Do you know anyone who has used a gun for self defense?

Do you know anyone who has used a gun for self defense?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My family carries guns for self defense locked up and everything

Busted them out twice for two different instances of people trying to break in.

My dad works graveyard shift and I'm in southern california (I'm from the bay) so my mom is all alone.

One of these attempted break ins happened when my mom was alone at night. Yeah I would say my mom would be in a **** ton of trouble if guns were banned

Welp, I guess we just turn the other cheek, let more massacres take place, more innocent people lose their lives while we continue to sell guns like sneakers to any and everyone that wants one. I am sure this country will be moving in the right direction. :rolleyes

Reality is,  it's a very cold world out there and it is in our nature to destroy ourselves. Banning guns isn't going to protect you from an individual who wants to cause you harm. It will do the exact opposite leaving you helpless. Guns aren't going anywhere even if they were made illegal. Drugs are illegal and are very easy to obtain, you need to apply this same logic to guns. The black market exist for a reason and banning something doesn't mean it disappears. People who argue for the banishment of guns need to realize that in doing so you are giving up the right to defend yourself against those that have no regard for your philosophy on life and will have no problems taking from you when you can properly defend yourself. I do wish we lived in a world where we didn't have guns, but that's nothing more than a fantasy.
its a lose-lose anyway you put it....While not to sound like some sort of theorist or conspiracist... if the govt... so wish to they could eliminate/solve the issues associated with guns...I think ppl often forget who powerful and manipulating and how much control our govt... has on the everyday lives the happenings and events.

I agree with you in the fact that a black market will exist and always will exist... but in all honestly i dont believe, and the current state of affairs confirms it..the govt. puts forth a great deal of effort in stiffling the black market... not just on guns but drugs etc...

Ive come to realize we as a nation are a bandaid nation... we allow certain things to occur knowingly the ramifications and the outcomes... and do little to nothing to prevent them.. we just wait until situations become so severe, to we address them, and then at best we for lack of better words do just enough to shush the critics... and appease the masses...ala like a bandaid/bandage to slow down the bleeding.

We as a nation for the most part dont have a nip it in the bud mentality...and often times alot of the things such as guns/drugs etc... are overlooked and even allowed funded by our govt... to benefit certain ppl, and to cripple hurt certain ppl....it is only when things become "out of hand" or ppl speak out the govt. decides to advocate changes etc... and again like i said dit is just the minimum, just enough to shush the crowd.

im not against ppl owning guns as i am a gun owner myself, but i do see many ppl points in regards of how often has it been beneficial for use to have one, and how often has the intended purpose for owning a gun be validated? And is owning a gun moreso like having an alarm... a means for ppl to have a false sense of security and safety.

Lets be honest whether you have a gun or not if someone is out to get you...catch you off guard etc... you having a gun isnt going to change the outcome. You caught in a random shooting, a driveby, a in home invasion while sleep. if someone has the upperhand/catch you slipping you just gonna get got. Many times ppl have had guns and are killed. Only way a gun can save you or be effective is if your in a situation in which you are alert, and or a face to face confrontation.

Even if there were so called govt. stricter laws... a good amount of criminal activities in which guns are used, many of the culprits obtained the gun illegally or on the black market the street etc...

I have my peacemaker to protect my family...AK-47 is my peacemaker and a .44 magnum is to protect myself in the car.

Last edited:
Welp, I guess we just turn the other cheek, let more massacres take place, more innocent people lose their lives while we continue to sell guns like sneakers to any and everyone that wants one. I am sure this country will be moving in the right direction.
eyes.gif
That's what makes all this so interesting. People say you cant stop selling guns due to black market and such yet if we continue to flood the country with guns how can any of us feel safe knowing everyone is strapped?

The way guns are viewed by people in this country is the real problem. I remember growing up a gun was a BIG deal. You never touched a gun or even wanted to. Now everyone knows someone with a gun and kids cant wait to get old enough to buy a gun just to have one. 

Last edited:
Its not about banishment but it needs to be significantly more difficult to purchase a weapon in this country...

but there's always the "underground" aspect of it that will never go away. I myself know plenty of people with guns , not legally obtained but they have guns and they will never be effected by any "banishment" or new gun laws because they're off the grid essentially when it comes to the weapons they possess.

Oh absolutely, but most of these mass shootings that aren't gang violence type of things are from legal weapons.....hey if more regulation can even save one life and allows cops to track spending patterns on ammo and whatnot then I'm all for it...and so should actual gun owners. if you are responsible owner you can wait longer to own your weapon, thats a sacrifice you gotta be able to make....you're trying to own a weapon used to KILL animals, people, no other use. Even knives have other uses for practical things, guns have no other purpose and it needs to be more difficult to get a legal weapon.....guns are so engrained in our culture here that there will always be illegal gun ownership but these lunatics get there's legally and that needs to be more regulated.

I think its VA where they tried to propose a law that you can only get one gun a month (who the **** needs more than 12 guns in a calender year) and that didnt even pass....that literally blows my mind

The problem with banning guns is there are already SOOOOOOOOO many out there. Even if production halted completely for the next 50 years a huge black market would still exist. Because all guns being sold would be sold illegally the most likely people to own guns would be criminals. IMO banning guns totally would make things get progressively worse for a long time to come.
I said this in another thread but, cowardly shooters always target places where guns are prohibited. Crime rates are much higher in states where guns are very hard to obtain legally. Look at Chicago... Its impossible to get a handgun legally even with no criminal record, but you got 13 y/o kids that can find you illegal bodyburners in less than an hour.
Look up statistics on the lower crime rates in states with where CC permits are allowed. Criminals will always find ways to get guns. Allowing responsible citizens to bear arms has proven to be one of the best crime deterrents because it evens the playing field and makes criminals not only question if the crime is worth the person they are trying to robs life, but also if the crime is worth their own life.

This!

It's too late to ban guns...taking away people's guns right now is the worst thing that can happen. It'll mean the only people with guns are the cops and the bad guys, everyone else is just a target. Not too many criminals will attempt to rob a dwelling knowing that there is a a gun in the house that can drop them just as fast as they are willing to drop someone. If anything...the gun laws should be the same across the board. I have to go through a rigorous background check and months of BS to my my gun license in Massachusetts where as my cousin in Texas who turns 18 and goes to the gun store and buys a AR-15 with only an ID to show he's old enough. So if anything they gotta change how legal guns are acquired. They also gotta make the penalties more harsh for those who got guns illegally.

Welp, I guess we just turn the other cheek, let more massacres take place, more innocent people lose their lives while we continue to sell guns like sneakers to any and everyone that wants one. I am sure this country will be moving in the right direction. :rolleyes

That's what makes all this so interesting. People say you cant stop selling guns due to black market and such yet if we continue to flood the country with guns how can any of us feel safe knowing everyone is strapped?

The way guns are viewed by people in this country is the real problem. I remember growing up a gun was a BIG deal. You never touched a gun or even wanted to. Now everyone knows someone with a gun and kids cant wait to get old enough to buy a gun just to have one. 

Its our culture, and an engrained mentality that our country has....Canadians aren't that much different than us with the music, language, and such and this type of thing doesn't happen nearly as often there.....and the people saying more guns and strap everybody so that these things don't happen as often are really troubling to me....these dudes planning mass murders are ready and prepared to die or plan on taking their own life, that would only make matters worse.

We need to get rid of all these guns. People need to learn how to fight. If you can't fight, you gotta learn or don't start nothing.
Not only is this response narrow minded, it's completely out of touch with reality.
What's reality? You get rid of the gun manufacturers.

You think Zimmerman is chasing people down if he doesn't have a gun and may get his butt kicked? You think that old guy is going to shoot that kid at the gas station if he doesn't have a gun?

You will see a lot of supposed "tough guys" tuck their tail between their legs and go home if they know they have to put in real work and not just pull a trigger.
But what about the loonies that decide to shoot up movie theaters full of women and children, or decide that they want to just open fire on a elementary school where most of the people inside are not over 10 years old?

The Zimmerman and Gas Station situations have more to do with Florida having that dumb Stand Your Ground law. I do agree that both of the shooters in those situations probably had inflated ego/confidence because they were carrying, but still has more to do with the lack of consequence for taking a human life in Florida...

You think guns being illegal or harder to come buy will stop a maniac?

Last edited:
It's called checks and balance.

One person having a gun around 100 unarmed people is not balanced at all.

EVeryone having a gun is not balanced at all either.

Yes.

BIG FAME ONE was in a gun fight in his early 20s.

I carry a pistol on me, but ive never had to pull it.

Oh absolutely, but most of these mass shootings that aren't gang violence type of things are from legal weapons.....hey if more regulation can even save one life and allows cops to track spending patterns on ammo and whatnot then I'm all for it...and so should actual gun owners. if you are responsible owner you can wait longer to own your weapon, thats a sacrifice you gotta be able to make....you're trying to own a weapon used to KILL animals, people, no other use. Even knives have other uses for practical things, guns have no other purpose and it needs to be more difficult to get a legal weapon.....guns are so engrained in our culture here that there will always be illegal gun ownership but these lunatics get there's legally and that needs to be more regulated.
I think its VA where they tried to propose a law that you can only get one gun a month (who the **** needs more than 12 guns in a calender year) and that didnt even pass....that literally blows my mind
i dont know if you meant it that way but it almost seems as if you are saying mass shootings>everyday random shootings/gang shootings/robberies etc... in terms of gun control prevention. I mean 30 ppl being killed by guns is 30 ppl killed by guns... yea in many ppl mines 30 ppl at once seems more tragic..but at the end of the day its still 30 lives gone, regardless if its at once or in the course of a week a month etc...

Even if you made tighter restrictions on legal weapons... to be honest all it would do is make it less likely that lil hunter/scott/billy takes his dads hnting rifle, or pick the lock on his dads gun cabinent and reak havoc in small suburbia... It would not stop or prevent the daily actions murders etc that go on in urban/city populations... So end of the day yea it might curb situations like a mass murder from the outskirts of iowa... but it would even under your admission stop/slow down the often murders in lets say a nyc, a dc, and la.  As you hve eluded many of these ppl obtain weapons illegally.

No, I don't.

I have a question, NT fam. How does a civilian like me go about acquiring a license to bear arms? Am I able to go to classes and what not to obtain a firearm license?

first step is to check your local police department, they probably have forms to apply for a permit. For example, NJ State Police has "Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun". It all depends on your local and state laws.

IMO

- Guns need to be very, very hard to be acquired legally.

-Start giving out 10 years mandatory time for each bullet fired in a case.

-Put a ridiculous tax on bullets. Chris Rock was joking when he said make bullets expensive, but it's actually a smart idea. Dudes committing petty crimes, and even dudes selling bullets in the black market are not trying to take a near thousand dollar loss for some bullets.

-Make harsher penalties for getting caught with an illegal gun.

Nothing will stop the tragedies like Aurora and now Connecticut though. Those dudes not right in the head, guns being illegal would mean nothing to them.

I agree with everything you said and here is my stance.
1) you spoke of drugs being illegal but still are able to be manufactured, IMO i dont think people are going to be running around growing and manufacturing guns in their backyards
2) Out of all the instances where guns were used to inflict harm on others, how many of those instances have it been documented people fighting back with their own guns. It seems that guns are being used more to hurt people than defending themselves. I just think people believe they are safer by owning guns.
Just my opinion

Exactly...we should encourage Iran and North Korea to have nuclear weapons? If everyone has them...the world will be more safe!

NRA hates logic

JM

-Put a ridiculous tax on bullets. Chris Rock was joking when he said make bullets expensive, but it's actually a smart idea. Dudes committing petty crimes, and even dudes selling bullets in the black market are not trying to take a near thousand dollar loss for some bullets.
We tax tobacco users a ton all because tobacco kills and want people to quit smoking.

I think a huge gun and ammo tax is a great idea.

let's get something square right now....comparing any other nation to America is futile because the people in this country act/think differently than others.

Taking guns away would be like the war on drugs and prohibition. Looks nice on paper but people will get what they want....it may be harder....but they'll get it....and the ones that do are the one's with the worst motives. That's why I think that a ban on guns will still result in people killing others.

Restricting gun availability would be the best thing to me. Like I said in the other thread before people got their panties in bunches is that there needs to be a difficult process in getting a gun. There should be a system in place that examines the person as a whole and on different levels before they get the okay to have a gun....psych eval, prior history, run ins with the law, wait period, seminar classes and a trip to a morgue where they can look at bodies resulting from shootings....stuff like that.

The important thing is to stress what the person is getting the gun for, examining their overall profile and letting them know the weight of shooting someone.

Back
Top Bottom