of MJ since as early as I can remember. I've been anactual collector for about 10 years or so. I've had every OG since the 3. That being said I don't expect any extra respect, I buy what I want and keepit moving. I'm not going to complain about not getting a pair because of lines, I just buy online, reseller or whatever.

obviously depends on the teen. Im 27 and I get kids 15-16 telling me my kicks are fake just because they havent came out in the last 2 years [since they havebeen collecting] and then you get some compliments from those who know they're stuff. depends on the individual. Doesnt hold any weight with me though.cant worry about respect with sneakers, they're just sneakers.

I am 27, and grew up 1 hour outside of Chicago. My father got me watching the bulls when I was 11 or 12 ( '92 - '93 ). I have always loved Js, but myparents could never afford to buy them. I had a buddy who ALWAYS got the new Js, and I was always going over to his house to see them. His mom bought him everyJordan from the VIIIs - XIIIs before she cut him off. She actually bought him 2 pairs of XIIs when they dropped... Me on the other hand couldn't buy my 1stpair until the XIIs. I have always loved MJ, and his shoes. I respect all MJ collectors, whether it is shoes, cards, or anything related. I have ran into acouple people on here that fit the description of "the HS kid" who knows nothing of MJ, and loves the crap they are putting out ( orange/crap fusionsetc.. ) and gets hyped up just because everyone in school is getting the same thing. I just ignore it, and do my own thing. If I like the shoe, I invest in it.If I don't, I leave it to the kids. They will always be around hyping the same garbage because that's what JB wants - money, money, and kids parentsmoney. I mean, can you blame them? Sure, it sucks, but in todays world the rich keep getting richer no matter how much money they have. ( billionaires going toprison for embezzling for ex. ) My point is that they are always going to be there no matter what, so get used to it. In 2025, there will be a 15 year oldhyping up the new releases not even knowing what years Jordan played. As far as respect goes, their is not alot of it in the world today, so I don't expectsomeone else to respect me for my collection(s). I respect people for taking interest in hobbies they love and that's all that matters. On a side note, Iremember that buddy of mine copping the cool grey XIs, and not too long after trying to bleach the sole. He got it all over the toe, and then went and got thewhite/columbias... LOL I'm going to call him today and rub that in. Even to this day he says: "what was I thinking? I should have had my moms buy meall that ###% in a 10/10.5, threw them in the closet, and rocked some plastic olojuwans" (sp)

Man..first of am not 30+ but on the real what does age gotta do with this
You are old and we all get it but I don't juss respect anyone because they are 30+, I tend to show respect
to most people to everyone I come across..Behind all this screen names you can really say anything abt anyone..

I'm 24, and I don't really know anyone older than me that collects or even wears Jordans with regularity. All the older cats I know come to me for theRD or to see the newest pair in person. No one I know is as serious about it as I am and everybody I know is mad cuz I still buy a lot of Jordans. So, if therewas an older crowd around for me to respect, then yes of course I would pay homage. I was old enough to remember watching Jordan hoop on WGN-TV Chicago butI've always been a Western Conference fan so he was more my arch-nemesis than hardwood hero. I respect him as the GOAT and am glad I got to grow upwatching him play, but the bottom line is you gotta give respect to get it, ya dig ? ? ?

Most teens don't & most teens don't buy shoes to even collect.
I don't want all the teeny boppers in here to get all upset...but most don't & like I said most don't buy shoes to collect/respect/honor MJ. Ofcourse there are exceptions though.

I think for the younger collectors out there, they should respect the "older" guys. They should understand that they (the kids) are younger then theshoes they are buying in certain cases. They should understand that the older people actually watched MJ play live games in these shoes.

Some people buy them because they're the newest fad or whatever, they wanna match a shirt, fit in, etc...I think those are the ones who don't reallyrespect the collecting & the people that do it.

With the others, I think they do, its just harder to pick them out with all these kids buying Jordans now.

im put it out there. im 19 years old, and i can tell you right now, its sad to come into this thread and see old heads and young heads trying to defend theirstance on collecting shoes. sure we arent as old as you guys, and might not have watched MJ play every night, what does it matter? when we were growing up,being an 80's baby and a child of the 90's its safe to say our slogan was "i wanna be like mike". knew who he was, and we watched him playwith our cousins, brothers, pops, whoever was watching the game at the time. so you cant sit here and say "these young kids dont know anything about mikeblah blah, they're killin this game with the hype" if anything its Gentry designing and selling the shoes thats killing it. we're just tryna copsome shoes.

i cant speak on everyone, but i know for fact im not a hypebeast, i cop only OG colorways and i cop 1-2 pairs. i dont resell, and i .barely buy online. i copfrom footlocker, finishline, wherever, just like when i was a lil kid. ever since sneaker collecting was labeled a culture, "way of life", andwhatever else people call it now, its been going downhill. just buy the damn shoes and wear them, who cares if a dude 10 years younger than you respects you.you're a grown $## man. act like one...

if you are a real shoehead, and a younger real head see's you, he will respect you. if i see a dude pushin 35+ rocking some heat, mostdef ima give him hisprops cause its obvious he has knowledge and goes way back with it. real recognizes real... if someone comes at you sideways about kicks, you know they dontknow $%%+. so why even worry about them?

30+ crew.
Who's not showing any loyal Jordan fan respect is JB themselves. they bastardize all the great shoes we grew up with. from putting out clownass colorways,to terrible material quality, atrocious hybrids, or even changing the shoe altogether. I have respect for all true sneakerhead, I just wish JB would do thesame.

imo... i'm not going to respect someone just because of their shoe. Theres more to character than jordan brand shoes.

Back
Top Bottom