Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

Wait how do you play soccer without a ball?

1729122514538.jpeg

1729122595594.jpeg

Four big rocks, one bottle (or can), and you got yourself a game :lol:

I mean we have words for a reason. You can't play soccer without a ball. Kicking bottles and rocks is just kicking bottles and rocks.
You can.

You're not kicking rocks; they're used as goal posts.

^ FWIW, I didn't mean that sarcastically or flippant.
I appreciated it, sincerely. :smile:
It's a very common thing outside the US, regardless of income level. Kids take over neighborhood streets with or without balls/goals and most motorists actually respect it.

The label was correct; "Children ...... playing with a bottle."

Why don't you take a look at the comments under the video to see how no one, from Europe, Asia, or South America is confused as to which sport the kids are playing?

Playing soccer with something other than a round ball is not strange at all for those whose culture included the sport.

Does basketball stop being basketball if the hoop is replaced with a crate?

Why don't you take a look at the comments under the video to see how no one, from Europe, Asia, or South America is confused as to which sport the kids are playing?

Playing soccer with something other than a round ball is not strange at all for those whose culture included the sport.

Yes cause youd still have the ball. :lol:

Now if you take the ball away and used a bottle, yeah its basketball still you have a point.

Nobody is confused about which sport they are "supposed" to be playing because it's taking place on a wide open soccer field with kids wearing SOCCER jerseys.

I mean what else would they assume is taking place other than simulation soccer?

If I am throwing a bookbag into a basketball court, I am simulating basketball. I am not playing basketball. There is a difference.

A BALL is needed in all these situations. If you aren't using a ball, you aren't playing the sport. Because if that's the case, there would be no limit to what you could call soccer if all you need tk be doing is running in a soccer field with a "goal." Why not use a grapefruit. A head of cabbage? A groundhog?

Does it have to be a dedicated sport ball?

If I ball up a piece of paper and shoot it at my garbage can (yelling “Kobe!”) does that count as basketball since I’m shooting a ball?

Does it have to be a dedicated sport ball?

If I ball up a piece of paper and shoot it at my garbage can (yelling “Kobe!”) does that count as basketball since I’m shooting a ball?
No that is throwing a piece of trash into a trashcan.

Also that isn't a ball, that is a crumbled piece(s) of paper. It isn't a sphere. :lol:

:lol: @ DC not being able to wrap his head around third world ingenuity.

Its just like dudes dribbling tennis balls. They usually end up with wild ball handling skills.

:lol: @ DC not being able to wrap his head around third world ingenuity.

Its just like dudes dribbling tennis balls. They usually end up with wild ball handling skills.
Yea that isn't anywhere near what this discussion is about. Never once downplayed the creativity. Read and follow the actual convo please.

Right, but at that point it's a matter of semantics, because whatever they make-do with, that's the ball. Like when they're playing, they don't say "Pass the stuffed juice box!"

This is the start/base of the convo.

Kicking a bottle around isn't soccer, it's pretend soccer.

Shooting trash into a can isn't basketball, it's make believe basketball.

So again, we know people can be creative but you aren't playing said sport. You are using your imagination to play said sport.

Convo isn't about creativity.

This is the start/base of the convo.
The convo actually started before that. It was about how the US turned a fundamentally inexpensive sport into an upper middle class one.

Look, the basics of the game can be summed up to "kick the ball over the line between these posts."

If you're going to argue that they're not playing the sport because they don't use a ball (never argued that they'd prefer a bottle over an actual ball), then your argument can be extended to "they're not using actual goals, so it's pretend soccer; they're using a volleyball, so it's pretend soccer."

All I'm saying is, most people who grew up playing the game informally, outside of the US, know that you can get a game started even without a ball. That's it. Amateurs know it; the pros know it. How YOU see doesn't really matter.

All I'm saying is, most people who grew up playing the game informally, outside of the US, know that you can get a game started even without a ball. That's it. Amateurs know it; the pros know it. How YOU see doesn't really matter.

You are correct, you can get "a game" started without a ball. That game just isn't soccer.

Back
Top Bottom