Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

My guy moonman818 moonman818 Made the right decision on not going White Water Rafting. Back when I was a summer associate in 07, my old firm had a White Water Rafting event. Being a summer associate offers for employment often hinge on stupid stuff like event attendance and being a team player. I don’t swim and told them that but they insisted that I’d be ok and they expected me to attend. I arrived about 15 minutes late to the event and the first rafting team was already out. When they get back, everyone in boat number 1 was drenched and one of the lawyers had to get medical attention for a huge gash on her leg. Apparently the boat flipped over and people were swimming and fighting for their lives. After that, they cancelled the rest of the rafting event and we just had burgers and dogs at the campsite.

Corporate America seems like a cult almost. Dudes getting shunned for not risking their life for the culture.

I’m not anti work functions, I’m actually going to kick it with my boss today but the way they do things is weird.

Mans coulda been pushin a Bugatti in Saudi but instead he out here being pressured to drown in Tahoe

Also..

Were you clapping that broads cheeks “all over the cabin” yall had before or after you were married and cleaned up your phone 👀
These were both a couple years before I met my wife :lol:
If she hit me with $500k or a mil I probably would have done it.
My guy moonman818 moonman818 Made the right decision on not going White Water Rafting. Back when I was a summer associate in 07, my old firm had a White Water Rafting event. Being a summer associate offers for employment often hinge on stupid stuff like event attendance and being a team player. I don’t swim and told them that but they insisted that I’d be ok and they expected me to attend. I arrived about 15 minutes late to the event and the first rafting team was already out. When they get back, everyone in boat number 1 was drenched and one of the lawyers had to get medical attention for a huge gash on her leg. Apparently the boat flipped over and people were swimming and fighting for their lives. After that, they cancelled the rest of the rafting event and we just had burgers and dogs at the campsite.
if something would have happen they woulda said you insisted on going :smh:

HR tripping on that one lol
ADVERTISEMENT​

The hazing and peer pressure in corporate America is really gross like you guys mentioned. During that same summer there was another event called “the wine lunch” where the partners take the summer associates to this outdoor market and bring tons of bottles of wine. The lunch didn’t end until every bottle was gone. I don’t drink and have never tasted non medicine based alcohol for my own reasons (certain family members struggle with alcohol) and told them so at the beginning of the summer. My choice was ridiculed all summer. We get to the wine lunch and the partners kept urging me to just "try it" and "not be uptight". I eventually let them pour me a glass but it just stayed untouched. One summer associate got so hammered that when we got back to the office he went to sleep and they thought it was funny. Glad I left that firm

That’s horrible man, I don’t drink either.

Construction has its issues for sure but it’s pretty understood you don’t **** with addiction or being sober regardless since 10 years ago it was common to snort meth and drink a beer on your lunch break a lot of guys are still around who fought those battles.

Corporate America seems like there’s no solidarity and a lot of bullying.

Well bully people too but it’s more childish than anything.

Speaking of the old days, my wife’s boss was found naked in a meth induced psychosis back in the day he told her. :lol:

They sent him to treatment, paid for it all and stood by him and he’s still there. Corporate America would just can you I bet.

Before that he was twacking for some days again and drove a skid steer though a hole in a parking ramp and fell 30 ft. :rofl:

This was just common normal stuff 20 years ago.

Last summer associate story, but the last event was this wine tasting party in one of the conference rooms. Wine was brought in and people tasted various assortments. I didn't drink anything but as a parting gift to the summers we were each presented with a bottle of wine. Instead of wine they gave me a wine tasting book and laughed at me when I accepted it. People legit thought it was a joke that I didn't drink.

imagine laughing at someone for not willingly ingesting poison.
Clowns wonder why so many lawyers are on their 5 marriages and have substance abuse problems. I'm proud that I refused their peer pressure and now at a new firm people just accept that alcohol ain't for me and don't ask. Substance abuse and lawyers goes together like pb and j. When I was two years at my new firm, a partner was supposed to be in London but no one had heard from him. His wife called and no one knew where he was. He sat two offices down from me. His door was closed and when his secretary opened it she found him dead on the floor with a needle next to him. Apparently he overdosed over the weekend.

Yeah stuff like that is way too common, I don’t even care if you ask why I don’t drink. Just don’t pester me about it.

Good for you for leaving btw, no reason to deal with that longer than you have to.

Never really had an issue not drinking at work events. Matter of fact, shout out to the bartenders with the sparkling water and lemon ready.
diddy-drink.gif

I remember not being “uptight” and chopping lines in my work station. You think that would fly in corporate America since they are soooo laid back?
In corporate America a "Childs party" is code for cocaine and hookers. They're like everybody else, just dressed a lil different and use bigger words.

I quit drinking for about 2 years. Best decision of my life.

I have a beer here and there now but my “nights drinking” now are few and far between. When they do happen, I get drunk off two drinks and wake up with no hangover.

The period I started telling people I didn’t drink had a lot of interesting reactions, and some people asking my wife if I was “okay”.

I think the narrative on not drinking is changing, but bottom line is it’s a choice and it should be normal for some people to not want to drink.

I quit drinking for about 2 years. Best decision of my life.

I have a beer here and there now but my “nights drinking” now are few and far between. When they do happen, I get drunk off two drinks and wake up with no hangover.

The period I started telling people I didn’t drink had a lot of interesting reactions, and some people asking my wife if I was “okay”.

I think the narrative on not drinking is changing, but bottom line is it’s a choice and it should be normal for some people to not want to drink.
I cracked yesterday , I was 10 days sober
Longest I’ve gone in years .

Day 1 today

Back
Top Bottom