Do you know anyone that started a clothing line that failed miserably?

almost all fail, this is a local from my area. i guess he's doing kinda ok though. thoughts NT?

http://pryourity.tumblr.com/

i feel dude kinda rips off alotta stuff like supreme ysl bape, and etc but i guess thats how shortypop made it right.

Originally Posted by 650

i don't think any of these guys starting clothing lines fail 'miserably'.. they usually are kids from the suburbs so it goes like..

- think clothing lines a great idea that will make them millions
- come up with creative generic logo/designs
- print a few hundred tshirts
- sell maybe 20
- realize it wont work
- life goes on
Unfortunately, accurate.

Originally Posted by 650

i don't think any of these guys starting clothing lines fail 'miserably'.. they usually are kids from the suburbs so it goes like..

- think clothing lines a great idea that will make them millions
- come up with creative generic logo/designs
- print a few hundred tshirts
- sell maybe 20
- realize it wont work
- life goes on
Unfortunately, accurate.

Beat me to it with the NT dudes. I see maybe 2-3 of these "new clothing line" threads a month, maybe more, and then you never hear from these dudes again.

Yep. Knew a guy who blew a grip opening a shop for his "clothing line" that never materialized. I don't like to kick people when they're down so I won't put him on blast but I will say that I and his closest friends tried to warn him...

Funny that Bobby posted up above me because dude used to hate on The Hundreds HARD and when we saw those dudes at a function in SD once he had a whole lot to say... well look at where they are and where he is. Hating on top of a flimsy idea, no follow through and lofty goals got him nowhere.

Beat me to it with the NT dudes. I see maybe 2-3 of these "new clothing line" threads a month, maybe more, and then you never hear from these dudes again.

Yep. Knew a guy who blew a grip opening a shop for his "clothing line" that never materialized. I don't like to kick people when they're down so I won't put him on blast but I will say that I and his closest friends tried to warn him...

Funny that Bobby posted up above me because dude used to hate on The Hundreds HARD and when we saw those dudes at a function in SD once he had a whole lot to say... well look at where they are and where he is. Hating on top of a flimsy idea, no follow through and lofty goals got him nowhere.

when it comes to getting a clothing line "poppin" you have to touch a certain demographic first. You also have to have the financial backing that it takes to start one. Everybody isnt going to like your clothes, their will be critics. Plus if your going to sell them you have to decide whether you're going to take the internet approach or do it by hand in your local area. You could do both, but taking the internet approach has it's downsides, unless you have a facebook with a crap load of friend's how are you going to get the word out about your clothing line? and out of all of them friend's who is really going to pay attention and buy one of your designs?

Another big step is getting your clothes into an actual store. I think once you hit that stage things will go much much smoother. It's the process of getting to that stage that is the hard part. I'm sure there's paper work involved and some more stuff. No one is just going to take your product and move it into there store like everything's all good in the hood. Alot of people claim they have crazy fashion sense but they really don't. Just coming up with a logo isn't going to get your clothing line off on a rocket ship. You'll have to create something that get's people's interest. LRG did this perfectly with the designs on the shirts they came up with and their stand out hoodies, they targeted a younger audience with this and that audience paid attention. I've seen so many clothing lines where the lead guy would have his logo on 10 different color shirts and go on forums and ask people to give their feedback. It's not going to work out that way if you want to get your line up and running, switch up your designs, show off more than just "T-Shirts", so many people just show the work they've created on T-shirts, show something different, like some jeans your created, or some caps, watches you've did art on, shades, etc.

Controversy sells, and if I ever started a clothing line, the messages I WOULD have on my shirt's would grab people's attention because they would be "out there" in a way, whether it's dealing with politics, racism, sex quotes, sports, quotes for different holidays, etc....I would have something for everybody, but I'd create them in a R rated way......and go from there, just to get the "interest up", then when I do, I can switch into another lane and have total freedom to make the shirt's I attended to make when I first came up with my idea. By that time I'd already have the people checking for my label.

when it comes to getting a clothing line "poppin" you have to touch a certain demographic first. You also have to have the financial backing that it takes to start one. Everybody isnt going to like your clothes, their will be critics. Plus if your going to sell them you have to decide whether you're going to take the internet approach or do it by hand in your local area. You could do both, but taking the internet approach has it's downsides, unless you have a facebook with a crap load of friend's how are you going to get the word out about your clothing line? and out of all of them friend's who is really going to pay attention and buy one of your designs?

Another big step is getting your clothes into an actual store. I think once you hit that stage things will go much much smoother. It's the process of getting to that stage that is the hard part. I'm sure there's paper work involved and some more stuff. No one is just going to take your product and move it into there store like everything's all good in the hood. Alot of people claim they have crazy fashion sense but they really don't. Just coming up with a logo isn't going to get your clothing line off on a rocket ship. You'll have to create something that get's people's interest. LRG did this perfectly with the designs on the shirts they came up with and their stand out hoodies, they targeted a younger audience with this and that audience paid attention. I've seen so many clothing lines where the lead guy would have his logo on 10 different color shirts and go on forums and ask people to give their feedback. It's not going to work out that way if you want to get your line up and running, switch up your designs, show off more than just "T-Shirts", so many people just show the work they've created on T-shirts, show something different, like some jeans your created, or some caps, watches you've did art on, shades, etc.

Controversy sells, and if I ever started a clothing line, the messages I WOULD have on my shirt's would grab people's attention because they would be "out there" in a way, whether it's dealing with politics, racism, sex quotes, sports, quotes for different holidays, etc....I would have something for everybody, but I'd create them in a R rated way......and go from there, just to get the "interest up", then when I do, I can switch into another lane and have total freedom to make the shirt's I attended to make when I first came up with my idea. By that time I'd already have the people checking for my label.

Originally Posted by yanky

Whatever happened to Phat Farm?
They still make stuff, it's just not in the limelight with other brands that are rising. Phat Farm hasn't gone the way of Dada
Supreme or And 1, they're just not as big as they were. More competition I guess.

They still make stuff, it's just not in the limelight with other brands that are rising. Phat Farm hasn't gone the way of Dada
Supreme or And 1, they're just not as big as they were. More competition I guess.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Oo I see. If I'm not mistaken fubu is still big in Asia correct?

pastry_shoes_fab_cookie_boot_chocolate_cherry.jpg

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFi1QV1haekNVM2hHenA3VnM3X2lMY0EAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

Pastry's
sick.gif
roll.gif

chea.. i was in the philippines last month and i saw a fubu store , they got new t shirt designs tho 
laugh.gif

chea.. i was in the philippines last month and i saw a fubu store , they got new t shirt designs tho 
laugh.gif

Not sure, I'm just goin by what I notice here.
laugh.gif
I completely forgot about Pastry's

Not sure, I'm just goin by what I notice here.
laugh.gif
I completely forgot about Pastry's

Originally Posted by realtalkjohnny

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i heard Fubu did try to rebrand themselves. That Freestyle Friday dude (Bones I think) was like "Don't front on Fubu, we back"
roll.gif

Originally Posted by realtalkjohnny

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i heard Fubu did try to rebrand themselves. That Freestyle Friday dude (Bones I think) was like "Don't front on Fubu, we back"
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom