Do you know anyone that started a clothing line that failed miserably?

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

when it comes to getting a clothing line "poppin" you have to touch a certain demographic first. You also have to have the financial backing that it takes to start one. Everybody isnt going to like your clothes, their will be critics. Plus if your going to sell them you have to decide whether you're going to take the internet approach or do it by hand in your local area. You could do both, but taking the internet approach has it's downsides, unless you have a facebook with a crap load of friend's how are you going to get the word out about your clothing line? and out of all of them friend's who is really going to pay attention and buy one of your designs?

Another big step is getting your clothes into an actual store. I think once you hit that stage things will go much much smoother. It's the process of getting to that stage that is the hard part. I'm sure there's paper work involved and some more stuff. No one is just going to take your product and move it into there store like everything's all good in the hood. Alot of people claim they have crazy fashion sense but they really don't. Just coming up with a logo isn't going to get your clothing line off on a rocket ship. You'll have to create something that get's people's interest. LRG did this perfectly with the designs on the shirts they came up with and their stand out hoodies, they targeted a younger audience with this and that audience paid attention. I've seen so many clothing lines where the lead guy would have his logo on 10 different color shirts and go on forums and ask people to give their feedback. It's not going to work out that way if you want to get your line up and running, switch up your designs, show off more than just "T-Shirts", so many people just show the work they've created on T-shirts, show something different, like some jeans your created, or some caps, watches you've did art on, shades, etc.

Controversy sells, and if I ever started a clothing line, the messages I WOULD have on my shirt's would grab people's attention because they would be "out there" in a way, whether it's dealing with politics, racism, sex quotes, sports, quotes for different holidays, etc....I would have something for everybody, but I'd create them in a R rated way......and go from there, just to get the "interest up", then when I do, I can switch into another lane and have total freedom to make the shirt's I attended to make when I first came up with my idea. By that time I'd already have the people checking for my label.
Yea I understand you would have to make stuff that appeals to the young crowd.  I myself have always appreciated the much simpler pieces of clothing.  I hate anything that is overly flashy. 

LRG is one of my favorite brands, and I still wear it daily despite people saying its dead and stuff.  I only rock the simpler stuff, but to get your recognition for the simple stuff, it seems like you have to make all the stuff that stands out and catches people's attention first. 

Alot of these brands fail because these kids aren't in it 110%.  I'm a firm believer that if you set your sights on something, and theres nothing else you want more than its simply going to happen.  This applies for anything, its just hard finding something that you can get that passionate about, and most people will go through life without ever finding that something. 

Before they know its they have a wife and kids and mad obligations and they're essentially dead in my opinion.  Some will make it out of the slump, but most won't.

Being young with a decent chunk of change on you is pretty much priceless, your potential and the time you have can't be bought.  That's why I'm out here everyday trying to find that thing and now that I'm unemployed I got alot of time and a chunk of change to pursue whatever I wish.  I honestly couldn't ask for more. 

when it comes to getting a clothing line "poppin" you have to touch a certain demographic first. You also have to have the financial backing that it takes to start one. Everybody isnt going to like your clothes, their will be critics. Plus if your going to sell them you have to decide whether you're going to take the internet approach or do it by hand in your local area. You could do both, but taking the internet approach has it's downsides, unless you have a facebook with a crap load of friend's how are you going to get the word out about your clothing line? and out of all of them friend's who is really going to pay attention and buy one of your designs?

Another big step is getting your clothes into an actual store. I think once you hit that stage things will go much much smoother. It's the process of getting to that stage that is the hard part. I'm sure there's paper work involved and some more stuff. No one is just going to take your product and move it into there store like everything's all good in the hood. Alot of people claim they have crazy fashion sense but they really don't. Just coming up with a logo isn't going to get your clothing line off on a rocket ship. You'll have to create something that get's people's interest. LRG did this perfectly with the designs on the shirts they came up with and their stand out hoodies, they targeted a younger audience with this and that audience paid attention. I've seen so many clothing lines where the lead guy would have his logo on 10 different color shirts and go on forums and ask people to give their feedback. It's not going to work out that way if you want to get your line up and running, switch up your designs, show off more than just "T-Shirts", so many people just show the work they've created on T-shirts, show something different, like some jeans your created, or some caps, watches you've did art on, shades, etc.

Controversy sells, and if I ever started a clothing line, the messages I WOULD have on my shirt's would grab people's attention because they would be "out there" in a way, whether it's dealing with politics, racism, sex quotes, sports, quotes for different holidays, etc....I would have something for everybody, but I'd create them in a R rated way......and go from there, just to get the "interest up", then when I do, I can switch into another lane and have total freedom to make the shirt's I attended to make when I first came up with my idea. By that time I'd already have the people checking for my label.
Yea I understand you would have to make stuff that appeals to the young crowd.  I myself have always appreciated the much simpler pieces of clothing.  I hate anything that is overly flashy. 

LRG is one of my favorite brands, and I still wear it daily despite people saying its dead and stuff.  I only rock the simpler stuff, but to get your recognition for the simple stuff, it seems like you have to make all the stuff that stands out and catches people's attention first. 

Alot of these brands fail because these kids aren't in it 110%.  I'm a firm believer that if you set your sights on something, and theres nothing else you want more than its simply going to happen.  This applies for anything, its just hard finding something that you can get that passionate about, and most people will go through life without ever finding that something. 

Before they know its they have a wife and kids and mad obligations and they're essentially dead in my opinion.  Some will make it out of the slump, but most won't.

Being young with a decent chunk of change on you is pretty much priceless, your potential and the time you have can't be bought.  That's why I'm out here everyday trying to find that thing and now that I'm unemployed I got alot of time and a chunk of change to pursue whatever I wish.  I honestly couldn't ask for more. 

Originally Posted by Fadeaway88

exactly, thats the world we live in today, unless you can get a bunch of entertainer's to walk around in your stuff.

Originally Posted by Fadeaway88

exactly, thats the world we live in today, unless you can get a bunch of entertainer's to walk around in your stuff.

Originally Posted by ErickM713

Originally Posted by Kramer

80% of the clothes line threads on NT?

Beat me to it 
laugh.gif

I was gonna 3/4ths of NT.

I wouldn't say 3/4ths....maybe 75%

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by realtalkjohnny

Originally Posted by yanky
chea.. i was in the philippines last month and i saw a fubu store , they got new t shirt designs tho 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i heard Fubu did try to rebrand themselves. That Freestyle Friday dude (Bones I think) was like "Don't front on Fubu, we back"
roll.gif

i thought fubu ran coogi now?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by yanky
chea.. i was in the philippines last month and i saw a fubu store , they got new t shirt designs tho 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i heard Fubu did try to rebrand themselves. That Freestyle Friday dude (Bones I think) was like "Don't front on Fubu, we back"
roll.gif

nerd.gif

cater to the masses to eat with the classes
there are a couple of houston area clothing stores that have blown up.
but they cater to the hispanic crowd, low budget clothing. 
also rather than clothing get into accessories businesses.  big money in that and the mark up is crazy
would much rather be forever 21 or express than an overnight sensation

cater to the masses to eat with the classes
there are a couple of houston area clothing stores that have blown up.
but they cater to the hispanic crowd, low budget clothing. 
also rather than clothing get into accessories businesses.  big money in that and the mark up is crazy
would much rather be forever 21 or express than an overnight sensation

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

nerd.gif

Just based on stuff I read, Fubu & Coogi have nothin to do with each other. Plus dude was fully decked down in Fubu when he said that. I
do know that Enyce is ran through Sean John now though.

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

nerd.gif

Just based on stuff I read, Fubu & Coogi have nothin to do with each other. Plus dude was fully decked down in Fubu when he said that. I
do know that Enyce is ran through Sean John now though.

From what I see here, they charge like they are an established brand which I see as a huge mistake.  They need to start at a lower price.

From what I see here, they charge like they are an established brand which I see as a huge mistake.  They need to start at a lower price.

Well nobody is trying to pay more than $15 for a no name brand. A bunch of these "new" lines have shirts costing $30+

Well nobody is trying to pay more than $15 for a no name brand. A bunch of these "new" lines have shirts costing $30+

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

Originally Posted by E3LAL

you may have a point, but would you respect a brand that was relatively cheap or one who's price reflects "exclusivity"? camry or ferrari?
If I am going to spend money, I'm going to spend money on a proven product.  Plus, I don't see what is so exclusive about a start up brand
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by wHo NicE as HiM

Originally Posted by E3LAL

you may have a point, but would you respect a brand that was relatively cheap or one who's price reflects "exclusivity"? camry or ferrari?
If I am going to spend money, I'm going to spend money on a proven product.  Plus, I don't see what is so exclusive about a start up brand
nerd.gif

THE ISSUE IS THESE WANNA BE CLOTHING BRANDS ARE NOT A BRAND. JUST A BUNCHA FOOLS THINKIN THEY A CLOTHING LINE WHEN THEYRE JUST A T-SHIRT MERCHANT.

THE ISSUE IS THESE WANNA BE CLOTHING BRANDS ARE NOT A BRAND. JUST A BUNCHA FOOLS THINKIN THEY A CLOTHING LINE WHEN THEYRE JUST A T-SHIRT MERCHANT.

the only clothing line's or brands i know are successful are dudes who own their own boutique. if its a hot sneaker/clothing spot that sells good stuff, people will show their support or whatever to that store and wear that store's specific brand

other than that, most people i know just fail miserably

the only clothing line's or brands i know are successful are dudes who own their own boutique. if its a hot sneaker/clothing spot that sells good stuff, people will show their support or whatever to that store and wear that store's specific brand

other than that, most people i know just fail miserably

Back
Top Bottom