Do you consider The Black Album a classic????

I think so, I was just wondering since I got this impression that people think its an above average, I need confirmation.

BTW, his last bar on what more can i say is so pifff very significant.

God I hate these threads...what happened to just appreciating good music for their intrinsic worth aside from the need to rank and categorize everything?

I usually never throw around the word "classic" (I'd rather just call a CD "dope as %@%%") but if I did, this would fit under it.

The whole air surrounding this album when it released, the whole retirement thing. Joint felt historical.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

God I hate these threads...what happened to just appreciating good music for their intrinsic worth aside from the need to rank and categorize everything?
/thread

The sad thing is, for better or worse people don't really understand why they shouldn't do this. Looking at the masters of the various parts ofhip-hop culture, Jay-Z is in a class with the greatest of all time. Everyone's going to have their opinions, but I seldom have (if ever) heard an artprofessor rant about why the Sistine Chapel was a "better" artistic feat than the Parthenon. These debates are apples and oranges no matter how youlook at it. I mean let's be real here: Even if TBA was a classic, Jigga followed it up with one of his most poorly-received efforts to date--Kingdom Come.

And FWIW, no, TBA was not a classic. I'd give it four out of five stars because I could've done without songs like "Justify My Thug" andeven "Threat." Tracks like those haven't aged well to me.

To me, yes.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

/thread

The sad thing is, for better or worse people don't really understand why they shouldn't do this. Looking at the masters of the various parts of hip-hop culture, Jay-Z is in a class with the greatest of all time. Everyone's going to have their opinions, but I seldom have (if ever) heard an art professor rant about why the Sistine Chapel was a "better" artistic feat than the Parthenon. These debates are apples and oranges no matter how you look at it. I mean let's be real here: Even if TBA was a classic, Jigga followed it up with one of his most poorly-received efforts to date--Kingdom Come.

And FWIW, no, TBA was not a classic. I'd give it four out of five stars because I could've done without songs like "Justify My Thug" and even "Threat." Tracks like those haven't aged well to me.

i thought threat was crack but year JMT is the weakest track on album imo

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

/thread

The sad thing is, for better or worse people don't really understand why they shouldn't do this. Looking at the masters of the various parts of hip-hop culture, Jay-Z is in a class with the greatest of all time. Everyone's going to have their opinions, but I seldom have (if ever) heard an art professor rant about why the Sistine Chapel was a "better" artistic feat than the Parthenon. These debates are apples and oranges no matter how you look at it. I mean let's be real here: Even if TBA was a classic, Jigga followed it up with one of his most poorly-received efforts to date--Kingdom Come.

And FWIW, no, TBA was not a classic. I'd give it four out of five stars because I could've done without songs like "Justify My Thug" and even "Threat." Tracks like those haven't aged well to me.

i thought threat was crack but year JMT is the weakest track on album imo
LOL, it's like a love and hate relationship with "Threat." While I was hype as a high school kid to see a brother using the samestuff I was using at the time for production to get a track on the latest Jay album, as someone a little bit more seasoned today (and after we've heard 9thuse that same snare seemingly a million times now), it's probably one of two tracks that I'd skip right now on TBA.

Add to that the fact that every other track was produced by a big name, and to me "Threat" could've been left off or given to someone else in theRoc camp. "Justify My Thug" never really fit the album to me, either.

nah, it would have had a better chance if he left off justify my thug and replaced it with ignorant %%+

Definitely a classic. It's his 2nd best album behind RD. Only one bad song on the whole thing and it's mainly because of the weak Madonna sample.

Back
Top Bottom