Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

As a Democrat, I don't feel the left is equipped to tackle the issue of crime in this country. I don't think all these feel good measures are at all effective.

Completely agree.

I’m in a group chat with a bunch of well paid good intentioned people who are so damn soft. But then they also simply just buy homes in gated communities and far away from the reality of the crimes and the streets and still have all these soft liberal ideas about what’s best approach on things they never come in contact with.

I view crime and homelessness the same way I do a 5 year old. I wouldn’t expect a 5 year old to fix the situation themselves / expect a 5 year old needs a solid structure of what to do or not do.

Pretty sure if the founding fathers of the United States saw the current state of the Country and how kids are shooting up schools they’d renege the 2nd amendment.

Pretty sure if the founding fathers of the United States saw the current state of the Country and how kids are shooting up schools they’d renege the 2nd amendment.

It's inappropriate and gross to think about but you know these founding fathers would have even hitting these kids well before that happened

Can you look at the state of American policing today and say that the list above doesn't make sense, or is unrealistic?

Can you look at what happened in Uvalde and honestly say that the false reports to the public (with the support of the local politics and media), the cowardly behavior, the deflection of responsibility, and the refusal to be held accountable are the exception and not the rule by which American police departments live?

Can you?

I'm reading there's 18000 law enforcement agencies in the US

I'm not sure how many stories of agency dysfunction youve been made aware of, Im sure you imagine it's somewhere in the thousands which I doubt, but even if it was, that wouldn't describe all of law enforcement

Last edited:
Can you?

I'm reading there's 18000 law enforcement agencies in the US

I'm not sure how many stories of agency dysfunction youve been made aware of, Im sure you imagine it's somewhere in the thousands which I doubt, but even if it was, that wouldn't describe all of law enforcement
I didn't write the articles, nor did I perform the studies that show what they show. I'm only presenting what folks who looked at more than a few PDs determined.

The tough-on-crime approach was tried in the 90s and was proven to be a failure for the public, BUT it resulted in a lot of power for law enforcement (access to military hardware, qualified immunity, no permanent removal of the ability to work for officers fired for misconduct or convicted of illegal acts on the job) and they're not trying to lose that. This is the context in which I look at what LEOs and their backers say when they criticize these reforms.

If you agree with the current state of policing, that's fine. If you disagree with it, but blame "soft liberal" policies for the rise in crime, me think you don't want to admit that cops have taken entire communities hostage, and they are proposing random lawlessness as an alternative to their lawlessness.

Sometimes I feel like these conversations about the police are more about retaliation/retribution than actually trying to solve problems.

Yeah I’m not connecting the dots on his proposed solutions to the crime still. Just complaining that LE and policing as it stands isn’t working?

Is the suggestion that cutting LE budget for more programs and help would suffice?

-

FWIW, I live in a major city in California. I have spoken to the PD here about their staff / budget recently and was told that they have 1 (ONE) auto theft investigator on staff, after some dukes tried stealing my truck out front of my house. They said I may get a call and I may not, to look into who attempted to steal it. This is because that 1 person has to prioritize cases and time. I was told this decision to reduce down to 1 was due to budgeting cuts.

I know my PD isn’t representative of all PD’s everywhere, but again - I’m in a major city. No idea how they would think 1 (ONE) investigator for all auto crime is going to cover much of anything. And considering these dukes tried stealing my truck in broad daylight, the crime around here seems to know that budget is down and they’ll likely never face any charges / get caught.

CA is a very left / progressive state.. if you look at any of the major cities you would agree that they’re struggling with crime. Despite whatever your reports or articles may tell you.

Completely agree.

I’m in a group chat with a bunch of well paid good intentioned people who are so damn soft. But then they also simply just buy homes in gated communities and far away from the reality of the crimes and the streets and still have all these soft liberal ideas about what’s best approach on things they never come in contact with.

I view crime and homelessness the same way I do a 5 year old. I wouldn’t expect a 5 year old to fix the situation themselves / expect a 5 year old needs a solid structure of what to do or not do.
People keep saying this but have you ever come across a police department that's "Democrat"?

People keep saying this but have you ever come across a police department that's "Democrat"?
Aren’t the people they answer to up the food chain usually “democrat”?

I thought I heard an argument before about pulling the PD’s away from answering to politicians, and the cities they serve electing the sheriff / top dawg that they answer to.

I think this is a great time to remind people that the “Court of Public Opinion” is not a real court. The verdicts of said “court” are not facts(sometimes).

I thought I heard an argument before about pulling the PD’s away from answering to politicians, and the cities they serve electing the sheriff / top dawg that they answer to.
How exactly is a "Republican" run city with the same level of poverty, lack of education and resources any different? You think they somehow are safer?

Most of the states with the highest crime rates are red states tho :lol: So…are they not responsible?

Both parties have tried tough on crime approaches that have failed. One party kinda sorta acknowledges that, but isn’t all in on addressing the root causes. The other party is ignoring data and creating boogeymen out of racial minorities to justify this “good (white) guy with a gun” narrative because the NRA has them by the nuts.

Can’t reduce crime if you’re not addressing poverty, lack of mental health services, and education.

While “defund the police” may have been a poor slogan, the overall argument was reallocating resources from police departments, which often have some of the largest budgets in poor cities, to the areas i mentioned above.

Also, “defunding” doesn’t even necessarily mean less officers it just means maybe a small town in nowhere America shouldn’t have the budget for a tank and endless riot gear…

Always felt the wording of that gave the right an excuse not to take the actual meaning behind the phrase seriously. It just allowed folks to completely dismiss it altogether.

Words matter and that was just the worst possible way to frame that movement.

Always felt the wording of that gave the right an excuse not to take the actual meaning behind the phrase seriously. It just allowed folks to completely dismiss it altogether.

Words matter and that was just the worst possible way to frame that movement.
Yeah, to an extent, but the GOP isn’t a serious party. No matter how you frame it, they’re gonna dismiss it. They had people beating cops on Jan 6th with blue lives matter flags cuz they wouldn’t let ‘em overthrow the government:lol:

Yeah I’m not connecting the dots on his proposed solutions to the crime still. Just complaining that LE and policing as it stands isn’t working?

Is the suggestion that cutting LE budget for more programs and help would suffice?
Dude said, leftist feel good measures are not a solution for rising crime levels.

I didn't propose solutions. I just said that the idea that so-called "feel good" reforms are detrimental to crime control is a narrative pushed by law enforcement, police unions, and the tough-on-crime crowd who are opposed to much needed policing reforms.

If you want solutions to crime, look at the economic state of a community. The combination of the lack of well-paying jobs, lack of job opportunities, food insecurity, and lack of safe outlets for the youth is more conducive to an environment of high crime than mere police funding or the upholding of qualified immunity.

Even if they want to break it down to the base, surface level, the difference between a safe community and a not safe one is incredibly obvious, and it isn't more harsh policing.

This is definitely an unpopular opinion

I hated pretty much every Disney classic movie I’ve seen. Especially the fairytale movies but also The Lion King etc.
I understand their appeal obviously, they’re great movies, but for some reason I hated them as a kid. I haven’t rewatched any as an adult, nor do I plan to.

The only reason I can think of is that from a very young age, I was reading books and watching movies/series aimed at adults or at least teens.

This is definitely an unpopular opinion

I hated pretty much every Disney classic movie I’ve seen. Especially the fairytale movies but also The Lion King etc.
I understand their appeal obviously, they’re great movies, but for some reason I hated them as a kid. I haven’t rewatched any as an adult, nor do I plan to.

The only reason I can think of is that from a very young age, I was reading books and watching movies/series aimed at adults or at least teens.

You missed out on your childhood then b. Lion King and Aladdin my fav, seen Aladdin on Broadway too and it was fire. :pimp:

Bird was a better player than Mike

FF5164CD-685C-4441-8C77-3FDD2761829B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom